Equestrian
About Peninsula State Park

In Wisconsin’s Peninsula State Park—named after the 2,000-square-mile peninsula that makes up Door County—scenery and amenities abound in equal parts. Outdoor lovers will appreciate the park’s 38-acre island, numerous hiking and biking trails, and year-round activities—but for many, the park’s main draw is the 18-hole Peninsula Golf Course, located on prime real estate overlooking Eagle Harbor.

The park features six separate campgrounds totaling to more than 700 campsites, meaning RVers, car campers or backcountry campers will find a place to stay. Many of the sites are situated between the golf course and the picturesque Eagle Bluff lighthouse, another major attraction for visitors.

In the warm weather months, visitors can swim in Lake Michigan’s Green Bay, rent kayaks, canoes and other useful water tools from the concession stand, and of course, play on the renown golf course, just feet from your campsite. The colder months bring a whole new level of excitement for camping in the park, as campers can snowshoe, cross-country ski, or simply explore the snowy sand dunes, crashing waves, and frozen forests that make up this park.

Peninsula State Park is located in Wisconsin
31 Reviews of Peninsula State Park
Great Park with several “loops”

I camped at this site a couple times! I would go back. There is hiking kayaking boating (but you must bring your own). Play grounds volleyball courts available great place for families. Can be a little bit buggy and the last site we were at had lots of poison ivy! There are lots of fun things to do in door County all of which are within half hour 45 minute drive!

Peninsula state park- Door county Wisconsin

On water, sandy beach, rentals available for bikes, kayaks, paddle boats and more. Close to amenities like shopping & restaurants. Beautiful views. Campsites close to the boat launch are more secluded. Stayed at site 854 which had private access to the water, pleanty of shade, and secluded from other sites

So much to do!

Peninsula is one of our favorite places to camp. We've stayed at Tennison and Weborg.

Peninsula has so much going on; beach, trails to hike or bike, boating, nature center, a theater, and so much more. It's a popular destination, so it fills up. camping reservations can be made 11 months in advance but if you keep an eye out on the system you can often find a cancellation.

Our very favorite activity is biking the Sunset Trail. it is hard packed dirt and gravel and is well-marked. While there are steep spots, it is good for family biking. If you do not bring your own bikes, you can find bike rentals right outside the front gate in Fish Creek.

Door County has so much going on and it's fun to leave the park and go explore the local towns like Fish Creek, Ephraim Bay, Sister Bay, and others.

If you are looking for a unique activity, check out Cave Point County Park on the east side of Door County. You can jump off the cliffs into Lake Michigan. We had a blast doing this!!

love it here.

This state park has a great beach, good biking and hiking, and nice camp sites. we love to explore all the little towns around Door county.

must see!

My husband and I absolutely love this park! It fills up really quickly and unless you book almost 11 months out, you will likely only get a walk up site. Other than that, this park is family friendly, clean, well maintained, and has more to do than you can cover in one weeked; all while being close to great shopping and restaurants. Take the time and head to this park, even if its just for a day of exploring!

A park for everyone

One of the most beautiful and largest park/campgrounds in Wisconsin or anywhere else for that matter. It even has its own golf course. Miles and miles of trails. Loads of wild life. Right on lake Michigan. This park leaves you wanting for nothing. Reservations are often made by the first of the year through the state's website. To say this place is popular is an understatement. Call ahead..if you don't get what you want you will have time to locate the many spots that are available. We always try to get sites in the Weborg area so we can go fishing. But there are no bad areas.

Ranger Review: CRKT WOODS KANGEE T-HAWK at Peninsula State Park, WI

Campground Review

Welcker's Point is a well-shaded but somewhat open campground at the north end of the state park. The sites are nicely sized and very comfortable. There is a lot of poison ivy, but as long as you stay on the campsites and the road, you'll be fine. Even though it is shaded, the spacing in the trees allow nice airflow off the bay.

Everything within the park is connected by trails and roads, and most attractions in the park are around a five minute drive.

There were a lot of people in the park, but it was during the week and there were some empty sites in our campground.

The beach was very nice, though not very large. The nature center was packing with information about the animals there and we even got to watch a monarch butterfly come out of its chrysalis!

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the CRKT Woods Kangee T-hawk ax.

I'm no t-hawk expert or ax expert, but I have used a few different style axes, mauls, splitting axes, and hatchets. I bought this t-hawk thinking that it 1) looked cool and 2) would be able to replace my hatchet, which is a pretty cheap, but functional tool.

When I got the axe and tried it out, I found that it was really cool looking, but isn't a replacement for a hatchet if your primary function is splitting wood at the campsite. I found it to be ok at splitting, but due to the taper, then the round part of the head, it won't always go deep enough to split effectively.

What the Woods Kangee does really well is chopping. It was more than twice as fast at chopping compared to my hatchet. The shape of the axe is ideal for chopping quickly and efficiently.

The other use could be in a tactical/apocalyptic situation. The style of the Kangee with the spike at the back is intimidating enough that it could prevent conflict altogether, but if conflict ensues, I'm confident it would be an effective weapon. Those zombies don't stand a chance!

The t-hawk handle is hickory and feels great in your hand, not slippery at all. The head is a carbon steel and seems to hold its edge well. It was pretty sharp from the factory for me, but could be sharper.

Beach

We had a great time! We mainly went to go to the beach. But after talking to a helpful ranger we decided to also go to the light house. The light house is beautiful and has a wonderful view. You can go on tours of it but we were to late to go on one. The beach was a hot spot for people to be. So if you want a good spot you need to get their early! Overall the park was beautiful and I wish we would of had more time there.

Happy Camping at Peninsula State Park!

One of my favorite places to camp! It's a beautiful campground, with great hiking trails and fantastic views of the clear waters of Lake Michigan. Because of how amazing this place is, it does fill up and it can very busy on the weekends, especially in the warmer months, like July and August. Depending on the time of the year, it's best to make a campsite reservation in advance by at least a couple of months for this place. But they do offer walk up campsites. When I went in late May/early June, it was a little cooler of weather so not as many campers! I enjoy camping in south nicolet bay campground; it has easy and close access to the swimming beach and camp store. My favorite campsite is 868 for its views, and then 856 for its privacy. The campsites are close to one another, but there tends to be lots of shrubbery and trees in between the campsites, so you don't see your neighbors too much.

When visiting, I would recommend trying to bring your bicycle to Peninsula State Park! It's a large park and has an wonderful bike trail called Sunset Trail, which travels throughout the state park and brings you right along the shores of Lake Michigan. Also, try to hike Eagle Trail! Even though its difficult, it has some beautiful views of the lake and bluffs. There is lots to do at Peninsula State Park, along with some beautiful scenery and has become one of my favorite places to camp since I was a child.

Crowded...crowded

I wanted to give 2 out of 5 stars but felt that would be unfair since we only experienced one campsite area, South Nicollet area. Very crowded, basically all RV's with families, we were in ear shit of crying babies and dogs with small dog syndrome! If RV'ing is your thing, this might be 5 out of 5 but for tent camping it's incredibly loud and crowded. Virtually no privacy beside maybe a couple spots. I've heard Tennison bay campsites are more secluded? Maybe that's the way to go, so book in advance, and go for campsites in the outer circles of the areas! I'd recommend hitting up eagle trail early before it gets busy, very unique trail but bring ankle support lots of rocks. And rent a canoe/kayak lots of great views. I can def see coming back to PSP but only for a day pass. I'd pass on this one if you prefer tent camping.