Annapolis, MARYLAND

Most Recent Annapolis Camping Reviews
Small but nice

Weekend was cold but the park was pretty full. This is close to us so it was an easy trip. Full hookup but we’re told to turn off and unhook water the night it dropped below freezing. They do fill up propane but there’s a Tractor Supply about 20min away that will also fill them. Bathhouse available but I didn’t use it. Pool was closed but looked nice. There was a fenced dog area and play set. The sites are close but there were all sizes of RVs there, even large class A. Many sites are on the water. No swimming in the Bush River but you can fish from the pier or right from your site. There appeared to be a boat dock as well. I read they had a couple bungalows to rent too. Fire pit was nice and situated near the water. Picnic tables at each site. It’s a gated park and nestled at the back of a quiet neighborhood. I didn’t take many pics this time. It was all about relaxing and we never left the campground. It’s located about 40 min. from Baltimore Harbor, Ravens and Orioles stadiums. Bel Air is 20 min. away and has several restaurants. Walmart is 10-15 min. away. There is a grocery store, beer store, Walgreens, and a couple restaurants just 5-10 min. away and a 7-11 at the neighborhood entrance. It seems like a great overnight as you’re passing through the area. It’s 5 min. from Interstate 95.

A Crime of Opportunity

If this campground is convenient - and given that it's open through October and <60 minutes from DC it might well be - this campground is good to go. But without that convenience factor I would not rate this site as worth visiting.

The loop is very small, with all the sites pretty close together. The forest behind the site was sparse, enough so that it was hard to find fuel for the fire and we were basically part of the youth group activities happening. From 8am to 4pm I learned A LOT about what number to dial in case of emergency.

The site itself was very small - difficult to get 2 cars and two tents in - and the fire ring was smaller as well. Though it was cleaner than the average state park site.

We stayed in site 21, which was fine enough except for its proximity to the nearest pavilion and all the small children screaming "stop drop and roll" at the top of their lungs.

But at the end of the day it was $20 (with a $6 booking fee) and for better or worse we never interacted with a single park ranger or camp host. The upside is we could do what we wanted, the downside is there wasn't a sense of community, or regulation.

I'll say I have never been to a site where the firewood is padlocked, and you have to call someone to come unlock it so you can buy firewood. In fact I'm downgrading the review from 3 stars to 2 as I write this - there really weren't many positives about this campground other than that camping is a terrific hobby.

Stay here to explore DC!

The best park in the DC area! Very nice grounds, clean, and amenities galore! The staff are nice here. They have so much going on! Plan and reserve you DC tours right at the campground. No need to drive anywhere, the tour buses pick you up at the park! Pool, playgrounds, game room, camp store, pavilions, everything!

Great place for easy camping

The campsite was very convenient. The fire pit had an attached grill for easy cooking if you do not have a grill yourself. Each site is tamped down with sand for your tents to rest on and can fit a single car comfortably. The only thing that might not be great for some is that you are rather close to other sites. This wasn’t a bother for us. There was a water sticker for cleaning and boiling as well as an honor system firewood shed. Nearby is a small lake where you can rent canoes. Would return!

Access to DC

My husband loves to go DC and we recently purchased a travel trailer. This campground was the best of both worlds. It was close to a metro stop, so we were able to hope on there and head into DC. Since we stayed in October and temperatures were getting cooler, we only played putt-putt and it was very well kept and the tiny cost ($1.00) to play goes to a great cause. The shower houses were clean and the other facilities were in great condition, with what we saw when we walked around. We had an enjoyable stay and would consider coming back when it’s a bit warmer and when we have more time to experience more at the campground itself.

Close to DC

Lots af amenities, and very clean. A lady with the staff, gives visitors a lengthy orientation to Washington, tours, restaurants, Metrorail, parking, museums, and monuments. Metrorail is about 6 miles from campground, near University of Maryland.

Awesome

I went to Elk Neck at the end of September. This place was super clean, really nice sites, and the trails were awesome. I would absolutely go back. I only gave it 4 stars because I was only there for 2 days and wasn’t able to experience everything.

Quaint park

Very nice camping areas. Nice trails, water sports available, and historic landmarks

Not what I’m use too

This campground is mostly seasonal campers that keep to themselves. Not much for the kids, they do have a pool and small playground. There is a nice pier and boat ramp. Bathrooms by the pool are nice and clean did not check the second bathhouse but was told you needed a code to access it. No cable or internet and cell service for att, sprint, and T-Mobile was spotty. I can’t say anything bad about the place other then there is nothing to do or activities for the kids but if you would like to get away from it all and do a little fishing this is the place. You have to drive at least 20 minutes to find food and things to do.

