Alpine, WYOMING
Most Recent Alpine Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: Gregory Jade 63 liter pack at Moraines Backcountry Campsite

Wow! What an adventure! In January I applied for an advanced permit for August 18-19 backcountry camping at the Moraines for a Grand Teton Summit trip.

To be continued….

Awesome dispersed camping spot!

I camped here during a Snake River float trip. Easy to get to launch quickly and close proximity to Alpine WY where you can pick up supplies. There are no amenities at the campground. It is just across the Idaho/Wyoming boarder and on the banks of the Palisades Reservoir. There are trees along the banks. Only fire pits available. No tables, bathrooms, nothing. So please practice good camping etiquette and pack out everything. Gets pretty

Oasis below the dam

Nice little place. Stay limit is 14 days. They have pull through electric sites, Several non-electric back in sites, and a few sites next to the Snake River. If you want to dump at the dump site, make sure you have your paper to prove you are or did stay at the park or they will charge you $5 to dump your black tank. They will also charge for filling fresh water if you don’t have your paid site stub.

Big reward for rough road in

Be sure to throttle it way down into low gear as the long in road is really rough! If you like remote with at least the basics of picnic tables, bear boxes, and fire pits, this is your place. The sites next to the creek are the nicest and most level, and all have bear boxes (and notices about mandatory food storage). While I didn't see any bears, there were quite a few mule deer in the meadow in the evening., and I had to kick elk scat out of my tent space before set up.The vault toilet was clean enough, but could have been better. The campground is very close to Granite Creek Hot Springs, a pool type hot spring with a fee to swim instead of a natural hot spring pool. Word is that there were some pools at the base of the falls, but I wan't up for the hike or the very cold fording of the "creek" as it was very full with spring runoff. The manager let me hop in to test the water (too cool for real enjoyment according to him), and didn't charge me when I got out after just 15 minutes. The whole time I was in the pool he was regaling a couple with his story of a grizzly killing an elk calf the week before a few miles away. He was quite the story teller, and had the video on his phone to prove it. It was a "grizzly" tale.

Super cool private campground

Mostly I stay at state parks when I camp, but there isn’t much of that around Jackson Hole. This place was great. We stayed in the RV area and it was as much as could be expected. Pull through sites, fire pits, enough space between sites to give you some privacy. The bathrooms and showers were top notch. Close enough to day trip around Jackson. Fun enough to stick around. Awesome tiny house style cabins. We didn’t stay in those but poked around and would totally stay there next time. They looked awesome.

Beautiful campground

Adequately spaced sites, next to a creek. Well maintained, nice hiking trails. $12/night. Allows dogs and has good cell service. Picnic tables and fire pits.

Great camping close to amazing waterfalls

Near the town of Duboise, this campground is up in the Shoshone National Forest. The views of the mountains are beautiful. I was here in early June and there was still a lot of snow in the area as well as in the campground. This made it easier to pick a campsite as it was obvious which sites were water logged and which were dry. The best sites are#14-16, along the river. Even though it was early in the season, someone had come out and mown the grass for tents. I was very impressed by the fact that they had ATV parking on the outside edge of the campground and that there were signs stating ATVs were not allowed to be driven through the campground. The sites were large and private with nice separation between sites, each had steel picnic tables, prep tables, and fire rings. And, terrible as it is, I even had cell service here! While I did not check it out, there is a group campground less than a mile just down the road. I would definitely camp here again, although maybe try and hit it right between the disappearance of snow and the appearance of mosquitos.

Fly fishing outfitter and campground in one

In Swan Valley the name of the game is fly fishing. This small campground is also a fly fishing outfitter and shop. While l was just passing through and I am not a fisherwoman, it seemed to offer pretty good services if that is your thing. I pulled in after hours but fortunately the owner’s dog alerted her to my presence and she was willing to open the office to rent me a tent site for the evening. There are 3ish tent sites(one was being worked on), about a half dozen pull thru RV sites, and 3 or 4 cabins for rent. There is a central bathhouse with two full bathrooms in a trailer for everyone to share. The bathhouse rooms are electronically accessed with codes the host gives you on check in. They were really nice and clean, like bathrooms in a typical modern home, except that one had the water heater tank in it and both had space heaters on the floor to plug in(fire hazard??). The tent site I chose was at the back of the campground so I didn’t have much highway noise, and fell asleep to the sound of the nearby horses grazing. Next door on the other side is a municipal building that appears to be the home base for the sheriff. The view of the back of the office/fly shop is not very picturesque, with boats and atv’s and odds and ends laying about. There are nice trees providing shade, but there is no real privacy between sites, tents, or cabins. The grass was quite lush, so I am wondering when the sprinkler system comes on. This place works as a layover or for someone who will take advantage of the fly fishing services, but not much else.

Bring the water toys

Spacious dispersed camping on the edge of the Palisades Reservoir, but no amenities so come prepared! The road is a bit narrow and rutted, but those confident in their driving skills will be fine. There are so many options here!

