Alhambra, ILLINOIS
Most Recent Alhambra Camping Reviews
Great place to camp and kayak in the city

We love going here and watching the sunsets. This is a great place to kayak and camp if you don’t want to drive that fare and live in the city.

Wonderful location

Stayed at site 6. Had full hookups, plenty of space, lots of shade, and a wonderful view. The site is level and also has a picnic table and fire ring. Overlooks the marina so you can watch boats come and go. Would definitely stay again.

Great experience!

Big things happening at Country Bend Campgrounds in Montrgromy Co, IL. This beautiful campground has many things to offer and is only a few minutes from the local drive in movie theater in Litchfield Illinois. It has a pool, swing sets, playground, cabins, ponds with stocked fish, beautiful walking trails, camping, welcome center, baseball field, volleyball, games, horseshoes, paddle boats, miniature golf, and so much more. This family run business is under new management and is welcoming new seasonal campers and day campers with competitive pricing. This beautiful campground is nestled in a scenic area in the country and is pet friendly. It has clean shower houses with warm water. We just purchased our seasonal campsite earlier in the season. Come check out this amazing campground and all it has to offer! Our rough collies will be joining us at this dog friendly campground! There is always something to do here and the owners strive to make it a family place by providing many activities on the weekends. The owners have done an amazing job on this campground and have made it one of the best campgrounds around to create that lasting experience with our children before they grow up!!!

Clean, Friendly Campground

We stayed there July 4th weekend we had a great time.  Everyone was friendly they had many activities plus a swimming pool, putt putt golf, paddle boats and fishing.  It rained our 1st night there we had a big mud hole asked if there was anyway to get rock and they brought rick to get it dry for us.  Already booked our next weekend there.  Can’t wait to see how the improve the campground.

Spacious

Primitive tent camping area is very spacious but bathrooms were dirty and gross.  The women’s bathroom near T3 didn’t have toilet paper the entire three days we stayed there.  I drove to other restrooms while we stayed there.   Shower house was nice, with one small shower stall and large ADA shower stall.  Camp host was friendly and helpful. The campground is just a few minutes from Carlinville Walmart and restaurants.

Family Fun Campground

Activities, entertainment and friendly. Small pool and bathhouse could use some attention.

Camping Without Equal

This place is unlike any other. Very clean, usually quiet, rangers drive through everyday making sure all is well with everyone. There is swimming, fires, biking, walking, pretty much everything you’d need when one thinks of camping. Very decently priced. There is something for everyone whether you have just a tent, or a pop up, or a full size RV! If you camp, this HAS to be a place you at least try. Amazing people.

Interesting short stop

This place has a lot of permanent campers on site. Very friendly crowd though

Good for a quick stop

No grass and crushed limestone. Nice pool. Friendly people.

Campgrounds close to Pere Marquette Lodge. Is located just north of Grafton that has many food and drink and antique shops. Campground is on the Illinois River with the Mississippi River nearby. Park has a boat launch and harbor.  Campground has electric only and has a dump station. Most sites are spacious. Sites can be reserved on Reserve America.

We camp here every summer!

We love Lake Carlyle and Dam West is a great place to camp. CLEAN (and air conditioned) bath houses. The sites are beautiful and well maintained! Great place to bike, hike, and swim at the beach. Close to Wal-Mart and McDonalds!! 😉

Nice park!

This is a very nice park. The spaces are a bit close together and not many trees but I've been to worse. The not many trees is do to it still being a fairly new campground. The lake is nice and they have some spots close to it. The only real complaint was that it was a bit of a wind tunnel. I don't know if that is because of were it sits between the river/lake and a levee for the river or because it was spring time and windy anyway.

There is a lot to do here. They have an archery range. The rent out peddle boats, bikes and peddle cars/buggies as well. We rented a peddle buggy. Those are a lot harder to get moving then they look. Awesome workout for the whole family!

Very nice

Right next to Carlyle Lake. Clean campground with electric sites only. Reservations available on line at Reserve America.

Another Wonderful COE Campground

We visit this campground on a regular basis. Large waterfront campsites, full hookup loop, and 4 other large loops that have electric. Nice new bath house for those who need it. This is a COE campground and takes our senior pass. If you are needing a full hookup site, make sure you book early!
Great campground for taking long walks and bike rides.

