The best camping in
Delaware

Camping Delaware

With more than 150 miles of trails, great coastal and inland fishing, and 20 state parks and forests, there are plenty of choices for camping in Delaware. Whether you like the convenience of an RV or the simplicity of a tent, camping in Delaware has many of options for outdoorsy visitors.

The most popular campground is Delaware Seashore State Park, a beach park just a few minutes' drive from the summer hotspot of Dewey Beach. Tent campers and RVers alike love the closeness to the Atlantic beaches and the calm coastal bays – six miles of sand and sun just steps away from your chosen campsite, with plenty of full-hookup spots.

During the summer, Delaware Seashore has beach wheelchairs available first-come, first-serve, and mobility mats allow standard wheelchairs access at Towers Ocean and South Inlet locations. For family members or friends who want to have a beach experience but don’t like camping, the Cottages at Indian River Inlet are a great close-by relaxing destination.

Many also campers like to enjoy the restaurants, bars and nightlife in Dewey Beach, about a mile north of the park. Dewey Beach offers plenty of watersports, eateries, dancing and live music for a great change of pace from a day of sunning and swimming.

A few miles north along Delaware’s Route One is Cape Henlopen State Park, a dream spot for lovers of nature and history. Formerly a World War II fort – Delaware’s shoreline is dotted with old military fire control towers – Cape Henlopen offers access to both calm Delaware Bay waters and Atlantic surf, as well as miles of shady wooded trails for hiking and bicycling through coastal marshes. Camping in Delaware at Cape Henlopen means you’re tucked into sandy woodland sites with picnic tables, campfires and plenty of pine trees, with small cottages also available.

If you're looking to escape summer crowds but still enjoy the beach, campers can drive about 10 miles south to Fenwick Island State Park, featuring three miles of beaches on the barrier island. Known as the "Quiet Beach," the ocean and bayside park is sandwiched between Ocean City, Maryland, and the "Quiet Resorts" of Bethany Beach, South Bethany, and Fenwick Island.

If the beaches aren’t your speed, the state has plenty of inland parks and forests which offer a range of opportunities and fun for camping in Delaware - from Trap Pond’s primeval-looking water trails perfect for canoeing and kayaking to Lums Pond’s treetop daredevil ropes course and ziplines. Wherever your plans take you, The Dyrt is your guide to the best tips, tricks and insider advice for a great time camping in Delaware.

Recent Reviews in Delaware
Cute and Quaint place!

We stayed here for one night and it was awesome! The campground is a little dated… but the tent site we had was perfect. Great hammocking trees :)

Nice, spacious campground in DE

This State park campground is very well maintained. The staff is friendly. Quiet, clean area and had no problem navigating in our 40’ 5th wheel. Great place to stay and check out “Lower, slower Delaware.”

Great place to camp I have been going almost every year since the first time I went. Very short walk from the beach, clean bathrooms, beautiful landscape, and a good price!

Our absolute favorite camping spot

My husband and I tent camped here a few times and fell in love with this place. We bought an RV this year and have been to Cape Henlopen twice already. The sites are all a good size and even though the campsite is usually always packed, everyone is super friendly and respectful of each other. People respect the rules and keep to themselves, but will wave and say hello a lot in passing. It’s a very comforting environment. The newly built bathhouses are great! They’re always clean and I’ve yet to not get a hot shower, even though they get used a lot. Best of all, the campsite is dog friendly! Our two dogs love it here - the smells, trails, the nice people, the water bowl outside of the camp store. The beaches also allow dogs, depending on the season or time of day. The trails are awesome and easy to walk or ride bikes on, with a few hills to muscle up, but it’s mostly flat terrain and paved. There’s a nature center nearby that also lets you borrow a bike for free if you didn’t bring your own. The smell of pine trees and ocean is instantly soothing. You can also ride your bike or drive to the beach, which is beautiful. The bathhouse and concession stand at the beach is very nice. Sunset on the beach is absolutely serene.

Very nice but not worth it.

Massey's is very nice, clean, awesome pool, nice very windy Bayside sites, but you can get the same for half the price or more. Don't get run over by the golf carts. Very pet friendly. Definitely not worth the very expensive sites. Beach was ok but could be better.

Fun Time!

Beautiful Bay views!!!  My daughters love this place and so does my wife and I.  The beach is great.  The pool and pool bar are fantastic!  1 minor complaint about the pool is that it gets crowded and you might not get a seat.  Supposedly they are going to be building another pool soon!

You definitely get what you pay for here.  If you are looking for privacy dont come here.  This campground is about having fun all day!

We will be back.

Favorite in Delaware

I’ve stayed at Cape Henlopen several times. We are tent campers and have stayed in both car sites and tent walk in sites. The new bath house and camp store are a great upgrade. Book reservations earlier than you would expect, this place fills quickly. Sites vary in privacy, some are more heavily wooded than others. One downside is the use of generators, they can be annoying. The location allows for hiking and beach visits plus you are close to both Lewes and Rehoboth.

