the dyrt
$20.00
South Nicolet Bay Campground - Peninsula State Park is located in Wisconsin
9 Reviews of South Nicolet Bay Campground - Peninsula State Park
Great park in Door County

Peninsula State Park is a huge state park with five campgrounds with over 400 sites (not including group sites) and it can be overwhelming trying to decide where to stay. Our decision was narrowed down somewhat because two of the campgrounds were closed for the season. We camped in South Nicolet along Nicolet Bay for two nights. Our first night was on the water but because heavy rains were forecasted, we relocated to another site closer to the bathrooms for the second night, putting up with the “hum” for a closer dash in the rain. There is so much to do in the park itself and Door County in general. However, we were here during the week in October so while the campground was quiet, bicycle and boat rentals were not available. Many great hiking trails. My only beef is that Wisconsin State parks charge more than many other states and, in general, facilities are not always as well maintained (bathrooms were a little dated and not the cleanest but sufficient for a campground). Still - this is a great place from which to explore Door County!

Great campground if a bit crowded

There are a lot of sites at this campground. I was hesitant to book here because with so many campsites I thought I would be camping too close to other sites. But I was proven wrong!

The site I choose was mostly out of necessity as I booked late and got the last site available. But it was secluded enough that we could only see the people across from from us. The bathrooms were the standard modern variety with showers as well.

The park itself is huge with plenty to keep you busy from hiking along cliffs to swimming to biking. In fact when I go back again I will have to bring my bike.

This place is really beautiful because it is nearby the beach. The sites hear do offer privacy because of the dense trees all around us. the sites are really big and can fit a couple tents. The neighboring campsites are pretty close together

One of Wisconsin's Best!

This park is one of my absolute favorites!! We camped here often with my grandparents when I was a child & several years later I still love ever second at Peninsula State Park. Last summer I got engaged along the trails of the park, right on the lake, so it will always hold a special place in my heart :)

The park is located in the town of Fish Creek, which can get busy with tourists, but is still fun to shop through the local stores. The trails & the views at Peninsula are breath-taking. The sunsets over Lake Michigan are remarkable!! Highly recommended!

Possibly my favorite campground

Huge campground near the tip of the thumb in door county. This is one of the best kept grounds I have ever stayed at. Nice large sites with plenty to do. Remember to bring your bike!

nice park

sites: nice wooded area. privacy. fire pit. clean. amenities: clean. good distance from site. other attractions: lots of trails. beach. tower to climb. small resort towns near. bike rental available near. I would go back again.

Great Outdoors, Lot's of Trails and Fun Things to Do

We love this campground. Actually, all the loops in Peninsula State Park are pretty nice. Campsites are not too big, and maybe bit too close to each other, but I didn't get a feeling of being cramped. Watch out for poison ivy, it's everywhere. Same with mosquitoes. But that's the beauty of outdoors, right? So be very careful, especially when you camp with your four legged friends. The park offers so much, a beautiful beach (no dogs on the beach), tons of wonderful hiking trails (some with a decent - for Midwest - elevation change), with stunning views. Catching a sunset is a must! Bike and canoe rentals. Close to towns. Restrooms are decent, some showers have warm water. The only drawback is the long drive through the park to get in and out. And the poison ivy. Otherwise beautiful location, with tons of stuff to do!

Awesome park, great views, great sites

Right in Door County with lot of things to do. Great wineries and restaurants and shops in the vicinity. Within the park there are awesome hiking trails right long the water and nice swimming on the nice beach.

The sites are nice and big, with plenty of shade. The bathroom/shower building is build, with private shower rooms accessible from the outside.