Pajarito Mesa, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Pajarito Mesa Camping Reviews

This was a true Gem! We stayed the evening here and we were greeted with friendly faces! The spaces were amazing level and wide Each site had a fire area and a covered picnic area nice concrete area at each site! Walking trails and beautiful lakes for fishing!

Magical Healing Place

I visited this magical place. It is absolutely beautiful. During the day the myriad of plants are enchanting. At night the stars and sounds otherworldly. And the healing energy of Michaela and Ernesto brought me back into light. Forever grateful.

Solid sites but nothing special

This was our first time camping in the Manzanos. The campsites are well made with a picnic table and fire ring. There isn’t a tent pad but all of the spots have a nice section of relatively flat ground. There are several vault toilets spread through the site. Cost is $7 per night. There is no water source at or near the campsites so make sure to bring enough for your stay. The campground is clean and well maintained. The sites are relatively close together but the campsite wasn’t crowded. The road in is a forest road. SUV’s will be fine but starting to push it for cars. You can walk from the sites to the Fourth of July trail

Nice for overnight

Nice place for an overnight stay. Owner is nice, laundry, showers & restrooms. Close to highway, which you hear, but nice stop for just an overnight. Takes Good Sam & Passport.

Beautiful view

its actually called Coronado, not Corondado. So don’t type that into your gps My boyfriend and I took a 13 state journey this summer over the course of 3 weeks and this was one of my favorite campsites we stayed at. 👍🏻🏕 If you stay there I highly recommend camping in site r7 or the sites that have the little huts. The view of the Sandia mountains was absolutely incredible. There’s also a tram that will take you up the Sandia mountains that’s the longest tram in North America, 2nd longest in the world. It was beautiful. You can hike up the trails to a cabin built in the 1930s that is simply worth the hike up in the thin mountain air. 10/10 would highly recommend this site!

1st time Rving

This was are 1st time trying out our 5th wheel. We live in Albuquerque and wanted to try something close to home. This was a nice park located next to a lake that can be fished with a license. RV park is part of Isleta Casino and free shuttle service is offered from your Rv to the Casino. We would definitely stay again, only draw back is it's close to the railroad station and the train blows its horn. Paid about $35 nightly for full hookups.

Run down RV park in the mountains

This place is run down and outdated but I enjoyed my stay. The park is up a little dirt road that takes you into the mountain. There is a small visitor center and pool that wasn't in working use when I was there. Coun laundry. Free hot showers. You will see lots of wildlife here, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. If you have little dogs with you, be careful and keep them close. During my stay a coyote got my neighbors small pug. Lots of full timers here also that didn't seem to keep their spaces very clean. Overall this place isnt the best, but it's a unique location for an RV park and super cheap.

Urban campground

We stayed here for our annual Cub Scout camp out. We tent camped around a group site. It’s next to the Coronado Monument and the Rio Grande with an awesome view of the Sandia mountains.

Land of enchantment

New Mexico is a land of wonders and beauty in every turn. From its famous green or red chili and the smell of roasted chiles in the streets to the beautiful sandia mountains that shimmer at sunset to the many parks and recreation areas to explore. New Mexico truly is like no other state and must be on your to bucket list!

Quiet Spot off the beaten path

Roomy, pull-through parking. The slides and awning were fully extended without getting close to the adjacent sites. Office was open later than most and you can stay in open spots even if you arrive after hours! Quiet area with some long-term residents that was a nice break from the road trip!

Loved it!

Enjoyed the site! They had RV, cabins and tent camp sites. My friend and I are tent campers and there was more than enough space for the vehicle and both our tents. They have showers (limited to 5 mins but better than nothing!), they have a dishwashing stations and two bathhouses. The lady at the front desk was helpful and extremely nice. There is a store really close by also! They have charcoal grills at the tent sites and one communal fire pit. We paid about $20. Would absolutely go back again! The sad part is the museum is closed due to lack of funding 😭

Worth the trip

Been there a couple times. Enjoyed the fishing, accessibility to the casino, golf course and lakes! Lots to do in a small area! I will go back!

Convenient to Albuquerque happenings

Good campground with access to all Albuquerque has to offer. Quick biking to the Sandia trails and short drive to hiking. The bus stop is nearby so getting around town is easy too. There is lots to do. The desert is in full bloom right now.

