La Plata, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent La Plata Camping Reviews
Good campground for lake access

We camped at Vallecito for a week in July of 2019. The water to the reservoir was pleasantly over capacity (a joy after a drought) but meant that the water line was well into the brush making swimming a challenge among the branches and driftwood that would tangle little feet. I saw signs that I assume were supposed to be at a beach, twenty feet out into the lake. I would imagine that this would be a great swimming hole when the lake was at a normal capacity.

The campground was typical for a forest service campground. There are vault toilets and the host comes around once per day. There is a dumpster. There is clean water.

The campground is almost entirely shaded by tall pines. There is a creek that trickles past some of the campsites (which makes for a pleasant sound when lying in the tent at night).

Noise travels over the water and through this area like it doesn't at many other campgrounds. While overall, I found the campground to be quiet and peaceful, neighbors arguing a few campgrounds down, or being rowdy by the fire, will keep the light sleeper awake at night.

There are many RV parks on the other side of the lake (about a 20-30 minute drive from North Canyon) where showers can be purchased for about $5. Call ahead. There is small store on the other side of the lake too, but it was closed when we went trough.There is a camp store in an RV park only a few miles away from North Canyon where a camper could likely purchases supplies. Bayfield has many amenities.

The campgrounds on the East side of Vallecito are all located on a very well maintained dirt road. If driving to the camp from Bayfield be sure to take a right before the dam. We camped in a large group of people, and most of them missed this turn. Trying to drive around the lake will create two problems. The first is the addition of an hour to your drive time. Secondly, a couple miles north of North Canyon Campground, the road ceases to be well maintained (this questionable area is not marked as a road on all maps and is likely seasonal). There is a dirt road that will connect the North to the East--however, but many vehicles and trailers are not recommended to pass through. To drive through it will look as though the traveller is going through at least two different, private campgrounds. They will pass a warning sign about the road conditions, and they will have to go up a steep grade and around a sharp corner. The dirt road is minimally maintained. Having said that, I arrived at Vallecito from the North after and 4 day wilderness trek in the Weminuche, so I wanted to investigate this stretch of dirt road.  I was able to pass through with my minivan (nicknamed VanJeep). Needless to say, it would be better to take the right before the dam!

Nice campground - High price

Morefield Campground is the only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, but be forewarned, you might just experience a little sticker shot at the price. Cost for a tent site with NO hookups was almost$35 after taxes. The campground does has flush toilets and wifi through out the campground. Next to the camp store are showers and a coin laundry. Each campsite has a picnic table, tent pad and metal fire ring. The campsites really vary in appearance, some are out in the open right next to each other, other are in the trees and bushes which gives you a little more privacy, but most are still right next to another very close site. Some other these are perfectly level areas, others will have you going up of down stairs. The sites with stairs seemed to be slightly more secluded. While it was nice to have restrooms with running water, their was no way to dry your hands, so bring a towel with you as they have no paper towels or air driers for you hands. Water could be found at the restrooms. For you trash you had to find the one dumpster in the middle of the camping loop, but be warned, it could be difficult for some to open. I was a bit disappointed that the campground wasn't kept in better shape, especially for the price they were charging. Several campsites were closed due to needing repair, and the trail from the camp loop to the store was falling apart, it is need of new pavement or just remove it and go to a dirt path. They have Wifi, and said it was better the closer to the restrooms you were, but if a few people are using it, it really slows down. The Wifi was nice as you have no cell service in the campground. All in all this is a nice campground except for the price.

Great spot!

Great camping spot! Super close to Mesa Verde National Park! And it's freeeee! The road to get the the sites is rutted out so you do need some clearance! We have a subaru impreza and it was fine! No amentinites.. Spots are numbered. We stayed in 4!

Nice campground - But be prepared for sticker shock

Ranger Review of Banner & Oaks' Patriot Navy Blue T-Shirt At Morefield Cam

Nice campground but a bit pricey

Ranger Review of Banner& Oaks Patriot Navy Blue T-Shirt

I really like this T-shirt. Fit is just right and the shirt is really soft, and has stayed that way after numerous washings. The best thing is that it is American made, hard to find much in the way of clothing that is anymore.

Just what I needed

After two days roughing it in the wilderness with no facilities, Moore’s was a great place to pitch a tent, take a shower and relax in a chair in the shade before heading to Durango. I have stayed here twice and will do so again

Diamond in the Rough

This is an absolutely amazing place to stay and camp in the desert. The owners are amazing and have gone above and beyond to make this place awesome. It’s like college dorm style living, but outside. Hot showers, pit toilets, and a fully appointed public kitchen with an ice machine really bring it all together. I really enjoyed using the kitchen and covered sitting area, which is nice to get out of the wind. The observation deck is also a great place to sit and watch the sunset and stars. I will be coming back to here again and again! Would be an awesome place for a teardrop camper.

