About Lake Hartwell State Park

Hike In
Lake Hartwell State Park is located in Hartwell Lake in South Carolina
6 Reviews of Lake Hartwell State Park
Campground

We went with friends 10 years ago when they had a pop up camper. It was a lot of fun. Met lots of people and I got hit in the eye ball with a football because I was having a lot of fun. Had a bbq grill to grill burgers steaks whatever you want to grill. You can fish there too. I love the experience I would go back. It’s far from me now.

August 2018 - OK park but Fire Ant infestation

It's a really great park. We stayed in the rustic tent site T8, and was quite surprised it had a water spicket (faucet) for easy water access. (Something we may have overlooked as a site feature, as it was our first visit). Our only complaint was the entire campsite was one large fire ant hill! We had to travel to the local dollar general to get ant spray to help with the infestation. We only camp rustic so we're used to bugs but this was insane. Every step we took or every place we sat would soon be swarmed with ants as that's what fire ants do. Once we sprayed the area we were finally able to safely enjoy our campsite. The view was wonderful! Besides the ants it was a fantastic campsite! (BTW I would not recommend hammock camping here as the ants were also on a lot of trees, ropes we had were covered when we took them down) Will provide photos I took off all the rustic sites: T3 - T8

Scout camp ground

We have camped here once so I have not seen the whole park. Be the group Primitive area is great on the left side of the area. The right side has been over used and the ground has washed and the only place to Pitch a tent is on camping pads that are on the small size for a large groups. But all in all the park is well Kept and Bathhouse well Maintain. The park is Very beautiful. Great for large groups.

On the lake & shady

We had a shady spot with a lake view that was peaceful. You can put in your kayaks right from your campsite. The bathrooms were nearby, but not very clean. We went on a holiday weekend and there were some partiers that were loud all day, but respected the noise guidelines at night. There was a big camp store. We went to the marina restaurant for lunch one day that wasn’t too far away. You can rent boats there which is also a nice option.

Years of Memories

I have been going to this campground for years! Love it!

Shoulder Season Sweetness!

Camping and hiking in the fall when everyone else is either working or choosing to hunker down inside…is premeire!

Happening upon Lake Hartwell State Park, was a find! We were traveling light, heading to the Hendersonville, NC area for bagging waterfalls and cascades and some ridge hikes. So we opted to rent one of their camper cabins. Spartan to be sure..its dry, solid and has a door. Oh, and it had a window AC unit…but it was plenty cool enough. Nearby were the showers and restroom facilities. For all practical purposes…we had the entire campground to ourselves. The park is clean, well-maintained and well staffed. The rangers were helpful in pointing us in the correct direction for dayhikes and local points of interest.

The Stumphouse Tunnel was of particular interest and made for a great hike centered around pre Civil War era. Station Cove Falls were beautiful and the Oconee Station State Historic Site were delightful and well preserved. A military Outpost and Indian Trading Post from the late 1700's were awesome!

Back to the campground. Our cabin rental was located on a pennisula and because the water levels of Lake Hartwell were down, we had plenty of beach area to comb. Lots of downfall was present for scavenging…so our campfires were splendid. The weather was fairly decent…and we enjoyed unseasonably warm days while we were there.

I'd definitely like to revisit, under the same circumstances…but would bring a tent…and my canoe.