the dyrt
City of Rocks National Reserve, IDAHO
Most Recent City of Rocks National Reserve Camping Reviews
Beautiful, inexpensive, overall great experience!

We went in the beginning of July and the wild flowers were gorgeous, my kids were in heaven! Our site was not too close to any others except the other one we booked with friends. Decent bathrooms. Close to Lake Cleveland. Great birding in the actual campground. This campground is one of the best places to find the Cassia Crossbill. We will definitely be going back!

Glorious Day Hike

Although reluctant to share, I absolutely enjoy visiting this area. June through August are it's most popular season for visitors. There's a bathroom and base camp available at the start of the trailhead. What goods you pack in with you must go out with you. There is no access to dumping trash. It's a 2.5 mile hike to the first lake. It inclines all the way up. You are treated with beautiful back country views, met with several switch backs before reaching the first lake. There are 3 lakes and past the 3rd lake you are able to hike up to the top towards the cliff rocks where you can see the view down the lakes where ot loops back down to the 2nd lake. I have not hiked up that part, but I hear it's challenging, so be sure to have good hiking shoes. Based off my experience, the hike up to the lakes is dog friendly and baby carrying friendly. Fishing is also available as they refill the lakes every year.

Best Campground Ever

This is easily my favorite campground. Ever. The sites are clean and comfortable. All spots are well maintained but still feel organic and don't encroach on the wildlife. I especially like how close the sites are to the climbing, which is the main draw of City of Rocks for me. There is an excellent guide book you can pick up at Rock City in Almo but routes are also posted on Mnt. Project.

Water: There are two places to get water, which is free and tasty. The pump at Bath Rock is my go-to.

Toilets: There are pit toilets, which aren't gross and there is always plenty of toilet paper inside.

Trash: There are trash and recycling cans at Bath Rock.

Cell Reception: I get enough service (Verizon) up on top of Bath Rock to make phone calls.

Other stuff: The rangers are helpful and kind and sometimes there is an artist in residence you can meet up with. If you are a good, responsible camper who cares about protecting beautiful places, I highly recommend this campground! If you are a garbage leaving jerk, you should stay home. If sites are full, there is BLM camping nearby that isn't as pretty but does the trick.

Excellent views for a dry camp

Dry camp that fits for small trailees and tent camping. Larger trailers have limted spots so check dimensions before reserving..Lots of trails nearby. Mountain bike trail as well. Weather can be unpredictable so be prepared for rain and possible storm occasional which makes for amazing skys.

Only if there's no other options and its dark

good place for van or camper camping but I would not recommend bringing anything else. generators can be loud as are the roads but the surrounding scenery is nice!

beautiful and Secluded

come here during the week and there’s a very good chance you’ll be the only at the whole campground! there’s fishing and hiking and the world famous City of Rocks for climbing!

Hidden respite

A surprise little campground in a mountain pass between two plains. The altitude gain is enough to get some cool air if you are down in the valley and hot. It's a nice basic campground, nothing fancy but it's pretty.

Great camping site!

We camped here in October during an unseasonably hot few days. We brought a camper and just parked it at the parking lot….I slept in it with my little ones….the rest of the group set up tents and hammocks down at the actual campsite which is a short distance downhill. If you have a ton to pack…you may not like this site. It has great shade for City of Rocks. It was such a great location for climbing and mountain biking. A trail started right at the parking lot, which is where the bathroom is too. We hope to go again!

Group site B

Before and after Thompson Flat's "make-over", I've been to the group sites many times for reunions or girls camps. My favorite is Group site B. Each individual family can have their own campsite which all circle a large firepit/cooking area. It has the best shade of the 3 group sites. I'm still a bit disappointed they haven't worked out the water issue. We always bring a lot though……4 stars…5 as soon as there's water!

Small but free!

When we can't get to the top of Mt. Harrison because there's still snow there, but we're itching to go camping, we come to Bennett Springs. It only has 4 sites but it is free and it has a bathroom. Our favorite site has a little creek right next to it. Great for kids to play in. There's also a trail that goes along the creek which starts at the bottom most campsite. There's another trail that goes up to Pomerelle Ski resort parking lot. It would get a 5 rating if the campsites had better shade….

Amazing spot with great climbing and views!

