the dyrt
Alpine, WYOMING
Most Recent Alpine Camping Reviews
Piece of heaven!

Incredible tent only campground only a short & easy hike away from Jenny Lake. Since it’s first-come, first-served with only 50 sites, you have to get there early to claim your site - especially in the summer. We got very lucky and had a wonderful site (#34) with a view of the mountains just below the tent pads. The site is large and had several balanced rock stacks around it, adding to its peacefulness. The clearing down below has a wonderful flat boulder where our boys played cards and watched for the elk that would frequent the clearing. Hosts were incredibly friendly and gracious, stopping to chat often.

Great camping in Grand Teton National Park

I camped here as part of my National Park hiking trip to Grand Teton National Park. It was a quiet campground close to hiking at Jenny Lake. The campsites were first come and filled up quickly. Like most national park campgrounds, there were not showers, but flush toilets were available. This was a great place to camp while hiking the national park.

Jenny Lake in the Tetons

No RVs, only tents. Raised gravel beds for tenting and bear lockers on sites. Very close camping quarters, still decent basic amenities with bathrooms. No showers.

WIDE OPEN SPACES

318 sites. 36 electric sites. wide open spaces between you and your neighbors. Moose in the campground almost daily. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Open May to October.

Best trip ever

I went out to Wyoming a couple of summers ago, and honestly it was one of the most amazing trips I have ever been on. I stayed with some friends from college in Gros Ventre campground. There were a whole bunch of us spread out over 3 sites, but the staff was very accommodating and helped us find three sites that were all connected.

The sites themselves are great. Pretty secluded from the other campers, which I love. The campground has clean drinking water and is located next to a river if you need to wash off. No showers though, so it really feels like you're roughing it.

The campground is located only about 20 minutes from the town of Jackson Hole. The place made me want to never leave Wyoming. The town has some cute coffee shops, a bouldering wall downtown, and awesome stores for outdoor enthusiasts.

The camp is also located only about 20 minutes from Grand Teton National Park. If you've never been to Wyoming, you can't imagine how beautiful this place is in the summer. Wildflowers everywhere, and once you get far enough into the park it feels like you're somewhere no other people have ever been. The stars are crazy bright and the mountains are unreal. Definitely one of my favorite national parks. I would highly recommend taking a backpacking trip through the Tetons or doing some rock climbing.

One of my all time favorite campgrounds and favorite places.

Remoe and relaxing

The best thing about this campground is not even the campground - the scenery, the creek, the hot springs! Of course the campground itself is wonderful, with nice spacious sites and plenty of accessible vault toilets. Being October, the hook-ups were off, although that should be expected late season in Wyoming.

The paid pool stays open until the end of October, we made sure to use it. The hot pools in the creek are also an option.

Be aware the road does close to cars in winter.

Endless recreation close to town

Fantastic biking, hiking, and wildlife viewing just a few minutes from town amenities. Rough it all week, or head up the road to get a slice or just do laundry. Maybe even at the same time?

This is a great spot, only downside is the highway is fairly close. Chances are though you'll be so busy on the trails you won't even notice. Our campsite looked recently renovated; picnic table, bear box, and fire ring looked brand new. We hiked up towards Oliver peak on a clear day and could see for miles.

Beautiful Campground to feel at one with Nature

Upon arrival at Gros Ventre Campground we were greeted by two very friendly and informative hosts. After picking our campsite, we decided to switch- which was no problem at all.

The views, and surrounding area were absolutely breathtaking. A female moose walked right behind our site, and the bison were in herds on the campground the morning we left.

Would highly reccomend for anyone camping in the Teton Area.

Favorite site

Went on a week long at trip to Yellowstone and the tetons and this was my favorite site During our trip. Lots of space between campsites, decent bathrooms along with amazing views make for a great campsite. There are a few group sites, and firewood for sale along with safe food storage and garbages.

Best campground in Grand Teton!

