Gladstone, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Gladstone Camping Reviews
RV sites

Nice place. Very clean and managed well

Small and quiet without frills

It just so happened we were there on the very last night they were open for the season. And yet they still had over half the sure booked! It's a small campground, but very near the lake, and the coolest part is the old blast furnace (hence the name of the camp on the bay) on display. Mother Nature took it over, but you can feel the history!

A few spaces are actually on the water front with beach access, but one is taken by the camp host, the other two are reservable…. And they were reserved. But there were others, all within an easy walk of the sand. Ours was tucked in the woods, others more exposed, all with fire pits and grills and picnic tables. Even a hanging post of some sort. Drinking water was also a perk.

There is no electric and there are no showers, but vault toilets are centrally located. There is an adjacent park with more tables and grills. Even though there were a lot of RVs, we heard no generators the night we were there.

This is a forest service campground in the Hiawatha Forest. Sites are $20 each as of 2019.

Awesome campground

Wagon trail campground had wonderful staff to help when checking in and getting you pointed in the right direction! All campsites were beautiful with nice privacy and amenities! Also hiking trails lead to a beautiful beach on Lake Michigan which was spectacular!

Great for paddling!

Secluded dense wooded area along the shoreline of Lake Michigan, which most sites have a trail leading to. I’ve camped here many times and I plan on to again in the future. Great spot for any paddling sports in the warmer months.

Great gem in Northeast Wisconsin

Hikers rejoice. You’ll find the 16-17 rustic sites quite awesome at Newport State Park. Camp right next to the water even.

We hiked just after a 3” rainfall, so unfortunately the trails were washed out. But we made do.

It’s a beautiful park, and looks to be well kept. Close to Uncle Tom’s Candy Store and a short drive to Ellison Bay for supplies or a fish boil.

Best Campground Ever

This is probably the nicest, most well run campground we have ever stayed at. The staff is friendly and welcoming, they are pet friendly, and their sites are spacious and private - unlike so many other campgrounds we visit.

While staying here, you’re a short walk to a great bakery and restaurant. Additionally, you can bring your gear and hike the trails just 5 minutes away at the state park.

Rates are very reasonable and the bathrooms are the best we’ve seen at any campground.

This place can’t get much better…

Pretty lakefront campground. Great location to Pictured Rocks.

We really enjoyed our stay at Superior Times. The campground is on Au Train Lake and the campground offers jet skis, boats, and kayaks for rent. They were in the midst of grading the area leading down to the Lake so it was pretty dirty/dusty in that section; however,once that is done it will be really nice. The shower/bathrooms were very small but worked out fine.

Clean, Scenic sites

This was our first experience at this park in the southern section of the western part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  Many of the sites are just feet from Lake Michigan.  We listened to the waves all night long.  The park is very well maintained and clean.  We checked in on Labor Day just as the majority of campers were leaving.  The individual sites are grassy with many trees throughout the campground.  The restrooms/showers were spotless and constantly maintained.  While this was our first stop, it won't be our last.  Being that close to the lake is wonderful.

Newport is near picture perfect.

Well compared to the human petting zoo and three ring circus at Peninsula State Park, and by not settling and pressing on, I found what I consider to be the perfect park. Newport State Park in Elison Bay, WI is secluded, pristine and quiet with just a handful of primitive campsites all on the lakeshore with 30 miles of ungroomed, heavily wooded trails which abound with wildlife (kinda, not really).

There is a stretch of open beach with lots of shoreline and a ranger station unmanned with self-registration. There were only two campsites available for one night only so I went with lucky 13 because it was remote, not near any other campsites and on the rocky cedar grove crowded with rocky shoreline.

It was a four mile loop to backpack to the campsite on Rowley's Bay Trail. I had been walking everyday for weeks leading up to this trip to strengthen my legs and toughen up my feet. The preparation worked as I performed very well even for a fat old guy. My feet are meat.

When you backpack in and out you are thinking about what you need and what will fit in the pack. Efficiency is key unless in this instance you forget to pack a few sheets of toliet paper (luckily I didn't need it). I was able to fit a sleeping bag, Luke's green Northface Nebula Strata tent, Mary's green "tights", Joey's Hulk pillow and blanket, a Pink Floyd shirt from Walmart for the irony, waterproof matches, a hatchet for protection, two cuties, four bottles of water and a bag of trail mix.

More to come…..

