The best camping in
Delaware

Camping Delaware

With more than 150 miles of trails, great coastal and inland fishing, and 20 state parks and forests, there are plenty of choices for camping in Delaware. Whether you like the convenience of an RV or the simplicity of a tent, camping in Delaware has many of options for outdoorsy visitors.

The most popular campground is Delaware Seashore State Park, a beach park just a few minutes' drive from the summer hotspot of Dewey Beach. Tent campers and RVers alike love the closeness to the Atlantic beaches and the calm coastal bays – six miles of sand and sun just steps away from your chosen campsite, with plenty of full-hookup spots.

During the summer, Delaware Seashore has beach wheelchairs available first-come, first-serve, and mobility mats allow standard wheelchairs access at Towers Ocean and South Inlet locations. For family members or friends who want to have a beach experience but don’t like camping, the Cottages at Indian River Inlet are a great close-by relaxing destination.

Many also campers like to enjoy the restaurants, bars and nightlife in Dewey Beach, about a mile north of the park. Dewey Beach offers plenty of watersports, eateries, dancing and live music for a great change of pace from a day of sunning and swimming.

A few miles north along Delaware’s Route One is Cape Henlopen State Park, a dream spot for lovers of nature and history. Formerly a World War II fort – Delaware’s shoreline is dotted with old military fire control towers – Cape Henlopen offers access to both calm Delaware Bay waters and Atlantic surf, as well as miles of shady wooded trails for hiking and bicycling through coastal marshes. Camping in Delaware at Cape Henlopen means you’re tucked into sandy woodland sites with picnic tables, campfires and plenty of pine trees, with small cottages also available.

If you're looking to escape summer crowds but still enjoy the beach, campers can drive about 10 miles south to Fenwick Island State Park, featuring three miles of beaches on the barrier island. Known as the "Quiet Beach," the ocean and bayside park is sandwiched between Ocean City, Maryland, and the "Quiet Resorts" of Bethany Beach, South Bethany, and Fenwick Island.

If the beaches aren’t your speed, the state has plenty of inland parks and forests which offer a range of opportunities and fun for camping in Delaware - from Trap Pond’s primeval-looking water trails perfect for canoeing and kayaking to Lums Pond’s treetop daredevil ropes course and ziplines. Wherever your plans take you, The Dyrt is your guide to the best tips, tricks and insider advice for a great time camping in Delaware.

Recent Reviews in Delaware
By far the best state park camping in Delaware

Huge sites and full hookups make the stay here comfortable and relaxing. On average, one site is as big as 2-3 sites anywhere else. The grounds are super clean and staff is friendly. There is plenty do do, mountain biking, fishing, and all sorts of other activities. Anyone would love it here.

Great family campground !

Trap pond is a great place to stay. Lots to do, including hiking boating, and biking. Clean bathrooms. Very family oriented.

Stayed here years ago...

When I was younger and on a family trip. I loved staying here as a kid! I actually forgot it was in Delaware since it’s so close to where we grew up as kids in jersey!

Peaceful

We went here right before everything was closed down. We had a pull thru spot which all were in loop D. Site 25 was perfect for our 22ft. Site 23 was perfect for our siblings 25 ft. Sites were far apart but not shielded from each other. No growth between sites. 25 is the end site so we had on one on one side. There is a big playground, bathhouse, docks into pond on each loop, hiking trails, a pavilion, and free bike rentals. We’re going back in the fall and staying in C loop in a back in site that faces the pond. I can’t wait!

Loved it!

Friendly staff. Nice bathroom and shower facilities.

Went in the blazing heat of the summer. Mosquitoes and other insects well controlled in camping area and near nature center. Eaten alive by critters on back side of trail.

Great experince

It was very clean, well maintained, trails were beautiful

Nice family campground

We stayed here for two nights during a three day trip to Rehoboth beach. Very reasonably priced and had a lot for the kids to do. It’s a short drive to the beach and close to the major road with all the restaurants and stores. Pool and bathrooms were well maintained. I would stay here again if in the area.

Great park

Very family friendly park. Close proximity to the beach. Lots of family friendly activities. Full stocked camp store.

