the dyrt
Michael J Kirwan Lake, KANSAS
Most Recent Michael J Kirwan Lake Camping Reviews
Small, quiet COE on the lake

This is a small park - 43 reservable sites with electric and water hookups. Most sites face the water and are shaded. They have fire pits and a covered cerment picnic table. Sites are fairly level and good size with a gravel pad. It is a very nice campground

Shady lakeside camping

plenty of campsites of all kinds. Tent sites,electric only,water and electric and full hookups. Boat launches close to most sites. No marina on the lake but just 5 miles to 2 towns with services. Lots of shade. Restrooms/ showers are clean.

Kansas Corps of Engineers Canning Creek Lake

Clean, well maintained and patrolled. This campground has a beach and has great views of the lake. There's group sites, primitive sites and sites with electric, water and sewer hook ups. There's a marina store that covers basics and the town of Council Grove is 10 minutes away.

Epic

Spent three days here this week. even with rain, it was a great camp ground. Corp of Engineers lake. Very clean, large private showers, with enough hot water. Daily trash pick up. Shade on most sites. Very helpful camp ground hosts. Saw 15 turkeys at the wild like area. Would have stayed longer, but more storms promised all night rain. Will return soon.

Smaller campground on Milford Lake

They keep it pretty clean considering how busy it stays. The staff is really friendly. Sometimes it gets a little noisy in the evening due to a few of the more partying type campers but that is not too often.

Sleepy Little Town

This might be the metropolis of this area but when the Walmart in town closes at midnight you know it is a sleepy little town. With that said it was nice to find this site to lay my head in the sleepy town.

The sites were level and pretty typical of a KOA. The staff was very nice and accommodating and walked me over to my tent site when I arrived. Very nice touch!

The bathrooms here were warm on a cold night and very clean. You could tell they take care of this facility very well. I had missed the pool season but with the cool air I didn't mind missing the cold water I was just wanting to stay warm.

For a basic site which included a fire ring and picnic table it was $24 that included access to wifi.

The only negative to getting a primitive site was that it was pretty windy and there wasn't really any wind block, I could have sprung for an upgraded site had I have realized there was going to be so much wind but that is my fault not theirs.

Custer Campground north of Richey Cove

Primitive sites. Vault toilets, bbq, covered picnic tables and fire rings. 3 tents allowed per site. You can shower at the north Richey campground. All are close to the lake and there is a boat ramp at the entrance. Small campground with maybe 12 sites.

Normal KOA Campground. Very friendly helpful staff. Clean bathrooms.

Clean facility. Spaces for all types from tents to motor homes. Level shaded spaces. All pull through. Food available on site or stores within minutes. Swimming pool in season.

Very nice low key. Easy to find. Friendly staff.

State park. Reservations accepted. Horse friendly. Over 600 acres of equestrian trails

tent and rv sites. Good, clean restroom/showers.

Fantastic

We loved this place. Pool, playground, jumping pad, horse shoes, roomy tent sites, gem mining, friendly staff, great price. My sister did hurt herself on the slide… but we are adults so maybe it’s our fault. YOLO. She’ll be fine. We had a ton of fun. This was a nice stop on our way. They also had bikes and a train for the kids.

Nice campground with lots of family-friendly amenities

Nice location for a one-night stopover. Kids enjoyed the basketball court, playground, and swimming pool. Clean bathroom/showers.

Clean, quiet, family/dog friendly, affordable

This location is well maintained with multiple tent camping spots and a few electric. The owners take great pride in keeping it this way. The mountain bike trails as well as hiking trails are perfect for beginners to experts. It is large enough for wake but we love taking our kayaks out.

Big Oak Campground

You'd think the Big Oak Campground in El Dorado State Park would be amazing. It's shaded with huge trees, nice sized sites some of which are very spread out, a quick walk to the swim beach and a quick drive to put your boat in the water. Unfortunately these pluses are far outweighed by the negatives. First the bathrooms were horrible. I realize they are older restrooms but they smelled awful, they were never obviously cleaned, the showers were not even a tiny bit private, the door to the restroom was broken and had to be propped open with a tree branch. Just over the bridge at the swim beach they were worse and some of the doors in the women’s room were missing. Yuck! Secondly basic campground rules were not enforced at all. The site across from us easily had 30 people camping and were up until 4am with loud music and a bright light on. I’m not kidding, my daughter was up around 3 to use the restroom and we walked by twice. The family in the site next to us had at least 4 cars and 2 tents set up outside the site on the walking path in addition to their two tents in their own site. The dog free swim beach had dogs on it. We camp with our dogs, one of which loves to swim and even I don’t want dogs on a public beach. Our camping weekend was negatively affected by poor camping etiquette and a sever lack of basic rule enforcement. We won’t be back to El Dorado State Park Big Oak campsite any time soon, at least not during the busy summer camping season. Cross Timbers and Fall River are much better!

Walnut River Area, Big Oak Campground

You'd think the Big Oak Campground in El Dorado State Park would be amazing. It's shaded with huge trees, nice sized sites some of which are very spread out, a quick walk to the swim beach and a quick drive to put your boat in the water. Unfortunately these pluses are far outweighed by the negatives. First the bathrooms were horrible. I realize they are older restrooms but they smelled awful, they were never obviously cleaned, the showers were not even a tiny bit private, the door to the restroom was broken and had to be propped open with a tree branch. Just over the bridge at the swim beach they were worse and some of the doors in the women’s room were missing. Yuck! Secondly basic campground rules were not enforced at all. The site across from us easily had 30 people camping and were up until 4am with loud music and a bright light on. I’m not kidding, my daughter was up around 3 to use the restroom and we walked by twice. The family in the site next to us had at least 4 cars and 2 tents set up outside the site on the walking path in addition to their two tents in their own site. The dog free swim beach had dogs on it. We camp with our dogs, one of which loves to swim and even I don’t want dogs on a public beach. Our camping weekend was negatively affected by poor camping etiquette and a sever lack of basic rule enforcement. We won’t be back to El Dorado State Park Big Oak campsite any time soon. Cross Timbers and Fall River are much better!

kids love it

very nice, clean bathrooms, along with a clean pool, playground, basketball court, and jump pad. only drawback was interstate noise which was significant in a pop up. well stocked store on site.

