Smyrna, DELAWARE

Most Recent Smyrna Camping Reviews
Friendly Staff / Great Location

One of favorite spots! This is the second year we've stayed here. We had a scenic site along the Brandywine River. We had a great couple of families stay next to us and our kids made quick friends with their's. They played in the woods, road bike, jumped on the air mattress the campground has, and many rounds of Gaga Ball.

There is also a great run for the dogs to get off the leash for a bit. Our German Shepard made many a friend there. It served as a great place to meet other families as well as a great way to tire our pooch OUT.

We also did some hiking along the train tracks that boarder the campground. I regret not taking advantage of renting one of the KOA's canoes and floating down the Brandywine. There is something special about Chester County that is hard to find anywhere else. So much history and beauty everywhere you go within the county. We will return and are looking forward to it already.

Cute and Quaint place!

We stayed here for one night and it was awesome! The campground is a little dated… but the tent site we had was perfect. Great hammocking trees :)

Great place for easy camping

The campsite was very convenient. The fire pit had an attached grill for easy cooking if you do not have a grill yourself. Each site is tamped down with sand for your tents to rest on and can fit a single car comfortably. The only thing that might not be great for some is that you are rather close to other sites. This wasn’t a bother for us. There was a water sticker for cleaning and boiling as well as an honor system firewood shed. Nearby is a small lake where you can rent canoes. Would return!

Nice, spacious campground in DE

This State park campground is very well maintained. The staff is friendly. Quiet, clean area and had no problem navigating in our 40’ 5th wheel. Great place to stay and check out “Lower, slower Delaware.”

Stay here when visiting Philly!

This is a very nice KOA, just over the Delaware River from Philly. The park is clean, quiet, full of families. The staff are friendly and welcoming. It’s easy to navigate to the park from the interstate, and big rigs fit easily. I would definitely plan to stay here to visit Philly!

A nice campground, but a few caveats

We went in Mid-October as a weekend shakedown trip for our new camper. As NJ locals were looking to test out this campground near the shore. While the campground has its perks, we were put off by the behavior of the seasonal campers. Overall, we will not be returning.

Pros

• Super friendly and helpful staff
  • Clean facilities
  • Proximity to Cape May \ Wildwood
  • Activities for kids

Cons

• The golf carts were the absolute worst, people don’t obey the speed limit on these things (and there are a lot of them whizzing around…) Many were driven by underage kids (against rules, but clearly not enforced). Carts also frequently blasted inappropriate music.
  • Unsupervised kids that misbehaved
  • Our car and camper were egged (see point above) other non-seasonal campers around us were egged as well
  • Very small camper spots
  • Seasonal campers
Awesome

I went to Elk Neck at the end of September. This place was super clean, really nice sites, and the trails were awesome. I would absolutely go back. I only gave it 4 stars because I was only there for 2 days and wasn’t able to experience everything.

Not what I’m use too

This campground is mostly seasonal campers that keep to themselves. Not much for the kids, they do have a pool and small playground. There is a nice pier and boat ramp. Bathrooms by the pool are nice and clean did not check the second bathhouse but was told you needed a code to access it. No cable or internet and cell service for att, sprint, and T-Mobile was spotty. I can’t say anything bad about the place other then there is nothing to do or activities for the kids but if you would like to get away from it all and do a little fishing this is the place. You have to drive at least 20 minutes to find food and things to do.

Very friendly, clean, nice store, extra helpful!!

This was our first time camping with our new to us pop up trailer and we decided to stay local Incase we ran into any problems!  We ended up pulling in after dark since we both ended up working late and took us about 1 1/2 hours to set up our water and electrical lines were short from where we parked and they lent us loaners for the weekend. Owners were extremely nice and helped us tremendously!  They have kayaking and tubing available with their own transport 2,3 and 5 hour trips and you come right back down to the campsite!!  Bring your own and just pay a small transport fee.  We will go back and do the kayaking for sure!! We had a beautiful weekend and the camp activities were great for the kids!!  Can’t wait to go back!!

