Ashland, MAINE

Most Recent Ashland Camping Reviews
Very nice campground

I enjoyed staying here, the campground was quiet, clean, and the staff and owners were very friendly… I would recommend and will be ack

Basic Camping

Just a basic field that can accommodate tents & big RVs. Big field in the back that my dog loved to run around in. Water & electrical hookups. Next to a big road that you can hear. There is a little bathhouse with toilets & a shower. Also does have a washer/dryer available. We stayed in a camper during September/October so there weren’t many people around.

Basic open campground for RVs and tents

I was in Presque Isle for the annual Crown of Maine balloon festival and for future reference I wanted to check out area campgrounds. If you’re heading into town from the south, you’ll see the campground before you see the sign which is tucked in among the trees. Check in at the back door of the house.

Sites occupy a large field with woods to the right and farmland to the left. Sites are grassy and open and can accommodate both tents and very large RVs. It is by the main road, so you will hear road traffic. If you are in a tent and dependent upon facilities, there is a small bathroom with toilets and shower. They are cramped and dated; there's a small porch on the front and the paint is peeling.

Affordable RV sites near Canadian Border

This is an 8-site city-owned/operated campground best suited for self-contained RVs because the bathrooms are in a different area of the park. Call the Fire Department to make reservations, though on a summer weekend there were still vacancies. Sites are open and grassy with picnic tables and fire pits. There's an additional small parking lot nearby. There are steps down to a picnic area and boat launch on the St John River.

Riverside Park also serves as the eastern terminus of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, running 740 miles between Fort Kent, ME and Old Forge, NH. On land there are miles of walking and ski trails. Fort Kent is home to an original blockhouse from the 1830s-40s Aroostock war over the border of Maine.

Beauty of Eagle Lake

Pillsbury Island has always been a subject brought up whenever my family speaks of the Waterway. As a small kid going camping at the “Jaws” my uncles would often tell stories around the campfire of a group of men who allegedly got abducted by a UFO at this campsite. Although this story proved to be true, at least the part of four men claiming this happened, whether or not the abduction actually took place we may never know. However, I do know that there used to be a deer, about nearly 20 years ago that lived on the island and had a gentle interest in campers or those traveling through. According to Rangers during that time, the deer was named “Bo-zo” and he would literally eat food from the hand of humans. In fact my family has photo evidence of this. Years went by and Bo-zo was not seen again. So what is it with this bizarre Island found right in the center of Eagle Lake and just east of the “Ghost Trains”? Well for one I can say that after making a half day long journey on a canoe with a motor to the trains, we decided to picnic at this campsite and it was beautiful. The waters were calm and shallow, we all decided to take a nice swim after lunch (I know, we didn’t wait 30 minutes). A path that takes you around the island can also be found, a 15-20 minute walk or so if I remember right. So UFO’s and domesticated deer do not bother you, this may be a perfect place to stay!

Hidden Gem

High Bank is often missed by many traveling the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. This single campsite toward the Northwest part of Churchill lake is found directly across the Jaws Campsites. It has very nice privacy especially from the north side, and a rocky “high bank” from the south side. To the eastern side of the campsite is a “beach-like” rock bar that creates a thoroughfare between this campsite and the Jaws. The Jaws, Churchill Dam and this site are the last spots to camp before taking the trek down the Allagash river. Aside from not having a very good area to park your canoe, this campsite is worth staying a night at.

Beautiful park

This was an amazing stay would love to go back

Beautiful family campground

I have stayed here twice and loved it both times. The first time I went as a family the second alone and took in the views of the beautiful trails they had to offer. Everyone is friendly and they offer a clean shower house. Families here hang outside and interact with each other. Would definitely go back

Lovely lake

Great place to spend time on the lake

Nice state park

Stopped for a one night visit. Huge site (most are big). Good space between neighbors. Bathroom/showers are free and spotless. I didn’t have time to hike but there are lots of options. Very quiet, although I was one of two camping parties in the place. Close to town. Very relaxing. Take your own wood. $5 gets you a puny ‘bundle’. Mine was wet.

Small and wonderful

Lovely little campground with campsites, lean tos, and cabins right on the river and near Baxter State Park. My wife and I winter camped here in a lean to in sub zero temperatures two years in a row, and while the owners thought we were nuts for not opting for a cabin they couldn’t have been nicer or more accommodating.

Beautiful and excellent facilities for the the camper who truly loves to ca

This is a beautiful spot. It has excellent canoeing and hiking. The facilities are well maintained and this is camping the way it’s supposed to be.

Isolated Beautiful Campground

We arrived at a group site on the campground and where blown away by the beauty. the grounds are in wife open grasslands on the edge of a forest and ringed by mountains. The campground has canoes available to rent for $1 hr with access to a huge lake via half a mile of various streams. I highly recommend this site just remember to lock up or string up your food. My friend left a bag of chips on the table at night, when we woke up the chips where eaten and a raccoon left us a "present" on the table.