Great views, access to trails, relatively private and quiet!

Off the beaten path

Gros Ventre has hundreds of campsites inside Grand Teton National Park and is not usually full. Only one loop has electric hookups and these sites are narrow and limited. Other sites are more suitable for tents or campers or vans. There are a number of other sites OK for RVs including trailers but generators are limited.

Moose may be seen in the early season. Its an easy drive into Kackson or the rest of GTNP.fair prices too, and a few group sites available by reservat. All the rest of the sites are first come, first served.

Lower and Upper Palisades lakes

This was an amazing overnight camping excursion.

Hiking Big Elk.

Can be very busy in summer months.

Best campground in the park

Incredible views. Can walk to boat launch area. Take the boat across for some insane hikes and views of waterfalls. Get there super early and you will get a site.

Mountain View

Jenny Lake campground is a first come first served campsite. We showed up early and went and found a campsite without a mountain view. Turns out we came too early since all the mountain view sites were packing up to leave instead of unpacking. It turns out that the mountain view is not actually what you want. The wind howls deep and frequent and tore through many of those sites unless they were properly prepared for wind. We had an opening thru the other side of the tree line and our site was mildly windy, moreso at night. Day time temperatures were very warm, but nights were closer to freezing. We camped here middle of June and the early morning had snow drifting off the storms above the mountains. We were unprepared for the temperatures dropping that low. There are no showers at this campground. Be prepared to run across deer in there, I was not prepared on my groggy way back from the bathroom at 7am and was very shocked. I would have been in trouble had it been a scarier animal. The trail around Jenny Lake was the most grounding experience I've ever experienced. I dream of the chance of getting back her to repeat. The mountains are so beautiful, you have a hard time believing it's not a painting. The campground staff was very helpful and did frequent rounds to ensure everyone was complying to campsite rules. The sites are not too close, unless you want mountain view. There is a paved path that can lead you to the visitor's center. Be sure to do the ENTIRE path of Jenny Lake, but be prepared for an all day adventure!

Pitched a Tent

Selected a great site w/o advanced registration - right on the Snake River. The staff was super nice, everything seemed adequate and clean. The upper area w/RVs and Cabins looked a little crowded, but the tent sites were tucked away. Really had a nice stay - our neighbors had SUPER whiny babies, but hey man… that's KOA sometimes. The river drowned out any other noises.

BEST VIEW OF THE TETONS

A little bumpy on the ride up, but 110% worth it! We stayed at several different campsites over a few days and it seemed like the lower campsites had better views of the Tetons, without trees in front. I'd recommend trying to get a site early and setting up tent before exploring for the day. It was a little smokey while we were there, so the pictures don't even do it justice.

Helpful and friendly staff, great BBQ, growing resort

The staff here was very friendly and helpful. We had our two dogs, and the staff helped guide us to several awesome hikes that were dog friendly that were great. Additionally, the staff were very helpful with offering tours to our schedule when we wanted them (kayaking). The park is located in Victor, ID on the other side of Teton Pass from Grand Teton National Park (the resort is about a half a mile from the center of town) Victor is a charming small town with several breweries and a locally sourced grocery market. We really enjoyed the town, especially compares to West Yellowstone, which is where we went next.

Coffee with a View

We enjoyed 2 nights at this campground. These are first come sites and we arrived on a Tuesday in mid August, no problem. Clean flush toilets. Fire ring had a lot of dried grass around it and we were hesitant to build a fire. Wonderful scenic drives!!

Beautiful sights and great location

This campground was in a gorgeous location with access to the river as well as lots of wildlife-we saw a deer and a moose in the three days we stayed! With built in bear boxes as well as campfire grate for each site and parking for typically two cars as well no generator loops, tent, trailer, and RV camping are available. The tricky part is that a few of the sites don’t have easy access to the bathrooms (no showers but bath/food cleanup dump sink) but overall, one of the most beautiful places we’ve stayed. Can get a little loud during the nights should you stay over a holiday weekend like we did, and the campground was full but I wouldn’t expect that normally.

