Cerro Gordo, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Cerro Gordo Camping Reviews
Quiet place

Stayed overnight here… it was fairly quick of the highway. Easy in and easy out. Did check out the facilities.

Quiet place

Nice park, spacious sites, bring plenty of water hose. The water faucets for fill up can be a bit far away.. Shower house was older but was heated and water was hot.. Definately will be back again.

The Kampground is no longer a last resort.

Never really wanted to go somewhere called "The Last Resort". Just seems like they didn't want to be your first choice. But now its called "The Kampground", and it's under new ownership. The new owner has really done a fantastic job of restoring this property which was formerly a church kids camp. The bathrooms were really clean, property well maintain, staff was extremely nice and hospitable, and the area is really quiet with neighbors far enough away that any noise we made went unheard. Thanks for everything Steve!

Lovely last camping trip of the season

Giving this 4 stars for the awesomeness of the sites themselves. We were in 121. All of the sites we saw in our “loop” were super wide, all gravel and quite level. So well kept…..fire pit with grate, large picnic table….really, the site couldn’t have been better. Beautiful views of the lake! Just all-in-all a well maintained park. So, why not 5 stars? I really wanted good shore fishing and not only was it a long walk, but really not very good/easy to get to, or comfortable standing once you get there. Beautiful dog parks….one for large dogs and one for small, but again, a long walk from the campground. Not feasible for our older dog. One other thing, absolutely no lighting at night along the campground roadways. After dark, we watched a truck go into the ditch looking for the turn out (granted, the occupants sounded like they were well into partying), but the pitch darkness at night made it feel a little unsafe, especially walking the dog after dark. Still, the sites themselves are awesome.

Loved it!

Took grandkids there for the day. There’s a pool, playground, fishing pond and small arcade room. You can rent a peddle type cart that holds 4 people who all peddle. They really loved them. You can also rent golf carts.
It’s very shaded and relaxing. From the road you only see an open field with some campers in it. That appears to be mostly people who are spending time at the nearby lake. I’ve driven by it for years without realizing what was beyond that part.

Nice and quiet campground!

Nice and quiet campground, we stay there during the Illinois State Fair every August and it is about 20 mins away from the fairgrounds. Only down fall is there needs to be more rock on the sites, the sites get muddy after a rain!

Clean campground right on the lake!

Beautiful state owned campground that is well maintained and has everything you could want including mostly shaded sites that are level and have plenty of room and many sit right on the lake. There are even cabins to rent in the hickory point campground.

Words Can’t Describe This Place!

Great weekend except for the rain this morning. Can’t say enough about the hosts at this campground they are wonderful! They came through this morning during the storms just to check on the tent campers on their day off! You don’t see that most places! Only bad thing is the federal government has chose to close this campground for the next camping season which is horrible for this area! Please contact the local Us Representative to say please save this campground!

Great Place To Get Away

My first time was ruff.. just for the fact I brought my two youngins and my two dogs..That was a lil overwhelming but I did enjoyed myself.. definitely looking forward to going back..possibly without the kids or dogs

Primitive and Beautiful

Even the way here was fabulous!  If you love nature and don’t need electricity to have a good time…this place is awesome.  Nice playground and pavilion too!

Quick getaway

Great camp host!  Bathrooms are ok.  This is a small campground and park.  Never had a bad time here!

Another adventure

I thought the campsites were crammed together.  The primitive looked nicer but we were in our camper and wanted electric.  It’s a nice place but I like a little more space.

Nice camping in Shelbyville

We always enjoy ourselves here.

Beautiful campground with lake views

Very beautiful park.  Nice space between camp sites and lots of views.

One of our favorite places to camp!

We love camping here for the beauty of the lake. Had fun kayaking here too. Usually the bathrooms are cleaner than this last time which is why I gave it a 4 star. If you want a lake spot, make a reservation way in advance.

