Chebanse, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Chebanse Camping Reviews
Decent State Park

Spent a couple nights here (site 3) for Vintage Illinois at a nearby park. Quiet, fairly level, gravel sites. Electric worn but fully functional. Lots of trees and shade. From map it looked like site 3 was isolated at end of loop - weeellll, it IS at the end of a loop - right across from camp host and adjacent to maintenance area for lock & dam - not very picturesque. Didn’t use bathhouse so can’t comment on that. Drink vending machines by bathhouse. Local guy across from entrance to park sells firewood. Site had fire ring and picnic table. One thing to note - trees drop some kinda “nuts” and when you drive over them they pop and it sounds just like you are dragging low hanging branches. I started to backing and swore I was hitting branches (even though I’d looked and knew it was clear) and DW said we were clear….

Woods near the river

Went tent camping here and reserved our spot in advance. We bought fire wood from a locals front lawn at the entrance to the state park. Put 5$ in the bin and take a bundle. Its 30 mins away from Starved Rock and Matthiesson State Park. Good hiking. The river spots are all booked by large RVs and the tent spots have grills over the fire pits and picnic tables. lots of tree cover which came in handy when it rained in the morning. Otherwise great weather and not buggy. Dogs allowed.

We love this place.

Chris has always been friendly and accommodating when we've wanted to visit.

Burndown ar Sundown ☀️ 🔥 07-13-19

Great time at the races! It was very hot but entertaining ❤️ 🏎 🎶

NHRA

Great time to camp and enjoy races!

Nice Campground

Very large campground. Many seasonal areas. Will let you set up a group of campers in a circle in grassy areas. They do an extremely large Halloween event Columbus Day weekend. Jam packed for this event. Awards for site decoration. Campsites set up haunted houses, candy for kids, drinks for adults. Fun to see adults and kids all dressed up.

Amazing views, great quick getaway from Chicago

This campground was easy peasy and had an incredible view of the lake. We were right there on the lake. We went in September so I'm not sure how it would be in the summer since there is little to no cover.

There was nice hiking and we were able to get out into the woods for a while. My friend and I were surprised that such a nice place is so close to Chicago. There is a dock and the campground had good access to water, sink, and a nice bathroom. Lots of families were there when we went. Overall would recommend.

Poor 30amp electrical service

We tried to stay in site 14 that had 30 amp service. Our TT is 30amp. Our A/C unit kept tripping the breaker on the campground pole. Our breaker inside never tripped. They had someone come out and claimed their electric was fine and our A/C was broken. Went home bc it was 95 out and our A/C ran fine off a 20amp household outlet with no issues. Reported this so it could be fixed and the office still argued that their service was fine.

Just off the interstate! Great for a stopover!

We needed to extend by a day and the office was very helpful! Had pizza delivered! Good Cell, satellite and myfi reception.

Nice place

Nice peaceful campground with decent camp sites, friendly people and fun small towns close with cool bars right on the Illini river. I have a bench I sit on by the river and I drank old style and think about my grandpa.

Bring your own shower

The following review was done by my thirteen year old daughter. I agree with the shower problems and add that it was our final cold showers in disgusting conditions that lead us to write the review.

“If I could give negative stars❌ then trust me I would. Normally I consider myself a good sport and can sit through a lot of things✌🏼 but not the showers here😡, they look like they haven’t been cleaned or cared for in months🤮 and often have no toilet paper in the bathroom stalls. When I took a shower I found a small frog🐸 in it and I wish I was joking about that. There were dead mosquitoes on the walls💀, dead moths on the floors, piles of hair on the floors🤢, and dirt in every crack. But they have a nice Rockwall🧗🏽‍♂️.”

Other than the shower issues, the campsite🏕 was fine. It was easy to level, they give you free firewood with your stay, the staff is kind😇 at checkin and during rock wall activities. The location🗺 is the main draw, as we wanted to be close enough to visit Chicago and suburbs.🙂

Nice enough for local camping

Many very nice permanent sites. We loved the dog park along with the many activities available. We come here at least once a year. Check out their information on their website.

If you want a quick local get away this is the place.

