The best TENT SITES camping near
Potter , NEBRASKA

Most Recent Potter Camping Reviews
Beautiful change of scenery

Took advantage of this past warmer weekend to camp here. It’s about 2 hours from Denver. There were a couple spots on the road you might want higher clearance, but mostly smooth and all easily passable in a stock Outback.

Plenty of dispersed sites; we camped on an overlook a quarter mile or so from the Pawnee Buttes trailhead which had beautiful, clear views of the sunrise and sunset. We only saw one other site in use and some folks camped at the trailhead parking lot, but neither were visible from our site. The night sky is beautiful and full of stars, though not completely dark since we could see lights from nearby private lands.

The only negative was wind. It was very windy, especially at night (the wind rocked the car most of the night). It wasn’t an issue for us sleeping in the car, but I wouldn’t tent camp. Pawnee Buttes Trail was a great way to start the day the next morning and it was nice to have use of the bathrooms.

Overall a beautiful site, plenty of solitude (at least in the winter) and nice change of pace from the mountains. I would return.

Clean with a great view

We stopped for a night.  It is a standard RV type park operated by the city.  It was very clean and well maintained.  The price was reasonable and we had a nice view of Scotts

Bluff.  With full hookups which we needed as it was warm and we wanted to run the AC.  The park staff was friendly at check in.

One nice thing was the sites are plenty big.  We didn't feel like we were right on top of each other.  Excellent cell coverage.  We would stay again.

Spectacular landscape, views, quiet

Multiple dispersed campsites approaching the Pawnee Buttes trailhead from the west and southwest. I camped (rooftop tent) on the bluff overlooking the trailhead parking lot, approached from the south. Chilly at night (10 degrees) but no wind.

Spectacular view of the Pawnee Buttes to the east. Perfect spot to catch sunrise and sunset. This area is also a “dark site,” so on clear, moonless nights the stars / Milky Way are phenomenal.

During winter snow often drifts onto the roads. If snowy, 4-wheel drive / high clearance helpful for accessing some of the dispersed sites.

Trailhead restrooms are open year-round.

Consistent 3 bars 5G (AT&T). 200 Mbps down / 16 Mbps up.

Great spot close to home!

This is an unexpected gem very close to our house where you can't see a tree for miles. It's peaceful and not crowded. Be sure to check the forecast because it can get very windy at times.

Plenty of room

Very large area so you can have your own space. The sunset over the reservoir was beautiful

Secluded camping area

For an overnight stay this suited its purpose just fine.  Clean restrooms and sites. Treeless campsites with a shelter for sun and wind protection. But in October, the weather was accommodating.   Would definitely go here again for an overnighted on my way to the Rockies from the east on 80.

Awesome experience!

I showed up Monday evening. There were two cars in the parking lot, but there were two groups of people coming down the trail also, so by the time I had all my stuff situated to start hiking, I was the only one there. I found an awesome spot inside a ravine (it was very dry so I wasn’t worried about flash floods (still not smart) so wouldn’t do so in the winter) where I was visited by a badger, a porcupine, some antelope and many birds. I also found Mouse Bones so I’m sure there are mice. BUTTE-iful sunset, BUTTE-iful stars, BUTTE-iful sunrise, again everyone left by the time my camp was set up so I was all alone. 10/10 would recommend to campers, bikers, hikers, photographers, bird watchers, and just anyone who loves nature!!!!!🤘🏽

Lake is almost dry

The lake is dry about 50% No overnight camping. Just daytime beach. Nothing to do here any more

Clean but confusing

Stayed one night using one of the six tent camping sites. You either have to self register at the main office (unmanned) or go to Cabalas store and pay. A nice lady and daughter was waiting on a bus at the campsite building explained the procedure and most importantly gave me the 3 number pass to get into the bathroom (priceless)!

Bathrooms were clean. Camp is noisy due to I-80 is 1/4 mile away…u can see headlights at nite on your tent walls. Plenty fresh water outlets. Electrical was the large round 30/50 amp? I wasn’t able to hook in due to no adapter. Got around 2 hours of sleep. Bring ear plugs.

Nice and clean

Campground was very clean. Our toddler loved exploring Cabelas and playing at the playground.