Anmoore, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Anmoore Camping Reviews
Nice Campground with Lake Access

My girlfriend and I stayed at tent site 21 July 26th and 27th and was a good experience overall. We both agreed that we will only camp there if this particular site is open though. It is the tent site with the most privacy and it is the only one on that side of the road which made it nice. Along with the privacy it is also was right beside a trail that went directly to the lake but it is about 200 yards downhill. We took our kayaks along but opted to drive to the boat launch instead of carrying our kayaks down the trail. It is an option though. The park staff was very friendly and the bath house was pretty clean. Our only complaint is that some of the other campers where throwing food in the woods which attracted raccoons but that isn't the campgrounds fault.

Beautiful Hike

The kids had so much fun playing in the water we didn’t have time to hike and see all of it. We spent time in Swallow Falls as well as neighboring Herrington Manor state park where they have a “beach” for swimming and boat and SUP rentals. The prices for rentals were very reasonable and the concession stand was cheap!!! 2.50 for large fries, $1 snow cones, it was nice to splurge on snacks and not drop a small fortune.

We stayed at the camp ground in swallow falls in a pop up camper. The camp ground was quiet and well maintained though it is more suitable for tents and not trailers or RV’s. The bathrooms were decent for public bathhouses, they were cleaned daily but the were outdated. I would definitely come back but maybe with a tent next time and not the trailer. The camp store had the necessities at fair prices. Firewood is sold for $4 a bundle.

We did have a pet friendly site reserved but found out after we arrived that dogs are not allowed out of the campground. In order to hike with our dog we had to access the trail just outside the state park. This would have been nice information to have before arriving with our pet. Pets are allowed within the park Labor Day through Memorial Day.

Wild and wonderful

Very nice folks in the camp store. Very centrally located to many fun attractions including the railroad tours, Mongahelia National Forest, Davis and Elkins College, etc. There is a saloon on site (Shavers) that has live music in the weekends. You have to go to Smoke on the Water for dinner.

Beautiful Family Run Business

Very well run clean campgrounds. We had a river lot which was beautiful. Restaurant, Shavers Saloon, was walking distance and had full bar with good food. Service there was great. Bathrooms were older but very clean. Plenty of hot water.

Quads, dirt bikes and SxSs

Nice campground with full hookups and large pool. Prefect if you don’t want cell service. Lots of trails for riding. Great views. Could use some updating in some areas.

Would Definitely Go Back

Nice campground that sits on a beautiful lake. There’s a lot of stuff for kids to do and the local marina rents out pontoon boats as well. The shower houses were very clean as well. Each site has its own fire ring available.

Beautiful campground

The campsites are great and the people who come here are always really friendly, you’re bound to make some friends. Hiking here is gorgeous, and a good workout too.

Lakeside Retreat

This campground is located in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains, so the scenery is  spectacular.  The campground has 36 sites, 10 with electric and 26 standard sites for RV or tent camping.  You also have the  option to rent one of eleven cabins, or a room at the lodge which as great views of the lake.  The campground closes in the late fall, but some cabins, and the lodge, are open year-round.

The main attraction is Tygart Lake which is ten-miles long, so it's good for boating, swimming, fishing, kayaking, etc.  The launch ramps and parking lot at Tygart Lake have been expanded recently, so there's easy access for boaters.

One sad thing about Tygart Lake:  There was lots of trash on the banks when I visited.  When I spoke to the park superintendent, he says it washes in during the rainy winter months and becomes visible when the water recedes during the summer months.  The U-S Army Corps of Engineers is responsible for the clean-up since the lake and Tygart Lake Dam are part of the local flood control efforts.  They need to do a better job of trash removal!

Iconic WV Waterfall

There is dispersed camping throughout the state forest. As always, when practicing dispersed camping, ensure that you leave no trace. Stop by the visitor center to get your permit for camping.

Great place for quiet and fun. Place you can find community and solitude.

Privately owned. Golf carts for rent. Fabulous mtb trail network - worth paying for a pass to ride. Beautiful tent camping…mossy but not too buggy. Bring your own toilet paper.

A must camp!!

The grounds are beautiful, staff amazing. Store had everything we needed, Bath houses were spotless. Exercise area for pets is huge. Within five minutes a local grocery store. I love this campground and hope to return for the blue grass festival next year.

Dispersed Camping in the mountains

There are over 900,000 acres in the National forest for hiking and dispersed camping. Immerse yourself in nature and spend the weekend hiking and camping.

Beautiful Mountains

We often do dispersed, leave no trace, primitive camping throughout the state forest. There are wonderful, well maintained trails throughout. If you want to dive into nature within a 30 minute drive from Morgantown, this is your place to go. Take the scenic hike to raven’s rock for views that will not disappoint.

Great hiking and swimming

Right on the middle fork this campground is great for swimming and hiking.. fishing near buy away from the swimming holes. Had a great time.

