Algoma, MISSISSIPPI

Most Recent Algoma Camping Reviews
OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

“Literally lake front camping!”

Davis Lake Recreation Area is situated just 4 miles from the Natchez Trace Parkway. The campground is adjacent to the Eastern shore of the 200 acre Davis Lake. 14 sites are right on the lake front offering spectacular sun rises and evening sun sets, The lake is known to anglers, and wildlife and birds are a given…we had a Great Blue Heron"friend" during our entire stay. The sites were level, paved, and all had nice spacing, picnic tables, fire pits and well cared for electric service (50 amp) and water. Bathhouses were clean and laundry was available. Dump Station. Plenty of historic places to visit in the area and groceries are available in Houlka just 4 miles away. We visited in late September with only 6 sites in use…felt like we had the place to ourselves…and being located in the Tombigbee National Forest there was no light pollution making the night sky a spectacular sight to see.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Could be better

It’s location in proximity to Tupelo is awesome. The showers are nice and clean. 90% of the sites are shaded. The price is high. Especially for a place that can’t keep the WiFi active.

Not my kind of campground

First, it was impossible to find it. Took about two hours. My gps had me get off highway at wrong exit and then I didn’t know which intersection of 7 and 4 the campground was at. There are two. The area is really pretty, but I didn’t stay the night and just gave up my reservation. There was a sign out front saying that payment was required in the folder at the front but I payed online. That already confused me. No gate, no person at the front. Didn’t seem like the safest area to me either. I was driving trying to find my campsite and then I started itching. A mosquito had gotten in in that 30 seconds I had the window down. Campsite was basically dirt with gullies on the side so it was hard to back out. Trash all near table and fire pit. Swarms of bugs were already attacking my car before I could even stop. I didn’t even walk in the bathrooms to see what they were like. Might be good for day use because the trails looked nice from the road.

Nice, quiet campground

Campground was great and had hot showers free to both primitive site($7) and hookup site ($20) campers. The lake was gorgeous with a winding, unpaved bike trail that was really fun on mountain bikes! We didn’t try, but I bet fishing would be great here.

The only problem we had was the trash leftover by the previous campers. The fire pit was full of half-burnt garbage. Pick up after yourselves people!

Overall very quiet, peaceful Thursday night.

Clean and Quiet

Spacious sites with enough room between them to not feel crowded. multiple bathhouses spread around the campground the were very clean. many sites have a decent view of the lake. lake level was up so not much of the swim beach was exposed. day use picnic areas everywhere.

Nice and quiet

Older state park that could use some TLC, but it was peaceful and quiet. The bathrooms were clean and stocked. We were only able to spend a little time at the lake as we were in the area for a family gathering, in New Albany, so spent the bulk of our weekend away from the park. Friendly front gate staff. We would definitely stay here again.

Quiet stay

Had a comfortable night in a cabin. Cabin was warm & had everything we needed. Will stay here again if we’re in the area.

On the water ..kinda

We stayed 1 note but the RR's were clean,there were hiking trails and lots of space between most sites

Beautiful scenery

Clean campground with great scenery. Nice beach for swimming and some gorgeous water front camp sites.

Isolated

This is a beautiful area in the woods next to a lake. Has electric and water, no sewer. Bathrooms are not kept up, dirty and no lights in the showers. Pretty isolated, very few campers here. This could be a wonderful camping area, bathrooms need improvement!!

Great park

This is a great park for any type of camping. We were in an RV, there is full hook up. There is a small lake and close to Tupelo. Has hiking and biking trails. Highly recommend !!!

Nice place!

We stay here pretty often and it’s a popular place. Especially in the summer! Park is clean and well maintained.

This place is a ghost town. Half

Half of the park is abandoned/closed down and only one bath house is up and running. The few spots they do have are taken up by gigantic big rigs that don’t need the bathrooms so it’s terribly set up. The Ranger will try to bamboozle you into staying there when you are looking for the park next door (Hernando Point-Oak Grove).

Nice lake views

We tent camped for the weekend at George Payne Cossar State Park in March.  It was still a bit cold and the pollen had come out - looked like snow falling in my headlamp.  There is a playground for kids and dogs are allowed at the campgrounds.  We had a nice fire, roasted marshmallows, and wanted to play disc golf but the lake was too high and covered some of them!