There is a dirt “boat ramp”, but due to the amount of driftwood I would not recommend anything with a trailer until that’s cleaned up. Further down the road is a proper ramp if you need it, but we put our kayaks and floats right in there.

On a hot July weekend, this was a very popular spot. Not for those looking for peace and quiet in the campsite, but if you get in the water you can peacefully float around for hours, unless you kept your cellphone on! This area has pretty good service.

Despite previous reviews, I did not see toilets. There’s a few fire pits, the large one is a communal one of sorts. Bring a backup solution if fire cooking was your meal prep plan. Mosquitoes were definitely present also.

Solitude !

Great dispersed camping area. Appears to be used by a lot of hunters. There is a nice big picnic table at one site and a few spots with campfire rings and meat poles. There are no other amenities. The Greys River is right near camp as well as Spring Creek. The Spring Creek Falls trailhead has a river crossing at the 2 mile mark, sign states it is 5 miles to the falls. I didn’t venture further than that. I stayed at this campground because I was hiking up Wyoming Peak in the morning. Wyoming Peak was a wonderful hike, highly recommend! This summer has had the most amazing wildflowers!

Beautiful!

A great view of the Tetons! A little windy but worth it!

Closest campground in the park to Jackson Hole

Closest campground to Jackson Hole Large campground with seven loops/372 sites plus a group site that is first-come, first available. Loops are divided according to type: tent only, RV with allowable generator use, electric with no generators allowed, non-electric, group. The electric sites are pricey ($40 with a senior pass) so we used one for just one night to charge up and switched to a non-electric for the second night. Sites vary in size; some shrubbery or trees provide separation between some sites but not all. Our site for the first night (D184) was a little confusing in that the picnic table was located quite a distance from our parking pad and behind what almost looks like another parking pad (but it is not paved and does not have a number). When we returned in the evening, we found two people parked in this area using our table. They wanted to set up a tent but we held our ground. We woke the next morning to another car parked there! Our next night was spent in site D232, with a view of the mountains. Flush toilets with no showers as you would expect in a national park.  There is a dump station and everything is recycled, including propane canisters, a welcome change after not seeing any recycling in Idaho. Very pleasant and helpful staff at check-in. They even showed us a photo of a carving made in a tree in our site. Obviously, they were not condoning the defacing of a tree but since it was there, it was nice they let us know about it as we never would have thought to look for it. This is the closest campground to Mormon village and to the town of Jackson Hole.

Simple primitive roadside campground

Your basic sites with fire ring and picnic table, pit toilets, and dumpster. Only con is it’s close to the road so you can hear traffic going by but otherwise it’s a simple $10/night pull in site.

Amazing wild flowers !

This remote cabin can be rented for $30 night if not in use by the forest service staff. This is a popular destination for snowmobiling in the winter month and fly fishing in the summer. I visited in July and the wild flowers were incredible in LaBarge Meadows. This is near the Tri-Basin drainage. The trail head for the Lander Cut-Off Trail is right at the cabin. There is an outhouse, picnic table in the yard and a fire ring. There is a stream right along the cabin and there is writer plumbing in the summer months.
There is a doorknob lock that you enter a code into to access the cabin that is provided upon your reservation. Call 307-877-4415 to make your reservation!

Not motorcycle friendly

All of the tent sites are not “accessible” by motorcycle, meaning they won’t allow you to try. We were on adventure bikes and were forced to camp in a small group site that I can only describe as a dirt corral. The prices were also ridiculous, however they had free showers and we were tired. Tent sites were $50-$65 and the rustic cabins started at $140. The tent sites are along the river, so there is deep sand and gravel. I would not stay again.

Peaceful

Wonderful spot most sites were filled but the group area had a few spots with picnic tables left. I opted for 5 a small turnout next to the river. A short walk to probably the cleanest pit toilets I have ever seen. I will definitely camp here again.

Worth The Drive Up

Located in National Elk Refuge. Free / Dispersed camping. This place was phenomenal. We thoroughly enjoyed camping at Curtis Canyon. You will definitely need a 4x4 or SUV capable of making the trek up towards the top for the more remote locations. You should definitely go before sunset to become familiar with the drive up. The view of the Tetons is amazing from here. Jackson Hole… we will be back.

We visited late July 2018.

Excellent campground!

We camped here between visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton. It's roughly 1 1/2 hrs from each, but we didn't want to deal with the first come, first serve business and were enjoying driving through the farmland.

The campground was awesome! We were the only tent campers there, which was sort of nice. We had a beautiful, grassy spot with a fire pit.

The restrooms were immaculate and the whole property was well maintained. The camp host was very friendly.

We saw a bull moose in the field on the property, but apparently that was a rare occurence.

🙌🏼

The BEST place to camp in the Tetons! 4wd/awd recommended to get to the higher, better spots. Campsites are dispersed so there’s plenty of privacy. And it’s FREE!

