The best GROUP camping near
Monroe , NEBRASKA

Most Recent Monroe Camping Reviews
Lots of Nature

We stayed late in the season on a very cold weekend. The site was empty since the weather was so cold. Plenty of nature to get lost in. It was also decorated from the Halloween party. There were 4 ponds and the river is a short trail hike away.

A special place

Found this campground The Dyrt. 10 or so RV sites and a large tent area. Tent area require walking in (which I wasn’t prepared to do) so I opted to pay thenRV fee and set my tent up in the grass near my car. Nice spot.

Perfect family place

Upper big blue is fantastic at the upkeep of the lake. They are non invasive and polite. Only thing I would change is having showers. Daily fees $15 And you can stay up to 14 days. They have around 10 hookups for RVs and a large area for camping with separate bathrooms. They also have a pavilion with grills available and fire pits with picnic tables on each slot. They also have playground equipment available for young children and fishing as well as a boat dock and a beautifully maintained hiking trail.

Sunset Reset

We stopped here for 1 night on our way through Nebraska. We arrived around 4:00 pm on a Saturday in September (record high temperatures 97°) hoping to get a spot as it states first come first serve. We were very lucky only 1 site was open and the off site host happen to be there when we arrived he said the campers before us had just left. I didn't use the women's restrooms here but my boyfriend Jesse said the male restroom was nice, clean and well lit at night. The concrete pads were nice, plenty wide and very level. It made setting up after a 7.5hr drive 🛣 very quick and easy. Nightly rate with electricity was $14 and was paid using envelope and drop box. There was only 1 spigot for fresh water our hose reached to it at site 8. We used the dump station 💩 on the way out and it was very nice! Level, clean and everything functional 👌 The lake was beautiful we set up and cooked dinner then took a short walk down to the lake to enjoy the sunset. I was surprised that at a full capacity campground on a lake during record high temperatures of 97° no one was at the lake. Someone had a few fishing poles set out but otherwise no one was around it was quite and peaceful. One problem we experienced at this campground were these small black biting nats or as Jesse calls them "no see ems" because they are so small you can barely see them but they hurt! Oh and the flies were awful! We called it a night early at 8:30p but had trouble sleeping because of a group of smaller children hollering and having a great time until after 11pm. We were just exhausted from driving but normally that would not have been an issue.

Bader review

When first arriving there is an office that has showers, bait, and vending machines. Tons of tent spots to choose from. You have the option to fish from 3 or 4 ponds plus the river is walking distance. Beach area for kids seems to have people there often. Good weekend get away.

My main get in spot for kayaking

Over the years this has been my get in spot for around 100 kayaking trips. I’ve never had any issues with anyone messing with my vehicle. People from Grand Island have ruined this park by partying. Now it’s closed half the time and no alcohol is allowed. When it reopens I will still use this as my main get in. Would be much higher rated if it had not been ruined from partying.

Not Bad

Typically this park is used by locals for its river access. Tooley is maintained by Hamilton County and is usually in decent condition. Alot of times the area is crowded since it is a pretty popular point to get in and out of the river when kayaking, tubing, etc.

Well kept park.

When arriving the first thing I noticed was how tucked back away from the roads the camping areas are. Clean bathrooms. Lots of new tree growth. I did not end up getting my boat on the water but caught a carp from shore. Each site has plenty of room and a newer picnic bench. Running water and shelter available at tent sites.

Make the trip you might be surprised

This is another NRD lake, and pretty well maintained. However unlike Wanhoo you don't need a pass or permit. Also the tent camping is free, and electrical is 18. From what I heard the fishing is good and the lake itself is beautiful. Not to mention there is the little town of Prague and the lake itself is in the Bohemian alps of Nebraska. It is also quiet and peaceful. The few down falls I can see is the lake is not simply accessible from the rvs. Also the trees in the tent area, that are close to the lake, and could cause issues with mosquitoes. So if your looking for something different, but not a ling drive from Omaha or Lincoln area, I would tell you to give it a try.

Quiet and Clean

4 of us tent camped here over Labor Day weekend and there was only one other camper in the tent site. Bathroom was very clean and the space was well maintained. There’s a 1.1 mile loop trail that skirts the North side of the lake with the trail head right off the tent site. Water was extremely murky so depending on what you’re fishing for it may not be the best.

Overall we loved the campground and will be back!