Toto, we’re not coming to Kansas anymore.

BeautifIl campgrynd but too crowded and no enforcement of rules. Bathrooms were terrible. all shower stalls face each other with no curtains. smelled awful, stall doors barely closed. we have stayed in many state parks and this was the worst.

swimming area was ok but no rule enforcement. dumpsters overflowing.

Jus passin thru

We stayed here on a passing thru option so didnt get the full flavor. The beach area seemed a bit un kept. We decided it may have been due to storms that had passed through a week before. Really need to give it a better look.

The showers were very clean and accomodating. The grounds were mowed and there was awesome shade throughout.

Best Business Trip Ever

obviously a vacation/destination town has to have decent people working in it, or it might not survive. perhaps the scenery and the relative geographic ease to get here make it such that the people wouldn't have to try that hard, but they do anyway. attributable to the hiring of h/s students, of a trip that was otherwise filled with delightful accommodating people. i cannot wait to return next year and to attend other events as well. it helped me share and promote my local guest posting business with people there. and it helped me promote my business and get fruitful results.

Frequently visit here

Not a lot of water but good for kayak fishing. Decent waking trails and campground. Dated facilities but fairly clean. Nice in the fall- Turkey and Deer.

Been there many times

Most campsites have easy access to the lake. Facilities are dated but, for the most part, clean. Fairly quiet but can get rowdy during holidays.

A place

We are here for a while. I wish they have monthly prices or lower weekly. Not bad for over night stop or a. Few days but not longer. Lol clean park and everyone is friendly just kinda pricey.

Most secluded spot around Council Grove Lake

2 different loops with a several waterside campsites and picnic shelters alongside each. Campsites include tent pad, shelter, picnic table and either a fire pit or an elevated grill. There is also water access that you can drop your boat into thats just adjacent for main Richey Cove campground's beach. Tent only camping allows you to get some quiet time in the out doors as its one of the least frequented of the campsites around the lake and the farthest north.

Pretty basic but close to home

This is a nice smaller lake that is fairly close to Wichita. Great staff on board. Electric only but the office lets you fill your fresh water tank by the entrance and there is a dump station. Swim beach & great for tent camping. This was the first lake we went to as new RV owners.

Love the park, not the bait store!

Park is nice & clean! Ross at the main entrance is a great guy with lots of information about the parks & lake. Camp host at Sunflower Meadows was nice & helpful. I would give the park 5 stars but the man at the Bluestem Bait & General Store was very rude! So rude that we made the 12 mile drive back to El Dorado to buy all our supplies & bait at Walmart & Angler's Bait & Tackle. The man at Angler's Bait & Tackle was very helpful & went out of his way to help make our camping & fishing trip enjoyable! Just goes to show that customer service can make you or break you. Will definately be going back to Bluestem Point but not to Bluestem Bait & General Store!

Memorial Day Weekend

This is a popular weekend get-away. It's less than an hour from Wichita, clean, taken care of. There's plenty of options (primitive, water/electric/sewer, picnic use, boat ramps). My experience over the holiday weekends has usually been that's when the rowdy crowd shows up but this campground was comfortable and family-oriented.

El Dorado State Park Bluestem for an easy, laid-back weekend!

Restrooms with showers and dumpsters (for you campsite garbage) are widely available during camping season. The designated swim areas are great for the whole family because there is a wide and far out area that doesn't get too deep while being roped off. NO STICKERS IN THE GRASS AT THE DESIGNATED CAMP SITES!!!!! At some sites, you can fish just feet from your tent. Beware at the box turtle camp site though, a channel runs 3-4 feet out from the shore and drops about 12 feet QUICK so don't swim there! The general store and bait shop at Bluestem is wonderful. If you visit Kansas State Parks frequently, it pays to purchase an annual vehicle permit early in the year when they are discounted rather than pay per day every time you visit.

If you wanna camp... you could camp here!

Has a nice sandy beach! Part of it cordoned off for just swimmers to enjoy. Also a boat ramp and dock. A section of the campground is off on a small, narrow peninsula known as 'the island' and is a popular spot. Also has group camping sites, shower buildings and several bathrooms around the campground in addition to a playground. Nice, well maintained area right by the lake with lots of trees and easy access from the highway.

Nice camping spots close to lake friendly camp hosts

Our families camp there every year. The spots are nice. Every third is a pull in non reservable site. Lake side spots. Friendly camp hosts. Great campground.

Great family get away

We took the kayak down with us and drive around the lake to the beach area and had a great time. Everyone camping near by was nice. The host were awesome.

Lots of places to walk to and relax.

Great camping pads with covered picnic tables and built in grills.

Good campground

This was a good place to stay. It had water and electric for utilities. A pit toilet close by and new playground equipment in A loop. I didn’t use the showerhouse, but it was a bit of a ways off outside our campground loop. Good access to rocky shoreline and lake for activities. If you bring kids keep away from tree trunks as I saw some poison ivy starting to grow at the base of several trees. Saw local LE patrol daily.