The best WALK IN camping near
Pierce , IDAHO

Most Recent Pierce Camping Reviews
Nice area but no water anywhere

When there is no running water at cites, I like to filter my own.

There’s no water areas like the cam grounds west to this along the river, so bring plenty of extra liquids especially when it’s hot.

As an avid star gazer, I found the levels of light pollution to be low. Not quite as good as the sawtooth mountains but you could see a lot more stars at this spot compared to others I’ve been to.

This area does close down mid fall season, so don’t expect to do any winter camping here.

When we backpacked this area we did not bring enough water to be happy mostly because I hoped to find some water somewhere and carrying the water is tiresome.

There are no restroom which makes sense and did not bother me.

Great for day use

I came here to hang out during a logging sports event and I really enjoyed the doc area where I sat with my feet in the water. We did not swim (except my dog), but we enjoyed the landscape and the lush green grass they were growing.

I do want to camp in this park but we were camping at another location with the logger sports team.

We had the place to ourselves!

The reservoir was pretty low but the camp site was incredible #48. We had water and electric. Cool little guided nature trail for an evening walk with out little one to learn about animal tracks

Three Rivers Resort in Idaho

So, I’m not sure why “resort” is in the title, this certainly not a resort in the traditional sense. But, this is a great place to stop if headed up the Lochsa River and has something for everyone.

The “resort” has riverfront cabins, double occupancy motel rooms, A frame cabins, RV spots with hookups and a large tent camping area for motorcyclists, bicyclists and hikers. The mix of campers makes thing interesting. Add to this that the river raft guides take out at this location and this is a busy and fun place to spend a night. It has been very busy every time I have stopped, often full of RV’s with families spending a long weekend.

There is a small market, restaurant and bar, and an outdoor pool and hot tub. The market is well stocked with most of what you might have forgot to pack. They sell firewood as well. The bar offers typical burgers and bar fare and was lively enough even in peak Covid. This is Idaho after all, Covid seems like an afterthought in most of central and North Idaho.

The resort is located along a sweeping bend of the Lochsa river, which the highway follows on the opposite side. With the proximity of the highway, the RV’s in the campground, the cabins, etc, this is not a tranquil wilderness campground. It is however a great spot to spend the night while passing through.

I was on a motorcycle and there were probably 8-10 other riders tent camping. Several fires were going and folks were friendly and outgoing. There was no cell service for AT&T, but the market and bar had WiFi that you could access by sitting outside the front door.

I’ve stayed here 3 times and it will always be on my list when passing through this part of Idaho.

Beautiful Camping!

This is a backpacking trail. The first half mile is difficult but then the trail levels out and is easy for many miles. There’s free dispersed camping sites starting after 4.5 miles down the trail. There was wood on site when we went in July 2020. It is possible to get to the water (if you have a hydration filter pack), but it’s not a beach like shore. I did swim, and the water gets very deep very quickly off the first two campsites. This was my favorite trip this year so far, as it was a good challenge with very rewarding views.

Pricey and not very private

Decent campground, but I likely wouldn’t stay there again. $20 per night, hookups are available and there were most RVers there. The spaces were all very close together so there wasn’t much privacy. Bathrooms seemed reasonably clean and there was fresh water spigots available. I got there on a Thursday night on August 27th and most of the non-reservable spots were full, we may have actually pulled into the last available space. If you turn left towards the Giant Cedar trailhead instead of right towards the campground there are a number of free dispersed camping sites along that road, they looked pretty private and spacious. If we have known that before we paid we would have stayed in one of those instead. We drove up that road and up the mountain and went on a short hike to Perkins Cedar Grove, the forest was beautiful and well worth a visit.

Absolutely perfect!

We arrived on Wednesday with a reservation and stayed through Sunday morning. The drive from Orofino was a long and winding road along the river and oh so beautiful. The campground was clean, had flush toilets and drinking water, plus a dump station. There were plenty of open spots all weekend. Lying in the river was refreshing and recharged our inner batteries. Can’t wait to go back.

Things change

We used to pull horse trailers in there all the time - 20 years ago

We won’t be pulling anything in there again. Gained some plumbing experience due to large “pot holes” that can swallow trailer tires whole.

Forest service has forgotten about the road and let it fall into dismal shape. Would be best if traveled without a trailer and with 4x4.

Campsites are there but grasses have overgrown most of the site.

Assume that road is in poor shape and sites are best for tents.

Lots of amenities

This reservoir camping area has many amenities which make it nice. Great docks on the water, swimming, fishing, bathrooms, trash cans, and even a fish cleaning station. I like how the RV sites have water and electricity unlike most campgrounds in the area. This campground is located conveniently near Troy, and is about a 25 minute drive to Moscow. There is also a large Pavilion which is perfect for a large get together.

Waterfront Sites

Although this campground is right on the road, it also has easy access to the reservoir where you can fish, swim, and boat. There are life jackets for use here next to the dock. Sites include a fire pit, grill, and picnic table. There is also water available and pit toilets for use. There is a wonderful pavilion just across the road which is perfect for large gatherings.