Bear, DELAWARE
Most Recent Bear Camping Reviews

Campground is a little outdated and where the overnight people are is separated from the seasonal people the closest bathhouse is a 10 min walk from where we were the portapotty they had down near the overnighters ( where we where ) smelled horrendous I could not have imagined camping next to it but people did the only plus is they have a swimming pool and pond and it’s very laidback and quiet

Not a campground

Can't camp here, but it's beautiful to spend the day in!

Awesome!

A little pricey but worth it! We had full hook up with a great site! This place has cool novelty places to rent out as well. Pools were fantastic. Friendly staff. We already booked again!!!

Great Acces to Dutch Wonderland

Clean campground with great access to Dutch Wonderland, outlets and other Lancaster County tourist attractions. Nice creek to fish in but other than a small playground (with broken equipment) not much else in other amenities. An Amish buggy comes through with some great baked goods.

Will visit again

Site was well maintained and very clean. Bathrooms were clean with showers and wash stations. Great views of the bay and beaches. Very well stocked camp store.

We saw bald eagles and great blue heron.

Only minor drawbacks being; the pad for pitching tents seemed to have poured concrete a few inches down, making it tough to stake anything down. RV sites mixed in with tents so the sound of generators was pretty constant, but it was a scorching weekend, so might not be so bad in cooler days.

Beautiful Park!

Great campsites and trails!

Permanently closed

This campground is closed

Great weekend

We stayed in loop C. Very nice site. Bathrooms were ok not the cleanest but not the worst I have seen. Love the hiking trails.

Great little koa

A small koa but very nice, I stayed in a cabin for my MTB race weekend. Great! Pool is a tad small. Restrooms very clean and good looking tent sites.

Amazing area- beautiful location

We would absolutely come again. Beautiful wooded area, space in between sites for a bit of privacy, big field for kids to run around in and play.

Great Family Fun

We really enjoyed our stay. Only complaint is the noise at night. Amenities could be a little better. We stayed at home he quarryville location and they had a lot more things to do.

No Camping But Nice For What It Is

There isn’t camping anywhere in the park, at least none that’s sanctioned by the state park service. Not exactly the most secluded park, but has a series of nice walking trails and big open areas and grills for bbq. Gets crowded around the fourth. The waterfront trails are excellent for birding and usually not crowded.

Very nice

Very nice camping. Quiet setting

Beautiful scenery!

Beautiful campground. Clean restrooms, lots of open space!

Beautiful campground. Clean restrooms, lots of open space!

Great place

Terrific space for exploring

Too expensive for what you get

By reading the reviews some people love the place while others hated it. We we're somewhere in the middle. My reaction was"meh". We stayed on premium site number 54 from Wednesday until Sunday at a total of$343. At that price, I was expecting MUCH more. The place is very quiet until Friday but noise is no issue to us as we love being in the middle of the action. Most people also respected quiet time. The entire campground is sand and gets very dusty and messy. This was the dirtiest campground we've stayed at, meaning the trailer and truck needed a full bath once we got home. The activities were cute and the pool and splash pad was really the only main attraction. Site was gravel with a small concrete patio and decently sized. All hookups worked as required so no complaints there. Make sure you bring everything you need with you, because this place is literally in the middle of nowhere and a minimum 15 minutes ride to any type of civilization. Don't plan on arriving after dark as there is no type of lighting other than what the other campers have lit up. Overall we had a decent time, but for the price, we've stayed at much nicer places and most likely won't be coming back.

Great place for the family to have fun

This was a great place to go stick your feet in the water. Or throw your line in and catch some fish or just to have a day with the family out doing the picnic thing.

Nice place, tight sites

This is a nice KOA. It's pretty close to Philly, which is why we stay there. The tent sites are pretty close together but it's not too overwhelming. The sites are right along the creek which is nice. Everything was clean and tidy while we were there and the place was packed. The only tiny drawback is the bathroom is kind of far from the sites, up a steep hill. And its on the dark side, especially if there is a new moon. We didn't use any of the activity amenities, but it seemed like there was a lot to do.  All said -it's a nice spot and they keep it very clean.

