Yurts
About Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Chewalla Lake Recreation Area is located in the Holly Springs Ranger District in northern Mississippi. Visitors enjoy swimming and relaxing on the sandy beach on the lake shore, as well as canoeing, kayaking and fishing.

Recreation

Chewalla Lake covers 260 acres and is a no-wake lake, making it a perfect location for swimming, canoeing and kayaking. Anglers enjoy fishing for smallmouth bass, bream, crappie and catfish. A boat ramp is located on-site.

Facilities

The campground offers 19 sites for tent and RV camping. Each site is equipped with a picnic table and campfire ring. Some sites have electric and water hookups. Flush toilets, showers and drinking water are provided. During the season the campground is open 24 hours and does not close on the major holidays, i.e. Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day, allowing families and friends to celebrate together. Don't fret if you happen to arrive later in the day or evening for your reservation we will leave a note up on the site showing that its reserved.

Natural Features

The lake is surrounded by a dense forest of pine and hardwoods, such as sweet gum and oak. Many dogwoods are scattered throughout the campground, creating a beautiful, blooming display in the springtime.

The campground lies on land once used heavily for farming. Erosion has caused deep gullies to form throughout the area, but split-rail fences line the gullies, adding character to the facility.

Nearby Attractions

Holly Springs is 8.5 miles northwest of the lake. This charming town is known as the Antebellum Capitol of the mid-south. More than 200 buildings in town are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A variety of dining and shopping options are available, as well as grocery stores and gas stations.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Fee Info
Shelter GS1 costs: $40 if less than 50 people. $80 if more than 50 people. Each vehicle using the rented pavilion is required to pay the day use fee of $5, this includes the renter of the pavilion.
Price
$7.00 - $40.00
National Forest
Chewalla Lake Recreation Area is located in Mississippi
Directions
In Holly Springs, Mississippi at the intersection of State Routes 4 and 7, take Route 4 east 1.4 miles to the Chewalla Lake sign. At the sign, bear right and go 5.7 miles to the Chewalla Lake Recreation Area sign (Forest Route 611/Chewalla Lake Road). Turn left at the sign and go 1.3 miles to the campground. Physical address is 726 Chewalla Lake Rd, Holly Springs MS, 38659.
8 Reviews of Chewalla Lake Recreation Area
OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Not my kind of campground

First, it was impossible to find it. Took about two hours. My gps had me get off highway at wrong exit and then I didn’t know which intersection of 7 and 4 the campground was at. There are two. The area is really pretty, but I didn’t stay the night and just gave up my reservation. There was a sign out front saying that payment was required in the folder at the front but I payed online. That already confused me. No gate, no person at the front. Didn’t seem like the safest area to me either. I was driving trying to find my campsite and then I started itching. A mosquito had gotten in in that 30 seconds I had the window down. Campsite was basically dirt with gullies on the side so it was hard to back out. Trash all near table and fire pit. Swarms of bugs were already attacking my car before I could even stop. I didn’t even walk in the bathrooms to see what they were like. Might be good for day use because the trails looked nice from the road.

Nice, quiet campground

Campground was great and had hot showers free to both primitive site($7) and hookup site ($20) campers. The lake was gorgeous with a winding, unpaved bike trail that was really fun on mountain bikes! We didn’t try, but I bet fishing would be great here.

The only problem we had was the trash leftover by the previous campers. The fire pit was full of half-burnt garbage. Pick up after yourselves people!

Overall very quiet, peaceful Thursday night.

Isolated

This is a beautiful area in the woods next to a lake. Has electric and water, no sewer. Bathrooms are not kept up, dirty and no lights in the showers. Pretty isolated, very few campers here. This could be a wonderful camping area, bathrooms need improvement!!

Quiet and clean

Chewalla Campground has a lake for fishing and a beach area. Very quiet and roomy during the week. Didn't spend any time during weekend. Looking forward to spending going back and spending several days.

Deep in Holly Springs National Forest

This is a great little camp within the national forest.

Yay: trails are all simple and pretty and include woods, waterfront, boardwalks, etc. The campground is simple but nice and a step above absolutely basic. Nice cheap fees. One of the loops is on a little hill and has better privacy but I don’t recommend it for RVs due to the hill. There is a swimming beach.

Nay: no complaints. FYI there is no attendant but rangers do come through periodically.

Surprise: adorable little bridge to an island!