Friendly staff and great location

I recently stayed at this campground and it was wonderful. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I forgot my spare tire cover behind at my campsite and when I called they grabbed it and held onto it for me. The campsite was well maintained and the bathrooms and showers were very clean.

The greatest thing about this campground though is that the Durango steam train goes right through the campground. To see the historic train right from your camper or tent window is pretty great.

I would absolutely stay here again.

It’s okay

It’s not my favorite place to camp. I wouldn’t recommend staying by the water if you have kids, it’s right by a cliff. You have to walk into the spot which isn’t to bad. If you have a boat then this is a great place. The views and sunset are amazing though!!

Amazing!!

They camp host were amazing!! The bathrooms were the cleanest I have seen at a campground!! If you love to SUP this is an amazing place to go to. We are definitely coming back next summer!!

Will come back!

This site is amazing, great staff willing to help and friendly. The bathrooms are very well kept and the upkeep of the park is great. They have wifi hotspots throughout the park so it works on all corners. The sites are well spaced out with grass on each side and big enough for a 38' fifthwheen with plenty of space to park full hookups and shade trees in some sites. The lake view spots are amazing backed right up to their private lake. Plenty of walking trails and areas to run with the pups. This place is 20 from durango but bayfield has plenty to do in town. They are open year around and maintain the roads during a snow making access in and out easy.

Big Nope

Did have full hookups. Campers stacked on top of each other. No showers or bathrooms. Very urban feeling.

Nice place to stay

My husband and I stayed here and it was clean and the cabin was nice. The showers were hot and clean and we will definitely be back.

Peaceful

You could hear water flowing to the lake from most campsites. The lake was great for kayaking and we saw a lot of people fishing. Great hiking trail that follows along a stream. Camp hosts were great and the bathrooms were very clean! Will definitely be back!

Great place for learning.

Spent three days here, with our too young daughter, she's now 9 and ready to go back and learn more of the history of this land and it's people.

Shady Oasis in the Desert

Sits on the West side of the San Juan about 3 river miles below the dam and across from the Crusher Hole ramp. No pull out for your drift boat on the camp side. About 2/3rds of the sites are very well shaded, most have covered picnic tables and are a mix of asphalt and concrete pads. Bathrooms were very clean. It was Labor Day weekend but the evenings were quiet and the Campground never felt crowded. Easy access to the river from the campground and several hiking trails nearby including some neat ruins. There is about 2miles of dirt road to access but was well maintained. You are a short drive to gas, food and even a winery.

Beautiful lake

We really enjoyed this campground specifically for the location and the beautiful lake. Great place to kayak, SUP, and fish. However we had a very small campsite And could barely squeeze 3 small tents on it. Unfortunately no good trees to hang our hammocks, but the camp sites closest to the lakes had the best views and biggest space. Nicely kept bathrooms but no sink.

Really felt like I was away

Spent a few days at Junction Creek campground over Labor Day. Tough to get a reservation, but checked daily until there was a cancellation and was able to snag a great double site (Loop E #14) with electric hookups. The double site allowed us to put our 24-foot trailer across both spots with our front door facing the back of the campsite with nothing but beautiful national forest behind us! 🌲🌲🌲

Practical things: Double site has two picnic tables, two RV/trailer spots, two electrical hookups, a fire pit, and a tent pad. Separate men and women put toilets are very clean. Loop E is the only one with electric hookups. There are no water or sewer hookups here, which was perfect in my mind.

Important things: Sites are nicely spread out so you feel like you have privacy and space. It’s extremely quiet and we enjoyed the sound of crickets and campfires at night. Very close access to hiking on the Colorado Trail. You’ll pass by one of the Trail entrances just before you enter the campground. Only 5 miles out of town, so it’s easy to grab the necessities you need from City Market or enjoy dinner out in historic downtown Durango. Highly recommend this campground.

Cool place to camp!

Athough I booked a 2 night stay I was only here 1 of the 2 days.  Very nice campground.  The pads and spots are nice and well groomed.  I booked one of the nicer spots too.  There are hookups at this campground and it isn't too far away from stores.  Liked the place overall.  No rushing waters but Haviland Lake took the attention.  Serene, not crowded with noise from the main road which is a ways off the water front on the other side of the campground.  The camp sites are not close to one another and provide ample privacy.  There are trees and shade, take bug spray as the mosquitoes want ya.  Very nice place in my book!  I would return!  Pricey but nice! Bathrooms are well maintained and just an overall pretty classy spot.

