the dyrt
Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Burrells Ford
Burrells Ford campground is open year round with no charge. A pit toilet and picnic tables are available. Walk .25 miles to camp on the Chattooga River.
Hike In, Boat In
National Forest
Burrells Ford is located in South Carolina
6 Reviews of Burrells Ford
Awsome camp site in the middle of nowhere

I did not camp here yet. I start my hike here. Have to say I can not wait to camp here. It is a bit of a walk down a rode to get here and saw a Father and son taking there stuff down with a hand truck which is a very good idea. So you can either backpack it in or take a wagon to take your stuff in. Nice sites by the river and lots of secluded sites.

Free campground, Picnic table/firepit/trash dropoff, Great spot!

My husband and I ventured to Burrells Ford Campground after finding it online. In typical us-fashion, we arrived just as it was getting dark and the parking lot was very full. We asked a fellow camper the best route to get to the campsites and she gave 3 options - 1) Hike a mile in using the trail directly behind the welcome sign which would ensure us the highest likelihood of getting an open campsite, 2) Hike the trail up ahead which was shorter but likely had no open spots, 3) Drive up the road, park along the road and hike in to try to get a spot in that area. We were now under the impression that there were three site areas. We decided to take the longer route so we could get to a site faster…

After a mile hike carrying all our stuff with our dog, on a narrow root filled path, we ended up picking a flat spot along the river…not thinking we'd make it to an actual spot that night. We set up shop and ate some dinner. Our dog seemed ansy to walk a bit more, so we took her and not more than .25 miles further opened up to a gravel road…and what was just across the road? An open site with all the amenities! We carried all our stuff of, had a fire and relaxed the rest of the evening. We woke up the next day to find tons of open spots!! We hiked to a beautiful waterfall the next morning (we passed signs along the way the night before), and ventured back to our car. We took the other trail after we got back to the parking lot to see how close those campsites were… .25 easy miles later, we arrived to our very own campsite that we slept the night before…

SO! All that to say, take the trail with the gravel road and gate in front of it. The hike is easy and there are lots of spots available. Live and ya learn I guess! Definitely made for a memorable adventure, as they always are. :)

Great Place to camp

We love camping here!

Great Private Campsites on the river.

Great for swimming and Hammocking!

Good river access for trout fishing

Good amount of camping with a short hike in. Sites are right on the Chatooga River. This river is stocked with trout. Fishing license is required but both SC and GA are acceptable as the river is the state line. Short hike to King Creek Falls.

Ranger Review: Cold Pruf Base layer at Burrell's Ford Campground

Campground Review:

In March 2017, our family of 6 went on our 1st overnight backpacking trip. A friend had recommended the Chattooga River Trail in South Carolina. After acquiring some extra gear for the kids, we headed up from Florida. The forecast was showing 30's as low and we were a little worried. Our plan was to start on the north end of River trail and hike for a few days camping in between. The Ranger there sold us a map of the trail since the ones online were not so great. We were anxious to see some of the beautiful waterfalls along the way(not well marked). Day 1 was a nice walk from Fish Hatchery Parking lot to Burrell's Ford campground, mostly along the river. We noticed that the temps seemed to be dropping along our walk and there was actually a little snow/sleet falling on us…. uh oh! We set up camp after about 4.5 miles at Burrell's Ford.It was primitive of course with a picnic table, fire ring and high wire system for storing food, etc. from the animals. All the sites were fairly level and clear for tents. There was a vault toilet at the top of the hill and a parking lot about .5 miles away for easy access. (Of course, we parked in the lot 4.5 miles away)

Before we could get our tents set up, dinner made and gear stowed up high for the night, we were freezing! It dropped to 17 degrees and our plan to stay in 2 tents quickly changed to everybody in the 4-man / 3-season tent that we had just purchased. The wind was whistling down the river next to us and we debated making the trip back to the parking lot over and over. In the end, we stuck it out and hunkered down for a long, cold night. Morning couldn't come soon enough. I think that I slept a total of 2 hours on and off. My husband had fallen the night before and injured his leg so walking back to the Fish Hatchery lot wasn't really an option. At daybreak, he asked for a ride from a nearby camper fishing on the river. He consulted with his group and they said "yes". Overjoyed that we would be rescued from the cold soon, I quickly began packing up camp; ignoring my frozen fingers and toes. After he hadn't returned in what seemed like several hours, I began to worry. I grabbed my 2 little guys (8 & 9 years old) and as much as we could carry and began walking the 1/2 mile to the nearest parking lot at Burrell's Ford. Soon after, he pulled in the lot and we were rescued from the cold!

Long story short….. this was a beautiful hike spoiled by a crazy weather pattern and we will definitely be going back for a do-over!

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested some [Cold Pruf](http://Cold Pruf) base layers: women's honeycomb pant and performance crew. I was very pleased with the softness of the ployester/spandex blend fabric. It was comfortable and lightweight. No scratchy areas on seams and it is tagless. This kept my core warm in 17 degree weather. Very thankful to have worn them. It was a necessity in this situation and I recommend to always be prepared for the cold.