Ok, I'm back. I had to find Wifi and a place to charge my phone because my charger in the car is really slow for some reason. I thought going back to Al Johson's Swedish Restaurant and Butik was as good as any other place and I learned a few things from the staff and more experienced patrons while I was there charging my phone. I also ate a proper breakfast for the first time in a long time - it was damned good.

Al Johnson opened his restaurant 70 years ago and ran it up until his passing a few years ago. He rode his bike to work and waited tables, cooked, wiped down tables, hosted and even fed the goats.

There are a total of five goats and they get on the roof using a ramp in the back of the restaurant; there are also two webcams on the roof in caae you want to watch goats graze on a Swedish grass roof top 24/7 or check the weather.

The restaurant is packed everyday from open to close, year round. Butik is a Swedish word for the French word "boutique" or small shop. Some of the staff are actually fron Sweden. Swedish meatballs sound relatively easy to make given the simplicity of the ingredients (100% beef, onions, milk, salt and pepper) and they are even more delicious if you haven't eaten anything but fruit and trail mix for days.

Next up, the Washington Island Ferry and staying the night on the island before catching the Rock Island Ferry (the Karfi) tomorrow morning.

Newport State Park is a 2,373-acre Wisconsin state park at the tip of Door Peninsula near Ellison Bay, Wisconsin. Protecting 11 miles of shoreline on Lake Michigan, Newport is Wisconsin's only wilderness-designated state park. In 2017, the International Dark-Sky Association named Newport a Dark-sky preserve.

Newport State Park, WI continued… I packed my hatchet for protection and from my tent I shouted into the darkness, "I got a gun you son of a bitch!"

With my backpack packed and feeling a little anxious, as if I was up for the two hour hike to campsite 13, it was at the Rowley's Bay Trailhead that I noticed that my phone battery was dead which meant no pictures and no measure of time. Oh well. I didn't see any wildlife along the hike but I did notice a sign for that invasive flowered plant, Garlic Mustard, that I saw at Big Knob Campground in MI (UP).

I reached the shoreline and the cedar groves crowding the rocky shore rivaled those of the ones I've seen at Rock Island. It was only a few more paces until I got to campsite 13. It was tucked away in the woods with a fire pit, two wood benches, two flat areas for tents and a metal animal box to protect food. It was perfect, or so I thought - the plot thickens.

I set up the tent and went to the shoreline to relax in the sun. The view looked east over Rowley's Bay and there were no waves; just ripples lapping up on the rocks. With no concept of time, I sat there until the sun passed over me to the right (west) and I figured it was getting close to dusk and enjoyed the golden hour.

I thought about all sorts of stuff and recognized how noisy my mind was even in such a quiet and tranquil setting. On these solo trips you can cover a lot of ground seeing stuff and you can talk to yourself out loud and disagree most of the time with what you are saying. But I never really win that many arguments with myself, so I did what I always do - walk around, eat and sleep.

I ate half the bag of trail mix and drank two bottles of water saving the rest and the two cuties for tomorrow. I turned in early without using those cool waterproof matches and opted not to make a fire.

I fell a sleep quickly to the sounds of the ripples and in the middle of the night I was startled and woke in a panic. I heard something or someone stalking around the tent. Was it an animal, a ranger, a serial killer, my ex-wife, or worse both my ex-wives or the creepy guy that I met in the parking lot at the trailhead? My mind was racing and I grabbed the hatchet that I always keep in the tent under my pillow for moments exactly like this one.

I must have stayed motionless for 30 minutes running through all the horific scenarios in my head and debated with myself what would be my first move. I definitely did not imagine the foot steps and I was now prepared to seriously fight.

I chose to stay in the tent and maintain a defensive position but I thought I should send a warning. I gripped the hatchet and from my tent I shouted into the darkness "I got a gun you son of a bitch!". There was nothing but silence, however, I could still hear the footsteps pacing further from the tent now but definitely still on the campsite.

I continued to think of my options but leaving the tent to confront the threat was an unnecessary risk. I laid motionless in complete silence with the hatchet in my hand until I fell a sleep.

When I woke up to the sound of the now familiar ripples it was early morning, the hatchet was still in my hand and I was alive. The hatchet is a gun? It's the same thing to me if it scares off a threatening son of a bitch or a imposing walking tree.