A wonderful campground

Enjoy the many beautiful shady spots and a few full hooks. The shower houses are very clean and a really nice big beach.

Great place to hike

Lots of fun trails with great views! Most trails are accessible from the parking area. Good for pictures at sunrise and sunset!

Beautiful clean state park!

If you love fishing or enjoying sunsets on a quiet lake then this campground is for you. Spacious shaded sites with many sitting right on the lake. There are even cabins to rent if that’s more your speed!

Wonderful State Campground

This is a wonderful campground with drive in availability, equestrian camp and reservable sites!  The have great camp hosts Dave and Sharon on the reservable side that will help out in anyway and are so friendly!  This campground also has boat access and a beach and hiking trails.   It is built into the woods so most lots are very shady and all are very level.

Great little park

Great camping and great fishing. Scenic little park. Tent and trailer camping here, but the real reward is in the primitive backpacking sites. Highly recommend.

Nice but...

It’s a nice campground but it’s usually insanely busy. Holidays are crazy. I’ve heard people say you can sometimes get a nice, fairly secluded spot but I haven’t had the patience to try. We honestly try to avoid large crowds.

Fun, Clean, safe for the family

Just finished our second trip/vacation here. We stayed in the rental cabins, but are in the waiting list for a seasonal site. Right next to the lake. Plenty of room for everyone, from tents to the massive RVs. The pool very clean and never gets over crowded. Staff are knowledgeable and polite. Friendly/quiet dogs allowed. Wonderful pirate ship playground. Weekend activities for the kids. Electric golf carts allowed. Very inexpensive compared to campgrounds closer to me.

Camp Ground for Fishermen

Large body of water. Not really clean enough to enjoy swimming. Campsites are a little cramped. We have stayed here a few times with our camping club.

There is a boat club near by. Gibson City has a great drive in movie theater and German Restrurant. Gibson is about 20 minutes from the camp ground.

Only electric hook ups.

Great Week-end Get-a-way

Campsites are the perfect size.
Showers are clean & the water is hot. Trails are well kept & new fishing decks are wonderful.

Nice family place

Nice place no alcohol. 'Lake' has had a lot of algae over the last couple years

Nice little campground if

A great little park close to Eastern Illinois university. A great place to camp with family and friends.

Great park with full hook ups.

Geat place to camp on Lake Shelbyville with full hook up sites. Only down fall is some of the full hook up sites are directly in the sun.

Coming Here for Years

I have been coming here for years with my family when I was younger. I took a trip alone with my tent for 4 days in May. The place is as pristine as it was when I was a kid- perfect bathhouse, beautiful lakeshore, and cozy tent camping. Plenty of wildlife to observe and wonderful fishing to be had. Great to ride a bike around, too!

Terrific State Park

Will definitely stay here again. Not that far off the interstate 70 and a great campground. Level sites with growies between sites. Cell signal is off and on, but got us through. Pulled in on a Saturday in June and have available sites. $20 per night isn't bad for a nice campground with nice showers and facilities.

Wooded Solitude / Family Friendly

Review of Drive In Tent Camping Site 2. Showed up on a Thursday night and had our pick of all the drive in and walk in sites. We decided on site 2 in the drive in area. Previous reviews and a book by John Schirle on Tent Camping in Illinois helped us with this decision as well. Decent maintained sites with some older picnic tables and fire rings, but let's be honest this stuff sits outside 24/7. Site 2 seemed to sit back the farthest with site 1 a close second. Both wooded sites that made for great shade and helped some when it was raining. Any two families looking for two sites could certainly set up and share the experience. Nice little cove behind them to try fishing. Just watch the hike down the path or ravine. Dog friendly, fresh water supply (hint put the handle all the way up and wait a few seconds), ability to store stuff in the car close by, outhouse toilets visible at the walk in parking lot, and helpful host for easy check in who even sells fire wood made for a great few days ($5 a bundle). Rated B/S site at a cost of $10 a night.