About Staircase Campground

Campground is located in old growth forest, along the Skokomish River in the southeastern corner of Olympic National Park.  It is the nearest park campground to Hood Canal, Bremerton, and Tacoma.

Price
$20.00
National Park Service
Staircase Campground is located in Olympic National Park in Washington
Directions
Take Highway 119 from Hoodsport (Highway 101); turn left on Route 19 and follow signs to Staircase.
9 Reviews of Staircase Campground
Amazing!!

Great campsite! All walkuo sites so make sure to get there early. Saw two bald eagles on the way in.

Lovely

Great place quiet sound of the river roaring. Never super crowded

Quiet campground with lots to do

Beautiful old growth campground with multiple hiking trails. Decent privacy with larger campsites. We used the walk-in sites near the river bank during the off-season (=FREE!). Only 2 other campers during our stay, very quiet. Dogs allowed. Close to Mt. Elinor.

Very Much Worth It!

As I was driving out to the Staircase Area entrance of the Olympic National Park I wondered if it was worth it but oh how wrong I was! The drive is a little long along a dirt road that can be a little rough at times. The stretch along man made Lake Cushman is gorgeous. On Labor Day I was one of two campers in the campground which always makes me a little nervous in an area with large predators. The riverside sites are picturesque and I can imagine that the campground gets pretty full in high season. There are lots of little swimming holes but along the campground and a short walk away. The hiking trails are well maintained and pretty popular. I wish I spent more time there!

Last week of summer vacation

Great spot a few hours from home. My sons and I loved it

Best Labor Day ever!

The campsites were clean and quiet, despite the lack of privacy between most of them. The grounds were well-kept and there were plenty of things for children and families to do in the immediate vicinity. My family enjoyed it so much that we elected to stay another night. It was surprisingly empty over the Labor Day weekend last year, and the nearby Steilacoom River rushing past our campsite was a soothing sound at night.

Fall colors

Well, it's fall and the evergreen state has more than green on its color wheel! The campground can be quite busy in the summer but the fall has its quite moments. The campground has plenty of space and options, whether you want to be by the river or not.

Another great campground

Medium size campground with around 50 sites. The sites are non-reservable and cost $20 per night. The campground is seasonal with its amenities. There are pit toilets and no water available during the off season. Flush toilets and potable water are available in the on season.

There is great hiking in this area and lots of wildlife can be spotted.

By the Fabulous Mt. Ellinor

Campsite by a nice river, with an easy attached hike to a large-bouldered river area, and right by the fantastically challenging and beautiful Mt. Ellinor hike. In fact, this campsite is a nice trail gateway to Olympic National Park. Ranger station as you drive in, different elevations for each set of campsites. A bit more secluded, but well worth the drive. Do it.