Michael J Kirwan Lake, KANSAS

Camping Kansas Michael J Kirwan Lake
Most Recent Michael J Kirwan Lake Camping Reviews
Owls nest camping

Small RV park however, it is a nice place. Owners are very nice people.

Wonderful Facilities

Very nice laundry room and bathroom facilities! Standard tent camping site. Nice staff - check out the postcards in the office!

Known For Amenities

This area is unique as a part of the overall parks area.   Providing mostly day use they have used this as overflow upon occasion according to the lake office.   It has vault toilets and not much more for campers however.   There are no clearly marked camping locations as this is only used as overflow and for special event camping.

The area is mainly used as day use and does have some really nice features for that. There are several pavilions and covered areas for shaded picnics and functions.    Additionally there are several volley ball areas spread throughout and maintained well.

There is an older playground near the boat ramp and a much nicer and newer one located closest to the larger parking area and largest pavilion.

The main draw to this area is the swimming beach which is the best of the parks offerings with sandy bars and well maintained grassy areas for shade.   However, due to recent flooding the are is not currently deemed as safe for swimming and now is more of a collection of water foul enjoying the banks casually.

If you are visiting the area this is a location I would definitely check this part of the lake out and give it a shot for day use.   Also check with the lake information center to see if they are hosting special events which allow you to camp and reserve in advance!!

Not open when I visited in Late Aug

So I was excited after seeing so many great reviews for this campground. Even more so when I arrived and saw how beautiful green and lush the area was. I did however discover the campground was locked and a sign had been placed at the entrance of the camp that it would not be opening again until April 2020.

A little confused because there were RV campers inside I explored inside and around and discovered this is partially due to recent rains flooding a portion of the campground. I completely understood that however the elevated RV spaces were still functional and not at risk.

The location itself is beautiful with lake views on 2 sides of the camp. You are only a short distance from the boat launch and day use area which have many more signs of recent rain with trees nearly completely underwater in this area.

The roads are paved, wide and well maintained. The bathrooms available on site are mainly vault toilets however in the camp there are some improvements.

Tent camping is only $14 well worth it if the campground were open in my opinion!! I will for sure be coming back!

Chase county fishing lake

Nice little lake with free camp sites

A beautiful spot right on the lake and Dragonflies galore

Gotta say this was my first attempt at free camping and this place did not disappoint. Since my stay I have learned the area I camped has been designated as day use only by the ACoE, but I say as long as there aren't signs posted, (there weren't when I went) you're safe to set up camp. You turn into the park and before the pay sites, there are two left turns, the first is for RVs and the second is for tents and cars. We arrived the first weekend after Labor Day 2018 and we only saw 2-3 other campers there, and we even made a friend for the night. In total I would say there are about 7-8 official sites with fire rings, but there is plenty of space regardless. We arrived at dusk and as soon as we got our tents up we were greeted by the largest swarm of dragonflies I had ever seen in my life. Didn't have an issue with bitey bugs, but the bugs were plentiful. The lake is nice too, with cranes swooping in and out and we were treated to a wonderful sunrise. That place was just overall a good omen for the beginning of our trip. We plan to use this place as our main waypoint to the west.(Hope to run into you again someday, James!)

You know you’ve been camping too much when....

….the camp host offers you dog food and asks if your homeless….haha

Bluestem Point Rocks & Rolls! My SOBF (significant other boyfriend) and I have camped here over six times. We didn’t even leave when they had the semi-floods and crazy lightning storms in May & June 2019 (and we only live 30 minutes away). The picnic tables are great because they are shaped like a sail and you can turn them to block the wind or sun. You can also put a tarp on top and block out the rain. The camp hosts (Bob and Jean) are so friendly and accommodating. They also keep the place spic and span.

One of our favorite places to camp. Close to home for us and free.

There's quite a few spot to camp. All primitive. Can get a little busy during the day on the weekend but there are some great spots up in the trees away from the water that stay pretty quite.

Clean, friendly, secure, and quiet!

We stopped here overnight during our road trip across the country. It was a delightful surprise! The bathrooms are super clean, there is a very nice playground and fenced dog run.

Lakeside camping with a view

Spots are first come first serve. Arrived on a Friday morning mid-June and there was only one site taken. This is a wonderful campground if you’re into star gazing as there is zero light pollution. Pros: No light pollution No loud parties Ample wildlife Camp within feet of the water Gorgeous views

Cons: One restroom facility (not horribly bad as this is a very small lake)

Clean and quiet

Relaxing and clean swimming area. Bathroom was clean.

scouting trip

Spend three nights with the cub scouts on this lake.  We had lots of success with fishing and the kids really enjoyed some of the hiking trails.

Love the Sandy Beaches!

Sandy beaches at most of the tent campsites are our favorite things about this lake! Also, super affordable camping.

Fortunate to have this close to home

My family travels to alot of lakes every year. This lake has everything we look for. Grills d firepits at EVERY site. Good fishing, 2 swim large swim beaches, plenty of out buildings and play areas. Each year we travel to a new lake or two on vacation and just havent found one like ours closr to home.

Great Place to spend the day

This is a great place to spend the day. It has easy access for fishing, a nice little playground for the kids and a decent beach for swimming.

Small, quiet COE on the lake

This is a small park - 43 reservable sites with electric and water hookups. Most sites face the water and are shaded. They have fire pits and a covered cerment picnic table. Sites are fairly level and good size with a gravel pad. It is a very nice campground

Shady lakeside camping

plenty of campsites of all kinds. Tent sites,electric only,water and electric and full hookups. Boat launches close to most sites. No marina on the lake but just 5 miles to 2 towns with services. Lots of shade. Restrooms/ showers are clean.

