the dyrt
Aberdeen, WASHINGTON
Most Recent Aberdeen Camping Reviews
Stunning. Breathtaking.

This is my favorite campground ever! We went late August 2018 and the lake was gorgeous! The campground is on the lake, beautiful views. Parking is difficult in some sites for trailers, due to being on a hill. The host was awesome, the creek that runs behind the host site leads to the lake. Bathrooms were clean. You are camping in a rainforest! Campground is on Southshore rd, I HIGHLY recommend taking the slow dirt Rd on Northshore Rd. Such gorgeous views, I saw a bear, maybe 2.

Very nice!

The camp ground was very nice with good sized Rv sites. The sites were pretty private

The bathroom was well maintained and clean. Good location and close to the ocean. We will be back again.

Nice State Park with Plenty to Do. Lake, Hiking, Store.

This is a very nice, typical Washington state park with plenty of trees, greenery, hiking, pathways and even a lake. There's a camp store along with several large outdoor kitchens that would be good to use for groups. Many of the structures like the kitchens and even bathrooms were built back in the 1930s by the CCC, which is pretty cool. It's just far enough off I-5 to not have the freeway noise, but close enough to be convenient. It's also nearby to Great Wolf Lodge if you're looking for a place to stay near there.

On the other hand, the RV sites especially are basically in a big field with a cement road going around it. The sites have tables and fire pits, but no privacy what-so-ever. The tent sites are slightly better, with more trees, but still very close to one another.

The campground also has glamping available (canvas permanent tents) that looked cool.

Friendly, family-run wooded campground with pool. Many full-timers.

In general, I tend to avoid campgrounds where the majority of spots are taken by full-timers, preferring state parks and such. But this is nice and friendly enough, despite having many RVs and such that look like they've been there for years, that I wouldn't mind staying at while "passing through."

Nice, clean store at the front of the property including the cheapest gas in the area. The woman and her young daughter working at the front desk were super-nice and helpful. Camping and RV prices were very fair for the area ($20-$30).

Tent sites, as well as the swimming pool, are only open during the summer.

My all time favorite

This is my favorite place to camp. Our kids loved going there and now our grandchildren love it. So much to do with a nice beach at the park. More beaches in Westport along with fishing and crabbing make the days go by so fast because of all the fun you are having. Lots to do in the surrounding area.

Great Grays Harbor County spot!!

This is another great Grays Harbor County spot just south of Montesano. Like Lake Sylvia it is super family and pet friendly. The campsite is divided into two different areas…one for RVs and the other for tents. The facilities are all well maintained and the bathrooms have showers. It is a pretty quiet campground even though it is near a highway.

There are lots of spots to fish in the campground as well as the surrounding areas.

Hidden Gem

Set in a former logging camp above the town of Montesano, park life revolves around a large swimming and fishing lake. This site is super family friendly and pet friendly too.

There is a playground on site and TONS of old logging roses turned bike trails.

There are plenty of tent and RV sites and s few primitive sites for campers. There are showers a flushing toilets.

GREAT HIKING!

Really liked the campground, but definitely loved that the hiking was amazing!! The campground was pretty clean, a little smaller, but we liked how well kept it was. The campsite spots are fairly big, and separated by some trees and shrubs. We like when campsites are separated by something because it doesn't feel like we are right next to our neighbors. We have been to some sites where the spots are small and right next to each other with no barriers. The bathrooms were pretty clean, but definitely bring your own toilet paper. They ran out toward the end of our stay. It was a little busy, but not too bad. The hiking was great, and nearby. There is also a walking path right next to the campground that my parents enjoyed going on and walking our dog. Dogs are allowed but must be kept on a leash. The campground is easy to find, and the road was great when we went. This place would be beautiful in the fall to come with all the changing colors of the trees.

Lovely secluded site

Lovely and secluded sites 30 amp, dump station, playground, great well stocked store,laundry, and helpful staff. Trails in area.

Lovely ,tree lined family run campground

Quite, secluded sites,well maintained . Several types of areas,hook ups 30 amp, showers,water,dump station , and playground,

Amazing beauty!

