the dyrt
About Dolly Sods Picnic Area
This small picnic area is nestled among the trees near the top of the Allegheny Plateau. Dolly Sods picnic area is located near the Dolly Sods Scenic Area and Dolly Sods Wilderness. ACTIVITIES Camping: Red Creek Campground is located north of the picnic area. Red Creek Campground offers 12 campsites that include picnic tables, fire rings, tent pads, and lantern holders. Hiking: The Dolly Sods Wilderness offers challenging hiking experiences because the trail junctions are not signed and there are no bridges over stream crossing. Topo maps are recommended for wilderness adventures. Picnicking: Each site has a picnic table, grill, and waste receptacle.
Drive In, Walk In, Hike In
USDA Forest Service
Contact
Dolly Sods Picnic Area is located in West Virginia
Directions
From Petersburg, West Virginia, take State Route 55 south to State Route 4. Turn right and go one mile to Forest Road 19. Turn left on Forest Road 19 for six miles and turn left at the intersection of Forest Road 19 and Forest Road 75. the picnic area is one mile on the left.
9 Reviews of Dolly Sods Picnic Area
Trails Upon Trails

This campground is pretty small and rustic with only 12 sites. They only have vault toilets and a water pump. Each site has a picnic table, fire pit, and utility post. No electrical or water hookup. The cost per night is $11 and it’s a first come- first serve basis. The campground is a place to just rest your head as there are over 10,000 acres of wilderness to explore with lots of trails to choose from. Late July and early August there are lots of berries to pick along the trails, while the Fall months are some of the most beautiful with the views at Bear Rocks.

Backpacking the entire loop

The landscape was serene and beautiful, the camping was great The hike was diverse but a swamp in more parts than bearable. We were prepared for muddy washed out areas…this was needing knee high rubber boots to leisurely get through swamp areas. I think that alone deters me from this destination being hiked again.

beautiful and remote

This camp ground is a primitive, small campground in Dolly Sods. There are lots really nice trail heads in the area. It’s a pretty popular area to hike, so campground can become full quick. For a nice short hiking loop in the area, I suggest TR 560 and merge onto TR510. Pictures of trails are attached.

Beautiful Adventure

The views at Dolly Sods are incredible. Plenty of open plains that allow site seeing but also forest cover for great camping in wet conditions. We saw plenty of wildlife! There were many private camp sites to choose from but none are marked… you just find a fire ring and flat ground and pitch your tent. The only reason I gave it a lower rating is because it was SO WET. I'm talking mud up to our knees. We were prepared to be wet, but this was totally unavoidable and by day 3 our feet were soaked beyond belief. If we ever go back it will be in the dry season!

Quiet and tranquil

The water pump no longer operates, however, there is a path that leads to a spring so just make sure to bring your own water or a way to treat the water from the spring. Campsite three was awesome! It was quiet and wooded and leads right up to a trail so super convenient! No showers so be aware but there are toilets that are a hole in the ground. Overall, had a great experience!

Not as great as I thought it would be

The Dolly Sods heath barrens are spectacular especially in fall. There are some great overlooks and beautiful scenery. Despite that, this campground does not capture the beauty of it's surroundings. In addition, when we were there the pump handle was missing so there was no water available. We had our own water pump but there is not a readily available stream nearby. When we arrived it was dry on the plateau and very dusty until we got some rain. It is a great location as there is a lot of hiking nearby, but it is a long trek down the mountain if you need anything, like water.

Great Campground

Eleven sites total and each one has a fire pit with grill cover as well as a picnic table. As of this review, it is $11 per site per night and you will need cash for that. The campground is kept up very well. The grass was cut, there were several trash cans available, and the two bathrooms are clean but they are vault toilets so keep that in mind. My wife and I stayed at site #10 and were able to hang both of our hammocks there. At least three other sites that I noticed could also accommodate at least a couple of hammocks but they were taken at the time. Overall it was quiet, clean, and perfectly located to a lot of great points of interest within Dolly Sods, most notably the Blackbird Knob trailhead which is only about 20 yards from the campground entrance. I would highly recommend it!

Great spot

This is one of my favorite spots. It is away from everything and it is surrounded by a ton of hiking trails. Great camping, great hiking.

Beautiful and secluded

Great base camp for day hikes around Dolly Sods. Quiet and clean.