Sutton Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Sutton Lake Camping Reviews
Would Definitely Go Back

Nice campground that sits on a beautiful lake. There’s a lot of stuff for kids to do and the local marina rents out pontoon boats as well. The shower houses were very clean as well. Each site has its own fire ring available.

Great little campground near Mt Hope, WV and near BSA's "Summit"

We had a great time at this campground. Very close to the BSA's"Summit Bechtel" site, where they hold the National Jamborees and held the 2019 World Scout Jamboree. As such, people registered for the full event stayed there, and those of us coming for just a few days stayed at other nearby places, such as Rifrafters. The camp was(understandably) filled with others coming for the Jamboree.:-)

Campsite was good and clean; short walk for all to the bath house; they ha a small playground, which the kids loved. They have wood for sale, as well as basic camping and food supplies(cans of beans, marshmallows, peanut butter, sodas/pop/cola, etc, lighters/matches, ice, etc). Also had 2 super-lovey kittens living in the office, which were a big hit with everyone.

The only downsite was that our campsite(#7) had no place for a tent other than stone driveway-like ground. As such, even new, very strong tent stakes bend and do not go in at all…had to weigh the tend down with gear and hope for no super-high gusts of wind.

Other than that, it was a great experience! Checkout by 12 noon at the latest.

Dispersed Camping in the mountains

There are over 900,000 acres in the National forest for hiking and dispersed camping. Immerse yourself in nature and spend the weekend hiking and camping.

Great Views

We did dispersed camping while hiking. Of course, you come all the way to Pendleton and not go to the actual rocks while you’re here. This can get quite crowded on the weekends.

Stunning views even better people

This camp site was easily accessible and seats to find. The rates were very low and affordable for an avid backpacker. I stayed on one of the walk in sites with a tent pad and fire pit. It was more than what you need. Everyone was super friendly and inviting. The views are stunning from the site and trails. Highly recommend this place.

Great hiking and swimming

Right on the middle fork this campground is great for swimming and hiking.. fishing near buy away from the swimming holes. Had a great time.

Had one of the best times

We stayed in a cabin this time. One of the pioneer cabins. Let me say it was awesome, wood stove, gas light, outhouse and had to get your own water. The cabin was well put together and the staff has you set up to enjoy your stay with everything from soap to cut wood. There was a lake a minute walk from our cabin and greenbrier was close. I would recommend this to anyone.

Beautiful Country

Backpacked and Camped here multiple times for both hiking and fishing. The main trail is graveled and very easily accessed. It runs along the Cranberry River with beautiful views all along the way. The River offers both stocked trout fishing along with wild trout tribs in a few places. You can pretty much camp where ever you’d like and there are also Adirondack style shelters in various spots along the trail. One thing to remember is always hang your food at night. Bears will come in and make themselves at home! Lol

Needs improvement

Cost is getting ridiculous per night. Don’t leave your site to go to bath house, you’ll likely come back to the hot coals in your fire pit cleaned out. Employees aren’t pleasant. We’ve been camping here for years, but this last time was the last for us. Wouldn’t tell us what site we were being put on - yet told a friend (could’ve been total stranger as far as they knew) exactly where their site was AND ours. They cater to everyone on resort property, EXCEPT campers.

Truly a beautiful place and peaceful but it needs improvement in various areas.

Wooded tent campsites

Stayed here 2 nights with all our children and grandchildren. We had a great couple days with rain at times. Site was large with lots of trees. Seth was very friendly and helpful. This is a nonelectric site campground and I found that appealing. There are flush toilets and showers. We hiked Endless Wall Trail and Glade Creek Trail to Kate’s Falls

Kayakers' Dream-- Whitewater Wonder

Tawney Farm is part of a growing trend of agrotourism in West Virginia where farmers allow visitors to camp on their land.

The proximity to the Gauley River makes this primitive campground an ideal place for kayakers to stay during the whitewater season in September and October.  That's when the meadows and hills around Tawney Farm will be filled with tent campers ready to ride the rapids.

James and Susan Tawney are the perfect hosts because they're super nice and sincerely interested in talking about their sheep farm, the history of Panther Mountain, and the best places to swim, fish and kayak on the Gauley River.

I enjoyed a couple nights of "glamping" when I stayed at the Tawney Farm "Nut House," appropriately named because James crafted it from recycled wood, including cherry, beechnut and black walnut.

The primitive cabin has electricity, a full-sized roll-away bed and a futon.  There's no bathroom or running water, so I used the clean port-a-potties and community propane-heated shower and had access to a fire pit and charcoal grill.

Great hospitality!  James prepped my fire pit with free wood and Susan made sure I had plenty of charcoal, then loaned me BBQ tools so I could grill my dinner without scorching my hands.