Terrible

The most crowded uncomfortable campsites I have ever seen.

Beautiful Camping Location

This campground is very family friendly. We saw so many children running around having a great time! They have fairly many camp sites with an amazing view. Unfortunately we did not reserve our site in time to get one of the better ones. We still could see the water but not right water front. We enjoyed hiking the Beaver Marsh Trail. From our campsite we had to drive to a trail head but there were a few sights that had direct access. Also the lighthouse trail is a must. It is about a five minute drive to get to the trail though, but is worth it! The camp host were very friendly and were actually in charge of keeping the bathrooms clean (which they did excellent at)! The bathrooms were nothing fancy but I was impressed with the cleanness. I would definitely recommend giving this campground a try!

Friendly staff, great facilities, nice park!

I camped here for just 1 night during a work trip, and was pleasantly surprised with how nice it all was. I was a walk-up with no reservation and since it was a weekday the ranger gave me a great rundown of the best spots in the camp and let me drive through to check them out before going back with my decision! I chose site 26 I believe, it was very private from neighbors and the road, surrounded by beautiful mature trees, and just the right distance from the restrooms.

Restrooms were fairly clean, had flush toilets, electricity, and hot running water showers!! Since I had to look presentable for work the next day I had sent planned on doing much hiking (hot and humid June) but with the revelation of showers!!! I went for a lovely 3 mile evening hike on the trail just down the hill behind the campsite. Scared a bunch of deer (ok they scared me!!) and checked out the giant old growth trees, hiked over a bridge and stream which was full of fish I could see! Turned around after I got to the Susquehanna itself. The river was running pretty high and fast, pretty cool to see.

Overall, cool spot! Will stay again!!

Pretty park, but noisy and dated

Site Details: We stayed on site#19 in Loop B(the electric loop). Our site was large, very level, and surrounded by pine and hardwood trees. All sites in this loop were fairly spread out, with ample tree separation between each one. I don’t think there was a bad site in the loop.

Facilities/Overall Park: The loop had a wonderful, heated bath house which was centrally located and a very short walk from our site. It looked to be recently built(or renovated), and was impeccably clean with very nice-looking showers(which we didn’t use this time). However, there were only 3 stalls and 2 showers, so I imagine the lines could get pretty long during peak season. There was also a nice outdoor dishwashing sink on the exterior of the bath house.

The park itself is rather small, but very pretty and(mostly) peaceful. It’s set on the Choptank River and Watts Creek, with a great amphitheatre and walking trails with beautiful water views. There is also a nature center(which was closed for the season), as well as several pavilions and playgrounds scattered throughout the park. The pavilions were in definite need of a facelift, and the playgrounds were older but decent.

While the park was very quiet and enjoyable during the day, unfortunately I couldn’t say the same for nighttime and early morning. The first night, we were awoken several times by the very loud firehouse siren from the neighboring town of Denton. It sounded like one of those older air raid-type sirens, with a really loud, jarring windup. My husband looked it up the next day, and discovered that Denton does in fact use that old fashioned alarm system to signal any type of emergency. In addition, we heard very loud gunshots from nearby goose hunters right at sunrise. So, you may luck out if you camp outside of hunting season and there are no overnight emergencies during your stay.:)

Martinak is a sister park to the larger Tuckahoe State Park(about 10-15 minutes down the road), and the two parks share and co-host many events between both facilities, mostly during peak season. Upon check-in, the(extremely friendly) rangers handed us a map and calendar of events for both parks.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: The small town of Denton is about 5 minutes outside the park, with a Walmart, a few chain and standalone restaurants, plenty of gas stations, and most modern conveniences. St. Michael’s, a very quaint and popular tourist destination, is about 45 minutes away.

Overall, while this a very pretty park with nicely wooded and spaced-out sites, we prefer the neighboring Tuckahoe SP for its slightly better trails, nicer day-use area with newer playground, and(most importantly) lack of midnight sirens.

No Security

When a bunch of high schoolers decide to party till 3AM, there's no one to call. Your only option is to call 911, but it's not technically an emergency so you have to call the the non-emergency number and leave a message.

Then, at 6AM the walking groups start on the trail, so be prepared to listen to their shitty music.

