Navajo, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Navajo Camping Reviews
Really Nice!

This campground was exceptionally clean and a great place to stay. The staff was very nice, the sites are level and wide enough to feel comfortable. The children enjoyed the pool and we took advantage of dinner available on site. Very positive experience!

Oklahoma

The cleanest park we’ve been to yet. Showers, bathroom and laundry are spotless as well the campground itself. The owners daughter was extremely helpful and friendly as she checked us in. The store on site is pretty large. We will definitely come back!

High traffic low privacy

Indian Route 12 runs north to south and bisects the wheatfields lake and the main campground areas. Overnight camping and fires are discouraged along the lake but people get away with it. There is sporadic night traffic on the roadway throughout the night and it is sometimes loud. The campsites are hit and miss. Some have old dilapidated picnic tables and along with sandstone fire rings or barriers. The roads to the campsite are not graded and over time roads have been created through campsites with no regard.

There are 3 compost type toilet facilities at various parts of the lake. No running water. There are some trash receptacles but most leave their trash in piles next to the receptacles because the chutes to the receptacles are about 12x12 and wont accommodate a large trash bag. There are numerous stray dogs in the area that take advantage of the trash piles.

Fishing: I have only seen small rainbow trout. Stockers from the Navajo Hatchery in Toadlena NM. There is no motorized access to the east side of the lake as it was blocked off years back by metal tube barriers.

Too many rude fishers and kids running around unchecked. Fiddling with your fishing area and fishing gear.

So good, we were there twice in one trip!!

Wonderful facility. Level sites. Cleaner than clean restrooms and laundry facility. Great store and great staff. We were there off season, so pool wasn’t open yet but that is not an issue for us. Military discount.

Fantastic!!!

We were so pleased with our stay here! The property and facilities are impeccable. This is family owned and run. They are so friendly and accommodating. If you stay here, go to the outdoor snack bar for Mom's Apple Crisp at 730pm. It's out of this world!

Hummmm

Small tent spaces , not a whole lot offer, just tent space

Mainly an RV-friendly campground, strictly managed

Drove in here late in the day (about 9:30pm) to find the bathrooms locked and sites full of RVs. Turns out their policy is that you get a key to the bathroom if you check in, and the office closes at 4:30pm, so if you haven't arrived by then you are going to be looking for a place to squat, and good luck finding one that's not in sight of at least 8 other campers.

Unpowered sites are $10 and powered are $20. The rock in the area is pretty, but that's about it. Otherwise this is an unpleasant, muddy city park with little to offer. Keep on driving, if you ask me!

Road Trip Route 66

Nice RV Campground along Route 66. Good rates and a lot of amenities

Calm and Charming

Had a blast staying here. Went fishing took my 12 footer aluminum boat caught a good amount of fish.

Visit Canyon de Chelly

Stayed here two night so we could hike and horse back ride in canyon de Chelly. This campground could be better the grasse in the site needed to be mowed. It’s a nice location close to the opening of the canyon and horseback rides are across the street. Be careful what you leave out theft here is a problem, we had our bumper hitch stolen while we were in town shopping.

Freeway campground

I have stayed at this campground several time it was a New Mexico Stae Park, it has since been turned over to the city of Gallup as a city park. There are several hiking and horseback riding trails around this campground. One of the best is to castle rock a really good hike. Make sure you call to check for availability, there is a rodeo arena near by and will fill up if there is a rodeo.

Color, Color, Color

More a stopover Park, Red Rock is nestled amongst beautiful sandstone cliffs that are mesmerizing. There are full hook ups available, and bathroom/showers as well. Take a hike to Bell Rock, or gaze night skies.

Great WiFi!

This RV Campground is great, one of the nicest, cleanest we’ve ever been too. The price was fantastic for what you get. We only stayed one night here and left wanting to stay longer. Everything is so clean and nice looking. Heated pool, BBQ dinner plate for purchase is available some nights. There’s a nice playground for kids. Although the kids were wanting to take advantage of the WiFi lol we were able to stream and download what we needed fast. We’d stay here again FOR SURE. Conveniently right off of the I40.

I FEEL BAD GIVING A 1 STAR

… As far as campgrounds go, I would not choose this spot. It is close to a scenic national monument and is located right at the entrance and is easy to get in and out of. That is where the positives end. It is sparse and fairly packed. It doesn't have a ton of vegetation as it is in the desert so expert dirty and hot. The monument itself is worth experiencing but I wouldn't plan for it to be a destination, just a pit stop. I won't stay here again.

National Forest

Densely wooded PRIMITIVE campground with trails and fishing but NO WATER. We only stayed there while driving from ABQ to the coast, which was perfect for us, but we will plan to return to explore the Cibola National Forest more. It was cool and shady in August so we quite enjoyed it as a stopover. In our little sedan we didn’t have trouble, but I think there are other forest service roads you’d want a jeep for?

Camping in the southwest

My first visit to New Mexico and the southwest. Red Rock Park is in Gallup, NM right on the Arizona state line in between Albuquerque and Flagstaff. Church Rock Trial and Pyramid Rock Trail are both about 3 to 3 and a half miles round trip from the campground. Your surrounded by desert on one side and dark red stone on the other, very cool place and trails.

It's So Quiet

We stayed at Quaking Aspen Campground for one night but thats all it took. I fell in love with the campground. The big aspen trees, how remote and quiet it was. The elevation at which the cg is at is 8000' makes for cool days and nic crisp cool nights, even in the summertime.

Wide open spaces

So open and wide in this state park, the sky is beautiful and the rocks are orange. I remember going here when I was younger and to revisit is just amazing. I would defiantly recommend this state park to anyone.

Wonderful Base to Explore the Hidden Beauty of the Zuni Mountains

We used this campground as a starting point for a research trip sampling Precambrian rocks of the Zuni Mountains. I hadn't spent much time in this part of New Mexico, and assumed that the trip was going to be hot and sun-bleached, similar to the desert exposed in nearby Gallup, NM. I was surprised to drive into a beautiful forest just a few minutes off I40.

The campsite includes basic forest service amenities: pit toilets, picnic tables, and metal-rimmed fire pit/grill sites. What set this apart from other non-hosted campsites for me was the condition of the grounds. The tent camping sites had well maintained, leveled tent pads, maintained gravel roads, and clean facilities. The Sites offered a reasonable degree of privacy, although some of the sites near the middle of the loop road place you in close proximity to your neighbor. The area is moderately wooded with pine and aspen, providing shade throughout the day and easy access to the dirt road that transects the Zuni Mountains, letting you out near the Bandera volcano and ice cave, which is a wonderful drive if you have a high clearance/4x4 and time to drive through.

We saw abundant wildlife while working in the Zunis, including several brown bears, deer, and elk. While we didn't have any run ins with these guy in camp, be aware that large animals are present in the area and be sure to take necessary bear-proofing precautions.

Camp fees were $5/night, which is quite the bargain given the well-kept grounds and wonderful scenery. If you're looking for a less-traveled escape from Albuquerque, or just want the chance to explore the under-valued Zuni mountains and western New Mexico landscape (and some pretty interesting geologic features such as orbicular granite), this campground is an excellent place to spend some time on the cheap.

Photos included are from the Zunis south of the campsite, as I didn't think to take any photos while we were at camp.