Great little RV Park

I spend 3 months here and everyone made me feel welcomed and like family. They have a community room, laundry, showers, and on site LP. The staff are friendly and are so willing to help

Nice place

Go!!!

Tranquility near Old Town

Mother Bosque Gardens is a little retreat in an urban Albuquerque neighborhood. I’ll admit, for me, it was a first for camping in a backyard (that wasn’t my own). Ernesto and Michaela, our hosts, were immediately welcoming and kind. They feel like we could have known them for a lifetime, even though we’ve only met for minutes. Upon arrival, they gave us the tour, and even offered to share a bowl of the aromatic soup simmering upon their stove.

Campsite and Amenities

The campsites (I believe there are two tent sites) are located on the two opposite sides of the house. They are both very private and remarkably quiet. The quiet was surprising being in a city, but it was quieter than many campgrounds we’ve stayed where other groups of campers may be playing music or chatting (loudly) by the fires. The campsite has a private entrance through a gate; parking is off the street. Our campsite space in the side yard, had a table, a couch, and a grill. As stated on the website, and in the Dyrt details, there are no campfires allowed. Michaela and Ernesto welcomed us to use their kitchen, although we preferred some mother and daughter time outdoors during our stay. The tranquil backyard is towered over by old growth trees, and the gardening is exquisite. We shared the space with hummingbirds and roses. The clean bathroom is inside the home where there is a shower available. Michaela and Ernesto even offered the use of their towels. My daughter quickly pointed out that there is Wi-Fi.

The location is very near to the Rio Grande River and the Bosque, which is the natural forest that runs along the Rio Grande. My daughter and I left early in the morning to explore the banks of the flooded Rio Grande (May), and noted the many remarkable birds: violet green swallows swooping along the river exposing their vibrant colors, ducks, egrets, herons, a red-tailed hawk, and several Canadian Geese. We sadly missed the wily roadrunner with three babies in tow. The Rio Grande Nature Center State Park was an excellent starting point for the Bosque.

Mother Bosque Gardens is also located only a few miles from the heart of old Albuquerque, including Old Town, the zoo, the botanical gardens, and the excitement of Central Avenue.

Practical Pointers

As noted on the website, the camp space can only accommodate an 8X8 tent; it may accommodate two smaller tents. We’ve shared a photo of a standard 2-person backpacking tent set up in the space. I believe the website lists a maximum of three campers in the site. A family with children exceeding a total of 3, who can manage to sleep in tents that meet the size restriction, might consider contacting Michaela and Ernesto for permission to bring more than three. Finally, there is a small walk from the parking at the front of the house to the campsite, so plan to make sure your gear is portable enough to carry it the 75-ish feet (I’m not a good judge of distance so it may be anywhere from 40 feet to 100).

Final Impression

My daughter and I planned to spend a day in Albuquerque for some quality time. In honor of new experiences, we tried something new for us by staying at Mother Bosque Gardens. We were both incredibly happy that we did. We had a wonderful experience not only camping in a beautiful garden, but from the opportunity to meet Michaela and Ernesto. We were welcomed strangers, but I couldn’t help but feel like we departed from friends.

Fine print about my ratings

When I use a star rating system, I truly do consider 3 out of 5 to be average and expected. Anything above three stars is superb and awe-inspiring. I save 5 out of 5 for what I feel is the most enchanted locations. After all, dishing out a 5 for every spot I like wouldn’t help other campers (as it doesn’t help me in return). I consider it rather difficult to provide a star rating for Mother Bosque Gardens because it was such a unique experience for me. As hosts, I would absolutely give Ernesto and Michaela a 5 out of 5. The campsite has some natural limitations as compared to a traditional site, so while the campsite was very comfortable, when compared with large campsites surrounded Giant Sequoias or a serene alpine lake, well…that’s just hard to beat. So, I’ve settled on a 4 out of 5.

Booking with The Dyrt

I had the honor and pleasure of booking this trip through The Dyrt even as they were still rolling out the bookings. I found the process to be simple and effective.

Pretty Nice little spot

Found this Campground to be pretty nice overall! Mainly RV's and Campers, in fact I didn't see a single tent or tent site during our stay. The Lots are fairly close together and all have a little covered picnic table area next to the drive through RV slots. Bathrooms and showers worked just fine, though my girlfriend said the womens shower would turn itself off every 30 seconds or so (the mens worked just fine).