Service Road Access!

This is one of the best service roads in Wyoming, as far as I’m concerned. On the drive you pass such a beautiful scenery of the red hills & you basically drive on the side of the mountain. There are multiple paid campsites available, I believe 3 in total but there are a heap of dispersed campsites as well. We happened to stay at one on a road labeled “Taylor ranch” there is also a couple cabins for summer home rent, but if you keep going you’ll find private campsites that are dispersed and free! We stayed right on the beach of Slide Lake. The only downside to my specific site was that there is public access to the beach. We were often awoken by rowdy passerby-ers and chose to leave shortly after. If you drive further down the service road you’ll pass Crystal Creek which is about 10 miles in. Back there you won’t be bothered! However if you don’t mind talking to a couple people who walk through your site then this site is for you!

Primitive & Private

Just slightly past Crystal Creek Campground and it’s overflow, you will find many forest service roads. But this one in specific, right behind is one of the most primitive and private campsite service I have ever found. Besides the hustle and bustle of ATVs every now and again- there’s nothing but peace, quiet, and the soft hum of a river near by. There is a HUGE grassy area and I swear it’s one of the most beautiful campsites I’ve ever visited. To get to this campground you’d go down “Gros Ventre” road, where there are many campsites almost over a hundred. You just have to have a little adventure & willpower in your mind to find them. And also, don’t be afraid of being completely alone. Because that’s exactly what you’ll find camping here! I loved it.

Ranger Review: Renology Water Filter System at the Platforms- Garnet Canyon

I embarked on a day summit of the Grand Teton. I did not make it to the top, so I will tell my story of the adventure to the Lower Saddle and what I will do differently next time.

Campground Review: Most importantly, a backcountry camping permit is required to camp at any of the 6 Garnet Canyon locations. 3 up north fork can be used if summiting the Grand, the other for Middle and South peaks. There are 2 ways to acquire a permit. Jan 1 the application for permits opens. 25-33% of permits are reserved in this fashion. The remainder are first come first serve bright and early in the morning at the GTNP Jenny Lake Ranger Station. If you are planning on summiting the Grand Teton, the Lower Saddle or Moraines are the most desirable locations. It seems the guide services get quite a few of theses locations so they are quite competitive and difficult to acquire the day of. The cost in person at the Ranger Station is $35.00. There is an additional fee of $45.00($80 total) if you reserve ahead of time online. It is 7 miles and 5000 feet of elevation gain to reach the Lower Saddle camping zone. The Platforms camping zone is about 5 miles in and 2500 feet of elevation gain. The Caves and Moraines zones are between the two.

When camping in the back country, you are not allowed to pitch your tent over any vegetation. It must be a bare space or on the glacier. There are numerous areas available, and actually blend in to the surroundings pretty well. As you get higher, you will see some have created some rock enclosures to block wind. This is not allowed, but if it is existing, it can be used. Use 'Leave no Trace' principles while camping, and leave it better than you found it if possible.

The top two camping zones have some permanent structures that the guide services use. The top zone, the lower saddle is the most popular with guide services. Unfortunately it makes it much more difficult to get your hands on a permit for that zone. There is drinking water from a spring available at the the Lower Saddle. All other sources are recommended to be filtered.

If you use the restroom, it must be 200 feet off the trail and away from any water source. Once you get to some common areas, unfortunately, you can tell where people go to the restroom. Bag it up and pack it out is required. There is a wooden shelter at the top of the lower saddle that you can enter to do your duty and bag it up and pack it out. It certainly smells as though folks don't follow this rule. No sweet breath of mountain air near that structure.