Our Favorite Campground!!!

We have been visiting this campground for 4 years! The campground has it all. Full hookups, reservable sites, walk up sites, and all sites are large! Full hookup sites are booked solid so make sure you go online 6 months out or you are out of luck. The campground is perfect for taking long walks and bike riding.
There are two swimming pools close by but none in the campground.
This is a COE campground and takes our senior pass. This is, by far, one of the nicest campgrounds we have been to and we are so fortunate that it’s so close to home.

Clean, trains, slow wifi

We stayed in a tent spot… Had shade and a nice concrete pad to park on. Good clean power. Clean bathrooms and pool looked like it was taken care of.

Tent spots have Charcoal grills, table and benches, and a nice metal cover to sit under if it rains.

It's not in the prettiest location, very industrial and the train tracks run close. First night one came through blowing its horns around 5am.

Spent the day in Forest park, a much prettier place to park and explore.

First come first serve!

This is an ACOE so it is inexpensive and clean😊. There's lots of shade, level lots and waterfront sites. Though there is no water access on each site, it's not far from anyone. Tents are permitted on grass, which you will want to do because the pads have a large gravel on them. Sites are not reservable and campground has been crowded the entire time I have been here. Two weeks is the maximum stay. And it is enforced. [$18 per night]. They do accept America the beautiful pass.

Squatters

Ranger Pioneer Mission Ranger and Product Review : RovR RollR 60 at Contryside Escape Worden, Il

Campground Review: I picked Contryside Escape https://www.hipcamp.com/illinois/grove-on-top-possum-hill/contryside-escape from the Illinois Pioneer List. The reservation was done through Hipcamp https://www.hipcamp.com/ which was fairly easy. Though in some cases you have to write something about yourself and be approved by the Host. Reminds me of a B&B but BYOT. The Host , was very accommodating and showed me the entire area as I was the only one camping and had my pick of the area. There is a secluded area on the backside of the pond near the road however I decided on a more open area under some of the trees because there was weather coming in. The host suggested I pull my truck in so I wouldn’t need to carry all my things in. Did I mention your camping around a pond?! Pro: sound#5 on your wave machine “croaking, chirping frogs” (bring ear plugs ;) Con: MOSQUITOES! Don’t forget your bug spray ! So basically your camping in the hosts front yard, to use the necessary you have to go in the house. The door was left unlocked, (I knocked every time and then entered) up the stairs , down the dark hallway (sorta scary movie-ish) and feel around for the light switch in the bathroom. Clean bathroom , HOT water, I would not take a shower , that’s just me and my creepy factor. (I’m not saying that the host or house is creepy I’m saying I make stuff creepy with my over imaginative mind.) The fence around the camping area is not complete , if your dogs mind they can be off leash. First night sounded like there was a shooting range nearby, and frogs . I visited St Louis ( about 30 minute drive) the next day and returned to sit in the shade and relax…….Once again , your in a front yard and there is a neighbor right there. I think he was working on a motor and then his mower. So not much peace and quiet until almost sundown. It was comfortable weather and enjoyable all the same. Second night coyotes nearby, and frogs. No picnic tables. Lawn chairs and a big fire area plus fire ring in the secluded area.$5 for a rick?? of wood. I would visit again with friends next time. No good State Parks nearby, you would need to travel over an hour.

Product Review: RovR https://rovrproducts.com/ I do like my RollR 60. LOVE the color and look. The add-on’s are pretty spectacular for convenience. There’s a cool selection of foldable box’s which I picked for an add-on. Now all that said, the price is a bit exuberant in my opinion. Compared to like coolers it’s about the same price range. I packed some ice the night before I left to pre-cool the cooler. Some melt but not bad. I packed the food and a cold pack and had room to spare. Cool feature is a “dry box” so any melt doesn’t saturate anything. The RovR is heavy before you pack it so the wheels are definitely a plus. The RovR rode in the truck so the temperature was kept moderate until we arrived. Once at the campsite it sat out , in the shade the rest of the trip. Everything stayed cold and two days later after traveling back home (5 hrs) there was still a frozen chunk in my cold pack.