Gorgeous Lush Greenery everywhere you look. Beautiful sparkling amazing Lake. Lake Quinault Lodge is a must-see ,friendly people ,lots of hiking trails, campgrounds are amazing and clean running water bathrooms…

I run this ORV Campground, Day Use and Gun Range.

We have 33 campsites, Tent sites and some great pull through sites for Rv's and ORVs, 4 vault toilets that I do my best to keep clean and stocked of toilet paper. I sell firewood bundles with a kindling bundle in the middle wrapped in newspaper for 5 bucks, nice size bundles and/or Gator loads for 20, 15 and 10. I have a garden hose at my site for people to fill water containers and a power pole at my site for airing up mattresses, charging phones, ect. , I sometimes will paint rocks with kids while parents ride ORVs if possible but always have painted rocks hidden in Camp and throughout Capitol Forest and am owner of , Facebook group, Capitol Forest Rocks! #CFR I handout updated copies of Capitol Forest maps and trails, Campground phone number is 360 534 0163.

Great classic state park camping!

There are two excellent lighthouses, Waikiki beach, and the north jetti of the Columbia to explore. The longer distance to awesome northern Oregon beaches isn't that bad, and there's the Longbeaxh area near by to check out as well! The little shop near the ranger station has ice cream, and I hear the local pizza place will deliver to your tent for $$$. If you have never tried them before, the yurts are worth it.

Overlooking the Beach

This campground is awesome.  Waking up in your tent to the sounds of crashing waves and drinking your coffee on the bluff looking out over the ocean is as relaxing as it gets.  THe campground is about 50 spots that are tightly packed with nice restrooms.  THe beach is accessible to roam miles each way.  Bring water.

Peaceful campground in the rainforest.

We stayed here during our trip to Olympic National Park. The campground was in one of the National Park's rainforest areas and felt quite magical. The sites are first come, but we didn't have trouble getting a site in late September. There is no potable water, so make sure to bring what you need or filter from the Quinault River. You do have to travel down a gravel road to get to the campsite. Just a bit further down the road is the trailhead to a few hikes. We did the Pony Bridge 5 mile out and back hike, which was beautifyl! The lack of potable water and shower facilities is a bit of a down side, but the beauty of the campgrounds makes up for that!

Peaceful

Great relaxing location. Really close to lake Cashman. Campgrounds provide plenty of space for groups of 8-10. Very clean and beautiful location for summer camping.

Good beach!

This spot gives great beach views. We will definitely be coming back next summer. It’s clean and well kept. The spots are big enough for us too

Ended up going during International Kite Festival!

Wow! This place was one of our favorite spots in WA. The beach access is located very close. The beach is clean and lots of fun smaller cliffs to climb on. The International Kite Festival was in town couple miles up so we walked the beach to it few days while staying. There’s a great boardwalk too if you struggle with walking on beach. The town has a array of boutiques, stores, restaurants and places just to mingle. We will definitely be coming back to this campground next year.

Super busy without much privacy, but still a fun place

We stayed in the group camp and I can highly recommend it. It had it's own (slightly frightening- not well cleaned, run down) bathrooms. It was set back in the woods with tons of places for tents. The shelter was large and had water and power.

The rest of the campground (the individual sites) were pretty packed in and very full. But the bathrooms over there were much cleaner and nicer.

The beach is the main attraction and it is hopping. We went early in the morning and staked a claim and were happy all day. There is a nice shallow area and two large swimming areas as well as a fishing dock. The lake is small and great for letting kids go out in kayaks or other boats.

Nice secluded campsites

These sites are nice and secluded. Most are like little wooded coves. The tent sites were small, but good for a 4-6 persom tent. The restrooms are clean and have showers. The city of Westport was charming and not a far drive.

Great family campground

Large campground with RV sites, tent camping area, and cabins. There is a clubhouse with a pool, board games, and movies. They also have a swing set, horseshoes, beach volleyball, and mini golf. Neighbors were friendly and it was quite at night. There is also a laundry facility and we like to go to Long Beach and Astoria nearby for the markets on the weekend.

Perfect Nature Campground

If you are looking for a cammpground that is not large and crowded and is what they used to be like, then this is for you. This privately owned campground has full hookups and tent sites. It has clean showers and restrooms, a rec room, and laundry. There is a tank dump and propane. You also have a bar/restaurant next door. There are 20 acres with trails that take you along a creek and a thick forest that includes wild berries. This is a welcome escape from the crazy world and crowded campgrounds.