It’s ok

Stayed here once a year for the past three years but this is the first time I feel I need to write a review. I felt like I was bothering the front desk by checking in. The golf carts driven by minors speeding through the park. The water stank and was straight brown. The site itself was ok and it had a concrete pad The dirt/sand roads were horrible. The pool was heated

Close to all the good stuff

We've stayed here 2 years in a row. We returned due to all the activities the campground offers for the kids. A nice lake with a giant inflatable slide, floating trampoline, kayak and paddle board rentals. A decent pool that tends to get a bit crowded, but does the trick. We had a blast with a golf cart rental. The campground is rather large, so it felt like a necessity to have a secondary way of getting around easily as a family. Plus it made checking out the entire campground manageable. Bathhouses were clean and well maintained. The campground is a short 5 minute drive from Cape May. Which is also a big reason we've returned. Sunset Beach, The Open Air Mall, and the charm of victorian Cape May are all great reasons to visit.

Beautiful Camping Location

This campground is very family friendly. We saw so many children running around having a great time! They have fairly many camp sites with an amazing view. Unfortunately we did not reserve our site in time to get one of the better ones. We still could see the water but not right water front. We enjoyed hiking the Beaver Marsh Trail. From our campsite we had to drive to a trail head but there were a few sights that had direct access. Also the lighthouse trail is a must. It is about a five minute drive to get to the trail though, but is worth it! The camp host were very friendly and were actually in charge of keeping the bathrooms clean (which they did excellent at)! The bathrooms were nothing fancy but I was impressed with the cleanness. I would definitely recommend giving this campground a try!

Nice place

This is our first stay at this Thousand Trails resort.

We had a reservation that we made using the App. The app did not allow us to book a stay starting on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday so we checked in on Sunday. The reason i mention this is that when set up in our site our neighbor told us that there were plenty of empty sites all the previous week - he stays here frequently and recommended calling rather than using the Thousand Trails app.

Next note - the resort did not reserve a particular site and suggested that we drive around and select the one we liked. That was ok and we got a nice level site with a concrete pad under the picnic table. Partially shaded. Consideration - As we have a class B unit we will be in and out of the site - we needed some way to designate that the site was taken if we went out. The resort did not plan for this ( see later note ) but they did come out and give us a length of caution tape to us to block the site.

This is a fairly large place. The sites are clean but small. Far and away this resort is used by seasonal and cabin campers. They only have a few ( maybe 25 or so) transient sites which they seem to allocate on on a first come first serve basis. If you have a class b and plan to go in an out i recommend you bring some sort of indicator to mark your site as occupied.

We came in late September so the pool was closed but the lake side beach was still open. The beach was clean and had beach chairs.

The camp store has limited offerings, was not open on Mon and Tue, and closed at 4. This may have been because we were late in the season.

Friendly staff, great facilities, nice park!

I camped here for just 1 night during a work trip, and was pleasantly surprised with how nice it all was. I was a walk-up with no reservation and since it was a weekday the ranger gave me a great rundown of the best spots in the camp and let me drive through to check them out before going back with my decision! I chose site 26 I believe, it was very private from neighbors and the road, surrounded by beautiful mature trees, and just the right distance from the restrooms.

Restrooms were fairly clean, had flush toilets, electricity, and hot running water showers!! Since I had to look presentable for work the next day I had sent planned on doing much hiking (hot and humid June) but with the revelation of showers!!! I went for a lovely 3 mile evening hike on the trail just down the hill behind the campsite. Scared a bunch of deer (ok they scared me!!) and checked out the giant old growth trees, hiked over a bridge and stream which was full of fish I could see! Turned around after I got to the Susquehanna itself. The river was running pretty high and fast, pretty cool to see.

Overall, cool spot! Will stay again!!

Pretty park, but noisy and dated

Site Details: We stayed on site#19 in Loop B(the electric loop). Our site was large, very level, and surrounded by pine and hardwood trees. All sites in this loop were fairly spread out, with ample tree separation between each one. I don’t think there was a bad site in the loop.

Facilities/Overall Park: The loop had a wonderful, heated bath house which was centrally located and a very short walk from our site. It looked to be recently built(or renovated), and was impeccably clean with very nice-looking showers(which we didn’t use this time). However, there were only 3 stalls and 2 showers, so I imagine the lines could get pretty long during peak season. There was also a nice outdoor dishwashing sink on the exterior of the bath house.

The park itself is rather small, but very pretty and(mostly) peaceful. It’s set on the Choptank River and Watts Creek, with a great amphitheatre and walking trails with beautiful water views. There is also a nature center(which was closed for the season), as well as several pavilions and playgrounds scattered throughout the park. The pavilions were in definite need of a facelift, and the playgrounds were older but decent.

