Barry, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Barry Camping Reviews
Our family favorite

We have been to Wakonda twice and really enjoyed the RV parking area. There is plenty of space to spread out, the hookups are well maintained, and the bath house is also kept up. The small lakes don't allow motors over 9hp so they is not much nose to be concerned with. Each parking site has steps down to the lake for bank fishing. There are also John boats and kayaks for rent. Finally, there is a sandy beach for swimming. The rates are very cheap as it is a state park.

Camp,cave,and winery!

Clean hot showers, nuff said.

Small but very nice snack shop that serves cold and hot sandwiches. They will deliver your meal to the winery, nice touch. The winery also had live music hat wasn’t loud and shut down early. The grounds is only 2 miles outside of Hannibal and is walkable if fit. My buddy and I walked in but took Uber back.

Nice place.

Nice campground, bit overpriced

Nice clean campground. We were in off season with pool being closed etc… thought prices were too high for not having any amenities. One bath house was very dirty. I told front desk and they said well it’s going to close soon for the winter. I still think they should keep it cleaned until it’s closed. We did like the nice rv sites though.

A fanatastic little place to camp

A small and not crowded place to camp with all you need and hospitality. Great for tent camping and hiking.

Army Corps of Engineers sute

Very quiet and beautiful here. We are on site 93 with a partial view of the Mark Twain lake. Had to use blocks site goes down hill. Stayed 2 nights for $18 total with National senior pass. Electric hookup only. 91 degrees needed fan air movement. Water and dump are $24 a night. They also have tent camping.

Great family campground

Really love this Campground! The owners are a young family, with a bunch of kids! They live across the road to handle any issues. The lodge/office is open til 8. Level packed gravel sites. We have a 40’ class A. Plenty of pull thru sites. Back in sites are great too. Lots of trees. Good shade. Well kept grounds. 2 catch and release ponds. Playground. Fire pit. AT&T wireless service. Every weekend has an event. Bluegrass to crafts. Right outside of Jacksonville, Ashland, Virginia, and close enough to Springfield. We were there last weekend and will be there again at the end of the month. Happy Camping!

Great park

This park is very clean and well maintained. There is a lot to do from hunting, fishing, hiking, and more. There are usually a lot of horse back riders on the hiking trails. Overall a great place to spend a weekend

Awesome spot!

This is an Army Corps spot which are our favorites to stay in. Sites were large, level and easy to back into. Facilities were clean. There is a marina with an ice cream shop and the kids can feed the fish. We found a few trails that led to the lake which was a lot of fun. The only downside is that there was no place to swim. All in all, we really liked Ray Behrens!

Quiet and relaxed

very nice easy access very quiet grat ammenities

Not my favorite campsites

We stayed in the full hookups. It’s a very uneven gravel pad to start with. The campfire sits right next to the camper and the sites are very close together. So the sites are far from glamorous. But there were two close by trails that were very nice. They had offered a class about Mo snakes and a class on how to build fire with flint that our kids really enjoyed. We didn’t make it to the beach because we enjoyed the creek so much. The kids loved using the net to catch small fish and crawdads, throwing rocks and playing in the water. It was fun to explore. So 3 stars cause the campsites were not great but lots of fun to be had on the actual campgrounds! We will still be going back.

Beautiful park with everything you need!

This is a perfect place to enjoy with the family. Plenty of gorgeous campsites and a lake to swim and kayak! And if you need a place to camp with your horse they have an entire equestrian section. Close to St. Louis but far enough out to enjoy peace and quiet!

Friendly, quiet, clean

We were fortunate to find this quiet campground just south of Rushville. Friendly staff, clean restroom & showers. Will definitely stay here again.

Great tent and Camper site

This is the most common place my friends and family camp at for Mark Twain Lake. Very clean and well kept. The kids bike around on the pavement and play in the little park. Great access to a few coves too. Very close to Black Jack Marina and a boat launch.

Maybe ok for RVs

We camped in a couple of cabins years ago and weren’t too fond of them. These were the older cabins in the back with the RVs. Very thin walled. The place had a sewer smell but I heard they were fixing it.

Very clean park

Very well kept park with lots of fishing areas.

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Master Cook Station at Mark Twain State Park

Campground Review:

Mark Twain state Park is an absolute blast. approximately 30 minutes from Hannibal MO this park sits on Mark Twain Lake. Several hiking trails in the area will get you in touch with nature and an abundance of deer. Large playgrounds in the camping area's as well as visitor center areas. All loops in this park have electric and basic sites. No water hookups aside from host sites. Best part is all shower houses fairly new. We never located any vault toilets but found all three loops had their own shower house.

