Sutton Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Sutton Lake Camping Reviews
Plenty of sites

This is a big campground, but they still get you in there pretty close. You have to go into the hotel to check in. We only stayed over night, but they seemed to have several activities for the family.

Quite possibly my favorite park.

Stonewall Jackson State Park has been one of my favorite places to visit, especially for a weekend getaway, for a very long time. It was once the best RV or “car camp” camping spot around, but it has become a fairly popular tourist resort and the noise and light from the lodge can be disruptive to those seeking nature’s peaceful separation (hence 4 stars instead of five for camping). Aside from this, the park has much to offer for just about anyone. It has everything from an Arnold Palmer golf course, to hike/bike trails, to any type of water activity possible on a lake, as well as various indoor facilities to enjoy during inclement weather.

As I grow older, I find myself spending more time at the lodge than at the campground. Inside the lodge you will find an excellent restaurant and bar, an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, spa, equipment rentals, etc.

It is what you make of it. Middle of no-where

There are bears.

Other campgrounds have more to offer

Nice and quiet but no amenities. The bathrooms weren’t in any where close to great shape. The sites are pretty close. The staff is really nice though.

Very nice campground and park

Stonewall is a very nice campground with full hookups. Campsites have blacktop pads to park on. Campsites are level tent sites have platforms. Has bathrooms with showers.

Basic Camping

Primitive tent camping with spacious sites, RV and cabins too; friendly staff, small bathhouse and small gift shop; cute and earthy pub and grill with live music; offer rafting adventures and horseback riding.

The rafting trip was fun, but we took the double express trip which means you do the same ride twice in one day- I don't recommend this as I was bored the second round. Athough the check-in attendant was very nice, he "didn't get around to" chopping any firewood, so he sent me to a neighboring campground to buy some. Since bringing outside/foreign wood is not allowed, I was extremely annoyed (and hungry) when I had to stop at 3 different places to find/buy some. I will not be booking another stay here.

Resort

Stonewall is a resort with a very nice campground. The bathrooms are clean and they have nice showers. At the lodge there’s some restaurants, indoor outdoor pool, spa, you can rent kayaks to paddle around. They also have a boat that will take you on a tour of the lake. I highly recommend going to the marine to feed the carp. It’s definitely an experience.

Peaceful creekside

Beautiful tent sites along the creek! I was there in late summer, but I plan to return in late spring when the rhododendrons would be in bloom. Access is by about 6 miles of dirt/rock road. There are many trails at all hiking levels.

Not Great Tent Camping

This campground is mainly for RVs, tent camping here is not the best. With that being said it is one of the only campgrounds that is actually on Summersville lake which makes it nice for easy access to the lake and cliffs. It is also a super popular campground so reserve ahead of time to make sure you’re guaranteed a spot at one of the 110 campsites. They also have seven walk-in primitive camping sites that are nice but still fill up quickly on weekends. They have a bath house with flush toilets, water spigots, laundry, and a dumping station. Because this is on the lake you can dock your boat at their own docks right off of your site- which is also convenient.

While the lake does allow power boating, kayaks and paddle boarding are still very popular as this is an immense 2790-acre lake. It is one of the clearest lakes in the east, so scuba diving is also very popular here. Rock climbing is also a great use of these cliffs that surround the lake as well as cliff jumping, this is at your own risk as there are large rocks/boulders in the water below. However, you will notice most locals know where the best swimming and jumping are. Overall, great place to come and explore.

Waterfalls of Fun

This campground has plenty to offer for the whole family. The privacy of each site varies, on the weekends it is very busy though. There are 88 campsites with electrical hookups, picnic tables, and fire ring. There are 2 sites with primitive campgrounds. They only allow one tent or trailer on a site. The campground has 4 bathhouses that are centrally localized, it contains flush toilets, hot showers, water spigots, and coin laundry. Dogs are allowed on a leash.

This park has lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, biking, fishing, and horseback riding. The park has a total of 4 waterfalls to explore. They have basketball, tennis, and volleyball courts, and a pool for campers to enjoy. They also have cabins to rent if you are not feeling up to camping.

Beautiful in Every Season

This campground is deep in the woods of Buckhannon. There are 67 campsites with picnic table, fire grate, and moveable bench, 13 of these sites have electricity hookups. There are two bath houses in the campground that have hot showers, flush toilets, and coin laundry. Pets are permitted. There is an onsite dumping station as well. The outer edge of the campground has sites next to the river but be weary of low sites during rainy days as the river rises rapidly. It is $25 a night and sites can be reserved over phone, but first come-first serve basis.

There are a couple hiking trails that offer beautiful scenery and views of the river, along with the Alum Cave. It is a popular spot for fishing, also a big swimming area for those that live in the area.

Awesome first night

It has tent and RV camping. The managers are really nice and you’re not that far way from several attractions. Some really great beer places close by as well. Nice a shady too. I’d like to go back and do some exploring around the area. Just be careful with what gps app you use. Mine took me an interesting route that ended in someone’s drive way.

Nice campground - great for climbers especially!