Quiet campground with lots to do

Beautiful old growth campground with multiple hiking trails. Decent privacy with larger campsites. We used the walk-in sites near the river bank during the off-season (=FREE!). Only 2 other campers during our stay, very quiet. Dogs allowed. Close to Mt. Elinor.

yes but no

on the one hand- beach! on the other hand- pretty barren camp offerings. kind of just a parking lot on the bluff. The beach is… beachy- not as amazing as some in the vicinity. Still a nice accessible way to wake up at the coast. They say this is an amazing place to go clamming, but we haven't tried it yet. We fried up some fish (another perk of living outdoors= no fishy kitchen).

Ranger Review: Midland X-Talker T61VP3 Walkie Talkies at Rose Creek Retreat

CAMPGROUND REVIEW

The Rose Creek Retreat is located about 2 hours northwest of Portland in Washington across from Astoria. This private campground resides on the rocky shores of the mouth of the mighty Columbia River. Nestled into the lush hillside between 2 river ghost towns, Altoona and Cottardi Station, the campground features 3 separate campsites that each offer privacy with their own unique features.

The owner, Sol, and his wife have been rehabilitating the forest on the property for several years. They have have worked tirelessly to repair the impact of logging and dumping. The couple is on a mission to create the premier boutique-style camping experience in a wilderness sanctuary and agro-forestry project. The property features lush greenery, native edible vegetation, and beautiful rose gardens all designed with permaculture in mind.

I arrived prior to the guests staying in the Rose Garden campsite and was able to get a full tour of the property. On the edge of the Columbia River, the Rose Garden site has a large mowed grassy area tucked into the hillside bordered by beautiful flower gardens with roses, fuchsias, and hellebore. The Rose Garden also features a beautiful small rustic cabin that sits next to the small babbling creek. The cabin has a phone charger, binoculars, identification books for bird watching, a full size memory foam mattress on frame, and is decorated with amazing photographs taken by Sol. As the only site that allows wood campfires, sit around the fire pit overlooking the Columbia and watch eagles dive for fish,ships sail inland, and the sun set over the mouth of the mighty river. This site also includes a picnic table and THE CLEANEST porta potty I have ever seen!

After touring the Rose Garden, we head up the road to the parking area for the Creekside Gardens and the Orchid Garden. A second very clean porta potty can be found here as well. From the parking area, head down into an enchanting forest soaking up the ambiance of sun rays peeking through the trees, the soothing chatter of the creek, and fragrance of the berry bushes and roses. Set your tent up on a bed of moss next to the creek or head up a small hill to a grassy area and picnic table that overlook the Columbia. When in season you’ll find no shortage of wild berries to forage for in the Creekside Gardens.

From the Creekside Gardens, keep heading up the hillside for a moderately steep 5-minute climb to access the most secluded campsite -- the Orchid Garden. This campsite is hidden in a forest of alders, maples, and massive ferns. Here you will find a hand-built wickiup tucked in the hillside. The wickiup even has solar lights to add to the enchanting ambiance of the forest.

The Orchid Garden is a true forest sanctuary. I enjoyed the solitude and the silence other than the leaves rustling in the light breeze. I loved being able to sit and just soak up Mother Nature’s good tidings.

In the morning, I took a short walk down the hill to sit and journal on the shores of the mouth of the Columbia River. It was the perfect nature retreat that I was looking for.

RANGER REVIEW

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I am fortunate enough to try out new gear from time to time. On this trip, I tried out a pair of Midland X-Talker T61VP3 walkie talkies. Although I was heading out on a solo camping trip, I thought the NOAA weather alert feature would come in handy.

I was planning on sleeping in the wickiup but the mosquitoes in the lush forest in June were insane and very hungry! I quickly realized I would not be able to sleep in the wickiup without being eaten alive. Thankfully I had brought my tent and set it up as a makeshift mosquito net. Since the wickiup is tucked into the hillside there wasn’t a spot for my tent except partially shoved in the wickiup which in turn prevented me from putting my rainfly on. This is when my Midland radio came in handy.