Small

Tight spots and dirty looks. Regulars welcome, everyone else stay home .

Wine time!

Great CG near Grafton! Easy drive and several winery’s. Nice trails as well!

Good time was had

Went in late April and had a good time with not ideal weather. Kid had a blast at playground with other kids. Cold showers but said they were looking into it. Shut down some karaoke party in a loop around 9pm. Will go back.

Decent campground

Basic amenities,  bath house just ok, bad showers,  fishing not great

Worst campground we’ve ever been to

This campground has changed owners multiple times, and is sorely in need of renovation.  The sites are sunk down, poorly rocked and extremely narrow.  The majority of sites are backup only, which is a recipe for disaster with all of the rain central Illinois has had this Spring.  Be prepared for mud and standing water.  4wd a must

Great picnic area

Best COE to date

Clean. Friendly staff. Beautiful area

Best COE campground

Very, very clean. Beautiful area. Friendly staff

Nice

We just stayed one night so didn’t take advantage of most of the amenities but very nice people, clean sites. Sites a little close but overall we would stay again.

The bonus is the fried chicken

Great little campground just outside of Grafton, Illinois, on the Mississippi River. The campground is located in an open grove of old trees. There were owls when we were there. In winter there are a lot of eagles feeding in the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers which meet at the park. The Lewis & Clark expedition started nearby. Most of the sites were fairly level, but I didn’t see any pull through sites. Lots of hiking trails, and the lodge has one of the best fried chicken dinners around on Sunday.

Lakeside camping

Ranger Review Primus LiTech Trek Kettle at Dam West Campground

Campground Review

What a great campground on the shore of Carlyle Lake! Right next to the marina and with many sites right on the lake, you can’t go wrong here. Sites looked a bit more level on the inside of the loop than the lakeside sites, but I guess that’s the price you pay for real estate. My site was not the most level, but only steps from the beach with a few trees that might work for hammocking. The site was really clean and had plenty of space, with a nice paved parking pad, fire pit, picnic table, and electric hook up (all sites have electric!). Across the drive was a nice amphitheater and playground and a basic bathroom. The fairly clean shower house for the whole campground is up near the entrance (it also has a laundry room, but I did not check it out). The campground host for this summer is super nice and is likely to visit for a bit as he buzzes around on his scooter. There is a bike path that goes right past the campground that was busy all weekend with bikers, runners, and walkers, and takes you from the shower house to the marina in just a short walk.

Gear Review

Primus LiTech Trek Kettle As a Ranger for The Dyrt, from time to time I get new gear to review. On this camping trip I tested out the Primus LiTech Trek Kettle. I have to say, this may be my new favorite cooking pot. It is the perfect size for one person (which works well as I frequently camp solo). I used it to heat up some frozen chili for dinner and then used it again in the morning to heat water for oatmeal. Here’s what I liked:

• The kettle holds just a bit more than a liter of water (or chili), which is about all you need to make coffee, heat large single servings of food, or just about anything
  • It’s non-stick, so clean-up is a breeze and doesn’t retain odors
  • The handles fold out and are easy to grip, and fold around the pot for easy out of the way storage
  • Its super light weight (perfect for backpacking)
  • Even though it was taller than wide, water heated up in it very quickly
  • My little fuel canister fits inside perfectly with almost no rattling
  • Primus included a nice carrying bag that fits the pot and has a small bit of room to spare Here’s what baffled me:
  • The lid doubles as a tiny nonstick frying pan. But it is big enough for maybe one egg. It is so small that I am not exactly sure what you could make in it. I understand the desire to make the lid “usable”, but maybe a regular lid with a colander built in would have been more useful.
  • The lid is not a great fit, and when packing up for storage, it kept sliding off.

Despite the weird frying pan lid, I am really happy with the LiTech Kettle. It meets all of my needs in a lightweight package. It is easy to clean up, packs small, has good handles, and is a great addition to my camp cooking arsenal.

Dark sky, great stargazing

This is a small lake management by the state of Illinois. The campground is usually not crowded, but some weekends do get busy. There is a shower/bathroom that was clean each time we were there. Water and electric is available at most sites. The campground is pretty far from any big metro area, so the sky was real dark, great for picking out constellations. We listened o Whip-por-will calls around the campfire.