I really was scared…

Beautiful Lake Superior shoreline

City run campground on lake superior. Beautiful views, sandy shore. Most sites have water and electricity, some have sewer hookup. Some walk in sites on the shoreline. We camped on site 5. Pros: 1) Huge, wide open site, no trees. 2) lakefront site, great view. 3) great spot to base camp, near Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Grand Island National Recreation Area, and the Hiawatha National Forest.
Cons: 1) water and electric are far apart,meaning I had to run 55' of electric cord and 75' of water hose in opposite directions to hook up. 2) no buffer for strong winds off lake superior 3) highway is very close to the campground, noise is constant 4) some sites are low and flood after rains

In TOUCH with wildlife

Really great area of door county with lots to do if you venture outside the park.

So much to do inside the park. Sand beach with playground and concessions/gift shop, bike rentals on big bike trails. Kayak rentals. Hiking trails.

Our campsites have been super secluded from anyone else. So quiet at night. No one was really even playing music. Nice firepits. We saw deer down a hiking path and while we were driving in the park.

Pro-tip for this campground: Don't leave ANY garbage or food outside at all! Late-night by the campfire a (HUGE) Racoon came up within 2 feet of me eyeballing my grahm crackers. Then went into zipped up garbage can. It wasn't mean, just hungry. To avoid those visitors visit the garbage cans regularly.

Private and awesome biking and hiking trails

We loved our visit to Door County and biking the state park. The camp spot was private and secluded with trees all around us. The park is so close to restaurants, shopping, and all sorts of fun attractions and fun things to do. Our site was so nice and close to the water!

Family friendly near Pictured Rocks

Average KOA- There were many tents and RVs but we had a rustic cabin for 3 nights. The bathrooms could use some attention as well as the playground, but an overall nice stay with easy access to Pictured Rocks hiking and the town of Munising

Great Forest Service Campground

Now one of my favorite campgrounds.  Quiet campground with lots of privacy on Petes Lake.  Labor Day Weekend and I didn't have time to reserve a spot so I headed up to the UP with the intentions of staying at Widewaters.  The sites at Widewaters were a little small and there was nothing good available.  I drove up the road to Petes Lake.  I was surprised that site 2 was still available when I got there.  Nice large site, with plenty of privacy that sites back a ways and a couple of good sets of trees for hammocks.

The campground sits on Petes lake with plenty of spots to go and see the sunsets.  There is a swimming area and Bruno's run goes through the campgrounds.  Munising is about 20-30 minutes away and there is a gas station at the corner of M28 and FS13 to get some ice, refreshments and cell service.

Beautiful Park

Large campground on shore of either Lake Michigan or Bay of Green Bay in Door County, this is a very popular area with many activities.   Must have State Park Pass plus camping fees.

Excellent beach area, private wooded campsites. Hike bike all around, golfing near by as well as scenic drives.

Egg Harbour, ferry to Washington Island, Door County cherries, fishing, rentals of most varieties.

Perfect!

Needed a place to stay and they had plenty of spots open. Not too many amenities but thats fine by me. Pretty area right on the lake, stayed here after coming from the pictured rocks

Nice quiet

Clean sites,good size, camp host was wonderful helped park, he cleaned the toilets and picked up trash including your garbage. Will definitely return. The only downside was the beach was a 1/2 mile away but once you got there it awesome clean and large

Busy spot close quarters

Busy spot obviously, convenient place to stay being right near the pictured rocks. Be prepared to get close with your neighbors, and the Backcountry tent sites are the same way. Very close together so privacy isn't really an option especially when busy. Bring bug spray, it doesn't help much but the black flies can be absolutely relentless and those things hurt!

My Favorite Annual Trip

My boyfriend and I have gone camping at Newport the last 5 years in a row. It is ALWAYS a unique experience. We’ve stayed at sites 10, 7, 9, 12 & 4. They were all unique and had their good and bad qualities. In order from my favorite to my least favorite: 12, 9, 4, 10 & 7. This was tough since 10 & 7 were basically a tie. 12 was the longest walk at just under 2 miles. But it had a view of the water through a cove of trees that fit both our hammocks. And the cove it was in was GREAT for swimming. 9 didn’t have as much of a “beach” area, but my BF and I packed some goodies in a dry sack and swam out to the point where we spent the day sunning, swimming, and fishing (caught nothing lol). The privacy here was great. Site 4 was a shorter walk (3/4 mile). Had a sandy beach area and some decent hammock trees. VERY close to site 3. Not very private. 10 provided great swimming past a mucky shoreline. And is the only site we caught fish at! Just a few little smallies, but still… This site was also right ON the trail. Not much traffic but still pretty exposed to anyone passing through. Site 7 was wooded so the shade was nice. But it was a fairly open understory which I don’t necessarily prefer. Not a very good spot for swimming and also a longer walk. Side note- we had A LOT of bad luck staying at site 7 so I’m a bit bias. Examples: tent-pole string broke, BFs backpack frame bent and punctured the pack, hammock string snapped (while in it!), and we couldn’t get a fire going to save our lives!! All the wood was wet and the humidity was about 100% so it was not happening for us at this site. Lol. Fluke year! Overall the sites are beautiful, the lake is cool and refreshing! Great for snorkeling!! A much more scenic/private Door County experience. [photos are of site 12] PSA: watch out for snakes!