I used the NOAA weather feature to check the forecast. I was relieved to hear there was a clear night without rain in the forecast. I was able to avoid being feasted on by skeeters and slept without my rainfly and without worry inclement weather.

I was very impressed with the ease of use of the radio. The weather broadcast came in crisp and clear even in the dense forest. I have used these radios on every camping and backpacking trip since. I love having access to NOAA weather broadcasts while in the backcountry. These radios also came in handy when backpacking with friends and trying to find a campsite around a crowded alpine lake. I will never go into the wilderness without these radios - whether I’m by myself or with a group these radios come in handy.

These small but mighty walkie talkies are packed with powerful features. Check out their website for all the specs and features - they have lots of radios to choose from. I know you’ll find one that fits your needs and you’ll love having these walkie talkies in your gear kit as I love mine!

Hipster and over priced

This place was a great idea that just tried to do too much, then charged too much. They have a hotel, a hostel, covered camping, open camping and rv parking all in a very tiny spot. The van/rv parking is just a large gravel lot with power and i think water hookups. We only used power. The covered tent sites are very odd. Like camping in a carport. One table, one tent, 3 walls and a permanent canvas tarp overhead. Our parents stayed in a hotel room which was nice, very hipster instagram cute. We also checked out the hostel space and it seemed great. Probably the best deal here since you get all the shared extras for less cost. The big draws here are the shared amenities, a field between the tents and vans with a stage where they often have bands in the summer. A communal cooking area with grills, prep area and sinks and inside they serve coffee and beer in the morning and afternoon respectively. I followed and donated to these guys when they were on kickstarter pitching it as a place for surfers to hang and an alternative to the rv laden state parks. Then when it finally happened it was at prices that surfers would rather stay at the state parks than pay extra for less space. I think they got their wires crossed. But for what they are they do it right. Pay a little extra and post lots of photos of almost camping.

The back up plan

This is the backup plan when you want a last minute spot and Twin Harbors is booked up. Nothing online. This is run by a very nice older lady who will take call in reservations but always seems to be more full when you call than they are when you arrive. Last stay she said I got one of the last sites and it was maybe 30% full. The tent sites are variable in size from a single tent to a party zone open field. There are bathrooms but I never noticed if there were showers since we shower after surfing at westhaven. She has plenty of rv spots and plenty of long term residents. The best thing about Kila hana is you can almost always get a site and it' s inside city limits so you can have a fire when there is a burn ban on twin harbors.

Beach fun within walk

This is the spot to camp if your heading to westport, wa. The A side, sites 192-299 are the best for summer camping but in the late fall and winter this side can get flooded out and it is often closed. There are trails that lead thru the woods out to the beach and for the less adventurous you can follow a paved road just to the north. There is a winery/restaurant within walking distance that was recently rebuilt. There is a gas station just down the road for the few things you forgot and right beside the gas station is a great help yourself firewood seller with very reasonable prices for the area.

The A side has two bathroom buildings with showers that are coin operated but you have to get coins at the ranger station at the main entrance on B side. Make sure you pick up a few to save a walk. You can also rent cabins or yurts on the A side.

The B side offers better RV access with hookups and a dump site. The tent sites on the B side are slightly more closed in with a cozy woodsy feel.

Bring the bug spray, the mosquitos can get rampant during the wetter times since there is often standing water thru the bogs and marsh nearby.

Down the road is the cute town of westport where you can catch your own fish or buy fresh caught right off the docks. If you missed Brady's oyster farm on the way in you can pick up some at Merinos along with a great selection of seasonal local caught fish.

Very Much Worth It!

As I was driving out to the Staircase Area entrance of the Olympic National Park I wondered if it was worth it but oh how wrong I was! The drive is a little long along a dirt road that can be a little rough at times. The stretch along man made Lake Cushman is gorgeous. On Labor Day I was one of two campers in the campground which always makes me a little nervous in an area with large predators. The riverside sites are picturesque and I can imagine that the campground gets pretty full in high season. There are lots of little swimming holes but along the campground and a short walk away. The hiking trails are well maintained and pretty popular. I wish I spent more time there!

So worth it!