Kansas Corps of Engineers Canning Creek Lake

Clean, well maintained and patrolled. This campground has a beach and has great views of the lake. There's group sites, primitive sites and sites with electric, water and sewer hook ups. There's a marina store that covers basics and the town of Council Grove is 10 minutes away.

Epic

Spent three days here this week. even with rain, it was a great camp ground. Corp of Engineers lake. Very clean, large private showers, with enough hot water. Daily trash pick up. Shade on most sites. Very helpful camp ground hosts. Saw 15 turkeys at the wild like area. Would have stayed longer, but more storms promised all night rain. Will return soon.

Smaller campground on Milford Lake

They keep it pretty clean considering how busy it stays. The staff is really friendly. Sometimes it gets a little noisy in the evening due to a few of the more partying type campers but that is not too often.

Sleepy Little Town

This might be the metropolis of this area but when the Walmart in town closes at midnight you know it is a sleepy little town. With that said it was nice to find this site to lay my head in the sleepy town.

The sites were level and pretty typical of a KOA. The staff was very nice and accommodating and walked me over to my tent site when I arrived. Very nice touch!

The bathrooms here were warm on a cold night and very clean. You could tell they take care of this facility very well. I had missed the pool season but with the cool air I didn't mind missing the cold water I was just wanting to stay warm.

For a basic site which included a fire ring and picnic table it was $24 that included access to wifi.

The only negative to getting a primitive site was that it was pretty windy and there wasn't really any wind block, I could have sprung for an upgraded site had I have realized there was going to be so much wind but that is my fault not theirs.

Custer Campground north of Richey Cove

Primitive sites. Vault toilets, bbq, covered picnic tables and fire rings. 3 tents allowed per site. You can shower at the north Richey campground. All are close to the lake and there is a boat ramp at the entrance. Small campground with maybe 12 sites.

Normal KOA Campground. Very friendly helpful staff. Clean bathrooms.

Clean facility. Spaces for all types from tents to motor homes. Level shaded spaces. All pull through. Food available on site or stores within minutes. Swimming pool in season.

Very nice low key. Easy to find. Friendly staff.

State park. Reservations accepted. Horse friendly. Over 600 acres of equestrian trails

tent and rv sites. Good, clean restroom/showers.

Fantastic

We loved this place. Pool, playground, jumping pad, horse shoes, roomy tent sites, gem mining, friendly staff, great price. My sister did hurt herself on the slide… but we are adults so maybe it’s our fault. YOLO. She’ll be fine. We had a ton of fun. This was a nice stop on our way. They also had bikes and a train for the kids.

Nice campground with lots of family-friendly amenities

Nice location for a one-night stopover. Kids enjoyed the basketball court, playground, and swimming pool. Clean bathroom/showers.

Clean, quiet, family/dog friendly, affordable

This location is well maintained with multiple tent camping spots and a few electric. The owners take great pride in keeping it this way. The mountain bike trails as well as hiking trails are perfect for beginners to experts. It is large enough for wake but we love taking our kayaks out.

Big Oak Campground

You'd think the Big Oak Campground in El Dorado State Park would be amazing. It's shaded with huge trees, nice sized sites some of which are very spread out, a quick walk to the swim beach and a quick drive to put your boat in the water. Unfortunately these pluses are far outweighed by the negatives. First the bathrooms were horrible. I realize they are older restrooms but they smelled awful, they were never obviously cleaned, the showers were not even a tiny bit private, the door to the restroom was broken and had to be propped open with a tree branch. Just over the bridge at the swim beach they were worse and some of the doors in the women’s room were missing. Yuck! Secondly basic campground rules were not enforced at all. The site across from us easily had 30 people camping and were up until 4am with loud music and a bright light on. I’m not kidding, my daughter was up around 3 to use the restroom and we walked by twice. The family in the site next to us had at least 4 cars and 2 tents set up outside the site on the walking path in addition to their two tents in their own site. The dog free swim beach had dogs on it. We camp with our dogs, one of which loves to swim and even I don’t want dogs on a public beach. Our camping weekend was negatively affected by poor camping etiquette and a sever lack of basic rule enforcement. We won’t be back to El Dorado State Park Big Oak campsite any time soon, at least not during the busy summer camping season. Cross Timbers and Fall River are much better!

Walnut River Area, Big Oak Campground

You'd think the Big Oak Campground in El Dorado State Park would be amazing. It's shaded with huge trees, nice sized sites some of which are very spread out, a quick walk to the swim beach and a quick drive to put your boat in the water. Unfortunately these pluses are far outweighed by the negatives. First the bathrooms were horrible. I realize they are older restrooms but they smelled awful, they were never obviously cleaned, the showers were not even a tiny bit private, the door to the restroom was broken and had to be propped open with a tree branch. Just over the bridge at the swim beach they were worse and some of the doors in the women’s room were missing. Yuck! Secondly basic campground rules were not enforced at all. The site across from us easily had 30 people camping and were up until 4am with loud music and a bright light on. I’m not kidding, my daughter was up around 3 to use the restroom and we walked by twice. The family in the site next to us had at least 4 cars and 2 tents set up outside the site on the walking path in addition to their two tents in their own site. The dog free swim beach had dogs on it. We camp with our dogs, one of which loves to swim and even I don’t want dogs on a public beach. Our camping weekend was negatively affected by poor camping etiquette and a sever lack of basic rule enforcement. We won’t be back to El Dorado State Park Big Oak campsite any time soon. Cross Timbers and Fall River are much better!

kids love it

very nice, clean bathrooms, along with a clean pool, playground, basketball court, and jump pad. only drawback was interstate noise which was significant in a pop up. well stocked store on site.