Tent camping and Fishing

We enjoyed the quiet camping. Not much to do but fish. No hook ups but they do have a dump station. Use to have a shower house but it was closed when we were there.c

Fun little campground

Had a great time this weekend camping with my wife and two boys. We camp in an Hybrid trailer and really appreciated the price point with full hookups. Sites were decent size and had fire pits at each location. They had plastic picnic tables which where light to move and easy to clean. Decently quiet camp site with a pool for the kids to cool off made for an enjoyable weekend. Close to Kankakee and some of the other towns in the area for things to do. I would definitely come again to kayak on the Kankakee river. Unfortunately the water levels where too high for this trip as warnings had been issued

Nice campground near Starved Rock

Pleasant staff, nice sites. A couple hundred acres with multiple campgrounds. Many seasonal or permanent residents. Catch and release fishing pond.

Just another weekend :)

Small campground but very friendly. A plus was the full hookups. The sights are very close together. Management is not over bearing and very friendly. Dog friendly lots of dogs this weekend nice size dog park! You overall great weekend

Fantastic car camping close to Chicago

Great site, not far from Chicago, but feels well away from city life.

Tent sites around rim of a lake. RV sites and cabins as well.

Beautiful forest surrounds the lake, lots of hiking in the surrounding enormous forest preserve. Lake has fishing and boats as well.

Nice place but water taste funny

I love the place, the sites are first come first serve with cash($12), no power outlets, no shower. If you just want to sit by the fire, or want to camp out during the hunting season, or fishing with your boat, it’s a good place to be, there are monster bass in this lake, I have got a 19-inch largemouth in 2017. Do remember to bring power source for you phone such as a power bank and water to drink, the water there taste funny.

Nothing fancy here, but friendly and professional.

This is a small, bare-bones operation, but it's safe and friendly; a great stop-over for passing through Chicagoland or Joliet. Level sites, full hook-ups. Not far from Chicagoland Speedway.

Located right on US45-US52. Lots of truck traffic stopping at the intersection makes lots of noise at night.

Great Camping and Trail Access

We’ve camped here a few times and it is always a great experience. Each site comes with a free bundle of oak firewood which is nice to use on the fire pits.

What’s great about this location is the access to the miles and mile of MTB and hiking trails just out the front step of your campsite.

We live 15 minutes away so like to take midweek camping trips to break up the work week.

The prettiest campground

I felt welcome and left well rested at this RV park. It's the prettiest campground in the Chicagoland area.

Cook County Forest Preserve

It’s probably the closest camping to downtown Chicago. About 5 years in existence. Clean facilities with a few trails. Camp Sullivan is used a lot by scouting groups. There are lots of trees and it is somewhat woodsy. The best thing to me is Jack Gibbons’s, a restaurant directly across the street.

Simple, River fun

Small and hidden right on the Illinois River. Received a free night of camping with a whole day of kayaking which is absolutely recommended. Not much to do here except camp and kayak but I will be going back.

morning time

morning breakfast after the glampout night provided by the staff good food and quite environment

Venetian tour

had my first experience of a lit up kayak tour for fireworks

Clean

Awesome place to stay when you live in the city and wanna get away

Great stop along the I&M Canal

McKinley Woods offers me a lot of nostalgia since I grew up in the area. In McKinley Woods proper there is a large camping area and two of the sites have concrete pads for ADA accessibility. Further west along the I&M Tow Path is another camp site; that's were my friends and I stayed. Three of us biked in and two hiked. The spot is more secluded than the ones in the park proper, but it still receives a lot of visitors through out the day. A person could kayak in; there is a concrete boat ramp into the Illinois river. The main draw to this place is the tow path. I high recommend bringing a bike to enjoy the trail. The trail is also part of the Grand Illinois Trail network. Fire wood is scarce near the camp site, but we were able to find plenty further up the path.

For my write up on our trip click here.

For my video click here.

peaceful

25 sites to choose from, they fill up fast on weekends so plan to make reservations early. the glampouts are a blast.

calm

if you want a nice riverfront camp site this place is perfect. they also have kayak rentals available.