It's about 20 minutes north of albuquerque which is nice since you're far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle but close enough to explore the city. We went for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta and we could see the balloons from the campgrounds early in the morning.

There's also a Bad Ass Coffee down the street which is one of my favorites!

Nice for Rv and travel trailers

We arrived in the evening and only stayed one night. Whe facility was super clean. We walked to nearby restaurants. There was a hot tub open, but the pool was closed.

Clean and close to the mountains and Albuquerque

CAMPGROUND REVIEW: Turquoise Trail Campground, Cedar Crest, NM

Turquoise Trail Campground is a small privately owned campground located five miles north of I-40 off Route 14 (exit 175) just outside the east side of Albuquerque. Tucked along the base of the Sandia mountains, at 6940’ elevation. http://www.turquoisetrailcampground.com/

There is plenty of visible signage to guide you down Snowline Dr into the campground.

As you approach the office/museum on the right, the RV/Camper loop is visible on the left (which appeared full). Behind the office building are two tent loops (upper and lower). There are two very clean bathroom/showerhouses located between the office and tent loops. A laundry room and dishwashing sink is located at the back of the office building. *This is also the only water access for the tent loops.

RV sites have full hookups. Tent sites have only a leveled, gravel tent pad, picnic table and standing grill. Only stove fires were permitted at our visit due to open fire restrictions.

Tent sites are separated by scrub brush, which offered partial privacy between most sites, but you will hear your neighbors. The outer tent sites back up to a residential area, with a fence separating. Bring earplugs for undisturbed sleeping, as road noise from Route 14 can be heard, along with local dogs randomly in the distance.

At $20 a night, the campground is convenient and sufficiently met our needs as we traveled west on a tight itinerary.

Shower tokens are provided with your nightly fee. Each token gives you 7 minutes of shower time.

There is plenty to do nearby, with bike trails and hiking trails…though nothing of particular interest in the campground itself.

The bustling city of Albuquerque is the next exit west, so you are still very close to shopping, eateries, and nightlife.

Hub of Activity

This campsite was efficient, friendly, and had plenty of entertainment available. We walked to the brewery next door and made good use of the dog parks.

Nice big lot. All paved with gravel "yards"

Big lot, easy access. Good condition electric and sewer. Nice picnic tables and trees everywhere.

Nice campground to hike from

no RV sites but 10 great campsites. Vaulted toilets available.

Clean and very well maintained.

This evening campground was very clean and well maintained. They had a pool for guest along with a contentinal breakfast. However it was only beagles and cereal but it was included in the cost of camping.

very nice and the country outdoor experience is right there

it is very secluded from the outside interuptions

A Hidden Gem!

Well off the beaten path, but worth a few nights of peace and solitude. Went in July and the weather was cool in the 80's most of the time, cooling to the upper 40's at night. Isolated at the end of a road in the edge of the Monzano Mountains, it is fully treed with great shade. Good place for an RV or tent. Nice hiking (easy) trails. Flush toilets but no showers. Dump station. Very nice facility.

Deadman is closed

Deadman campground is closed

Much busier than I would have thought for how rough it was

Pretty open sites (less than a dozen) which are on some pretty rough desert/mountain terrain.

There are some nice shaded picnic shelters, but no water…there are vault toilets (a bit smelly and hot)

Cobola national forest has a ton of awesome trails and you're not too far from Albequerque

Ponderosa Pines!

Loved the smells of camping near the ponderosa pines. Clean facilities, not very crowded. Felt like we had the place to ourselves! Good hiking trails near the campsites!

Great Place for kids!

My children and I stayed 2 nights in a camping cabin at the Bernalillo KOA in May, 2017. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our booking process, even when we needed to make changes. The cabin was clean and neat, the KOA showerhouse was as well. They had a nice pool with plenty of shade and an outdoor movie in the evenings which my kids enjoyed. It was an excellent base for exploring the surrounding area, including the Jemez Mountains, many pueblos, Bandelier National Monument, Petroglyph National Monument and Kashe Katuwe National Monument.

A very handy place to stay

When campgrounds at higher elevations are closed, this is a really nice option. Staff are friendly, there is laundry and Wi-Fi on site, and the campground connects to a brewery a short walk away!