Quiet, clean

Nice little county campground on lake Michigan. Sandy Beach. Clean bathrooms and showers, and a small laundry facility. Electric and water on each site. Dump station is available for registered campers. Sites are large, not crowded. Mixture of short term campers and long term locals. On site host, not a party spot.

Secluded quiet

Fayette was a perfect end to a week long tour of the U.P. The grounds are exceptionally clean and well kept. The only downfall is that the campground roads are gravel and can be a bit dusty when it’s dry. The historical site was a great way to spend a couple hours.

Great sites/peace and quiet

Bay Furnace was a quiet campground with spacious sites. This campground is definitely for campers looking to have an off the grid feel while being close to any necessary amenities. The beach was perfect for swimming and looking for rocks. With Munising just a couple of miles away there’s plenty to do.

Peaceful, lovely, mosquito-y

Camped at site 1. Easy hike in. We were there with a younger child and for 4 nights so decided to pull some of our stuff in via a cart which was no problem so we could have a cooler, table, small chairs, etc. So peaceful. Did not encounter anyone except when on hikes. Short walk to beach which we had to ourselves nearly the entire time. Beach was covered in crushed shells so shoes a must. Water shoes even better if you want to wade in. Wild flowers and butterflies were amazing as was night sky;  mosquitos not so much. They were intense. Bring alot of repellant. Next time we go we'll probably permethrin our clothes to help. Pit toilet was fine but bring your own toilet paper. Only place we found garbage receptacles was in parking lot of service building. We didn't find showers anywhere so went to peninsula state park to shower one day.

Nice,Private Rustic Campground

I would have given it a 3.5 but whole stars are required. We took a chance on driving 1.5 hours to Carney Lake State Campground and we are pleased that we did. The sites were first-come first-serve and we were lucky to get a site on the lake. The downside: the lake was pretty rocky and mucky. If I wouldn’t have forgotten my water shoes I would have been fine. It is a small park with wooded sites. Site #9 looked to be the best one, there was a clear view of the lake and there was a little railing which was almost like a patio or deck. We camped in our popup camper, there was a few 5th wheels and a few tents. Everyone was very friendly.

We only stayed one night but that was enough

We had broken glass all over our site. The park staff apologized and brought us a nice bundle of wood for our trouble.

Loud cars, trucks and semi’s were traveling the roads outside of the park at all hours. Drivers took great pleasure in stomping on the gas and racing past at an almost ear deafening sound.

The beach was really nice and the playgrounds were great for the grandkids.

Maybe a site further away from the road might make a difference in the background noise

Love Wagon Trail

I have stayed in this campground twice now and have loved it both times. The campground staff is super friendly. Location is beautiful. Bathrooms are great and always clean. Mosquitoes can be annoying in the more secluded tent sites. Get up in the middle of the night, the stars are amazing here! I will keep coming back here.

Wonderful park

It was a clean, busy park. We had a nice shaded site along the woods great for tent camping. The bathrooms are kept up nicely, the only downfall of the trip was the rain and our leaky tent!!

Wonderful small park

This was our 1st stop in the UP and we couldn’t be more pleased. We originally had a 10 day reservation and enjoyed it so much that we extended it for another 10 days. Beautiful natural swimming area in the rear of the property and we picked blueberries and raspberries right here on premise. Hope to return one day.

The perfect campground

Quiet private campsite on the lake 15$ a nite Great beach great swimming awesome fishing Outhouse toilets no electric 5 miles in no noise Plenty of room between most campsites. My family has been goin there for nearly 50 yrs. I’ll return no doubt

Nice place large

For a modern campground it’s clean nice beach grassy campground clean showers and restrooms playgrounds for kids horse shoes Plus 22$ a nite with electric we stayed in # 33 nice view of the lake not obstructed by other campers