This is a very well thought out campground and is a great option for climbers visiting the area. each site has a wooden tent platform (10'x10') to set up on, which is a huge plus since the ground is so uneven throughout. Each site has a picnic table and a parking space as well.

There aren't group sites available, but whoever in our group was organizing managed to get multiple sites next to each other, which was nice.

We ended up doing all of our cooking and eating in the big covered communal porch on the shower house with lights and big kitchen sinks for cleaning up as it was a very rainy weekend. It's handy to be able to cut through from the lower to the upper sites on little foot trails to get to the common areas.

Showers are quarter operated but I was too much of a cheapskate to partake. But the facilities were clean!

Magnificent

Hard to access, need 4 wheel drive and GPS, good sense of direction.

Gorgeous views

This campground is situated on gorgeous Summersville Lake! It has all you could ask for in a campground including RV and tent sites, bathhouses with showers, dump facilities for RVs, and the most beautiful clear lake water!!! No loud noises after 10pm makes it ideal! We had a tent site with a fire pit and picnic table on a point of land surrounded by water! We didn't fish much but the swimming was incredible!

family friendly

good shady sites. good area for kids to ride bikes. some sites were tight fit for our tent but we still enjoyed it. took our kayaks we stayed right next to lake. good clean bathroom and campground. hosts do great job. loop C did have a few visits from a skunk but he didnt bother anyone. cell service is spotty but they do offer wifi for a small fee, but your camping…get outside and enjoy.

family friendly

great playgrounds. many memories made here. good shady sites. good my bike trail too.

Beautiful area with a nice camp sight

I love the area, so beautiful. Good campsight as well. We were a bit worried about bears, but we kept all food and garbage in the car and never saw one

Great getaway

I love that we can choose a site and reserve online. Much easier than driving around to find an open spot. We stayed at the waters edge this time. It was nice and quiet, close to the bath house, water fountain and playground. Our site was nice sized and not on top of another. We had a picnic table, some shade, electric and a fire pit. There’s a boat ramp with fishing and swimming areas within the campground as well as a beach area and fishing about half mile away. The campground is clean and cared for. There’s a historical area that’s really neat and a country store with things you may have forgotten - the ice cream and pizza are great too!

We saw deer and a skunk came up to our site twice.

Mountain Lake

Mountain Lake Campground is one of my favorite places to stay. The staff at the office are all super nice and helpful. We always stay in a wooded camp site that's just private enough, but not too far from anything you could need. During October, they do really fun Halloween stuff for the kids, too!

Babcock in July

Great Campground! It was quiet, clean, and there is so much to do in the park - hiking, mountain biking and there is really good paddling and climbing nearby.

There are several trails available. Great sleeping with the Laurel Fork running right my the sites. Perfect if you have children. There is a pool and other activities available. We stayed at sites 35 & 36.

Great location

We stayed here in a trailer for 3 nights. The location is great. It is right on the river and is very pretty. You can fish right from your site. The owner is very nice and will go out of her way to help make your stay a good one. It is walking distance from a grocery store which was very convenient. The bathrooms and showers were OK. The site and overall campground was a bit rundown, and needed some maintenance, but the river view made up for it. I would definitely return.

peaceful

long path along river, very beautiful area

wow

spectacular area to camp. it is a dirt road in and out, the camp host was super friendly and the vault toilets were clean.

Quiet campground in a WV state park

This is a pleasant campground. Lots of shade. Hiking trails nearby. Nice fishing ponds, but you have to drive to them.

Quiet and wet

We spent a few days here. Plenty of camp sites that have electric hookups. Stay near the water or further away. Playground for the kids and nice hiking trails. Bath houses were clean. Very friendly staff. Every morning and every night it rained which made it difficult to swim and fish. The park workers said this is common year round. This is a nice quiet area.

Beautiful and relaxing

Beautiful area to relax and unwind. Spots for all - shaded areas as well as sunny sites near the water. Very clean and quiet. Historical area that’s an easy walk displaying living in the the civil war era. No cell service; WiFi available but pricey. Nice, clean bathhouse. Great beach and swimming area just a short drive.

A Work in Progress

This is a quiet campground, with lots of space and site options, run independently by a family. Most sites are simple with just a picnic table and fire pit. There are lots of trees in between many of the sites for great privacy. There is only one bath house and it can be a short hike depending on the location of your site, but it was clean, had several stalls, showers, sinks and electricity.

The campground charges per person which was different from what I'm used to, but it was very reasonable and comparable to other campgrounds in the area.

The family is working regularly to add to this campground and make it better. There are visible works in progress all over. The owner stopped us on the way out and asked for feedback. He is eager to make improvements.

Dog-friendly

Has a Frisbee/Disc Golf Course.

Close to rivers, climbing and hiking activities.

Cell reception was great all throughout this area. That's not a camping necessity for us, but we all noticed that everyone's phone had great reception with a variety of network providers. We do a lot of remote camping and expect our phones not to have reception. This made it easy to research new activities and things to see while we were there.

My apologies for not having photos of our site. My phone malfunctioned on this trip and had to be replaced. The photos did not transfer sadly.