Standard (Tent/RV)
Yurts
About Goblin Valley

The campground at Goblin Valley State Park consists of 25 sites and two yurts. Goblin Valley camping is divided into ten walk-in tent pads, fourteen RV spaces, and one group site able to accommodate up to 35 people. Showers and flush toilets, as well as a communal water and dump station are all available free of charge. All sites contain a picnic table, metal fire ring, and shade shelter.

Cowboys searching for cattle first discovered secluded Goblin Valley. Then in the late 1920s, Arthur Chaffin, owner/operator of the Hite ferry, and two companions were searching for an alternative route between Green River and Caineville. They came to a vantage point about a mile west of Goblin Valley and were awed by what they saw, five buttes and a valley of strange-shaped rock formations surrounded by a wall of eroded cliffs.

In 1949, Chaffin returned to the area he called Mushroom Valley. He spent several days exploring the mysterious valley and photographing its scores of intricately eroded creatures. The area was acquired by the state of Utah and in 1964 was officially designated a state park.

Goblin Valley State Park is a showcase of geologic history. Exposed cliffs reveal parallel layers of rock bared by erosion. Because of the uneven hardness of sandstone, some patches resist erosion much better than others. The softer material is removed by wind and water, leaving thousands of unique, geologic goblins. Water erosion and the smoothing action of windblown dust work together to shape the goblins.

Bedrock is exposed because of the thin soil and lack of vegetation. When rain does fall, there are few plant roots and little soil to capture and hold the water, which quickly disappears, in muddy streams without penetrating the bedrock.

Hike In
Max Length: 50 ft.
Goblin Valley is located in Utah
31 Reviews of Goblin Valley
Goblin and Hoodoos

As expected, a trip to Goblin Valley State Park in August is HOT; but, not to the point it was unbearable! We tented this trip and the campground had plenty of space for tents and RVs. We did escape the heat by hiking Bell Canyon just a short drive north of the campground. The slot canyon provided relief from the heat and some great hiking. The Hoodoos were awesome and are well worth the trip.

The campground was very strict about the 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM noise policy. A buddy turned on his generator around 6:50ish AM to brew some Java and was promptly found and advised to turn off the noise (serves him right!!)

The restroom and showers were in great condition and did not have that outhouse smell that makes you want to pass out and puke at the same time.

This is on my list of places to revisit.

Girls Winter Weekend

I guess you could say I’m the adventurous one of my friends. I was thrilled when I convinced them to come camping in winter, and we compromised with staying in a yurt. We had the whole park to ourselves and desert fox friends. We woke up to snow in the red rocks and made memories we will never forget.

A MUST!!

The campground is perfect. The bathrooms were great and weren't horrible like most places. The little Goblins are fun for all ages. The kid enjoy playing tag and other games while the adults can explore some of the magnificent cave in the back left side of the valley. It truly is amazing, I can't believe how nature created such a place as this one.

Picture perfect!

I absolutely loved this campground. It's nested right up against red rock sandstone walls and the views are amazing. The night sky was something I've never seen, so unreal! Loved this spot

Camping on public lands outside of Goblin Valley State Park

Our group was approaching Goblin Valley State Park around 8 pm and stopped at a gas station in Hanksville, Utah. A worker at the station gave us the great advice to save a few dollars and enjoy a more desolate camping experience by utilizing the BLM land along UT-24. We took a 4x4 road (38.460945, 110.674291) and drove up for about 15 minutes to the top of a ridge line at dusk until we found a flat spot to pitch our tent and an existing fire ring. When we woke up we were astounded by the magnificent views. I would definitely recommend camping here if you are in the area and looking for a primitive spot to get away from civilization in the desert.

A blast of weirdness

Beautiful red alien design of rocks all through the valley. One of the funniest and most interesting places to visit. But super hot! 've sure to go in the spring or fall if you want to avoid being cooked alive.

Perfect Weekend Trip

The park and campground are small and the camp sites are fairly close to one another, so it's likely that you will hear and interact with other campers. The campground is a short hike and even shorter drive to the goblins and the grounds itself is surrounded by red rock that you can climb and explore. I stayed in a tent, but there are yurts available as well. It's also about a 10-20 minute drive to Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyon if you're interested in slot canyons. Very family friendly. I'd also recommend the Goblin's Lair hike. My favorite by far in the park.

Goblin Valley

This place was really cool to see. I'd always heard about it but this was my first time going. We had a campsite by the cliffs that had cool rock formations that resembled little goblins. The site had a covered and walled in picnic table because the winds can get pretty nasty out there with all the dust and there wasn't a lot of shade so the covering was nice for that. The site we were at was 25 bucks a night but that also included the park fee. The site wasn't in the park itself but was near by. There were flush toilets and showers as well which is always a plus while camping. We had a good time here and it was fun even just sticking around the camp site all day.

Surreal landscapes!

Goblin Valley is amazing! If you want to camp at the state park campground any given weekend in the spring-fall, I would highly recommend planning ahead and making a reservation. There is other camping on the BLM land wherever you'd like. Remember to bring firewood! Worth the visit, the landscape is surreal! Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons are near Goblin Valley. They are family friendly, nontechnical walk through Canyons.

Winter camping in Goblin Valley

Nice campground with vault toilets and water. There is an amphitheater for some impromptu performances as well. This was the absolutely the coldest camping I've ever done. On this January night it got down to -20F. Hiking through the Goblins the next day by ourselves was so worth it though. In the summer it gets very hot here btw. Plan on over 100F most days from June through August.