The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Exeelsior , IOWA

Most Recent Exeelsior Camping Reviews
Very pretty scenery

I was only able to stay one night but i loved it. We hiked the equestrian trails one afternoon and the regular trails the next day. I camped in the equestrian campground and loved it with my popup. Outhouse type toilets are available there. I only drove past the RV campground and the campsites were close together. The equestrian area is the way to go in my opinion but i love the quiet. Picnic tables and fire rings are at each campsite.

Iowa Gem!

Cute little RV/tent campground. Very nice hosts. Only stayed 1 night. Definitely on the 'let's go back' list. Waubonsie trail behind park is a short hike to the covered bridge and Dutchman's Store. Perfect Way to stretch your legs after a long day on the road. Bathrooms and showers were exceptionally clean. Horseshoe pit, playground and campfire swing area were nice surprises. All for under $20 for electric RV site! Great campground for a small group event.

Nice Quiet Campground

We stayed in the Elk Rock Equestrian campground and it was so peaceful and beautiful. The facilities were clean.

It's fine

Like most Iowa state parks, no sewer or water hook ups at site. Not super level. Near red rock, but cannot see the lake from the campground, cannot access the bike trail directly from campground. Wooded area, no trails or anything special in the park. Showers flooded the bathroom and had to push the button every 30 seconds to keep the water going.

Around this area there are many Marion county campgrounds that have better sites and amenities.

Horse park

Good place to camp. Year round access. Close to Pella and Knoxville

Nice hikes

We went in the chillier months so the park definitely was not at its most scenic as it probably usually is. The hikes throughout the woods were quite nice and eventually loop around at least the one we were on did). They have a ginormous and steep boat landing with a large parking lot. The water looked pretty nice, although is was quite low at the time. The best part about the trip was the eagles. We must have been there at just the right time, because lined all through the trees along the lakes edge were eagles upon eagles. I'd say we saw about 70 bald eagles perched in the tress. It was really a beautiful sight. Aside from the park, it's pretty close to pella, which is a nice historic Dutch town. Good food and bars there to check out! Would visit again, but when it's warmer!

Horse camp

We really wnjoyed riding the trails here. Good facilities for our horses.

waubonsie

Clean campground, facilities are in good shape. Loved visiting the dutchmans store for a large variety of things.

Elk Rock is convenient for boating and horseback riding at Lake Red Rock

I stayed at Elk Rock State Park with my son and his Boy Scout troop. The weather was perfect that night and we were able to have a nice fire. The next day we broke down our tents pretty quickly because of the rain.

We obviously stayed in the group campsite, but the campground is big with lots of trees and good facilities. It even has an equestrian part of the campground for you horse lovers.

Lake Red Rock is really close so it is a great place to stay the night and then pull your boat down to the lake for some fun on the water. Iowa doesn't have any mountains but it makes up for it with a lot of green scenery and some wonderful activities like horseback riding and boating for the family.

This is a very good state park and campground.