About Riley Creek

Riley Creek Recreation Area, situated on the banks of the Pend Oreille River, is the largest recreation area for the Albeni Falls Project, but still offers visitors peace and quiet and plenty of space to enjoy the scenic surroundings.

Recreation

Water sports are the most common activity at the lake, and boat ramps are provided at the campground. Visitors enjoy kayaking, canoeing, swimming, fishing, water skiing and jet skiing. Campers are likely to spot wildlife in the area, with bald eagles, osprey, bears and most commonly, deer. A biking and hiking trail is available, giving campers a chance to enjoy the wildlife and greenery. Fishing piers, horseshoe pits, a beach volleyball court, basketball court and more make this campground an ideal place for family trips or groups of friends. A hiking and biking trail is accessible from the campground.

Facilities

Riley Creek is the largest campground at Albeni Falls, offering 67 campsites, all with electric and water hookups. Two large reservable picnic shelters are also available.

As long as all equipment fits on the site pad, Riley Creek allows for an unlimited amount of tents per site.

Natural Features

Albeni Falls Dam was built in 1955 for flood control and power production on the Pend Oreille River. Today, the popular lake has the added benefit of providing visitors with countless year-round recreational activities.

Lake Pend Oreille is surrounded by scenic mountains and is one of the largest and deepest natural lakes in the western United States, plunging to depths of more than 1,200 ft. in some areas.

Behind the dam, the Pend Oreille River stretches 65 miles through a glacial-carved valley that separates three mountain ranges.

Nearby Attractions

The Albeni Falls Visitor Center features exhibits on the history of the dam and the natural features of the area. Tours of the dam are given daily during the summer. The nearby town of Laclede, Idaho offers gas and grocery services.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$30.00 - $70.00
US Army Corps of Engineers
Riley Creek is located in Idaho
Directions
From Highway 2 in Laclede, Idaho, turn south onto Riley Creek Road, then continue about 1 mile to the campground entrance.
6 Reviews of Riley Creek
Make a reservation

We tent camped, sharing a site with some friends in an RV. Only some of their sites are reservable, others are walk up. We did not have reservations so had to join a lottery to get one of the walk up sites. Despite arriving early in the morning, we did not know until mid afternoon if we got a site. Half way through our stay we had to move sites and again go through the lottery system. Fortunately we got sites both times, others were not so fortunate.

Otherwise it is a well taken care of camp ground. Lots of paved hiking paths, a beautiful beach, and a great play structure. No camp store on site.

Riley Creek

Very clean. Roomy sites. Showers and dish washing area. Popular campground hard to get in.

Ranger Review: Fiber Light at Riley Creek Campground

Campground Review: This was our annual trip to Riley Creek Campground and it was probably our favorite one so far. Riley Creek is always so incredibly maintained and toddler-friendly. The campsite (we had #47 this year) was spacious and right on the river inlet. We found a perfect place to hang our hammock and relax with a book (even our 14-year-old finished a book). There was plenty of room for our 2-year-old to roam around without getting into someone else's campsite. The downfall is that this is one of the furthest sites from the bathrooms/dishwashing area. Riley Creek has so much to offer for all ages. The beach area was always busy over the weekend portion of our trip, but everyone was super friendly and respectful. The boat basin area was also fairly busy this trip, but the campground was full so this is to be expected. The basketball court entertained all ages throughout the days; however, the horseshoe pits could have used just a bit of maintenance since weeds are growing in the sandpits (nothing major). The paved paths throughout the entire recreational area were busy with people of all ages biking and hiking, so we are glad our site was not directly on this path this year. In short review, we will definitely return next year, so that should say a lot!!!!

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- this trip I tested the Fiber Light fire starter via Outdoor Element (https://www.outdoorelement.com/product/fiber-light/)..) Normally I start my fires with newspaper and kindling. This time around I was going simple, I collected two handfuls of fallen twigs and a pinch of the Fiber Light. I tried using the Firebiner to ignite the fiber (maybe did half a dozen attempts) but with a toddler being a handful at the time I grabbed a lighter and it started right away. The fire took a bit to take off and catch the twigs aflame, but it worked just fine. I added larger than I normally would wood to the twigs to really test out this Fiber Light, it worked just fine and the fire was super easy. This comes in a nice metal canister to help reduce its exposure to water, and it's great and compact. We have also used the Outdoor Element's Tinder Quik (https://www.outdoorelement.com/product/tq15/)) as a fire starter, I personally would recommend this over the Fiber Light. It was a faster fire and an easier to handle setup with a toddler trying to "help". Either item gets the same resulting campfire and both are compact for storage.

Great campground on Lake Pend Oreille

Hello Dyrt campers! Today I check out a great little campground/recreation area on Lake Pend Oreille( locally pronounced Pond Array"). The campground portion has 67 sites that have electrical and water hookups with centrally located flush bathrooms. Each site is spacious and somewhat secluded. They also have a fire ring and picnic table with wood available for purchase at the store/station up front. I did not see any ADA marked sites, but as developed as the campground is I imagine most all of the sites to be fairly accessible. I did see ADA bathrooms and showers.

Other facilities/amenities here included an extensive day use recreation area located next to the camping section. There were beaches amid the many picnic benches and shelters. Large grass fields were adjacent to a nice set of swings and play structures. A nice boat ramp was located at the end of the park area next to a swim beach and a small fishing pier. This park is camper friendly with overnight options and a dump station.

Over all I loved this campground as it somehow gave you the feeling of a small campground yet offering a lot of facilities/amenities. At less than $30 a night, I highly recommend other Dyrt users check it out.

Camping in a Forest

Large, Clean Camp Sites with Electric & Water.

Bring your Boat, Kayak, Canoe, Bike, & Bathing Suit (in summer).

My favorite Army Corps of Engineers run Campground. Clean, and well run. Clean bathrooms, and Showers. Dump Station.

Amazing amenities

We got lucking and grabbed the last reservable site online when we decided to do one last camping trip of the 2017 season. Most campgrounds were already shut down for winter so we were forced to try a new place. What a blessing because we were blown away with this campground. All of the sites have electric and water. There is a bathroom centrally located on each of the two loops that were cleaned every morning and nice hot showers to pair with them. I can see why this campground is hard to get into during the normal summer season. The small beach was fabulous. The horseshoe pits, volleyball & basketball courts, as well as the playgrounds were all extremely inviting. The Doggie Island (dog friendly area since they aren't allowed on the beach)and the Boat Basin (an inlet where you can dock your small water craft) are both great additional features. There are also a few gazebos you can reserve for day use. Quite an amazing little piece of peninsula on the river. We will definitely return time and time again.