Water Unknown
About Sugar Bay - LBL
National Forest
Sugar Bay - LBL is located in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in Kentucky
5 Reviews of Sugar Bay - LBL
Isolated and Quiet

I loved the absolute isolation and quiet atmosphere that this campsite offers. I saw a few people but they mostly kept to themselves, which was fine with me. I was solo camping and came out to enjoy the solitude. I had a site on the lower side near the lake, I knew there was some rain forecast, but there was a ditch next to my site that I assumed would handle any runoff from the hill above. I was wrong. It rained rather heavily for about 4.5 hours and that little ditch couldn't handle it all. Water flooded under my tent, but the floor held up and the interior stayed dry, but the exterior became caked in mud. The rain also created rather large gouges in the roadways within the campsite, but this seems to be a common occurrence in the gravel roads within the LBL. The gouges in the road leading to the camp were filled in a day or so, so I had no problem driving out.

On the up side, the camp offers views of a myriad of wildlife and great fishing access to the lake. I stayed four days and three nights from Sunday to Wednesday. I imagine that the weekends may draw more of a crowd, but I don't know for sure. But the early part of the week that I was there offered a great chance to truly get away from it all. I was there in late July and other than all the mayflies on the bank, there were hardly any bugs to speak of. Other than the flies attracted to my trash.

Speaking of trash, there is a dumpster on site so there is no need to pack out your litter. The portapot was spotless, so that was another plus.

I would recommend this site and would definitely come back.

Great camping other than biting flies

It was my 3rd time camping at LBL never had any issues at any of the other campgrounds at LBL. But this time was different it’s a beautiful campsite on the lake so it’s everything you should want for camping even close to a bathroom. But there was so many biting flies. Literally drawing blood so my kids and family hated it my niece literally went home with bite marks all over her legs. I made sure to spray the bug spray although even that barely stopped them great at night though lol.

Boat ramp and a few sites

Pretty little spot with a solid boatramp. Not too far from 68/80, but far enough that it's used a little less.

Call of the wild

Ranger Review: Renogy Backpack at Sugar Bay dispersed campground(dc), Land Between The Lakes(LBL), Ky

Campground Review: Sugar Bay dc is cement picnic tables and fire rings strategically placed throughout the woods adjacent a boat ramp at the end of forest road(FR)140.

There is a porta-john near the lake level sites and a pit toilet near the hill side sites. You can also set up camp in several mowed areas in the same area as long as you have your annual dispersed permit ($30 a year).

No frills camping at its best to include a few locals who look like they live in them there woods ;)

1st night we were there, after we had been asleep for about an hour the local coyotes announced their presence with a rather loud and nearby chorus of howls. Which was then answered on the far side of our campsite by more coyotes. Needless to say the dogs were quite vocal in their reply. We could hear (between dog barks) the pack moving on the hillside above us. I kept a careful eye on the smaller dogs when we went out to pee during the night. The following nights as the campsite filled with other campers we did not hear the coyotes again.

The LBL North/South trail meanders through the area and can easily be found off the side of FR140 about 1/4 mile up from the dc. The trail crosses the gravel road and currently is detoured from it’s original route. The N/S Trail runs the length of LBL from Kuttawa, Ky area to the South end near Dover, Tn. It would be a good practice trail for through hikers.

Also in the area is the Turkey Bay OHV Area and the Wranglers Campground. An off-road vehicle and horseback riders idea of a fun place to spend the weekend. Both with campgrounds and inclusive trails.

And of course there are the water sports on the lake. Another nice feature in the Sugar Bay dc is the ability to anchor your watercraft right next to your campsite after you put in at the boat ramp.

Golden Pond visitors center offers planetarium programs and there is an Elk and Bison observation area along the Trace which runs the length of LBL.

Cadiz, Ky is about a 15 mile drive down 68/80 if you want a taste of the local cuisine and Kentucky small town flavor. Ferrell’s Famous Burgers and Antiques are a few of the attractions.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I am given the opportunity to review products while camping. The Renogy Backpack https://www.renogy.com/I received is an innovative take on solar power collection.

The main attraction being the solar panel which is attached via zipper to the front of the pack. HOLD ON though , this solar panel can be zipped completely off, flipped over, and zipped back on. Effectively protecting it and giving you access to another small front pocket.

So that being said….

PROS: 1. It’s a solar panel w/USB port for electronic charging

2. It has plenty of pockets for your electronics

3. The solar panel is detachable and when detached it still has a zipper compartment that can hold your electronics

CONS: 1. The backpack is more Urban jungle then Outdoor enthusiasts designed

2. As with any solar unit direct sunlight is the optimal charging environment….not always conducive for electronics, a power charger makes more sense.

3. That’s all I got right now

This would not be a Backpack I pack up and run into the woods with , that being said I would pack it up and run all over town and college with it and will.

Sugar Bay - LBL

Quite a ways off the beaten path of the Trace on the Lake Barkley side of LBL, Sugar Bay seems to be popular among military Families for day use as well as for camping. Campsites are well marked, packed gravel, with no electric or water (there is also no cell signal - almost anywhere in LBL- which may be what makes Sugar Bay so popular for unplugging)! Campsites are best for tents or hammocks, as the roads through the campsites are gravel and can be somewhat hilly. I have not seen any RVs back in Sugar Bay. This is also a mecca for Families for walk up fishing, kayaking, and small water sport activities. Campsites are on the hilly area away from the ramp and shore line. Back country camping permit required.