About Susquehanna State Park
Hike In
Susquehanna State Park is located in Maryland
10 Reviews of Susquehanna State Park
Friendly staff, great facilities, nice park!

I camped here for just 1 night during a work trip, and was pleasantly surprised with how nice it all was. I was a walk-up with no reservation and since it was a weekday the ranger gave me a great rundown of the best spots in the camp and let me drive through to check them out before going back with my decision! I chose site 26 I believe, it was very private from neighbors and the road, surrounded by beautiful mature trees, and just the right distance from the restrooms.

Restrooms were fairly clean, had flush toilets, electricity, and hot running water showers!! Since I had to look presentable for work the next day I had sent planned on doing much hiking (hot and humid June) but with the revelation of showers!!! I went for a lovely 3 mile evening hike on the trail just down the hill behind the campsite. Scared a bunch of deer (ok they scared me!!) and checked out the giant old growth trees, hiked over a bridge and stream which was full of fish I could see! Turned around after I got to the Susquehanna itself. The river was running pretty high and fast, pretty cool to see.

Overall, cool spot! Will stay again!!

Awesome

Went here on a whim. TOTALLY worth it. Close to I-95, scenic, well maintained and quiet. Kids, wife and I had fun hiking to a really old tree in the area (I dont remember the name, but it was really cool). Will definately be going back.

Beautiful andhidden

Bautiful suprise…quiet and enchanted

Excellent state park camping experience

This is a great campground in Susquehanna State Park. The campsites are separated more widely than many other parks in Maryland (Cunningham Falls, Ft. Frederick, Pt. Lookout), and are quite secluded in comparison. The sites are generally well shaded, and the campground abuts a nice forested area which is great for hiking. It's also a short drive from the Susquehanna River, so fishing is a potential as well. It has the usual state park amenities; water faucets, trash dumpsters, picnic tables & fire rings. All you need for decadent car camping. :-) I thoroughly enjoyed visiting, and would go back in a heartbeat! Unfortunately my main camping buddy now lives in VA, so it's a bit much of a drive for him for a weekend.

Peaceful Camping

Went camping here for three days in july of 2017. Stayed in Acorn loop. Bathhouse was clean and never full although we were there during the middle of the summer. The park rangers never bothered us and we had a lot of privacy even though our campsite was connected to another campsite.Not much to do at this park except hike for miles. We visited a near by town one of the days as well!

Enjoyable & Shaded

We camped here for a somewhat rainy Memorial Day weekend. Despite the rain, we enjoyed ourselves and even did a hike. There are some great sites that are a little more isolated and give a feel of being alone in the woods that I would love to claim in the future. The bathroom was okay but ran out of toilet paper, so be sure to bring your own! I never use camp stores since they are over priced, so I didn't notice. The wood was helpful and ice wasn't too bad.

Quaint little park

Great place. Have camped here twice now. Nice playground for the kids and plenty of park events to keep you busy. Took a nice hike out to the susquehanna and spent a few hours fishing in the pond. Lots of wildlife.

Great Family Camping!

This was our first visit to Susquehanna State Park. It was a popular weekend in mid-september, and there were limited sites available. We stayed in site 2 of the Beechnut Loop. I had chosen this site, based on two factors: 1. It was available and 2. It was close to the playground. Unfortunately, it was most likely available because it was overrun with roots and rocks (no pad for the tent)- and you also couldn't see the playground from the site.

That said, I think if we had stayed in a site that had a pad for the tent, I would've given this park 5 stars. I docked a star because I'd say about half- maybe more- don't have pads. I didn't get a chance to check out the Acorn Loop, other than a quick drive by- That is where the cabins are, but it otherwise looked similar.

Another reason for 4 stars over 5- not all of the sites had bath to the bathhouse, and the path that they did have was also very rocky and covered in roots. That said, the bathrooms have clearly been recently renovated and were up-to-date, clean and about as great as you can expect for a campsite. The only nicer ones I've seen where at Rocky Gap State Park.

All told, the campground was fantastic. The campstore is small (like literally the size of a closet) but had some main essentials. They also sell ice and firewood at the campstore AND there is an honor system with it available to you after the campstore hours. This is great so that you don't have to time things around when the campstore is open. The camphost does NOT have firewood available, but the camp store is only a little further down the road.

As I mentioned, we stayed on a busy weekend in September and on Sunday morning, I found that there was no toilet paper in the ladies bathroom. Luckily, some generous camper had some and left a roll for the rest of us. When I went back just two hours later, it was replenished- so I don't know if that was a one-off thing or not.

For kids, the playground was fantastic, though, it was not shaded. It is also in the middle of the Acorn and Beechnut loop. This is great if you want to be away from the playground, as you can book one of the sites further off and not have kids running about. That said, this also leaves limited sites that are close to the playground, for families who would like easy access.

The camp road was minimally hilly and would be safe and easy for little kids to ride their bikes, unlike some of the campgrounds that have pretty decent hills. Many of the sites were at the bottom of a hill though, so I'm not sure how that would do in a decent rain.

We didn't get a chance to do any hiking (because we were lazy campers) but very much enjoyed our weekend stay. We will absolutely be coming back… but we will bring our bikes and book a site with a tent pad!

Susquehanna Campin

We had a great tent site that was large, and fit two families comfortably. A small little path from our site led to the bathrooms/washrooms. We were able to enjoy a bee keeper chat at the small amphitheater near the entrance of the loop. There are a few trails from the campground that you can take to Deer Creek, Susquehanna River or the Rock Run historic area. Driving is possible too if you're unable to hike. The Deer creek was perfect for the kids to swim and play around in. We also saw some folks tubing and kayaking down. The Susquehanna river was a great fishing spot for my husband. And last don't miss out on viewing the Rock Run gristmill which at times you can watch the waterwheel & corn-grinding operating.

Great park; one of our favorites in MD!

Site was very shaded, and probably the most secluded feel of anywhere we’ve camped. Camping pad was nice and level, although the driveway was slightly sloped. One of our bunk ends extended beyond the pad into the woods, which was just fine by me. Nice amount of space in between sites. Short walk to bathhouse, through the woods behind us. There were also several, very private, “walk-up” type sites for tents. Bath house was immaculate; by far the cleanest I have ever seen in a campground. Must have been recently renovated. Deer Creek day-use area was nice; had a big playground and a few pavilions. Picnic area was an open field with very little shade, and the amount of goose poop was unreal; like walking through a minefield. For that reason alone, I don’t think I would host any events there. There is a little fishing pond there, which my husband and daughter enjoyed. We hiked back to the campground from here, which was a nice easy-to-moderate trail. The beginning was pretty rough for me, since I was wearing my infant son while navigating an uphill trail, but it quickly evened out. There are also plenty of areas to stop along the road in the campground, with access to the creek for wading. The water felt great, but the bottom was rather pebbly. There is a historic area in the park, with a working grist mill, mansion and other little buildings to view. Not really my thing, but was pretty neat. The views of the river are really nice from here.