Pierce , IDAHO

Most Recent Pierce Camping Reviews
Great for RVs and Day use

I visited but did not stay here because I could not hang my hammock at the sites.

Overall I found the area to be nice, especially the day use areas. I would plan a bbq here in the future and plan to return if they are still open when I’m done with my backpacking years. It looked very accommodating for people who don’t get around so well.

Great dispersed camping areas

My favorite price for a camp site is free. After buying all my camping gear (including winter gear) I have preferred to get out and rough it.

There’s a doc on a small pond that’s great for fishing or drinking a few in some camping chairs.

This place is open in the winter. I want to come back and have my try at ice fishing but I’m waiting to buy a nice pair of snow shoes to be able to get in during mid-winter.

Free campground on the right whe driving down the road towards Boyd campground.

25 mile bar was full when we went to Boyd campground. But we stoped in to check it out.

Some camp sites are on the river and some are by the road. I talked to the forest service guy who rides around on a motor cycle here and he said that one is free and was open as it’s not a formal campground.

There is a vault toilet here too so that’s pretty fancy for a free place. It seams like a popular place.

There’s lots of shooting here so be prepared for that if you have a dog.

Beautiful place in Clearwater Region

I saw a rattle snake here?!? I did not even know they could survive up here.

But he was no problem, he slithered of the trail as soon as he saw us.

There’s a few group cites and a handful of single family sites here.

On the other side of the river is thick tree lines with a gorgeous view. This area is very quiet and there’s some beach spots to hang out and get some sun with the family.

There’s a lot of nice areas to hike, water rafting and fishing activities. So there’s a bit of everything to satisfy whatever you are into.

Clean and private!

The restrooms here are some of the cleanest of the campgrounds in the area.

This camp site is not open year round but I’m not exactly sure when it closes. I came here to do some late fall camping and it was closed.

But I have been here on two other occasions, as it’s close by and often is not full. There is a place to pump water which makes packing in a bit less work. I still filter the water because you never know.

It’s not gravel, but paved areas so walking barefoot was comfy minus the occasional rock.

With wildlife right on your doorstep and Deary just a stones throw away, you won’t regret staying in this area.

I always go to The Pie Safe when I visit one of the three campsites in this region. You should too! It’s amazing.

Three Rivers Resort in Idaho

So, I’m not sure why “resort” is in the title, this certainly not a resort in the traditional sense. But, this is a great place to stop if headed up the Lochsa River and has something for everyone.

The “resort” has riverfront cabins, double occupancy motel rooms, A frame cabins, RV spots with hookups and a large tent camping area for motorcyclists, bicyclists and hikers. The mix of campers makes thing interesting. Add to this that the river raft guides take out at this location and this is a busy and fun place to spend a night. It has been very busy every time I have stopped, often full of RV’s with families spending a long weekend.

There is a small market, restaurant and bar, and an outdoor pool and hot tub. The market is well stocked with most of what you might have forgot to pack. They sell firewood as well. The bar offers typical burgers and bar fare and was lively enough even in peak Covid. This is Idaho after all, Covid seems like an afterthought in most of central and North Idaho.

The resort is located along a sweeping bend of the Lochsa river, which the highway follows on the opposite side. With the proximity of the highway, the RV’s in the campground, the cabins, etc, this is not a tranquil wilderness campground. It is however a great spot to spend the night while passing through.

I was on a motorcycle and there were probably 8-10 other riders tent camping. Several fires were going and folks were friendly and outgoing. There was no cell service for AT&T, but the market and bar had WiFi that you could access by sitting outside the front door.

I’ve stayed here 3 times and it will always be on my list when passing through this part of Idaho.

Beautiful lake front campsites!

The camp host is very nice. In the morning there is a beautiful fog that comes off the water. The sites have varying amount of privacy so you can find a spot that suits your preferences. There are fishing and small boat docks. I’ve been up here a lot! It’s my favorite close by paid camping ground.

There are some trails at the end of the campground that trail up and around and connect to trails that lead back to campground areas. Dogs are permitted!

If you get extra time, take a day lunch trip to The Pie Safe nearby. You won’t regret it!

Beautiful Camping!

This is a backpacking trail. The first half mile is difficult but then the trail levels out and is easy for many miles. There’s free dispersed camping sites starting after 4.5 miles down the trail. There was wood on site when we went in July 2020. It is possible to get to the water (if you have a hydration filter pack), but it’s not a beach like shore. I did swim, and the water gets very deep very quickly off the first two campsites. This was my favorite trip this year so far, as it was a good challenge with very rewarding views.

Wilderness camp with a hot springs soak

If a backpacking trip in to a wilderness area with a hot springs next to your campsite sounds like the perfect trip, then Stanley Hot Springs is for you.  Stanley Hot Springs located in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness is just under a 5 mile hike from the trail head located in the Wilderness Gateway Campground.  The trip in to the hot springs gains about 1500 feet, but the climb is worth it as you get to soak your tired legs after the hike.

Plenty of campsites can be found around and near the Hot Springs.  Water can be filtered from the near by creek.  You are backpacking so be prepared to bring out everything you bring in.  You are also in Bear Territory so be prepared to hang your food in a tree and bring bear spray.

Getting to the hot springs can be a little tricky as their is no bridge over the creek, so you will have to ford the creek, unless you can find a series of log jams to cross on.  Best bet for finding you way is to ask someone hiking out for suggestions on crossing the creek.

The creek crossing will not be possible in the spring or during high water flows.   We managed an easy crossing over log jams in July, but others a week earlier forded the creek in waist deep water.

The area was clean during our visit, so please keep it that way.

Pricey and not very private

Decent campground, but I likely wouldn’t stay there again. $20 per night, hookups are available and there were most RVers there. The spaces were all very close together so there wasn’t much privacy. Bathrooms seemed reasonably clean and there was fresh water spigots available. I got there on a Thursday night on August 27th and most of the non-reservable spots were full, we may have actually pulled into the last available space. If you turn left towards the Giant Cedar trailhead instead of right towards the campground there are a number of free dispersed camping sites along that road, they looked pretty private and spacious. If we have known that before we paid we would have stayed in one of those instead. We drove up that road and up the mountain and went on a short hike to Perkins Cedar Grove, the forest was beautiful and well worth a visit.