The Wild and Woolly Primitive Campground includes a group area where guests can cook, wash their dishes, and hangout.  There's a small store with raw wool crafts, fresh farm eggs and black walnuts, plus and a stage for live music during the peak season.

I wanted to make sure I got some nice photos of their sheep, so James and Susan brought the flock down for a closer look and encouraged some young guests to pet them.

The access road to Tawney Farm is gravel with a tree growing in the middle, so take caution at night.  The nearby roads leading to the Gauley River National Recreation Area are in good shape but a little nerve-wracking because they're so narrow there's not much room to get out of the way when you come face-to-face with tour buses shuttling paddlers to and from the Gauley River.

I checked out Mason Branch and Woods Ferry where I enjoyed some nice hiking, paddling and swimming.  Since it was summer, the kayakers I spotted were using "rubber duckies" so they could negotiate the rocky river without getting stuck.

Mason Branch has an unmarked, unmaintained trail near the parking lot where you can see a couple of nice waterfalls.  There's a trail to the left of the lower falls that takes you to a higher waterfall the locals call "Janie's Hole."  The story I heard is Janie was a young lady who died after she either fell or jumped from the top of this falls.

There's another interesting local story about the nearby Summersville Lake.  This crystal clear lake was created when an earthen dam was built that covered the small farming community of Gad with water.  My 98-year old mom says no one wanted to call it the "Gad Dam" because it sounded like they were using the Lord's name in vane, so they settled on the next closest town and named it the Summersville Dam.  Water released from this lake in the fall is what creates the world-class whitewater on the Gauley River.

Pretty Grounds

Stonewall Jackson is very established. There are well maintained roads and facilities. Plenty of space and hookups for RVs. Not the most remote location. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re looking to get out into the great outdoors. You’ll likely see your neighbors and other RVs. Still a pretty view of the lake.

Best Family Camping Experience

Babcock State Park is one of the greatest parks in West Virginia. Most people come to see the grist mill, and it’s nice, but if that’s all you do your missing out.

For starters, most of the sites at the campground are great: fairly flat with soft ground and good tree coverage. The campground is split by Old Clifftop Rd, with the majority of the campground south of the road. We stayed on Site 15 (non-electric site), which I thought was one of the best sites. The campground was quiet, family-friendly, and clean. Some of the campsites were small and right on top of each other.

The campground is served by one bathhouse, centrally located in the middle of it. The bathhouse was fairly clean but well-used and includes flush toilets, showers, and hot water. A fairly new playground sits right next to the bathhouse. All the equipment was well-maintained and freshly mulched. Our site was close enough to the playground that we let our seven-year-old go by herself, since we could still hear her.

We only hiked on two trails, but it was some of the most fun hiking I’ve ever done. Mann’s Creek Gorge Trail is a two-mile walk from the campground to Camp Washington Carver. About a quarter of a mile you come the creek with a great swimming hole. We didn’t make it past the swimming hole but I’m looking forward to finishing the trail in the future. Island-In-the-Sky is a great climb through a tunnel of rhododendron that eventually winds up and around a rock shelf. To get to the top you have to climb up a couple ladders and over rocks. There are also several spurs off the trail that lead to overlooks and one that leads to a good size cave the size of the room.

I highly recommend that anyone looking to camp in the Fayetteville-area consider Babcock, you won’t be disappointed.

The great escape

If your looking for a weekend getaway or a week long rest. Look no farther. The fishing here is the best around with beautiful waterfalls like big ruff and the ducks are so colorful like no other. Been going for 3 years now and always an awesome getaway. You won’t be disappointed

Wonderful place

There are full hookups tent sites and Electric sites. There is 2 shower houses. There is a playground and a boat dock. This campground does not take reservations first come first serve. Bakers run is a family friendly campground pets were allowed last time I was there, just remember you have to clean up after your pet. I gave 4 stars because of the road to get to the campground otherwise it would be 5 stars.

Best free camping, HANDS DOWN

Close to any store you may need, flat & comfortable sites, no bath house but potties are very convenient. Whether you're fishing, rafting, swimming or kayaking there's plenty of options here!

Babcock

Nice campground. The park is spectacular. The most photographed place in west Virginia is the grist mill. Awesome trails all around.

Awesome

It was wonderful for our RV and family staying in their beautiful cabins

Upscale, Pristine, A Little Pricey

Stonewall Resort State Park is now the official name of this mountain retreat located around the edges of Stonewall Jackson Lake.  It's not your typical WV state park because it's managed by a private developer which means that Benchmark Management gets to set the pricing for the lodge, cabins and campgrounds.

It's not outrageous, but I paid $55/night mid-week for a 30-amp site which could run about $35/night at a state-run resort such as Pipestem.