Relaxing and beautiful

We had a great last camping trip of the season at this State Park. There are 6 loops with 10 sites in each and then a primitive camp area. The loops are small and sites are close but I didn’t feel cramped and many sites were angled in a way that you weren’t staring at your neighbors camper or tent. We were in D 05 and had a view of the pond through the fall foliage. Our relatives had site 02 and felt cramped but I thought it was fine. All sites had electric and water! The trail around the lake was awesome with some slight inclines but mostly flat. There were short spurs to scenic spots of the pond. Total walked was 4 miles. The trail is just behind the loops so it was easy access. There was a Nature center that was beautiful. They offer boat rentals but that was closed. There was a hayride and bonfire on Saturday night but we didn’t go. A very large field is across from the loops where kids could play. Bathhouses were large with 4 stalls and 4 showers. Firewood is sold at entrance $6/bundle. Store was small. Staff was very friendly. I took pics and video of loop D only.

Beautiful Delaware scenery

Ranger Review: HeadSpin Convertible Light System at Trap Pond State Park

Campground Review:

We enjoy camping in the off or shoulder season more than peak because the campgrounds are quieter, however, sometimes this means we cannot enjoy the full amenities a place has to offer. At Trap Pond, we missed being able to rent a canoe, kayak, or paddleboat by a week. Free bike rentals were still available (donations accepted) so we were able to take a ride around the pond (about 4.5 miles). There are four loops plus cabins and yurts. All sites appeared level and some have a view of the pond. Bathhouses were very clean, including the showers. When we were there, they were delivering a new bath and shower facility to one of the loops. Although I did not check it out, there is also a laundry facility. The camp staff was extremely friendly and helpful and there is also a small store for t-shirts and essentials. We only stayed for one night but would definitely consider returning at a time when we could rent a boat to be able to see the Cypress trees up close.

----------------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the awesome opportunity to occasionally test products. At this campground, we tested the HeadSpin Convertible Light System by Headspin Outdoors. The first thing I noticed when I unboxed my HeadSpin was how compactly it was fit into its semi-hard, zippered carrying case. That said, however, if packing space is at a premium, you may want to decide which elements you want to use before taking a trip to reduce what you pack. Although intuitive to figure out how to use, there were no instructions (maybe missing from mine?). Because of this, I was not sure when the unit was fully charged (the green light was flashing and did not change to solid, but the unit seemed to be charged). We travel in a campervan, so we have USB and electric charging capabilities while camped but if you are tent camping, make sure everything is charged before you leave home (or, if you are driving a distance to your campground, you can charge it in your car using the USB port). Assuming the flashing green light indicates it is charged, this process did not take very long.

There is one light that can be attached to three base options: flashlight, headlamp, and bicycle mount. There are three light strength options, as well as a wide or narrow beam, and a strobe setting. The light is attached via magnets and I found it very easy to attach and detach the light from the different mounts. We also used the light as a stand-alone magnetic mount on our van door and on the metal lantern post; making the magnet system very versatile.

I have a favorite flashlight I have used for over 10 years, so it was going to take a lot to convince me to change. I was very pleased with the HeadSpin flashlight– it is very lightweight and easy to hold, however, a strap would be helpful. My husband thought the strap was necessary since the handle was so slender (this was a plus for my smaller hands!). Also, there was a warning in the packaging about how strong the light is and not to place it face down while on. Because of the design of the flashlight, I would likely have done this, so this warning was good to include.

We had recently used headlamps on a guided trip and had considered buying them to add to our supplies, so I eagerly looked forward to trying this one out. Although it worked fine, it was a bit bulkier/heavier than the headlamp I recently used. I used it to go to the restroom and to cook dinner and wash dishes in the dark; the more I used it, the more comfortable I became with it.

We don’t travel/camp with bicycles, so we were not able to try this mount. I rarely bike at night (if I can help it!) so not sure I would use this option, but it is a good addition, as I know many do bike in the dark.

Overall, I really liked giving the HeadSpin a try. I loved the flashlight, and the packaging is top-rate, however, it is pricey, so it is an investment. Picking up a battery-operated flashlight to find the batteries were dead would convince me it is worth the price! I think campers who like gadgets will like this product very much.