The best DRIVE IN camping near
White Sands, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent White Sands Camping Reviews
Close to town and easy, pretty enough

Spots are along a gravel road to a hiking a trail. Easy to find and close to town. Not much shade, no amenities. Good amount of space between campers… Pretty decent spot!

Hueco Tanks State Park & Historic Site

April 12, 2019 Loved this park. People wait in line in hopes they can get in for day visit. There are areas that require a guide and some where we can hike alone. We enjoyed exploring the park and climbing the mountains. Campers had to get a permit to climb the mountain by 10 a.m. or they would lose their chance to climb. Campsite had electric and water. There was a dump station, shower and flush toilets. Very clean. Before entering the campground it was mandatory to watch a film about the park. They are very protective of this sacred place.

Great place

Great place for a short camping trip, there is no natural running water, but it has great facilities

Chihuahan desert mountains and trails

My son and I camped in the Tom Mays Unit of the Franklin Mountains State Park over Labor Day weekend 2013. We hiked up to Aztec Cave and then scrambled above it for a beautiful view of west El Paso and beyond. Lots of other trails. There were plenty of sites and I wondered why there weren’t more campers in a county with 830,000 people, not including Juarez. We were new to El Paso then and I don’t remember a lot of heat and sun. It seemed pleasant enough though I might be scared of the heat nowadays at that time of year. Good times.

Lonely desert

Gap Tank is located in the gap between Mt. Riley and the E. Potrillo Mountain ridge in the Desert Peaks National Monument on BLM land in the Chihuahuan Desert. Very few people out there. Very primitive. No campground. Little to no shade. I’ve camped here twice in my truck bed—once in 2017 when I climbed Mt. Riley and once in 2020. Close to Mexican border but I didn’t have any problems. Probably not conducive to RVs because difficult to pull off county road.

Beautiful campground

Amazing place. Wicked hike right at the campsite. 6 stars

Spacious site, great extras

We paid extra for a site with swing, paver patio, table and chairs. Site was very large, private, and well worth the extra $. We had a great time, the only reason not 5 stars was overnight/early morning noise. Train tracks not far away and one night I heard it at least 5 different times. 6:45a trash pickup on Tues mornings FYI. Just be aware if you’re a light sleeper. Otherwise, excellent campground and staff. Very clean, very accommodating. Quality water/electrical/sewer hook ups as well.

Developed Campsite / Beautiful Location

I spent a night here while passing though, and while the campsite is very developed (facilities, lots of paved roads/areas), it’s in a beautiful location a good distance from populated areas.

Great Stop When Passing Through

We stopped at this KOA for one night while passing through New Mexico.   We had a great view of the valley below and our site had everything we needed--full hookups. We were pretty close to others but that's not unusual for a KOA. Nothing wrong with this place but not a luxurious campground.

A 100% positive experience

We stayed here shortly after White Sands was made a national park. Very clean facility, general store, bathrooms, and showers available. There was a “Pick n’ Grin” going on the night we stayed, where people played various instruments, and gathered to listen. We usually prefer primitive camping, but this was a lovely break from the norm.