Middle of nowhere beautiful area and some of the best day hiking trails

Access is gained by private gravel logging roads leaving Route 161 in St. Francis, or off Route 11 in Portage, Maine. There is a check point when you drive through the logging facility area at the start of the main logging roads. You must check in for arrivals and departure. They will give you a map of the sites and trails. The drive is a good hour on dirt roads from there. Follow the red RRC signs and you will find it no problems.

Sites are all spread out. We stayed at Perch Dam mostly because our tent is 10x12 feet and 6 feet high. Majority of other tent sites have platforms for your tent which are much smaller.

The hiking trails are some of the best I have been on at such a site. They could use some more signs at intersections but with the trail map we got from the checkpoint we were able to figure them out. The view points you can hike up to are beautiful. Two of them, have log benches to sit down at the top and admire the view. Several trails I took had rock stairs and wooden stairs. If you hike to the fire tower from Perch Dam side, its flat all the way up to the mountain, that's where it gets crazy. like going straight up at some parts. Pretty awesome, but pretty hard if you are not in shape. My legs were shaking at the top, I barely had the strength to climb the fire tower lol. I got within like 15 more steps to the top, and I was like nope, going down. Wish I would have kept going, looking back. So don't give up even if your legs are jello!

There are several lakes around. We brought our kayaks, looking for moose. Did not find any, just a lot of tracks, and their poop. While hiking we did find a Pine Martin which was awesome. I never seen one of those in real life before.

There is nothing really within 1.5 hours or so from the camp sites so don't forget anything. There is a General Store in town but if you need certain things or want a big selection you will have to drive another 45 minutes to Walmart. Use google maps and pick one, there's two in different directions. We kinda broke our French Press second day there… had to drive to Walmart for a new one, cannot live without coffee you know. So that was like a 1/2 day trip there and back. Crazy. Rest of the time was great. We basically hiked every day. My husband is a birder so he was trying to get King Fisher pix and whatever else all the time. I did a lot of reading in my hammock.

Only thing that sucked, is the logging. We could hear them working, like a buzzing bee all the time during week days past 10pm at night which was annoying. We kind of wanted to get away from everything and everyone. Other than that, this place is pretty awesome. Check out their website. Enjoy.

quiet,spacious,access to best parts of park!

leantos are the way to go,august no bugs.my daughter (now 11 yrs old) have been going there for 8 years-very kid friendly.traveller loop much more intense than baxter peak-more above tree line travel. we go there during the perseid meteor shower peak,make some hot chocolate,go out in the canoe,drift around watching the shooting stars-doesn’t get much better….

Perfect for Families

boating, swimming, hiking, surrounded by beauty. the park ranger we had was amazing. my daughter did not want to leave!

nice place

great pond with easy access, nice for day rental of canoe. lean-tos right on water

quiet camping

nice quiet campground in north Baxter State Park.

Camping in the County!

We love to camp in State Parks, and the North East has plenty of them to try. For many years, I have looked at a spot on my Maine map called Aroostook State Park, way up north near the great city of Presque Isle. On the spur of the moment, our well travelled group decided to spend the weekend camping in Aroostook County and the great Maine woods!

Nice camp sites

Overall the experience is awesome. Camp grounds are a decent size. Lots of trails hike.

Great basecamp for accessing the new Katahdin Woods and Water National Monument and Baxter State Park

We were interested in kayaking on ponds and streams in the KAWW or Baxter State Park. Since we have a trailer and our buddies have a RV, we new we could not get into South Branch Pond in BSP. We decided to try Shin Pond Village Campground, a privately owned place in Mt. Chase on the way to the northern entrance of BSP.

The campground is right off Route 159, which is now a scenic by way in the KAWW National Monument. Although our sites were close to the road, there was so little traffic it really didn't matter! Sites were flat and open, with decent privacy for a privately owned campground. There was a really good store and a great diner attached to the main office building. Campfire wood was abundant (and for sale by the campground) and each site had a picnic table, fire ring, and fire place to cook on.

The campground is between upper and lower Shin Ponds, with easy boat access to both. We were about 15 miles from the northern entrance of Baxter State Park (BSP), so we chose to travel to South Branch Pond to spend the day kayaking. A great choice as you can see from the pictures.

Outstanding rustic campground in the awesome Baxter State Park!

Small campground with tent sites, a couple of cabins, and several lean-tos. Access to South Branch Pond and the Traveler Mountain Range is unbelievable, with sites right on the edge of the lower pond.

The rangers are very helpful, wood is always available, and the night sky is void of any light pollution. Nearest town is about 1 hour away, so come prepared!