Nice hiking, family friendly

Nice state park. Tons of campsites. One loop has full hookups. Careful of choosing a site if you have a big rig. The loop has tight turns and some seriously non level sites. Trails are nice and well marked. The pond loop has some amazingly old growth mountain laurels and patches of ghost flowers. The Turkey Point lighthouse hike is popular go early or late to avoid waiting for a parking spot on nice weekends. Swimming and boating on the river are popular activities too.

Phanominal!

Hands down the cleanest, friendliest, most beautiful campground I’ve ever been to. We really enjoyed our trip to yogi bear. We booked another one within 3 weeks that’s how much we couldn’t wait to go back.

Well taken care of, lots to do

Whether it’s the ropes course, hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, or cooking there is always something to do at Lums Pond. This park itself is pretty run of the mill, it’s got some trees and bushes and a water feature.

Awesome

Went here on a whim. TOTALLY worth it. Close to I-95, scenic, well maintained and quiet. Kids, wife and I had fun hiking to a really old tree in the area (I dont remember the name, but it was really cool). Will definately be going back.

Great park near the water

This was definitely a state park that was worth the trip. We stayed in the elk loop spot 142. It is the only one with electric in that part of the park so we were the only RV. All the loops we visited were quiet, well maintained and offered nice shade. Quite a few spots also offer water views. There are a bunch of nice, well marked trails throughout. Camp hosts were not out and about but were friendly and park rangers stopped by from time to time to make sure everyone was parked according to the rules. Overall a very nice experience, several spots to put in kayaks or paddle boards. Clean bathhouse. Playground for the kids. Will be back.

Was ok

It was small and we felt that our camper was to big for the spot we were in.

Calm

Been coming here for as long as i can remember relaxing little place nice people. Fishing and boating and hiking.

Peace & Tranquility, waterfront. Fish from your camp site.

Beautiful family owned campground. Kinda small but has a lot to offer. A nice clean pool, camp store, clean bathroom/showers, full hookups, surrounded by water. Fishing piers, (I love to crab) catch them and steam them in my camper (a MD thing :-) Only bait at the camp store or with 25 miles is night crawlers. Bring your own if your a fishing person. Drove me nuts.  Quiet, peaceful, family oriented, mostly older adults with RV's as it's an RV Park. However, they accept all types of camping situations except tents. They even have one site they rent to a conversion type van w full hook ups.  This is our 3rd year camping there spring, summer & fall. The water bugs are bad in the spring, no mosquitoes, acorns falling from the trees on your camper in the fall, no golf carts allowed too small of a place. Take the good with the bad… Nice shady sites, can fish from your chair. Kayak rentals, boat slips.  Close to all types of stores, civilization, 7-11, a nice seafood store to get crabs or fish if you didn't catch any.  There is also a Waffle House around the corner…. That in itself is worth the trip! Five stars in my book.  We just spent a week there for Memorial Day. Highly recommend

Peaceful, secluded campground for all nature lovers

French Creek State Park

Loop C Site 36

Hey everyone! Ranger Jen here with my first camping trip of the season for 2019. We have been having a crazy amount of rain here in Pennsylvania so due to weather related issues we haven’t been able to get out there until now. We absolutely love camping at French Creek for several reasons. The first has to be the sites. As long as you don’t stay right across from the bath houses you will find ample shade at your site. There are so many trees and brush in between most sites you can’t even really see your neighbors. Secondly, the price you pay for what you get is extremely cost effective. It cost us $65 for the weekend plus a $6 service fee for using the Reserve America website. We had electric however no water or sewer hookup. There was a spigot for water at the next site over from us, so we didn’t have to walk far to get fresh water. This is a great place to stay for a family or the outdoor enthusiast as there is so much to do. There is a huge lake where you can rent canoes and kayaks. A huge pool that has a beautiful view overlooking the lake. There are trails for mountain biking or hiking, a frisbee golf course, playground at the campground and at the lake, and an amphitheater at the campground where they hold events and Sunday morning church services. Not to mention close by there is Hopewell National Furnace and St. Peter’s Village with shops and restaurants and hiking trails as well. There are also two lakes, Scotts Run Lake and Hopewell Lake that you can fish, kayak, canoe or just relax by. There are several warm water fish in the lakes including northern pike, chain pickerel, bass, walleye, muskellunge and several types of panfish. If RV or tent camping is not your thing there are also two Yurts and one cabin available for rental as well.