Pretty cool for so close to DC

Saw a snake, alligator snapping turtle, and rabbits, before we even reached the gates. Moderate privacy and space, especially considering how close it is to DC. There are some abandon camp loops around the open campground which makes for some cool walks with your dog. Very pretty area with lots of trails and overgrown roads to walk. Equestrian trails go deep into the woods if you want a longer trail. Bathrooms don’t look like much from the outside, but the inside is very nice. Clean, hot water, and good water pressure. The have a new dump station, but the hose has an anti-freeze up in the air with a pull cord valve. This means every time you pull to turn the water on, you get a shower. It was hot, so it was OK. Hahaha. They sell firewood, but they were huge pieces and getting them to start burning was tough. LOTS and LOTS of ticks. I got one, but my wife and dog got about a dozen each. Just bring tweezers. Each site had picnic table, fire ring, and pretty level parking spot.

Great little fishing pond !

Caught some really great fish here while camping . Canoeing is great . Very clean amenities

Very nice state park

Very clean . Great amenities! On the water. You can rent canoes . Sites do not have sewer but does have dump. Great park that offers alot!

Nice Campground, Convenient for a Visit to D.C.

Very clean campground with plenty to do on site such as pools, mini golf, and playground. Camp store was well stocked and the staff was friendly and helpful.  Can purchase metro cards at the campground and take a bus from the campground to the metro station that will drop you right at the National Archives (or anywhere else on the line).  Would highly recommend this campground, especially if your going to visit Washington.

Lovely campground, nice hiking with kids

We spent several nights here with kids aged 5-12 and will definitely come back. We live in Montgomery County and this is a nice camping get away close to home. We stayed in Loop E, where the majority of the campsites were set back a bit off the road, well spaced, and nicely shaded. We took a couple of walks through Loop A, and this seemed to be the case for those sites as well. We were a group of 5 and used 2 4-person tents. The tent sites all have a tent pad (great drainage during a downpour!) but the tent pad isn’t big enough for two tents. So beware if you intend to use two tents that most, but not all, of the tent sites seem to have a patch of level ground where a 2nd tent can be pitched. On Saturday there were fun activities for the kids all day (pedal cars, crafts, water balloon baseball, laser tag, to name a few from memory), with some activities also on Friday evening and Sunday morning. A fee is charged for some of these (laser tag and craft supplies) but most are free. There is a small arcade-style game room (with free wifi in the building) where we passed a rainy morning. Air hockey, table soccer, and a small basketball game could be played for free, but pool and the video games required $.25-1.00 per game. We used perhaps 5 miles in total of the hiking trails, doing loops down to the creek and back. They were all manageable for a 5-year old and the kids enjoyed playing in the stream in warm weather. We did see poison ivy at the edges of some trails. There is some distant ambient noise from 270 and overhead air traffic, but nothing too bad. If coming with kids, I would recommend bringing a playground ball and/or basketball so you can use the gaga pit or basketball courts even when no games are organized by camp staff. Also note that there was no ice in the camp store for the duration of our stay, but ice can be bought at the Liberty gas station and the small Clarksburg Grocery, both about a mile from the campground.

One of our favorite

Nice large sites with friendly staff. Lots of free activities for children and it’s close to home

Well run, Well Maintained

Good range of options, ranging from Virgin Woods, to primitive sites, to cabins. Great staff.

Good time

Was great not to have to really worry about anything because you are securely on post. I forgot all about revielle 🤣. They reminded me

Great little spot close to dc, waterfront

Had a great time here with my 3 year old daughter. I would give it 5 stars if it had a camp store. Bring fire wood and all other essentials.

Love it so far

We are staying here now and enjoying our time. It’s true glamping with yurts, cabins, multiple pools, a hot tub and mini golf. We are staying in the cabin sides and enjoying it.

Breathtaking

Rv sites are huge and private, not on top of one another. Beach, boat ramp, hike to the lighthouse with incredible views of the 2 rivers and bay. If you boat and camp, it's perfect. Nature center, great store, clean, well maintained and staffed for a state park. Nice beach. So much to do. They do have a no alcohol policy unless you are inside a cabin or RV, but unless you get stupid, no one bothers you. Can't wait to go back.

A little crowded

Good campground, has a couple residents that keep watch. Can get a little crowded on weekends. Each has a fire pit, and there is a store on site that sells general campground supplies (fire starter, hot dogs, band aids). Has a great walking trail to an awesome lighthouse that overlooks the Chesapeake Bay.

Great park ; quiet

Really enjoyed this campground. Quiet; campsites weren’t on top of each other; had your own space. Hot water was out while we were there so showers were a bit cold but it’s summer/hot so it wasn’t really a problem. Lots of things to do near by and so close to the water.

Good for kids

Nice spot with plenty to do with a little one. Train, carousel, fishing.

Very nice staff and clean facilities. Water park is great.

Cool, Family oriented

Well maintained

Nice hiking & fishing areas around with gorges views

Not recommend for big loud groups.