the dyrt
Altamont, KANSAS
Most Recent Altamont Camping Reviews
Not in Kansas

Twin Bridges is actually located in North East Oklahoma, not in Kansas. Quite near both Kansas and Missouri. Beautiful sites, busy campground. Great facilities including showers and a playground. Office staff was rather rude, which is unusual in the camping industry, so maybe it was a bad weekend for them. Some sites are too close to the very busy road.

Great Backpacking trail

A group of friends and I hiked the little over 14 mile trail over 2 and a half days it was awesome!

Great Escape

Small campground with the essentials, no frills. For those who like roughing it. Sign says to pay at the local police station- but the police do sometimes swing by and will collect your fee at the campground. I went in Sept-Oct of 2016 & really enjoyed myself. Was a very quiet spot to camp without many campers at the time. Across the river is a small playground in addition to the one at the campground. I am not sure if swimming is safe here, only saw people fishing with waders on.

It’s a place to park

It is a very small place to park close to 69 highway and a public golf course.

Buffalo without fences

Prairie state park isn’t very large but it is nice to see somewhere dedicated to preserving the native grassland that the Midwest used to be covered with. The main draw for me other than it being close to where I live is that you get to be around buffalo with out fences. It is a surreal experience and worth the time to locate the herd in the park.

Bison are plenty, no showersor flush toilets

If you are interested in bison sightings, this is the park for you. If you need water, supplies, shower or a flush toilet, skip this one. The tent sites are VERY primitive, but you drive up to your camp. You really have to go out of the way to get to this camp, but we were rewarded with a scary but fun close encounter with a lone bull bison. We also got some ticks, so be careful!

Great stop on Grand Lake, OK. Lots of trees in the park. Nice Pool.

Great stop on Grand Lake, OK. Lots of trees in the park. Nice Pool.

Abundance of campsites and lake access

My family and I camped at Elk City state park over memorial weekend. There were primitive and RV sites everywhere and lake access in many places. As expected it was crowded and busy. We found a decent primitive spot, however there wasn't anywhere to park. It wasn't that the spots were taken, the sit was just off the road but there was a deep ditch. We ended up manuevering our van through the trees to get to the site.

A former private lake

What a gem! Amazing swimming beach, modern bath house and great restaurant.

A handful of small campgrounds surround the lake. Almost every spot is on the water.

Only drawback is restrooms are sometimes a short walk away.

It's very Kansan

It's kind of kitschy and weird and in the same vein as the world's largest ball of twine… any my nephew thinks it's the most amazing thing in the world.

Stop and See!

I think it’s probably the most underrated park in the area. It’s absolutely beautiful. 45 minutes from Joplin, Missouri. Limited camp sites but the sites are spacious w/ tables, pit, bathroom facilIty a short walk away with a creek nearby. Peaceful as can be.

Very Nice State Park with great water views

This is a great State Park. Sites are paved with water and electric hook ups. Most are pretty level. Very clean park with nice restrooms and shower facilities. Great water views. The best hiking trails in the State of Kansas are in and around this lake and state park. From this camp ground you can hop on an awesome trail that leads up to the dam over look area. The trail has the lake on one side and rock wall formations on the other. Simply a great hiking area.

Worth the drive

This is a beautiful lake near Independence, Kansas that has plenty to do. There is a very challenging hiking trail that is 11 miles one way so take plenty of fluids & snacks.

Creek side party beach camping

This could be a really nice little campground if it weren’t for the party vibe starting at 7am (yep, there was that one guy pounding beer and cranking tunes at 7am). Camp sites are divided by the road with RVs on one side and tents on the other. A person can easily walk under the bridge to get from one side to the other without having to walk on the road. There are no designated sites for tents, and that means there are also no picnic tables or grills for tents (it looked like there were at least some grills and fire pits near the gravel parking pads for RVs). But, for $5 you can camp on the beach and Mike (the fellow who runs Zan’s) will help you get hooked up with kayaks or rafts to float the river. There are no showers. There’s a decent roadhouse just up the street for some eats.

Route 66 camping in Kansas

This is a small municipal campground just outside of town on the banks of Spring River. It is a no frills campground- porta potties that need to be emptied and a big open field with no set campsites. There are a few scattered picnic tables and grills and even few fire rings. But, it’s $5 a night for tents and $10 for RVs, which are separated from each other. There is a boat ramp and some nice fishing spots, but it looks like getting in the water is the preferred method. Across the river there is a local rodeo arena.