Park has a boat ramp with ample parking and if you have better luck than I did a fish cleaning station. While having a boat ramp close may be a deterrent it was rare to have much boat noise with the tall trees surrounding these large private sites.

We stayed in site 76 in puma loop which was a sloping site but it was massive. The lots on either side of ours were similar in layout but much more level. 76 also has a path to the waterfront which we utilized daily.

It rained on us for most of our stay we found Mark twain state park to be well worth the trip.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the GCI Outdoors Master Cook Station.

While looking at GCIOutdoors.com for the right item for my family to try out we were amazed at the function of their site.  We were able to compare multiple items flawlessly and despite  much debate locate an item we believed may reduce our overall need to pack everything including the kitchen sink. The cook station didn't immediately jump off the page for my wife. She had her heart set on a new rocker chair of which GCI Outdoors has an amazing selection. However, I was able to win her over after pointing out the endless options the Master Cook Station (AKA My Kitchen) Offers.

My Kitchen provides functionality as a table, a cook top, a drying rack, food storage, and does so taking up the same amount of space as a folding chair. Our first night in camp the dreaded dinner bell began ringing and my loving wife walked over to our new kitchen. After cooking, plating, and eating from this beast she looked at me and said, "Never again will I doubt your decision making about anything." (or at least thats how I remember it.) She actual was really impressed how this cook station had taking the stress out of meal time. With a built in sink we were able to cook, eat, and clean from a singular location and when done we could either fold it up and tuck it away or use it for evening activities.

As a pop up camper space is always limited and at a premium. The GCI Outdoor Master Cook Station not only met our expectations it surpassed them. This swiss army table will be a must have among all of our friends and the high quality of this product tells me that we will get to show it off for quite some time.

Quiet, nice lake!

Love this place, it’s quiet and peaceful. Not a lot to do but they are trying. Tent camping, RV and a few cabin rentals, boat docks too where you can bring your boat! There are some hiking trails and pavilions and a softball field. There’s a stage they sometimes have plays and bands. I would give it a 5 stars (it’s in my hometown) but they really need some kind of draw. One shower house and a small playground. It’s worth a stay if you are in the area. It’s clean and neat.

Great place!

I’ve camped and hiked at Siloam Springs several times. Great hiking trails for all ages. Nice hiking loop for backpacking camping. Had a great time taking a scout troop out on the lake. I actually haven’t fished it much but everyone around here loves to catch trout there.

Nice park

We enjoy this park, nice hiking trails and lake. Also has a camp store and boat rentals.

Excellent campground

Well maintained campground with clean restrooms, we love camping here.

This is a great park!

Only about a hour northwest of St. Louis. This is a great park to go to without driving for hours. There is plenty of nature to enjoy! There is a lake for swimming. There is also several nice hikes.

Beautiful State Park

A state park with FULL Hook-ups!  Cuivre River state park is a nice hidden treasure for a weekend getaway from St. Louis.  Great trails to hike and a sandy beach to dip in for a quick swim.  Did I mention full hook-ups in a state park.  It would make a great return place for a weekend in the fall to see the colors as the trees turn.  I would highly suggest getting a screen house to enjoy the evenings outdoors to keep the gnats and mosquitos away.

Quiet

Nice quiet CG. Small lake and good fishing

Great campground and general park

The campground has a lot of very nice campsites. Some are close enough to be near others, which is nice when you are camping with friends. There are also sights that are a bit more sectioned off from neighboring campsites. There are multiple trails, but my favorite is the one around the lake. Be prepared for it to take a little longer than map states if you stop to look at things and take pictures. Trails are well marked. There is a beach to swim and play in the lake. They rent kayaks if you want to get out and explore the lake.

Nice retreat!

Nice place! Good balance of shade and no shade spots. Don’t fee as though you are on top of everyone and even the generators won’t be too loud tonight. Little buggy and gotta watch for ticks, but this is camping and you are in nature.

Favorite

We've been to most of the parks in the stl region, this is one of our favorites. Great hiking, boating, fishing, everything can be found here.

Absolutely love the tent sites

They are spread out and truly feel like you are camping with out being right on top of each other

My families favorite place to camp

My family has been here multiple times and is one of the cleanest, nicest parks we have camped at. They always have great programs running too. The last time we we t they had a birds of prey presentation

Very clean, level camp grounds

This time we went with our Cub Scout group and stayed at one of the family sites. There was a water main breaks so the outhouse was our only option for restrooms and no clean water. The overall grounds were great and liked the ability to walk down to the lake from the the campsites.