We have stayed at French Creek in the past however, we have never stayed in Loop C before. This is the only loop that allows pets. I expected it to be much noisier than it was. All of the dogs were well behaved, and we didn’t have any problems as we took our walks around the loop. At the bath house there are two sinks for washing dishes and a counter to set them on which is nice. They are deep sinks also with HOT water. I was very disappointed in the cleanliness of the women’s bathroom. Let me just say I went one time and didn’t go back. Luckily, we have a cassette toilet in our camper. Normally, I just use that in the middle of the night but not this time. The campground hosts were nice and helpful however I don’t think they are responsible for cleaning the bathrooms. However, someone should look into having it done ASAP.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time and this weekend I was testing Morsel Sporks. We had two sizes which were the XL and the mini. Upon ordering I was thinking the mini would be a good size for our almost 2 year old and my husband, son and I would use the XL’s. I was surprised at the size of the XL when they arrived in the mail. I was originally thinking how am I going to use this gigantic thing but the more I used it the happier I was with the size.

Pros:

The XL is perfect for getting down to the corner of your bagged meals, scraping the sides of your bowl without the worry of scratching due to the rubber edges which also helps to conform to any hand. I used it to mix my pancake batter. The fork worked great to whisk the eggs and the spoon side was great for getting down into the mix to ensure it was all mixed in. I also made chili and it was great for stirring as you are not to fry with them however you can submerge them in hot water. We also used them to eat our chili. It was funny as my husband was using the spoon side and me the fork side. What do you eat your chili with? Let the great debate begin! P.S. – It was a think chili however I did end up flipping it over at the end to scrape my bowl with the spatula. What was especially nice with the XL was that once I did flip it over to use the other end my hand was able to stay in the same place and not get full of sauce. I can’t stand when I get something on my utensil and then it gets on my fingers. That was always a problem I had with other products like this in the past. The XL is 10.5 inches long and the mini is 7.5 inches long. The mini has been great to travel with for our daughter. She uses it to eat everything from applesauce, hotdogs, mac and cheese, ice cream, Rita’s and yogurt.  It is very lightweight (.6 oz mini, .85 oz XL) yet durable, so she can be rough with it and it holds up. Let’s be real, we all know our kids throw stuff. The material which is plastic is very easy to clean as well and doesn’t get greasy. I even use mine at work. #1 it cuts down on plastic wear in the garbage and #2 because the plastic wear is cheap, and it just bends under the pressure of just trying to eat. Seriously, it bends when I try to eat a salad. There is also a hole, so you can clip it to your pack. Plus, this product is made in the USA and they offer a lifetime guarantee as long as it is under normal conditions. There is also just a spoon/spatula that can be purchased along with a combo of the products. The cost is very reasonable and it is a lifetime guarantee so all the more reason to spend for the quality.

Cons:

I have done some research and have found that some left-handed people have some trouble using the product. Maybe if they angled the bottoms it would help. Also, it would be nice to have the XL handle size with the size of the mini ends. My husband who is a cancer survivor has issues eating due to reconstructive surgery on his jaw. He can only open his mouth so wide. He did okay but after a while it was making his mouth tired to be opening it to get it in his mouth. Maybe if it was a little slimmer it would help. The fork side is really pointy as well so if you have this in your backpack you may want to wrap something around it to ensure you don’t poke a hole in anything you don’t want a hole through. I think it would be cool to have a glow in the dark version of these products as well. There is not a sharp knife so if you are eating meat or something that requires cutting you will most likely need something else. Overall, I was very happy with this product. I will definitely be looking into getting some more.

Thanks for reading and happy camping!

Mary

This place use to be nice but it is under new management now and it is a joke. They dont take care of the place and its getting all run down. You own your lot and put your unit on it. There is a class action lawsuit against them right now. Good place to steer clear of.