Nice and quiet (if you're not staying on the Equine/ATV loop)

The road leading to the park could be improved a bit but it wasn't too bad. The park was nice and clean and the loop we stayed on was kept up pretty well. Sites were nice and level and it's hard to beat full hookups for the price!

The bathrooms were obviously older but still kept clean.

The lake had been drained at some point for repairs and it's still very low. There's not a whole lot to do in the park unless you bring horses or an ATV. Great place for a nice quiet getaway.

The neat thing is there's actually a special camping loop just for those that do have horses and ATVs, and it keeps the noise away from everyone else.

There's not a ton to do in nearby Tupelo but we did have a nice dinner at Harvey's, The zoo seemed rather expensive for its size.

Needs some work

Trace State Park near Tupelo, MS. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The road in is in terrible shape, the lake is missing, the levy being worked on. They have horse, ATV and mountain bike trails which are in okay shape but could use some TLC. There are rental cabins and the store is limited to souvenir type merchandise and disc’s.

The staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. You have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

There is Disc golf, fishing, and currently limited water sports.We used the multipurpose room and a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby with Elvis’s birthplace. In addition there are several recreation areas to visit on the Natchez Trace with historical information and trails to explore.

Where’s the lake ?

Ranger review: RoM Outdoors RoM Pack at Trace State Park, Tupelo, Mississippi

Campground Review: I took the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway from Tennessee down into Mississippi and exited near Tupelo to continue into Trace State Park for a camping event I was attending over the weekend. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The park itself needs some work. Recent cuts from the state have left the park in need of road work and the levy repair is taking a while to complete according to locals. Where we camped the lake was dry and full of weeds. You could tell by the shoreline that it would be possible to anchor your water craft very near your campsite in several locations once it is refilled with water.

That being said the staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. The spacing between sites is good too, you have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

Disc golf, multi-use trails, fishing, currently limited water sports.

After set up our group met in the multipurpose room and then congregated to a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby and I visited Elvis’s birthplace , “Scarlet’s Donuts”(maple bacon donuts, and tamales) and an excellent BBQ place “Clays House of Pig”. So if you like to sneak to town while camping this is a nice area for it. There are thrift and antique stores close too.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I recently received a RoM Outdoors  RoM Pack https://romoutdoors.com/ to use , abuse and review while camping. I explored one of the three main trails in Trace SP. The trails are multi-use (ie. ATV, Horse, Dirt bike, Hikers) so pay attention to the signs and be aware of the area. We hiked 4.5 miles. The first thing you will notice about the RoMPack is that it has some weight to it (4.6 lbs)even empty. This is due to the outer water resistant material and the inner, soft, insulated material. There are two detachable bags, and a smaller inner pack to carry them in when you remove them to transform your pack into……a hooded poncho or ground cover , cool idea!

So obviously this is not an overnight type backpack or something a fast packer would use. It is however a versatile option for day hikes, visits to the park or sporting events and I used it to pack my Dachshund when he was done hiking ;)

I haven’t attempted to attach a hydration bladder and decided to just place my entire hydration pack into the main area of the RoM Pack. This works in two ways. First if I don’t need the poncho/blanket I have my hydration in easy reach. Second if I do use the poncho/blanket my hydration pack fits fine under the inner pack on my back with poncho over that.

Definitely practice folding and unfolding the poncho/blanket . I had my usual dysfunction , just like with the hiking maps, I got it unfolded and user ready but then had issues putting it back into its original folded configuration. I eventually got it back together. There is a video on their site to make it easier. Just remember it will get faster with muscle memory over time.

Once again this is not a pack I would use for extended deep woods adventures. It’s great for your day hikes with the kids, concert in the park or hike into a picnic spot, would work for hunting too.

Pro’s: All in one (ie, carry pack, two secure bags, blanket/poncho, inner pack, Molle straps to add other accessories)

Water resistant outer shell

Soft warm inner lining

Durable material

Well made

Con’s: Heavy

Limited packing space( the large middle pocket is gone when you unfold it)

Not for overnight/deep woods(technically not a con, not the concept of the bag)

This will be my go to bag when adventuring with my grandkids. I would/will suggest this pack to friends with specific uses in mind. There are currently three color options and several other products to explore on the ROM Outdoors site

Peaceful and secluded

Great pad sites for RV Trailer, very private well laid out the restrooms are very clean. Reasonable cost and if you have an America the Beautiful card site is 50% off. Very little Verizon Signal if any at times. Really out of the way about 30 minutes from NTP and about 40 minutes from Tupelo.