While the park was very quiet and enjoyable during the day, unfortunately I couldn’t say the same for nighttime and early morning. The first night, we were awoken several times by the very loud firehouse siren from the neighboring town of Denton. It sounded like one of those older air raid-type sirens, with a really loud, jarring windup. My husband looked it up the next day, and discovered that Denton does in fact use that old fashioned alarm system to signal any type of emergency. In addition, we heard very loud gunshots from nearby goose hunters right at sunrise. So, you may luck out if you camp outside of hunting season and there are no overnight emergencies during your stay.:)

Martinak is a sister park to the larger Tuckahoe State Park(about 10-15 minutes down the road), and the two parks share and co-host many events between both facilities, mostly during peak season. Upon check-in, the(extremely friendly) rangers handed us a map and calendar of events for both parks.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: The small town of Denton is about 5 minutes outside the park, with a Walmart, a few chain and standalone restaurants, plenty of gas stations, and most modern conveniences. St. Michael’s, a very quaint and popular tourist destination, is about 45 minutes away.

Overall, while this a very pretty park with nicely wooded and spaced-out sites, we prefer the neighboring Tuckahoe SP for its slightly better trails, nicer day-use area with newer playground, and(most importantly) lack of midnight sirens.

Good spot in Cape May

Tent site was fantastic, level, trees are well trimmed, but still with good coverage, sites are a nice size. Close enough to the bathroom and water options. Campground well appointed. Nice pool, clean showers, quarters for a shower. We paid $40 night in almost mid September. Its just faucets for water, no sinks for a dishwashing station. You are in a busier campground with lots of RVs, travel trailers and vacation rentals, so its not some peaceful small state campground. Only complaint really would be the folks who drove their golf  carts like maniacs. Some enforcement from management would be good there.

Our absolute favorite camping spot

My husband and I tent camped here a few times and fell in love with this place. We bought an RV this year and have been to Cape Henlopen twice already. The sites are all a good size and even though the campsite is usually always packed, everyone is super friendly and respectful of each other. People respect the rules and keep to themselves, but will wave and say hello a lot in passing. It’s a very comforting environment. The newly built bathhouses are great! They’re always clean and I’ve yet to not get a hot shower, even though they get used a lot. Best of all, the campsite is dog friendly! Our two dogs love it here - the smells, trails, the nice people, the water bowl outside of the camp store. The beaches also allow dogs, depending on the season or time of day. The trails are awesome and easy to walk or ride bikes on, with a few hills to muscle up, but it’s mostly flat terrain and paved. There’s a nature center nearby that also lets you borrow a bike for free if you didn’t bring your own. The smell of pine trees and ocean is instantly soothing. You can also ride your bike or drive to the beach, which is beautiful. The bathhouse and concession stand at the beach is very nice. Sunset on the beach is absolutely serene.

Close to Philly

Stayed here in our RV. It was the closest campground to Philly so we called a Lyft to get us into the city. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We also filled our propane tank here The restrooms were immaculate compared to most campgrounds.

Small but clean and friendly

Small but very clean campground. Great swimming pool. Lots of activities planned for kids over weekends. Hay ride etc.

Favorite in Delaware

I’ve stayed at Cape Henlopen several times. We are tent campers and have stayed in both car sites and tent walk in sites. The new bath house and camp store are a great upgrade. Book reservations earlier than you would expect, this place fills quickly. Sites vary in privacy, some are more heavily wooded than others. One downside is the use of generators, they can be annoying. The location allows for hiking and beach visits plus you are close to both Lewes and Rehoboth.

Great little fishing pond !

Caught some really great fish here while camping . Canoeing is great . Very clean amenities

Close to boardwalk

Campground has decent space at the campsites but you’ll be looking at your neighbors. Nice pool and some of the best looking seasonal Ive seen decked out with tiki bars, etc. Close to the boardwalk and beach.

Clean

Kids had great fun at water park . It's well kept and reasonably priced.

Very nice people.

Nice quiet campground. Older but clean . Nice cabins

Very nice state park

Very clean . Great amenities! On the water. You can rent canoes . Sites do not have sewer but does have dump. Great park that offers alot!

Great State Park Campground

Plenty to do: Trails for biking and hiking, rentals (canoes, kayaks, paddle boats), Go Ape zip lines, playgrounds, fishing piers, and more. Well maintained, clean and friendly camp hosts. Sites are huge and most are level.  We stay here a few times throughout the year and have never been disappointed with the campground.

Enjoyed our stay

Stayed here for the first time. Very nice. Will definitely be back!

Loooove it

It's really chill for a place not far away

warm friendly people quiet and clean

easy to hike bike and all stores beautiful lake and boating