Kilbourne , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Kilbourne Camping Reviews
Great Place

We were coming here to camp with a group of friends. On the way down we had an issue with our camper and had to take it back to the shop. We called and the owner was willing to change our spot to a cabin with no notice. The cabins are nice and comfy and our friends camper spot was nice and spacious. The rest of the campground was clean, especially the bathrooms. Definitely check it out!!!

Stay here!

Beautiful campground! Super clean and peaceful. Highly recommend 👌

5 stars with a caveat

This is a beautiful state park, but hopefully you won’t have the same experience I did with the electric hookup. I stayed here right after the fourth of July and because of the heat over this holiday weekend and a completely full campground, the electricity couldn’t meet the demand and a transformer blew. By the time I arrived the transformer was repaired, however the pedestals in the section I was supposed to stay in had a problem. I was supposed to stay in site 27, but after 3 attempts to get power at 3 different sites, number 24 was the winner and this was a great site! The campground hosts were fantastic in resolving the situation as well.

Site 24 is huge and level with a picnic table and fire ring. Electric but no water at site. The site is totally private on one side because of a lake inlet and there’s a large back area right on the lake. The gravel pad is located right near a large, old bald cypress.

This park has multiple public use areas, 2 campgrounds, boat launches, fishing piers and a beach. I didn’t use the public restrooms because they were closed due to Covid-19. I was able to get internet with Verizon.

This state park felt like it was dropped into the middle of cornfields and made for a fun drive. The sunset views and stars were awesome!

We love camping at Argyle!

Our kids love argyle for the paved roads they can easily ride bikes on, the 2 playgrounds and the room to run! We love it because of the spacious sites and options to hike and bike.

Great Spot

We are so thankful we found this park. Most occupants are simi-annual residents, but there are still several nice, quiet, shady spots to be found. Everyone is friendly. There are 2 clean but dated bathhouses available. It’s the most reasonably priced campsite that we have found so far.

My favorite spot

I’ve camped here several times at the primitive sites. It’s a decent hike in but once you get there, the view of the lake is worth it. It’s just a nice, peaceful place to camp. I’ve always been able to find a campsite since it is first come first serve. The host is very friendly and seems like he’s been the host there for years. They have canoes to rent and you’re bound to see cranes and ducks along the way. Just be weary of the geese by the reservoir because they can be moody! My boyfriend and I try to go at least once a year because we just love it there.

Nice campsite

This is a nice campsite that is just outside of town. Very good for a quick get away. Very nice host at checkin.

Nice quiet place

Nice quiet place, lots of areas to fish and take a kayak, or paddle boat.

A sandy forest that is less visited with backcountry sites

This review is for the backpacking campsites within the Sand Ridge forest. The trail is a mix of sand and soil. It’s quite an unexpected discovery in Illinois. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail but we saw cars parked so hikers were out there.

We stopped at 2 different campsites. They are just a short distance off the trail. Each was a small clearing with forest right up to the edge. A fire pit is also available. All the backpacking sites were empty so it seems that lots of options are possible.

We didn’t come across water sources so we asked the ranger. He pointed out a couple spots the have spigots or hand pumps. Be sure to have a water supply before heading out.

The longest loop is just under 15 miles but you can do different loops together to increase mileage. There is prickly pear in this area so be careful where you step. We also were told to avoid a trail because it was sandy and a tough climb. The man said he breaks horses by riding them up the hill. If this is a concern, I recommend asking around to find the best trail for you.

This is a hidden gem right in the middle of Illinois.

Nice but overpriced

30 for electric, 15 for non. The campground is nice, but others in the area are half the cost.