Exeelsior , IOWA

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Exeelsior Camping Reviews
State park, make a reservation.

Good sized lake, nice beach, camp store operators real nice. Decent distance between sites for a state park on Iowa. Boat rentals. On my annual camp rotation.

Hard to find real camping for free

Fire pits with grills and everything.

Unfortunately we were there in the dead of winter as a stop over on a road trip, but it was easy to find and easy to get into the park to the camp sites.

For just outside of Des Moines, pretty good spot.

Fantastic

Great camp grounds! New showers and toilets. Easy access. Not far from oskaloosa.

LOVE!

I grew up a few miles from this state park so stayed here when we went back to visit family. This park, like all state parks, has had it's ups and downs. Unfortunately, the amazing swimming beach with concession stand and changing rooms with showers is gone. Due to the large population of geese, ducks, and cranes, the water is not safe to swim in.

On the upside, the camping, boating, and fishing are amazing! We dry camped right on the water's edge for $6 a night, 2 weeks for $88! Electric sites are only 12. Their sites are 20/30/50 amp. No water or sewer at the sites but there are water spigots dispersed through the campground and full dump station as you come in/leave. There is a nice camp store next to the campground st the marina for fishing gear, firewood, and a few essentials. You can also rent fishing boats, pontoons, kayaks, and canoes.

We were able to kayak and bike here and it was amazing! We will definitely be back!!!

Super cute!

This place is huge. We pulled in very late on a Weds night / Thursday morning. Self registration at the front. Looked like a decent amount of folks here but we didn’t drive very far into the park. If you take a look at the PDF maps on their website you can see how vast the places is with 122 spots! Bummed we needed to keep driving the next day- was very tempted to stay another night.

Shower house and bathrooms were really nice! Wasn’t expecting to want to take a shower but couldn’t pass up the opportunity when we saw them. Very hot water.

There are picnic benches everywhere and fire pits. 10/10 - would stay again!

Quiet and roomy

This campground is rather quiet and not usually busy. Each of the 10 campsites are spacious and plenty of distance between. Nice quick trails with wildlife. The park is well maintained and well priced!

Rock Creek Rocks

Rock Creek is known for its crappie and large mouth bass fishing. The lake has lots of features like brush piles, vertical structures, mossy areas and you can go over by the bridge and fish the rocks. It’s a great place if you have a boat or kayak/canoe.

The camping is very nice. There are RV electrical sites available along with water/sewage. Most of them have tables also. The spots aren’t huge but there are lots of places to camp. On the weekends it’s pretty busy but during the weekday it empties out.

The tent camping side is really big also and it’s hardly ever filled up. You can reserve some spots right on the water and fish from your tent. Most all the sites have their own fire ring and some have tables.

There are lots of restroom facilities located around the lake that are pretty clean.

For activities you can go hiking, fishing, there is disc golf and there is a beach to go swimming in. Morel mushroom hunting is pretty popular here in the wood areas. They have grill pits to grill on and picnic tables through out the area. There are also some playgrounds for the little ones to play in.

I highly recommend this place.

Right on the water

Pros: Loved being right on the water and so close to the playground and restrooms. Nice area to bike around, and had a ton of kids. Showed a movie near the playground in the evenings.

Cons: Beach was covered in poop, too nasty to swim. Rented a paddle boat, and had to come back after 5 mins because they were infested with hundreds of spiders. The horse shoe pit was overgrown with grass.

Spacious sites, beautiful lake!

The campground itself is very nice. There is a lot of space between campsites, which is awesome!  Our site had a great view of the lake, as well.   The campgrounds are a drive away from the beach and most boat ramps.  The lake was great for kayaking, but the visit to Whitebreast beach knocked the campground scored down, as I typically look for the overall experience and not just sites/facilities in my rating.  Whitebreast beach had sand at the top, leading me to believe it would be a typical sandy beach-not at all!  As you made your way further down and into the water, there was muddy, wet clay and the beach floor was slimy and muddy. I even saw a young boy lose his shoes in the wet clay! I would return to the campground and kayak the lake, but I wouldn't recommend the beach!  I'm fairly certain my grandson and I both ended up with some kind of bug bites after being there-we're both still itching!!  Yuck! There is another beach at Lake Red Rock and perhaps it is nicer/cleaner, but I would stay away from Whitebreast if you don't like your feet sliming in clay and mud!

Will come back