AWESOME

We added this to a trip a few years back and we were so glad that we did. First: the camp grounds are great some really nice private sites. Not a lot of shade though. Great bathhouse with nice showers and a small store close to the camp grounds. Second: the cliff dwellings are incredible! We only had time for one tour but we will be back to check out the others.

Real nice

A lot of great spots and a lot of mooing cows

Walk to the river

Several sites with concrete pad, table, electric, fire ring, shade and water. Crowded but sites are tucked away. Can be a little loud at night with all the RVs running. River is a short walk from most sites and about 20 mins driving to the marina.

Get away from the crowds.

If you don't have a boat or fancy water toys.. Sims Mesa is where you should go. Much less crowded than the main marina. We camped at the Lakeshore Camping area. Several sites available right on the lake, just steps away from the water. Bathrooms available. Water and trash available just a short walk. Dogs are supposed to be leashed, but a lot of people don't seem to follow this rule. Not much shade on the Lakeshore, so make sure to bring something for the day time.

Well maintained

Heavy use and most sites very close to each other. Several people ran generators but I'm guessing not an issue during less peak weekends. Otherwise wonderful place close to lake shore when it's full. Could be a tricky walk if it's down. It was beautiful and cool temps.

By the river

Single campsites available as well. No reservations, only group site has reservations. All the other 15 sites are FCFS. Sites have picnic tables, fire ring. Campground has vault toilets, water and trash collection. Camp host from May-Sept, has firewood for sale.

Nice RV Campgrounds w/ Cabins, Tents & Wagons

Just off the main road to the East of Dolores, backed up to the river.

Great for those wanting to do water sports

It’s a good campground. It’s just a little dated. We stayed at Tiffany Loop, 027. Some of the tent sites at that loop need some attention (the barrier fence was down and the site overgrown ). Our site was just fine for what it was. Nice sized parking spot that we backed into. Gravel pad with (uncovered) picnic table and fire pit. There was a grassy spot where we placed our tent. Lots of sticky prickly grass around so watch your little kids :) the water is down behind the camp sites , down a steep hillside. We were not able to explore the water as we had to leave early due to sick kids but there were lots of boaters, pontoons, and house boats out there and we were planning to rent something! At Tiffany Loop, there are flushing toilets, a sink, and coin showers that are all clean! At Rosa Loop (a short drive ), there are coin showers, flushing toilets, and coin laundry services. It is very hot and sunny during the day so I’d bring a shade tent too! There are cabins at Tiffany loop as well.

Morefield at Mesa Verde National Park is great! July, 2019

This was one of the few national parks that didn’t take reservations via recreation.gov and their prices were a bit higher, but we booked anyway. So, the campground has FREE WiFi, FREE showers, a campstore, plenty of flush toilets with nice sinks and running water. There is also a laundromat with great prices. The store, showers laundromat etc are a very short walk from the tent campsites. The WiFi reaches the campground, it was great for amenities. The park is amazing if you have never been, we highly recommend it.

Rustic resort on the doorstep of Mesa Verde National Park

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights in late July in a 34-foot travel trailer. We made reservations over the phone and found the customer service to be exemplary (I called at the last minute to both cancel and then later to re-instate my reservation when we had car trouble on the way). When we arrived the check-in process was straight forward and easy. The roads are gravel but well-graded and the majority of the sites are pull-thru. We had no trouble getting into ours, however, we found rather quickly that sites are extremely close together. Our back-side neighbors had to move their picnic table back in order to accommodate our driver-side slide (the distance between our extended slide and their trailer is about 8 feet. But… we all made it work. There is a 10 pm lights-out policy to cut down on light pollution and see the stars. And the people who camped next to us were considerate.

The campground has lots of amenities. A log cabin (rec center) with pool, video games, TV with DVD library, books, and board games. Laundry with decent pricing. Mini-golf ($3 per person). A nice pool and hot tub. A dog park with agility obstacles. Nice playground. Wifi signal is strong with decent bandwidth (they discourage streaming). Next door is a horseriding stables ($40 an hour, $25 for a half hour); the horses come up to the fence and love to be petted. The store in the office is small but has the basic amenities. Groceries can be purchased in Cortez, a 15-minute drive away. And, of course, Mesa Verde National Park is right across the road, less than 5 minutes to the visitor center.  The only downside (besides the tightness of the spaces) is that dumpster was very full and near to overflowing.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here, and thought the location to the park and local area was perfect. Would recommend and definitely stay here again.

Fishing Mecca

Great place for trout fishing. Not good for other activities. Want to stay out once there due to very rough access road. Despite this, I have traveled to the location four times from Georgia. Rate as 5 for fishing, 2 for all other.