Michael J Kirwan Lake, KANSAS

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Michael J Kirwan Lake Camping Reviews
Trail running and romantic sunsets

The main trail is composed of a gravel camping road that encircles the man made lake. The road is bike and vehicle friendly, though it seems only park vehicles are allowed. Several trails offshoot from this main road, each is marked for either hiking (trail running), mountain biking, or camping. Theres several large camping sites, and both the bike and hike routes seem to be loops that end back at the starting offshoot on the main road. None of the hikes are very difficult, most are easy/moderate and support running. They are very easy for hiking. Some bike routes are more difficult. Half are in woods with trees as low as 5ft over the trail, the other half go through open fields. Since there are many different routes to take, its easy to increase or decrease the distance. I had no trouble clearing four miles by running out, doing a trail (full loop) and running back. The loops aren't always possible to cut, so keep in mind that its sometimes hard to tell how far along a loop you are. Note that few of these trails have views of the lake; only the campgrounds, bench sites, and main trail/road are unobstructed to the water. There are several beautiful views of the small damn and the broken sections that create a little waterfall. The sunset in particular was really peaceful and easy to watch from the benches (perfect for a romantic picnic).

Ok for Stopover

Very small campground. No frills here but shower house was clean. We were arriving around 7 pm and no other campground would answer their phones. The owner met us and helped us get into our spots after dark. Close to the highway but it was very quiet.

Very Nice But Noisy

This is a nice campground with pull-through spots, playground, nice washroom/showers. Some spots even have concrete patios with fire pits and grills. A few tiny cabins and a “glamping” tent. The only negative is that the sites are very close together and it is right off I-70 which is very noisy all night long.

Owls nest camping

Small RV park however, it is a nice place. Owners are very nice people.

Wonderful Facilities

Very nice laundry room and bathroom facilities! Standard tent camping site. Nice staff - check out the postcards in the office!

Known For Amenities

This area is unique as a part of the overall parks area.   Providing mostly day use they have used this as overflow upon occasion according to the lake office.   It has vault toilets and not much more for campers however.   There are no clearly marked camping locations as this is only used as overflow and for special event camping.

The area is mainly used as day use and does have some really nice features for that. There are several pavilions and covered areas for shaded picnics and functions.    Additionally there are several volley ball areas spread throughout and maintained well.

There is an older playground near the boat ramp and a much nicer and newer one located closest to the larger parking area and largest pavilion.

The main draw to this area is the swimming beach which is the best of the parks offerings with sandy bars and well maintained grassy areas for shade.   However, due to recent flooding the are is not currently deemed as safe for swimming and now is more of a collection of water foul enjoying the banks casually.

If you are visiting the area this is a location I would definitely check this part of the lake out and give it a shot for day use.   Also check with the lake information center to see if they are hosting special events which allow you to camp and reserve in advance!!

Not open when I visited in Late Aug

So I was excited after seeing so many great reviews for this campground. Even more so when I arrived and saw how beautiful green and lush the area was. I did however discover the campground was locked and a sign had been placed at the entrance of the camp that it would not be opening again until April 2020.

A little confused because there were RV campers inside I explored inside and around and discovered this is partially due to recent rains flooding a portion of the campground. I completely understood that however the elevated RV spaces were still functional and not at risk.

The location itself is beautiful with lake views on 2 sides of the camp. You are only a short distance from the boat launch and day use area which have many more signs of recent rain with trees nearly completely underwater in this area.

The roads are paved, wide and well maintained. The bathrooms available on site are mainly vault toilets however in the camp there are some improvements.

Tent camping is only $14 well worth it if the campground were open in my opinion!! I will for sure be coming back!

Chase county fishing lake

Nice little lake with free camp sites

A beautiful spot right on the lake and Dragonflies galore

Gotta say this was my first attempt at free camping and this place did not disappoint. Since my stay I have learned the area I camped has been designated as day use only by the ACoE, but I say as long as there aren't signs posted, (there weren't when I went) you're safe to set up camp. You turn into the park and before the pay sites, there are two left turns, the first is for RVs and the second is for tents and cars. We arrived the first weekend after Labor Day 2018 and we only saw 2-3 other campers there, and we even made a friend for the night. In total I would say there are about 7-8 official sites with fire rings, but there is plenty of space regardless. We arrived at dusk and as soon as we got our tents up we were greeted by the largest swarm of dragonflies I had ever seen in my life. Didn't have an issue with bitey bugs, but the bugs were plentiful. The lake is nice too, with cranes swooping in and out and we were treated to a wonderful sunrise. That place was just overall a good omen for the beginning of our trip. We plan to use this place as our main waypoint to the west.(Hope to run into you again someday, James!)

You know you’ve been camping too much when....

….the camp host offers you dog food and asks if your homeless….haha

Bluestem Point Rocks & Rolls! My SOBF (significant other boyfriend) and I have camped here over six times. We didn’t even leave when they had the semi-floods and crazy lightning storms in May & June 2019 (and we only live 30 minutes away). The picnic tables are great because they are shaped like a sail and you can turn them to block the wind or sun. You can also put a tarp on top and block out the rain. The camp hosts (Bob and Jean) are so friendly and accommodating. They also keep the place spic and span.