Minawa Beach , WISCONSIN

Most Recent Minawa Beach Camping Reviews
Top Notch Remote Sites

I’ve hiked into the Ice Age Trail/Kayak sites for three summers in a row now, and I’ve been pleased each time. The hike is roughly 1 mile from the lots, and the sites are beautifully placed in dunes right on Lake Michigan. There are pit toilets near the sites. These sites offer some of the best beachfront camping I’ve experienced. The hike can be challenging, as the surrounding woods are swampy, even more so during rainy times. That’s to be expected, especially when primitive camping.

Love it!

Nice beach/swimming area, bike path, and playground for the kids. Also the most beautiful sunset over the lake and pines in July

A great county park

We have been to Menomonee park several times. It is one of the kids favorites. The sites are just about all wooded. Not huge but a good size for a country park. Most offer decent separation from your neighbor. The Ranger will come by often with wood to buy. There are a few group sites separate from the family camping. Large but in wide open fields. The park has a lot of trails for hiking, biking and some horse trails. The quarry is good for swimming, kayaking, or canoeing. There is a beach with life guards.

Beautiful camping on the lake

This is a great state camp ground right on the lake. We stayed in site 123 with an RV and you could hear the waves! There was even a private trail leading out to the beach from our site. Highly recommend one of the 3 spots on the water but all the spots seemed nice and decently private. They also had a great dog beach. We were here during off season and it was very quiet and enjoyable. We plan to come back during the summer for sure!!!

Nice spot for family camping

My partner and I camped here with our son for a night. We reserved a spot kind of late and wound up between the shower building and a loud group of hunters in an RV. If we return we'll definitely try to get one of the more secluded walk-in spots that are maybe 40 meters off the road. I'd recommend those spots in any case, if you don't need any of the amenities of the spots very close to the road.

Bring cash for firewood. You can get it on sight (need $5 bills to use the giant wood vending machine), or you can get it at the nearby general store.

The trailhead for the Ice Age Trail is close to the entrance, and there are lots of other spots for fishing, picnicing, or biking.

Great beach for dogs as well

This was a great place to camp. Excellent bike trails, beautiful scenery, and a separate beach that allows dogs.

Backpacking Sites

Didn’t see any reviews about the two backpacking sites south of the lighthouse so thought I’d add some thoughts. There’s the Kayak site and the Ice Age site. They are both accessible from the land or water. I parked at the visitor center and hiked from there. According to my watch it was .9 miles from the car to the campsite. The trail is pretty wide. If you wanted to use a wagon with heavy duty wheels for your gear you probably could. It’s a pretty flat trail. If there had recently been a lot of rain I could see it getting muddy though. I just backpacked in.

Both of the sites are right off of the ice age trail. The kayak site has a view of the lake but is smaller. The ground is mostly looser sand here. The ice age site is larger and slightly more inland. You can still hear the waves but can’t see the lake. The ground is packed sand. I much preferred the layout of the ice age site.

The beach is a 30 second walk from either campsite. However, the biting flies were pretty bad at the time of year that I went (early September). The ice age site was mostly free of flies but the kayak site, being so close to the beach, definitely had more. Once the sun went down, the beach and campsites were free of flies.

Overall, both of the sites are exactly what you’d want if you want the convenience of car camping but also want a little distance between yourself and your neighbor. You’d have to yell pretty loud to be heard between the two campsites. They do share a pit toilet but it’s pretty secluded. I’ll definitely be back!

Awesome camping

This camp ground is kept very clean. It’s very wooded so bring your bug spray. Biting flies were pretty bad by the lake when there wasn’t a breeze, but a small wind helped tremendously.

Lots of food and local ice cream served at the concessions!

Great sites close to city

Mauthe has several great wooded sites.  You can’t go wrong with how close the park is to Milwaukee.

Large, widely spaced campsites in beautiful prairie grass setting

The non-electric portion of the campground is about a mile from the lakefront, in a setting of prairie grass and wildflowers. I was amazed to see so many flowers in August! There is shrubs and small trees between the campsites, so they feel private.  There are very few trees, so be prepared to provide your own shade.  There is a large shower house between the two loops of the campground and vault toilets in the campground. They were reasonably clean.  The area around the lakefront is wooded and there are several nice walks, including around a quarry lake.  The water is very high and the shore is eroded, so although it is beautiful to look at, it is hard to find beach areas.