Nice little park on the Trace

Stopped here for a night traveling through Mississippi. It is a little out of the way, but quiet. You drive down the Natches trace to get here. The sites were large enough to relax, and the neighbors were not right on top of us. Bathroom was ok, but the shower was not working when we were there. Close to Tupelo if you like Elvis.

Peaceful with a water view

Quiet, well maintained Corp of Engineers camp ground.

Good family campground

Many of the sites are shaded and face the river. This water flow is after the dam, so has a very strong current. Definitely not for swimming, but an okay view. Playgrounds available for the kids.

Well-kept campground with lots of good sites

We were we were there midweek, so had lots of available sites. Many of the sites have lots of room and are spaced away from their neighbors. Ranger was very nice and helpful. We chose the loop that overlooked the small lake.

Good views, launch and 2 swimming areas

Part of the day use area has been converted into a campground in 2018. There are eight campsites, each with a level gravel pad tent area, picnic table and grill. There is group fire pit area, with a picnic table. Unfortunately, the only place to have a fire at your campsite is in the grill. None of the sites have electricity. There is a central water spigot. The restroom has flush toilets, but no showers. You can go to one of the other many Corps of Engineers campgrounds nearby to shower. Both times we have stayed here, we were the only ones there. It's so new, almost no one knows of its existence. To either side of it, there is a swimming area in the day use area and at the boat launch / swimming beach. All sites have a water view.

Nice campground!

Really nice campground on Bay Springs Lake. The majority of the sites have some view of water and the lakefront sites are plentiful. Sites 55-81 are not close to the water and have less shade. However, they are first come first serve instead of reservations. We stayed on site 124 and really liked that loop. Bathrooms are clean, but no AC, so they are a little muggy. I would recommend avoiding sites that back up to the basketball courts unless you have younger kids and are fine with the noise level. They appear to have upgraded the sites recently with fresh gravel and concrete borders, so that was very nice! . The lake is nice and clean with tons of coves. Lots of people using their kayaks as well as fishing boats and pontoons. It was neat to watch the barges go by. Next trip i want to watch one go through the locks! . Amenities: Fire pits, picnic tables, lantern post, grills, Bathrooms w/showers, laundry facility, multiple playgrounds and basketball courts, boat ramp, fish cleaning station, fishing pier, volleyball court, amphitheater, swim beach (seasonal).

Nice and Peaceful

We spent an afternoon here exploring and checking into the campground for future stays. It’s an older, rustic campground and the age shows. However, if you are looking for a peaceful, private campground, this is it. The bathrooms are old, but clean. I’m leery of old bathrooms, but I can make this one work. The lake is great for fishing and has two piers to use, plus a small boat launch. there is no swimming in this lake. Rumor has it that there is Walleye fish in this lake! Looking forward to staying here in a couple of weeks to see if we can catch one!

Other activities include frisbee golf, hiking trail, two playgrounds, volleyball and a large day use area.

Super Clean & Wonderful views

Almost all spots in this campground offer views of Enid Lake. Lots of tall trees with brush cleared out, so you don't loose the view. The bath house is always super clean, stocked with supplies and has heat & ac. Huge plus for us as we do not have a bathroom in our Aliner! There is plenty to do here! During our stay, we bank fished, walked the paved walking trail and our son took advantage of the upgraded playground and basketball court. Lots of wildlife to observe. I've never seen more deer, especially close up, in my life!

Near the campground is the popular Catfish Hut. If you want to grab a bite to eat, be prepared to wait as this place is always busy. They take call in orders, so that is what I would recommend if you are just wanting to get take out. Also, on the other side of the dam just past the swim beach is the local bait shop/gas station. They have a little bit of everything in case you forget something. They sell local firewood for those that want bigger logs for a campfire. Also, they have hot sausage & biscuits in the morning and Pizza later in the day.

Just beautiful

This is one of the favorites of all the places we have stayed. It was beautiful and so clean. The hosts were friendly. We had an issue with the electric hookup and they had maintenance workers to is within 20 minutes. The facilities and trails are very well maintained and the sites are well spaces enough that you can have some quiet and privacy. ** PLEASE NOTE: The lake has been drained due to levee issues and some rebuild of the levee and dam. It will be empty for the foreseeable future so there is no water here. That info was not made clear when we made the reservation. ** We still enjoyed our short stay here.