Rewarding hike in the backcountry

I experienced my first night in the backcountry at Leigh Lake and can't wait to go back there soon. The hike was relatively flat with great views along the way of String Lake, Leigh Lake and Mt. Moran. One side of the site is completely open to Leigh Lake and around the corner is the peak of Mt. Moran while the other side of the site is a dense forest filled with trees. We spotted elk walking through the trees in the morning while relaxing on the beach waiting for the sun to come up. There is plenty of space so loading up a kayak would be ideal. We packed and hiked to the site so had limited space but there is plenty of room to spread out on a nice tent site and beach if you're able to kayak across the lake.

Something for everyone!

Seven RV sites with full hookups ($32.50/nite), four tent spots, and three cabins. Each cabin has different facilities ranging from partial to full bath. Bath/shower house accessible with code. Small playground. Lots of shade trees. Janice was very friendly and helpful and said they fill up every night. Best to call to make a reservation.

Upscale accommodations in a rural setting!

Wish we had known more about this place when we were searching last night so hopefully my first impressions will help future travelers. Upon entering the driveway, we were greeted heartily by Jake, the owner, who was on his way out but invited us to speak with Glen, his manager. Sleepy J has five one bedroom and five two bedroom cabins and one fully accessible handicapped cabin. There is also one RV spot. RV spot has water and electric but no sewer and it should be noted is located near the dumpster, making the cabins likely a better choice! Although I did not see the inside of the cabins, the outsides looked immaculate. Rates range from $70-$200 and you can rent the entire place for meetings, weddings, etc. Great location traveling to/from the Tetons. Both Jake and Glen were very welcoming and I would definitely stay here when looking for a break from camping!

Nice little hideaway

This place is nice and easy to get to. There is good trout fishing in the small creek or you can go chase the bruisers in the snake river a few miles away. It is dry camping so bring lots of water to keep hydrated.

Breath taking view!

Best view of the Tetons you can get while camping. Pretty easy to get to with amazing sunrise and sunsets

Nice and Quaint

Very nice and quaint campground. Smaller tent sites and large double tent or trailer sites. Right on the river, good for fishing. Very clean, even the pit toilet bathroom was clean. Nearby to hot springs, off roading/short hikes/mountain or dirt biking trails and areas. Only $5/night with your National Parks Pass. Dog friendly and awesome fire pits (clean and not warped racks for grilling) We will definitely be back.

What a beautiful area to camp! Dispersed camping with space for very large groups. Lots of dirt bike/quad trails. Beautiful views. Wish we could have stayed longer. Only annoying thing when we were there was there was a lot of cattle coming into our camp all the time. But other than that this place is great.

Unbelievable

Camped here on the tail end of a two week overland trip through 8 states and 4 national parks. This was the best campsite. Spots are spread out from each other and the view is the best I've ever had from a vehicle accessible camp. Would recommend 4wd/offroad capable vehicle for the upper camps but RVs and such can get in to the lower camps. You can make most or all of the road in 2wd if you have enough ground clearance. The higher you climb the better the reward! Highly recommend if you're in the area. Also after a frustrating day battling crowds at Grand Tetons NP and Jackson this place was an amazing break from people.

Beautiful Spot! Rough Road.

If your wanting a place that overlooks the Grand Teton National Park this is your place. The views from campsites 1-15 are absolutely unreal and overlook Antelope Flats followed by the Grand Teton's. Some of the other campsites at Shadow Mountain are harder to navigate. Around Shadow Mountain there is about 8 miles worth of 4 wheeler trails that you can bike or walk where the other campsite locations are located.

Shadow Mountain is part of the Bridger-Teton National Forest and from May 1- Labor Day you can stay a maximum of 5 days, the other dates you can stay up to 16 days. The camp ambassador has more detailed maps of the camping areas. This part of the national forest allows for FREE dispersed camping but only at assigned campsites. There is a camp ambassador on-site near sites 1-15 to help enforce the rules(this is a busier campsite in the summer as its very close to Jackson and lots of locals come out- kind of a party spot). There is a porta-potty on site on campsites 1-15 but no water or other amenities near other campsites.

The road to get this location can be difficult but maneuverable as there are some large ruts in spots and larger river rock makes slower travel. It can be navigated by pretty much any car type or truck with trailer. If you have an RV it may be difficult to get to this location.

Overall we highly recommend you check out this spot as the view is absolutely gorgeous. There is animal activity in the area Moose, Elk, Grizzly so use proper animal safety,"be bear aware." The camp ambassador mentioned a few weeks prior to our stay a grizzly attached a mom and her baby Moose near campsite 14!

Check out our video review: https://youtu.be/8mVj1dxL5t4

Standard State Park

$25 for full hookups, $20 to dry camp. gets very dark at night. Seems like it fills completely full on weekends, but is quiet in the week. 15-20 minutes from Idaho Falls, but you feel like you’re in the boonies.

Would come back again!