Ridgeway , IOWA

Most Recent Ridgeway Camping Reviews
Crowded, many RVs. Decent tent sites along river.

From someone who typically prefers backpacking and sleeping in remote areas, this campground facility, pretty much in the city, is okay.

The facilities are nice, bathrooms were clean. What I didn't enjoy was how close each RV site is. The sparks from our fire were making their way to our neighbors site.

The campground is situated next to the Trout Run Trail, providing quick and easy access to the 11-mile loop or in to the city center of Decorah.

Overall, decent for a city campground, but very crowded. The tent sites near the river look more spaced out.

Fall Colors

One of the best state parks we've stayed at. We were on the bluff across the street which is no biggie. Site 124 the highest point there for camping. Restrooms were very clean and no bugs in the first of October.

So beautiful with different levels of hiking.

The campground was quiet And clean- bathrooms extremely clean with facilities being closed for 2 hours each day for cleaning. 2 different camping areas one more woods, one closer to your neighbors but AMAZING bluff top views.

The hiking is awesome- prairie trails, woods trails, waterfalls, caves- take your pick. Concessions have what you may want for a treat, woods is reasonably priced at $4/ bundle. Though there is a stand right outside of the park where bundles are $3.

Great hidden gem

Out in the middle of bluff country. This nice campground plays to the active bodied person well. From golf to tubing to an indoor swimming pool and restaurant. This place has a lot to offer.

Two great rivers, two great campgrounds

I camped and hiked at Wyalusing State Park as a kid (like 35 years ago) and returned just this summer. It was a last-minute trip and literally got to pick from three remaining sites so wasn't sure what the experience would be like. Four days/three nights later and I can easily say this park is a good as my childhood memories.

Hiking - there are miles of great hiking trails and two trails for mountain biking. While the trails to Big and Little Sand caves are lovely, they are also heavily trafficked. We found that the Mississippi Ridge Trail to be a lovely walk in the woods - without any people (and that was on Labor Day weekend!)

Campsites

I am a car camper with no interest in (E) electric sites, so I did not pay attention nor note good ones. I prefer the silence and relative darkness that non-E sites provide.

We stayed at the Homestead Campground, which consists of four loops named after cardinal directions. Three of the loops are really just a long road with a cul-de-sac at the end, while the fourth is just a big loop with a large green space inside the circle and the loop's water source. This campground's sites are *mostly* among trees, and have a fair amount of privacy (forest understory growth) between sites. Some are further from the road, and very few are right on the road with no screening.

Not surprisingly, the campsites on the three cul-de-sacs seemed the most private and experience the lowest drive-by traffic, but no sites looked awful. In fact, our last minute pick of the remaining three sites was just fine. The entire campground is protected from wind and is very wooded.

If I were to return to this campground, I'd pick 235 and 236 on the west loop, 223, 224 and 225 on the north loop, 209, 210 and 211 on the east loop and 248, 239 and 250 on the south loop. However, you really can't go wrong in this campground.

BATHROOMS: let me wax poetic about the new bathroom/shower block. While I didn't take photos (should have) this is one of the nicest public bathrooms I've ever been in. Not just in a state park, ever. It was built in 2019 and has been treated well by visitors and well maintained by the park and campground hosts. Each gendered bathroom has ample stalls and sinks. There are four single-person showers. All were clean, large and well-lit.

Wisconsin Ridge is the second campground in this state park. This is the quintessential Wyalusing experience with sites overlooking both the Wisconsin and Mississippi River valleys. In my opinion, there is a price to pay for the views. Sites are very close to one another, and most are very close to the road. In some cases, the best (read dry and level)  the best spot to pitch a tent are also close close to the road. Just one side of one road in the loop has the great views, the rest see the view across the road, or in the case of the "inside loop" road, sites are just in the woods. This campground is also noted for its rip-roaring winds, one camper told us that during the rainy and wind night before, their shelter took off and tumbled down the valley - and when they say down, they're talking down, down, down.

That said, if you're looking for a majestic view of both rivers and the quaint river town of Prairie du Chien, the sites you'll want to check out are 119, 127, 129, 122, 144, 146, 148 and 152.

Blackhawk a humbling experience

We had and absolute blast at this national park! The Blackhawk monument is one of a humbling experience. Sad to hear how it all happened.

None the less the fishing was awesome. The people were great, plus you are in distance of 3-4 states within 30 minutes you could be to anyone! The staff check on you and maintain the grounds very well. I only dropped a star because the swimming area is very mediocre. The rest, very good!

Nice, quiet campground

Our site was very large, which was nice as it gave us more than enough room to set up our tent, leaving space between us and the neighboring sites.

For the families - there’s a couple small playgrounds on site, which is a good opportunity for the littles to burn some energy. There’s also a nice covered pool, but we didn’t use it because the most shallow point was 4’6”, which is great for bigger kids, but with little ones, it’s a bit more difficult. There’s a river that offers tubing. Again, our kids are a bit too little for that, but we went down to the water to check it out, and it was beautiful, quiet, and not real deep. Perfect for a relaxing float.

Beware, the office and bar/restaurant are located inside the barn. I say beware because there are barn swallows that nest on the outside of the barn. TONS of barn swallows. They’re mostly harmless, but they do swoop down and get pretty close, so you need to watch out a little bit.

All in all, it’s a pretty great place to camp. Beautiful, quiet (people seem to mostly respect the idea of “quiet time”), spacious, and relaxing. Also, it doesn’t hurt that you’re away from the bright lights of the city, so star gazing is amazing!

Best Hike In sites around

The hike up the hill to the overlook is a daunting one. We used a collapsible wagon to haul all the supplies up the hill. There are two hike in sites here at overlooks that give spectacular views. The site has a shelter for the tent as well as other places outside for it. A fire spot and picnic table. Worth the hike.

Great hiking destination

Great hiking trails, camp store, kayak rentals, basketball court, tennis court, sand volleyball, playgrounds, astronomy center, bluff view sites available. Nice shower and restrooms in campground. Boatlanding and canoe trail.

Best camping trip EVER!!!!

So say my two 8 year old boys, I happen to agree.

This campsite is HUGE, we were there on a busy 4th July and the campsite was full.   But you never felt crowded.   Of course with Covid19 not everything was open.

But the highlight is the location on the Root River.    Tubing the river is the highlight here.  You drop in one side of the campsite and an hour later pull out on the other side,   So much fun.

They have a great restaurant and outside bar,   pool, baseball and a playground.

We had a blast and would highly recommend.