The best WALK IN camping near
Trilby , FLORIDA

Most Recent Trilby Camping Reviews
Campsite #14 - Not a Good Site on The Weekend

Starkey is an amazing spot. After having such a good time recently at campsite #9, I decided to venture back.

The site was spacious and many trees to hammock from, but the best part was the field directly in back of the site that is easily accessible. Bathroom was also directly across from site. Unfortunately, these were really the only good things about site #14.

Site #14 is practically on top of 13 and 15 giving very little privacy.

IF YOU ARE HOPING FOR PEACE AND QUIET, DO NOT GO ON A WEEKEND

I went on a Friday night, and the entire campground was PACKED. Very loud, too many tents packed into each site (2 maximum per site, saw almost 8 tents at campsite 12). Though the field behind 14 is super nice, on a Friday night, all I could hear were screaming cars blazing on Starkey blvd.

Over all, this would have been a great site to stay at had it been during the week.

Great Manatee and bird watching opportunities at this quaint campsite.

This was the first stop after picking up our Caravel Airstream (from Airstream of Tampa). The campground is quaint, clean and easy to find however the spots are a bit tight and spaced fairly closely together. "Backing in' to spot #49 was a bit of a challenge as this is a fairly new hobby for us! Everyone we met was super friendly. The campsite has their own dock (next to the Trading Post) where you can rent canoes and kayaks. You can see manatees and numerous native birds.  We will absolutely be back!

Update

I just wanted to update the review. As of mid January, 2021…sites are covid spaced, no host, all sites are reserve only .

I have camped here several times, in different seasons. Late spring into summer river is high and fast. This time of year low and slow. By March/April its really low. Now, in mid Jan, its still easy to get to the "lake" , later on you may have to portage a short way depending on rainfall.

Camping there has always been fun, its almost dry camping, shower's hot. Not for big rigs (go to silver lake) no elec. $15 + fee

Campsites are actually on the Little Withlacoochee river..with makes a junction with the… Withlacoochee!

Stayed twice

Relaxing and scenic. Good trails. Kayaks/Canoes available to rent. Bathrooms and showers were always clean.

The best!!!

Love this place so many trails

Camp Site # 9

Starkey’s Campground has everything you could want or need. Friendly staff, plenty of critters, and beautiful trails to walk.

Campsite #9 has so far been my most favorite spot here. It’s VERY spacious (could easily fit 5 large tents here) and the back of the site has a trail that leads directly to The McNeil Homestead. If you’re looking for a bit of a spook, I highly suggest walking this at night time.

This campsite is the only one that has a turning grill on the fire pit, so you won’t have to bring any cooking gear.

Great place to camp, especially site # 9.

Very nice

The place is very quiet and nice. Restrooms are very clean. Right by the trails. We stay here every year. The pond seems clean enough for a swim.

Love this place !

Small,quiet, and out of the way in the middle of the Withlacoochee State Forest. Only 27 sites with water and electric and a dump station on the way out. All sites have fire pit with grill, picnic table and level cement pad. We had a large beautiful oak on our site. Lots of hiking and hunting if you want it. Way out in the forest yet near to town. A campground for tents or RV. They have a clean, well maintained bathroom and recycling at the trash house. Fenced and gated (I assume to keep pets and people safe from the wildlife). Kinda sketchy cell service. I only wish we had more time here. A change of plans left only one night. And I was unable to get reservations to extend our stay for longer. So plan well ahead of time.

Walk in primitive sites, as swampy as it gets

There are normal drive in sites and primitive hike-in sites.

Hiked in the mile or so to the primitive sites -- pack everything you need in. HELLA skeeters in the woods, bring high DEET spray. We went after it had rained and about a quarter of the trail was basically a mudpit. We were the only ones out there, which was great!

Canoe or kayak down the river is a must do! Gators, turtles, lots of birds and all downstream so pretty lowkey paddle.

Love!!!!

Love everything about this park. It was gorgeous, clean, spacious, friendly, and so fun. We didn’t go check out the amenities really, it was too cold. But, taking a boat to the magic kingdom adds to the magic of the park. My dog loved the dog park. We went at Christmas time and everyone’s campsite was all decorated with blow up and Disney and festive Christmas lights. We don’t have any children but still felt the magic of it. I’d totally recommend staying there if you’re in Orlando and wanting to go to Disney.