First time

My first time visiting TPSP. The site is gorgeous throughout. The camp store is small but has everything that you need. Personnel were warm and friendly, very helpful for a first timer… spent some time chatting with them. I stayed at a tent site. The tent sites are walk in only but parking is not very far. The site provided hand trucks and wheelbarrows for you to car your items into your site. I had brought my own wagon which was helpful in keeping some of my gear off the ground during a rain storm. The site I stayed at was clean, level and well appointed; a t bar for hanging trash or a shower pack. Fire pit with grill. The tent sites are far enough from each other that you are not disturbed by neighbors, lots of trees between sites. There are water pumps every few yards, some are a Bit tricky to get working but I did not have an issue. The campground has trash and recycling bins so you do not have to carry out. I checked out some of the drive in and RV sites. They are large and well maintained, good for camper or tent camping, although fewer trees separate you from adjacent spots, so if you’re interested in more privacy opt for a tent site. The weekend I stayed we had torrential rain for about six hours but my site did not flood. Be sure to bring a large enough footprint to account for rain however, as I needed to really clean my tent and fly when I got home due to splash back of mud and leaves. Thee bathhouse was clean and the playground looked pretty good as well. Hoping that for my return trip the new bathhouse bear the tent sites is completed. If you’re not keen on using port a Johns or hiking to the bathhouse near the camper sites I suggest bringing a travel composting toilet. I hiked the full Bob Trail which is breathtaking. Easy level hike that winds all around the park and connects to the campground. I also rented a kayak for about three hours and was able to travel the full pond and connecting Terrapin Trail and back. The recreation area(where you rent boats and kayaks) has a nice picnic area and playground. I have camped at Henlopen State Park in the past and can say that TPSP is my new favorite in delaware. I enjoyed my time so much that I am already booked to return in late September and again in early November.

Clean

Kids had great fun at water park . It's well kept and reasonably priced.

Very nice people.

Nice quiet campground. Older but clean . Nice cabins

Great State Park Campground

Plenty to do: Trails for biking and hiking, rentals (canoes, kayaks, paddle boats), Go Ape zip lines, playgrounds, fishing piers, and more. Well maintained, clean and friendly camp hosts. Sites are huge and most are level.  We stay here a few times throughout the year and have never been disappointed with the campground.

Enjoyed our stay

Stayed here for the first time. Very nice. Will definitely be back!

Beautiful waterfront sites

Landing club waterfront sites were beautiful! Staff is very friendly. Campground is kept clean. We enjoyed the dog friendly accommodations. Only complaint is the size of the pool- too small compared to the size of the campground. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and already booked for next year while we were there!

Everything

From the moment I pulled in and observed how large the sites were, I was hooked. Bike trails, Going Ape, kayaking and peaceful. Planing my next trip

Very Nice

Stayed at this campground many times . Its large but very quiet and well maintained! Nice cabins also

Closed

Campground is closed

Love it!

Wow! Truly nice Hugh quiet sites. Lots of shade, animal friendly, big pond, excellent zip line fun for beginners and experienced. I’m spoiled after this weekend

Pricy but very nice

The grounds are great beautiful private beach and pool. Did not use the docks. It’s also close to the other ocean beaches. The only downsides are sites are very close together and its a very expensive about double the cost of other near by non-waterfront campgrounds.

Great parking lot ;-P

Place is great for RVs (no tents)

Awesome for fishing & beech activities

Wonderful

Wonderful all year long

Not a campground

Not a campground, but right next to one!

Close to everything!

Convenient location right on the bay! No shade though and right next to the highway so pretty noisey

Great Park

Nice quiet, everything you need, kayaking, fishing.

Very nice

Vent wait to go back, family had a great time!

Fun for the Kiddos!

This Jellystone is extremely well staffed, with all staff members in high vis matching shirts. Staff did excellent job with alternate activities due to weather during our stay. Clean campground, clean bath house, no lifeguard at pool though. Campground is flat, shade is nonexistent, symmetrical layout, but nice sized sites. Good camp store, nice pool, arcade and plenty of activities!

Blueberry and Beaches

Great site close to beaches. Campsites are surrounded by blueberry bushes. Each site has fire pit and a grill. Able to use nearby pavilion to relax during rain. Job Johnny was extra clean! According to hipcamp there is no shower however they have built a nice outdoor cedar shower next to blueberry store. Store staff friendly and yummy blueberry treats for sale.

Great location

This was a very nice campground close to the beach. Full hook up sites and pull-through. The only negative was how bad it smelled from all the dead horseshoe crabs!

Incredible!

Okay, so in the past we’ve driven by this place and wondered who would camp in that parking lot?! We since bought an RV and thought, let’s try it out. We LOVED it! So it is a parking lot of campers but we didn’t sit around the camp. We had a site at the end of the loop facing the water so we couldn’t really see anyone else. It’s a short walk to the dog beach and a little longer walk to the guarded beach. We walked to the marina, a little store there had the nicest staff member. There was a small deli/seafood counter in marina shop and a restaurant on site where we ate dinner. The beach has a water front restaurant The Big Chill that we had drinks at while watching the surf. It was mid May so we weren’t swimming. The view of the lights up bridge over the inlet was spectacular! We stayed on the north side but if you want to walk to guarded beach easily, stay south side of inlet. There was a small store on that side. There is fishing allowed on the inlet and north side beach with DE permits. We drove a short distance to Bethany Beach, and Rehoboth and Fenwick are close too. We’ve already booked the same site for next year! Plan 9-12 months ahead if you want to stay here. It fills up fast. I reserved our site a month out but it had to have been a recently cancelled site because it was the only one available and it was the best site on the north side in my opinion. Same site was already booked for next year same weekend in May but I set up a notification and when it became available next May, I snatched it up!

Amazing!

We are ending a four night stay and are super pleased. Campsites are a good size, clientele is awesome, staff is great. Our one and only complaint is that the pool and water activities didn't open until 11.