We camped at site 58 that can be accessed from the parking lot for the Breadloaves group site. Withing 100' of the site are ~20 routes and one of the mega classics of the City, Bloody Fingers on the east side of the loaves.

The site is a little bit of a walk from the parking lot so bring something to haul your stuff in. The walls nearby face east and provide an excellent opportunity for some night or moonlight climbing. It also provides a good respite from the wind even if tents in nearby sites are getting blown around and has the best shade in the area!

Amazing! So many climbs and hikes close by!

We stayed up by the Breadloaves group camp for a night and was treated to the entire Rockford being lit up by the moon. Being right next to the Breadloaves you have close to 100 routes to choose from with a combo of both traditional and sport.

There's toilets nearby in the parking lot and the trees offer a nice respite from the wind. There are amenities in nearby Almo. The steakhouse has good diner food and Rock City has all your grocery shopping needs! All campsites have fire rings and picnic tables.

BOOK YOUR SITE EARLY! The sites fill up quick there's close to 0% chance you'll get a walking site from May-Oct.

Perfect for Seclusion

First and foremost this campground needs a high clearance vehicle to reach and is best visited in late summer fall as it is very marshy there earlier in the year.

The campground has permanent fire rings, picnic tables, and vault toilets. The campgrounds are pretty close together but we were the only ones there so it didn't really matter. Nearby is a stream to cool off in and a hike to the top of Independence Peak can give you an amazing 360 of the surrounding area!

Lots of shade next to the creek

There is a large group site that has 2 large tables and a fire pit and most of the other 1 and 2 tent sites have cemented fire rings. Right next to the creek and plenty of Shade make it a perfect place for hammocks. For most of the year this campground is sparsely populated so it's a nice place for solitude. There is also a large ~200' cirque at the end of a 3 mile hike that continues onto the high point of the range and of Box Elder County! Nearby are numerous archaeological sites and the Joshua Tree-esque devils playground

Busy but spectacular

This is a very popular area, but you can still find solitude if you want it. Plenty of activities as well; climb all day, check out Register Rock, or hike the City of Rocks Loop trail around the site to get a little bit of everything. We stayed with our 2 dogs in April, it was definitely warm in the sun, but very cool at night and in the shade. It is high desert, summer months must be stifling!

The sites are nicely spread out, with a few pit toilets and refuse cans between them. Check out the map on the NPS site and make a reservation to ensure you get the spot you want.

Hidden gem in Idaho

Another amazing April camping trip down at City of Rocks. Spent four glorious days hanging out with the old rocks. Head down to the City if you’re looking for some wide open space and solitude, the campground is SO spread out you will never notice if it’s full. City of Rocks is…well rocky, so definitely be prepared to use rocks or other heavy things to help stake out your tents/ezups, which trust me, you’ll want to—the wind and lack of shade make those extra shelters a must! They have water and bathrooms spread throughout the reserve, we were about .25 miles away from the bathroom and .50 from water-no big deal. They have trash and recycling by the bathrooms (which are pit toilets but were clean and stocked while we visited!)

Great view, quiet campground

You may be a little unsure when you are driving to it, but trust me this place is great. Offers great views of the mountains and Malta below. The campground is nestled in a nice grove of trees that has a small creek running through it. Really cool trees and Aspen to explore. Vault toilets, no water so be prepared.

Camping is just about as good as the climbing!

Take your time in picking out a good camping spot. Shade is key in the summer months. Use the "Shade Legend" on the NPS site: https://www.nps.gov/ciro/planyourvisit/upload/CIRO-Camping-Brochure-08-28-12.pdf

Some are more remote and some have boulder problems within them. Enjoy!

Lake Walcott with the family

My daughter and son-in-law were visiting from out of state and wanted to go camping and bring the boats. We chose Lake Walcott mostly because of the campsites that were right on the lake. There is a dock although we didn't use it as we had the canoes and kayaks with us which we were able to just tie up at the campsite. The toilets were within walking distance and was clean and stocked. I noticed there were rental cabins as well but we were in tents. The only downside was a very rowdy group of teenagers that decided to camp right next door to us. Great lake for the boats. We had a blast!

Ehh...

It's a nice place if you want to fish but over all not much to see at the campground itself. It is a short distance to all the waterfalls in twin and caldren Lynn.