Add Review
About Eureka

Eureka Campground sits on Lake Barkley among wooded rolling hills and abundant wildlife. Fishing is a well-loved sport here; Kentucky's largest yellow bass was caught in these waters, and anglers flock with hopes of breaking the record.

Recreation

Hikers and bikers are fans of the 2.5 mile Chestnut Oaks Trail that starts here. Other activities include boating, fishing and swimming.

Facilities

The campground offers 26 sites with water and electric hookups. Additional amenities include hot showers, playground, boat ramp and swimming area. A picnic shelter is available for groups up to 100 guests. Electric hookups are available.

Natural Features

Lake Barkley, the western-most lake on the Cumberland River is connected by a canal to Kentucky Lake, forming one of the nation's greatest freshwater recreation complexes. Between the two lakes is Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, featuring miles of hiking trails and opportunities for off-road vehicle riding.

Nearby Attractions

Visit Fort Donelson National Battlefield, where the Union Army won their first battle of the Civil War. Another great destination in the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, with more than 170,000 acres of public land to explore.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$18.00 - $35.00
US Army Corps of Engineers
Eureka is located in Kentucky
Directions
From Nashville, Tennessee take I-24 West to Exit 40. Turn left onto Highway 62 West for 2.9 miles then turn left onto Highway 810. Go 0.7 miles then turn right onto State Route 1271. Continue onto 1271 for 1.8 miles. The road leads directly into the campground.
3 Reviews of Eureka
First come first served NOT TRUE

Having watched this campground for days as we traveled west from WV, we saw empty sites daily that said first come, first served. We couldn’t book them because they are booked as campers arrive at the last minute. We could see that 3, then 2, then 1 campsites were left as we approached. The attendant, Susanne, told me that she couldn’t let me have the site because someone else was “on the way”. I told her that it is a gov’t campground, and it is supposed to be booked to whomever arrives to claim it first. I had followed the regulations to book the site and she was supposed to rent the site to me. It didn’t happen. She went on to chuckle snuggly when I said there were other campgrounds in the area and that I might yet find something. It is days before July 4. She said NOTHING is available, I should have booked ahead. As we left, I checked another federal site, just 11 miles away. They had vacancies. Rather than lose the vacancy, we drove 2 miles back to Eureka and had Susanne check to see if the site was, in fact, available, and to “hold” it for us, as she had done for the site we came to claim. This woman just told me there was NOTHING available, without even checking the closest campground!!!

Right on the lake!

Small 24 site campground with beautiful views. All but 5 are right on the lake. The small designated swimming area is convenient but the water was so high that there wasnt any sand. The bathrooms and showers are ok. The Chestnut trail that we read about in all the online info was overgrown and mossy. Because of the location, we would camp here again.

Near Land Between the Lakes

This is a small recreational area with swimming, a boat ramp, simple amenities at the campground. Eureka park/campground is right across the river/lake from the very large Land Between the Lakes park. There is camping in Land Between the Lakes itself, but Eureka provides easy access (there’s no fee to enter the park so staying offsite isn’t a disadvantage). Land Between the Lakes is an amazing park for any kind of recreation, from boating, swimming, and hiking to a working farm, nature center, Civil War history, even a planetarium.

Yay: The campground is right on the water, with the majority of the sites right on the water (and many facing west for sunset views). The campground is wooded, all the sites are large, but some sites don’t have much tree privacy. Shower house and the swimming beach were fine. There is a short hiking trail. There are a few boat ramps, one is very close to the camping area.

Nay: None.

Surprise: You can leave Eureka by boat and dock at Land Between the Lakes for a great trip. Great wildlife here.