Clear water and breath taking scenery

Aways enjoyable super clear water this place is a premier fishing destination especially for predator fish but great fishing no matter what your looking to hook into the camping is just as enjoyable with nice and open campgrounds that are close to the water the more simple your camping method the more enjoyable this place is for the tent spots are the best spots this place could use a few more trees but it's not a deal breaker because the beauty of this place is out of this world

Great fishing getaway with services

This is a great spot for a fishing getaway or to have a base for seeing the local sights. There is a cafe/store on-site with good meal offerings and minimal supplies. Other services can be found within a 30 minute drive if needed. Lake access for boats is available within 5 minutes drive.

There are limited RV spots available; the owners are very helpful and knowledgeable. There is not much in the way of shade and don't expect to find any on-site designated play areas for children but it is a great location for the RV person who is going fishing or setting out to see sites in the area.

Great location for easy fishing access

This is a great short or long term RV spot for those that are wanting to have possibilities of great fishing. On the shores of Oologah Lake with a boat ramp. There appear to be many long term campers here; there are not organized places for children to play. However, there are places that any kid could find to play; this park is mainly structured to attract older campers. There are services and goods available within 30 minutes.

This is also a great location for exploring area attractions (Will Rogers birthplace home, Will Rogers Museum, Woolaroc, etc. I would not consider this a kid friendly park and there are not any activities other than lake access and fishing. If you go into looking at it as a fishermen's destination, you will be happy.

Caney Bend in Early Summer

I had a nice, one-night experience at the Caney Bend campground. I did not take advantage of Copan lake, but I noticed there was a boat ramp which would be a great amenity for someone with a boat/kayak/canoe. Saw a great amount of wildlife such as birds, woodland critters and even a lizard. I saw one other camper during my time here. Beautiful, early Summer, Oklahoma weather and gorgeous night sky. I gave this site four stars because even though it was a nice experience it wasn't anything special, in my opinion. However, I would be interested in returning and having a full camping/hiking experience instead of just passing through like last time. Also hopefully my device won't be dead like last time so I can actually take pictures of the area. Give this place a try!

Nice but long

Greak hike, not much scenery. Too long to complete in a day.

Lone Wolf

Camped primitive at Twin Bridges State Park in 2002 by myself. Set up one-person tent. Built a campfire and enjoyed the solitude. Grand lake and Spring river joins together there just over the hill. Thats reason its called Twin Bridges! On 60 highway west of Senaca, Mo and between there and Fairland, Ok going west. Nice shelters with bath houses and picnic tables. Fishing is great! Have roped off swimming area too. Rangers came through every couple hours to do a security check which was nice. Made coffee next morning on fire and brother came with cinnamon rolls and to visit!! What a nice campground.

Hidden gem

This place is free to camp if you aren't using utilities, even then it's only $10. The lake is not very large, but we found a great spot by the water. Will definitely be coming back!

Love the prairie!

Limited camping spots available, but the times we've stayed there have rarely been others camping. So, it's peaceful! There is a nice pit toilet with hand sanitizer, tables, and fire rings. There is also a backpacking camping spot out on the prairie.

Right on the water

Loved the roomy tent site right on the water. Bathrooms were nearby and decent. Would stay again!

A+ CG will go again

Great sites, great hiking, kids activities and pet friendly. Clean facilities. A+

Unexpected Beauty in the KS Flint Hills

Came here for a last minute trip for the 4th of July. I found online reservations confusing, but I called the Park Office and they were very helpful. Found a spot easily, which I didn't expect due to the holiday weekend. The park rangers directed us to a quieter spot, right by the lake. Gorgeous. Bathrooms were easily accessible and clean. Electrical outlets were harder to find, but we were at a primitive site so I expected it. I will definitely come here again.

peaceful

great quite place to be with nature

Home home on the range

Bison herds, coyote calls, birding, and wide open spaces make this a memorable place to visit. It’s very basic, which we liked to give it a nice settlers on the prairie feel. There are only a few sites (5?) by the road and one more backcountry site about 3.5 miles down an easy trail (“backpacking”). You can’t have a fire at the backpacking site so if that’s a big part of your camping style stay in the front country and just hike the trail by day. It’s a nice spot and I’d return.

Primitive?

We stayed at little bluestem campground in the Hell Creek area, where we camped in a tent. The lake was beautiful and the weather was nice. we went on a short hike on the dakota trail, which was very well kept. we do not own a boat or mountain bikes so there was not a ton of stuff for us to do. the mountain biking looked really fun. and I bet having a boat would have made it even more fun. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because it was mainly for RV's. which me and my other half are not all about. There are about 20 different campsites and Little Bluestem is the ONLY primitive one. we arrived and there were two RV's in the two best spots at the PRIMITIVE campground.