Caribou-Targhee National Forest, IDAHO

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Caribou-Targhee National Forest Camping Reviews
Free private camp with awesome host, free wifi , electricity, beer, shooting on request,

Title says a lot. Dude put in many power stations, wifi etc all on his own and only wants people to act decent to stay. Lots of room. Old buses for hostels. Shower, water sewer garbage a few feet away. Near town and free. Campfire gatherings most nights. Check it out.

It was beautiful sites long and level! Easy in and out Staff extremely friendly

Off-season, nice

I spent the night here on a cross country road trip with just me and the dog. It was free which was awesome. It was deserted which was both great and unnerving for a single newbie camper. We woke up to snow and had a great dawn hike on the hike/bike trails. The campsites are well-loved/worn and some were under water/mud. Because it was both off-season/midweek, it didn't matter at all, as I could pick almost any site.

Affordable Group Campground

Such an amazing experience. Pavilion with lighting and outlets for electricity ran items or even RVs. They have bathrooms on the site and it's handicap accessible. Wonderful for weddings or parties. Very affordable!

Great campground with beach

Our family stayed here in a tent trailer for 2 nights. Kids loved playing in the lake. I like the paved trail that goes around the lake for jogging and cycling.

This lake has a triathlon that happens every year in mid-July. I’ve done it 4 times. It’s just a great lake + campground.

Great camping close to amazing waterfalls

Near the town of Duboise, this campground is up in the Shoshone National Forest. The views of the mountains are beautiful. I was here in early June and there was still a lot of snow in the area as well as in the campground. This made it easier to pick a campsite as it was obvious which sites were water logged and which were dry. The best sites are#14-16, along the river. Even though it was early in the season, someone had come out and mown the grass for tents. I was very impressed by the fact that they had ATV parking on the outside edge of the campground and that there were signs stating ATVs were not allowed to be driven through the campground. The sites were large and private with nice separation between sites, each had steel picnic tables, prep tables, and fire rings. And, terrible as it is, I even had cell service here! While I did not check it out, there is a group campground less than a mile just down the road. I would definitely camp here again, although maybe try and hit it right between the disappearance of snow and the appearance of mosquitos.

Beautiful Trails

This campground is a little bit of a drive to get to, but it is well maintained and has great hiking trails.

OK for a night

By the time we arrived here, I was feeling a bit like Goldilocks, but we had pretty much decided we would stay unless it was truly horrible, which it was not. There are two entrances to the park; if approaching from the south, go to the second entrance, which is the main entrance. Although it is close to the Snake River, I do not know what the appeal would be to stay more than one night which is what we were doing while en-route to Grand Teton NP. Primitive campground (no water) with 31 sites, no reservations but no problem on a Sunday night in July. Each driveway is gravel; site T27 could accommodate an RV much larger than our 17-foot van. Large metal picnic table situated on a concrete pad, a garbage can, and a fire pit completed the site. Some of the sites were close together with no privacy to separate them; fortunately, there were many vacant spots so this was not an issue. Lots of road noise but there were sites tucked further back that would likely be quieter. Pit toilets only and they were reasonable. Hand sanitizer dispensers were a good idea but every single one was empty. Overflowing dumpster, due likely to the holiday weekend (we were there on Sunday after the 4th). Grass and weeds were a bit overgrown in the sites but not too terrible. Lots of cottonwood trees that were shedding their “snow” all around; thankfully we don’t have allergies. Interesting (and antiquated) payment system. Cash or check only. If paying cash, you must fold each individual bill into a tiny rectangle and then push it through the slot with the metal pusher that was attached. Might be fun for a kid to do! The price of$10 was just about right for this place.

Host is pistol packing Pete" I don't want to be a hard ass" with a gun.

Never go there, the camp host is a hard ass with a gun. I go camping to enjoy the out doors and have never met a camp host who was not pleasent when speaking to me. This ass has some character flaws. Even when wrong he didn't back down, only go here if you want to get pushed around.

Not our crowd

Let me preface this by saying that we have often found diamonds in the rough at county park campgrounds but are not finding this to be the case (at least so far) in Idaho. Situated on a lake, many of the “interior” sites are right on the lake, with direct lake access. The good news is that at 6 pm on a Sunday, the entrance booth was still staffed, although they could not tell us which sites were available. Instead, they told us to drive around and come back with several choices. There were several waterfront sites available and many of the ones across the street were vacant. This was our second attempt at finding a place to land for the night, but after taking a drive around, we decided to keep looking as this type of campground attracted more of the loud, partying, ATV driving type, which is not our crowd. However, in deference to those who prefer this type of campground, I am giving it three stars. 50 sites but only two pit toilets (plus a third by the beach). A few waterfront sites looked empty as were most of the sites on the other side of the road. Be forewarned that sites 39, 40, 43, 44, 47, and 48 back right up to Highway 20 so you will definitely hear road noise. If you like this type of campground, go for it; it was not our cup of tea!