I recommend checking out this website when planning your Grand Teton Summit trip. Tons of helpful beta and maps. http://wyomingwhiskey.blogspot.com/?m=1

Gear Review: As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I occasionally receive gear to demo in the field while camping. Hiking the Grand Teton was the perfect opportunity to put the Renogy Tactical Water Microfilter to the test. https://www.renogy.com/ This trek was taxing and I consumed a lot of water to keep hydrated. The Renogy water filter is compact and super easy to put together and use quickly. There is a silicon tube that attached to each end of the device. There is a float and sinker you attach to the distal end, the float keeps the tip out of any silt and debris at the bottom and the sinker keep the tip submerged so you don't pump air. The tip of the other tube goes directly into your bottle or water canister. Pump the handle until your vessel is full. It goes pretty quickly and the device is easily stored in the soft drawstring pouch provided so everything is kept clean and in one place.

The filter should be replaced after 3000 liters filtered or one year of use, which ever comes first. The device comes with replacement O rings and a syringe to flush the device for cleaning.

I recommend this water filter. It is more compact than the Katyden filter my travel partner used. The rate of filtration was comparable. Weight was very similar. The casing on this is aluminum, so the weight may be slightly heavier than some plastic models on the market, but it is very durable.

FIVE STARS!

breathtakingly gorgeous camping

The campground is 10 miles down a gravel road and about 30 miles from Jackson. it’s a large campground with 50+ sites, although it was mostly empty when we were there. Firewood, water, and dumpsters are available. the sites are large and relatively far apart so you have a modicum of privacy. It is a short hike to granite creek falls where there is a hot pool on the right below the falls for those brave enough to ford the fast moving and very cold creek. above the falls there is a hot springs which costs $8/head to go in. we skipped that so I can’t attest to that experience. The scenery was fantastic and the weather beautiful so we stayed 3 nights.

Intimate, beautiful, great fish!

This campground has a small number of lots, and when we were there in July most were filled by RVs. Only one had a noisy generator;) our spot was right next to the roaring Palisades Creek, and a short walk to restrooms. Only 15 bucks a night;)

Nice, clean place, easy access

Pro: easy access, right off the highway. Con: right off the highway, traffic noise. Located right off Hwy 189/191 about 8 miles from Hoback Junction the WEST side of the highway. I camped here for 1 evening before a Grand Teton summit trip. I chose this campground for decent proximity to GTNP (45 minutes away) and the availablity and easy access of sites. I believe there were 12 sites that all had picnic tables and fire rings. There were several other cleared sites, some without tables and grills, that had alpha identifiers other than the 12 numeric sites. Not certain how many alph sites, but looked like tent only sites. They were all $15 nightly and an additional $7 for extra vehicle. They had one site with electricity, right next to the camp host. this one site is $25 a night. The campground has pit toilets, bear boxes, water, dumpsters. The Hoback Runs next to several of the campsites. I would highly recommend getting as near the river as possible to drown out the noise from the highway. Camp hosts were very nice! I only had a $20 to pay my fee with. They brought $5.00 in change back to my campsite after I placed it in the depository. They have firewood for purchase for $6.00 a bundle. I was a runner up in a Dyrt camping contest last month. with my REI gift card I purchased the Big Agnes MountainGlo tent lights and a Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner. Fun to try these out!

There is electrical here.... We opted for a dry site

10:30 am and found a site without reservations. No frills, small site, but we are just staying a night.

Best Campground in the Tetons, you betcha!

Get there early, and be patient, first come first serve and ultra popular! Insane views of the tetons! Short hike to Jenny Lake and the boat dock. There is a great hike that leads to an incredible waterfall on the other side! For the win!

Awesome place to camp with an awesome creek

The camp host was AMAZINGLY cool and friendly. There is a flowing creek directly behind some of the sites that provides excellent white noise for better sleeping.

Loving life in Jackson Hole

Great little hide away !! Love Jackson Hole would live there if I had the opertunity

great place to camp and visit ! Close to everything Has all the nessesities for camping.. Don’t be surprised if you have an animal visitor at night. Clean