Primitive but beautiful

Spacious sites with fire pits. Vault toilet and trash. A few minutes down the road from the Bickel Knob fire tower.

Best owners ever!

John and Joyce Bowers are awesome folks and are very caring and considerate. They go out of their way to make you feel like family. We camped along the wood line during a very busy weekend and had shade almost the entire time. John always made time to stop by and ask us if we needed anything. He was awesome.

Almost Heaven

Have been camping at Horseshoe annually for six years. Quite and remote. Great place to connect with family in the wide open spaces of West Virginia. Very nice bathroom facilities,no bath house but plenty of water. Activities; hiking, tubing, swimming, fishing, and any game you can think off to play in the wide open fields.

Relaxing

Laid back and always friendly people. This was our go to for years!

Needs improvement

Cost is getting ridiculous per night. Don’t leave your site to go to bath house, you’ll likely come back to the hot coals in your fire pit cleaned out. Employees aren’t pleasant. We’ve been camping here for years, but this last time was the last for us. Wouldn’t tell us what site we were being put on - yet told a friend (could’ve been total stranger as far as they knew) exactly where their site was AND ours. They cater to everyone on resort property, EXCEPT campers.

Truly a beautiful place and peaceful but it needs improvement in various areas.

20+ years later, still remember this spot!

I camped here 20+ years ago when I (a city girl) had just started camping and I still think about how awesome this place was. One day I'll definitely get back here. It was very secluded, quiet, and well-maintained. We had fun exploring around the campground climbing the boulders, and there were tons of trails nearby, plus overlooks with beautiful views. This place helped inspire my love of camping and being outdoors.

Lake in the mountains

Had a amazing time camping in this are. The camp sites are neat and clean. A lot of hiking trails to choose from and fishing, boating and swimming in the lake. Good place for a weekend trip

Great views and waterfalls nearby.

This state park offers nearby hikes with great views such as vistas and waterfalls . The only complaint is that the camping area was very small. Felt like we are were camping so very close to each other. Small sites. Also the facilities I don’t think have ever been updated. Showers and toilets old.

Unspoiled beauty

Very remote. Two small circles of sites the only amenity is pit toilets. The stream is stocked with trout in the spring and fall. My wife and I spent our honeymoon here 25 years ago and plan to return there this fall. Our son was married here in the stream in waders and we all went fishing after the ceremony. Lots of memories here. Maybe you can make some too!

Pretty Grounds

Stonewall Jackson is very established. There are well maintained roads and facilities. Plenty of space and hookups for RVs. Not the most remote location. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re looking to get out into the great outdoors. You’ll likely see your neighbors and other RVs. Still a pretty view of the lake.

Wonderful place

There are full hookups tent sites and Electric sites. There is 2 shower houses. There is a playground and a boat dock. This campground does not take reservations first come first serve. Bakers run is a family friendly campground pets were allowed last time I was there, just remember you have to clean up after your pet. I gave 4 stars because of the road to get to the campground otherwise it would be 5 stars.

One of the best in the state!

Had a amazing time at this campground. The sites were clean. Had drinkable water in walking distance and also public bathrooms with showers. The trails and views were amazing. Also good fishing near by. I highly recommend staying at this campsite.

Amazing Fun

Awesome views and great hiking trails. Not far from Cheat lake and cheat river for fishing. The camp sites are well kept and have easy access to bathrooms and firewood. Also cabins near by if you wish to rent out those. Must see for a weekend trip.

Nice place

Had a great time with family and friends

So much to do and see!

Blackwater Falls State Park has been on my list for a while. We finally made the trip last weekend and had a blast! The tent campground non-electric sites were ok. They had a picnic table and a fire ring, the site was pretty level. Our site #37 was near the bathroom which was a plus with kids but did not have a lot of privacy. People were walking right through our site to get to the bathrooms, so weird! It was pretty out in the open with not sparse trees around but I did see some sites that were more secluded. Next time I would choose one of those. The bathrooms were clean, a bit outdated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The campground was pretty full but didn’t seem crowded or noisy. Overall it was a pleasant experience, we were off doing stuff most of the time so we didn’t spend a lot of time at the campsite. There’s so much to do at this park! Multiple waterfalls, awesome hikes, a lake, a nature center for the kids, a petting zoo… the nearby towns of Davis and Thomas are very cute too with great coffee and food options. (Tip Top Coffee! Hellbender Burritos!) Highly recommend the park! Next time we’re here I’ll try to find a better site.

Fantastic!

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Rhodeodendron Campground during a climbing trip. It is the more primitive campground, but we very much enjoyed it. The sites are spread out and not on top of each other, giving you privacy. It was nice and quiet, which I very much value. The only complaint was that the bathrooms were a bit of a hike, but they were flush toilets so it's not really much of a complaint. Great experience there. Were also allowed to head over to the McCollum Campground to use the wifi, showers, and facilities there.