the dyrt
About Granite Creek Campground
Granite Creek Campgound is a large wooded campground nestled in the valley between high mountain peaks very near to the Gros Ventre Wilderness. The campground is located next to designated Wild and Scenic Granite Creek, offering excellent fishing opportunities right next to the campground. Nearby is the popular Granite Creek Hot Springs which is great fun for all ages for soaking in the water and the view after a hard day of recreating. Multiple trails are available very close to the campground and throughout the Granite Creek corridor for hiking, horseback riding and mountain biking.
Price
$15.00
National Forest
Granite Creek Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
Starting from the Town of Jackson, Wyoming, head southwest on United States Highway 189 (US-189) for about 13 miles. At the roundabout in Hoback Junction, take the second exit to proceed on US-189 East (US-191 E) for 11 miles, then make a left turn on Granite Creek Road (Forest Road 30500), continue on this road for 1 mile then it changes name to Granite Road, follow this road for 7 miles, you will finish at Granite Creek Campground on the right. Approximate travel details from the Town of Jackson, Wyoming: 33 miles, 48 minutes.
5 Reviews of Granite Creek Campground
Remoe and relaxing

The best thing about this campground is not even the campground - the scenery, the creek, the hot springs! Of course the campground itself is wonderful, with nice spacious sites and plenty of accessible vault toilets. Being October, the hook-ups were off, although that should be expected late season in Wyoming.

The paid pool stays open until the end of October, we made sure to use it. The hot pools in the creek are also an option.

Be aware the road does close to cars in winter.

breathtakingly gorgeous camping

The campground is 10 miles down a gravel road and about 30 miles from Jackson. it’s a large campground with 50+ sites, although it was mostly empty when we were there. Firewood, water, and dumpsters are available. the sites are large and relatively far apart so you have a modicum of privacy. It is a short hike to granite creek falls where there is a hot pool on the right below the falls for those brave enough to ford the fast moving and very cold creek. above the falls there is a hot springs which costs $8/head to go in. we skipped that so I can’t attest to that experience. The scenery was fantastic and the weather beautiful so we stayed 3 nights.

Ranger Review: OOFOS Oolala Sandal at Granite Creek Campground

First things first- the road is rocky on the 9 mile dirt road to the camp ground. It doesn't require 4-wheel drive, but I would recommend taking it slow. 3 flat tires in 2 days that I know of, 2 were members of my party. It is still worth it though! It will take 30 minuted drive time to reach the campground from Hwy 189.

Campground Review: The Granite Creek Campground is a great campground in a beautiful setting within a pine grove. There is a crystal clear creek nearby, a roaring waterfall, hot springs and granite monoliths surrounding the area. Multiple trail heads are accessible from this area. There are 53 sites available. Two vehicles are limited per site, $15 per site with +$7 for the additional vehicle. The camp host is very helpful with directions and also has firewood for purchase $6.00. The campground has water available, several toilets which were tidy and good condition. There are bear-proof dumpsters throughout the camp ground and bear-proof boxes for food storage in each campsite. The campsites were adequately sized and could accommodate multiple tents. There is enough room for 2 vehicles in each site, we also had a trailer with our raft at one with plenty of room to spare. There is an abundance of deer in this area and so many species of birds. No bear sightings. There is no cell service at the campground or for 30 miles in any direction. Hoback junction is the closet area with fuel and groceries, however, I rarely was able to get even 1 bar with Verizion.

There is free dispersed camping along the stretch of road to the campground. No amenities.

Granite Hot Springs- Granite Hot Springs is 1 mile north of the campground. Cost is $8.00 and is cash only. The water is not too hot in summer months, luke warm- just right for relaxing. HINT there are undeveloped hot springs below the falls if you prefer free, primitive, and trail finding.

Granite Falls- Within walking distance from the campground, stay right when the road forks, you will see/hear the falls from this diversion. There are trails around this area, some to the top of the falls. Spectacular!

Backpacking- Multiple trail heads in the area for back country exploration

Fly Fishing- world class fly fishing in Granite Creek!

Kayaking- the Granite Creek joins the Hoback river right were the road to the campground turns off Hwy 189. We saw several kayakers.

Whitewater rafting- the Snake river is not far, there are multiple campgrounds along the Snake, but they fill fast. It is about 35 miles to the West Table launch where we put our raft in.

Gear Review: OOFOS OOlala Sandal https://www.oofos.com/collections/womens-oolala-sandal

Last time I was in Scheel's, I really eyeballed these shoes. I was so excited to have the opportunity to demo these for the Dyrt! These sandals are like walking on a cloud! Sooo comfy! I wore these around camp the entire weekend. It felt like heaven to put them on after wearing water shoes rafting and stiff approach shoes while hiking. They are so cushiony and supportive in the arch. Watch my gear review video…I say 'amazing' like 50 times. ;-)

I wore these Oolala sandals when I visited Granite Hot Springs, talk about ideal recovery after a long day on the water, hiking, and in the sun. On our way out we decided to visit the Granite Falls. I did not have other footwear to change into, so I hiked in the OOFOS Oolala sandal. These sandals are not designed for hiking and they are not stable on the uneven and steep terrain. If you use these for what they are designed for, recovery, you will not be disappointed. I'm a firm believer on wearing the right footwear for the right activity and these OOFOS are excellent recovery shoes, as designed! 5 stars OOFOS!

Dispersed free camping & campground

On the road to the established granite creek campground there are several dispersed camping areas that are free along the creek. We stayed at a dispersed spot but I included a few pics from the established campground. The campground had toilets, bear boxes, plenty of shade and access to the the creek. There are plenty of trails off the road as well as the hot springs at the end of the road where you can swim! The dispersed camping has no toilets or water, but they do have established fire rings. We loved this spot and would definitely go back when we are in the area!

Great camping with so much to enjoy nearby!

This campground has it all… on a pretty creek, nice campsites for both tent campers and RVs, very clean bathrooms. No RV hook ups. Less than a mile from the campground, and easily accessible by bicycle, there is a very nice waterfall. Slightly beyond that is a public hot spring that was made into a pool by the CCC in the 1930s. There are changing rooms and a couple of picnic tables, but no concessions. I think that it was $8 to get in. You are outside looking at the mts. while soaking…aahhh.