What you get for the extra cash is a well-staffed, beautifully-maintained resort with every imaginable amenity including boating, fishing, swimming, a Palmer golf course, disc golf and tennis.  You can rent boats, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, road bikes and even segways.

I would say the Stonewall Resort Lodge is geared to upscale out-of-state tourists, but l could see locals using it for anniversaries, romantic getaways, and special occasions.

The campground is upscale, as well, with 30 and 50-amp full-service RV sites, many with lake views and some with tie-ups for those who bring their own boats.  I chose a spot under the pine trees where I was close enough to the lake's edge so I could hand-carry my kayak to the water for a peaceful paddle.

There are a limited number of tent sites, with wooden platforms, tucked into the woods where kayak or canoe access would be right outside your tent flap.  There are a half-dozen hiking trails, mostly easy to moderate difficulty, with a total of 16-miles to explore.

If you get sick of camping, or would just like to sip an adult beverage, there's a boardwalk across the lake to the lodge patio where you can sample one of three restaurants or visit the outdoor bar.

Best WV State Park Campground

I’ve not stayed at them all but this has to be one of the best campgrounds at a WV State Park. Great campsites on the river with great fishing and kayaking opportunities. So many great hiking trails and things to do in the park.

Something About This Place

We love Bulltown. This is the 2nd year in a row we have stayed multiple times. Great sites on and near the lake. Bath houses are clean and well maintained and the people are friendly.

Plenty of sites

This is a big campground, but they still get you in there pretty close. You have to go into the hotel to check in. We only stayed over night, but they seemed to have several activities for the family.

Quite possibly my favorite park.

Stonewall Jackson State Park has been one of my favorite places to visit, especially for a weekend getaway, for a very long time. It was once the best RV or “car camp” camping spot around, but it has become a fairly popular tourist resort and the noise and light from the lodge can be disruptive to those seeking nature’s peaceful separation (hence 4 stars instead of five for camping). Aside from this, the park has much to offer for just about anyone. It has everything from an Arnold Palmer golf course, to hike/bike trails, to any type of water activity possible on a lake, as well as various indoor facilities to enjoy during inclement weather.

As I grow older, I find myself spending more time at the lodge than at the campground. Inside the lodge you will find an excellent restaurant and bar, an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, spa, equipment rentals, etc.

It is what you make of it. Middle of no-where

There are bears.

Other campgrounds have more to offer

Nice and quiet but no amenities. The bathrooms weren’t in any where close to great shape. The sites are pretty close. The staff is really nice though.

Very nice campground and park

Stonewall is a very nice campground with full hookups. Campsites have blacktop pads to park on. Campsites are level tent sites have platforms. Has bathrooms with showers.

Basic Camping

Primitive tent camping with spacious sites, RV and cabins too; friendly staff, small bathhouse and small gift shop; cute and earthy pub and grill with live music; offer rafting adventures and horseback riding.

The rafting trip was fun, but we took the double express trip which means you do the same ride twice in one day- I don't recommend this as I was bored the second round. Athough the check-in attendant was very nice, he "didn't get around to" chopping any firewood, so he sent me to a neighboring campground to buy some. Since bringing outside/foreign wood is not allowed, I was extremely annoyed (and hungry) when I had to stop at 3 different places to find/buy some. I will not be booking another stay here.

Resort

Stonewall is a resort with a very nice campground. The bathrooms are clean and they have nice showers. At the lodge there’s some restaurants, indoor outdoor pool, spa, you can rent kayaks to paddle around. They also have a boat that will take you on a tour of the lake. I highly recommend going to the marine to feed the carp. It’s definitely an experience.

Peaceful creekside

Beautiful tent sites along the creek! I was there in late summer, but I plan to return in late spring when the rhododendrons would be in bloom. Access is by about 6 miles of dirt/rock road. There are many trails at all hiking levels.

Not Great Tent Camping

This campground is mainly for RVs, tent camping here is not the best. With that being said it is one of the only campgrounds that is actually on Summersville lake which makes it nice for easy access to the lake and cliffs. It is also a super popular campground so reserve ahead of time to make sure you’re guaranteed a spot at one of the 110 campsites. They also have seven walk-in primitive camping sites that are nice but still fill up quickly on weekends. They have a bath house with flush toilets, water spigots, laundry, and a dumping station. Because this is on the lake you can dock your boat at their own docks right off of your site- which is also convenient.

While the lake does allow power boating, kayaks and paddle boarding are still very popular as this is an immense 2790-acre lake. It is one of the clearest lakes in the east, so scuba diving is also very popular here. Rock climbing is also a great use of these cliffs that surround the lake as well as cliff jumping, this is at your own risk as there are large rocks/boulders in the water below. However, you will notice most locals know where the best swimming and jumping are. Overall, great place to come and explore.