Water Unknown
About Jackson F. Kimball State Park
Jackson F. Kimball State Park is located in Oregon
7 Reviews of Jackson F. Kimball State Park
beautiful spring/creek

This campground is one of my favorites and is home to a beautiful crystal clear natural spring. It is well maintained, clean, and has picnic tables. It looked like there are stables available. We went kayaking and it was a nice calm gorgeous spot. Perfect spot for a campground.

Wanted to love it

Pristine water! It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I love how primitive and small the campground is, and it would have been perfect but we set up camp and then noticed a massive, fresh bear scat about 15 feet away from our tent. Ok, not the end of the world. Then other campers came by to warn us there was an active bear who destroyed their food and gear the previous night. Ok, not great. We decided to stick it until said bear showed up at dinner time and had ZERO fear of us. He was willing to get way too close after several attempts to chase him off. He wasn't afraid of anything. Not our car horn, not banging pots and pans, not me aggressively yelling and clapping at him. We tried for close too an hour to chase him out of camp but to no avail. We had a toddler and weren't willing to stick around to see how much more friendly he could be. My problem with this campground is the lack of proper bear boxes and trash cans. Clearly, the bears realize it's easy pickings here and all they have to do is rummage through people's gear to find an easy food source. It's not good for the bears. I'm an avid camper and have had bear experiences before but this bear was entirely too comfortable with humans. I hope this park makes it safer for the bears and campers by providing proper food and garbage storage units. I plan on coming back though. The water was so amazing. And pack the bug spray. The mosquitos were more aggressive than the bear.

Tucked Away and Serene

Day 2 - Pacific North Quest (Crater Lake) 🏞

After sleeping in our cars at the bottom of Lassen Peak, we were excited to find this tucked away and relaxing spot just off of the road before Crater Lake.

The campgrounds is dotted with tall pine trees and sits next to a gorgeous river that comes out of the hillside just a short walk away. I’d imagine getting here early during peaks season would be key as there are only a handful of campsites. Early in the season however, it was uncrowded and an easy jump off point for our afternoon/evening ski mission to hike into and ski The Watchman Crater Lake.

Check out the three other campgrounds we visited (Prairie Campground, Smith Rock State Park, and Trillium Lake), on our Pacific North Quest summer ski touring trip and download the Snowledge App to see some incredible photos, along with touring stats and maps from each mission.

Hidden Gem

Perfect little spot off the main road. not many sites but plenty of parking

Waters like Hawaii

Kimball state park was such a beautiful place for me to be able to camp! I ended up there after tragic news, connecting with nature is something that is so healing for me. My boyfriend, dog, and I made it home for two nights. We had brought our kayaks and launched right off the bank. It was also an off time at the end of September so we were practically the only ones. The bathrooms are nice, but it was recommended by the parks employees to keep the doors open for circulation. Every spot had room for a fire and a table. Will be back for sure.

Hidden gem just a little off the beaten path

I know the pictures are hard to believe, but yes, it's really that pretty! The campground is situated right next to a beautifully clear blue river and wooded hillsides—perfect for early morning serenity. Most of the sites are very near to each other without dividers, which could make it feel a little crowded if the campground gets full. But if you show up on a non-peak day and get lucky, you might just have the whole thing to yourself! If you do come on a busy time, look for the site past a big log at the very far end of the loop. It's all by itself which would provide some nice separation if you need it, plus it's invisible from the road so it might not be claimed yet!

There's no potable water, but the river is clear enough that you could easily boil or purify as much as you need. The vault toilets were nice and clean and pleasant. They didn't seem to have any firewood available at the campground, so you might want to plan ahead on that. There were a few bugs when we were there in late May, but nothing terrible.

Easily worth a visit! This is camping the way it's supposed to be—quiet, pretty, and just a little rough.

primitive

site: primitive site. site near to lagoon. private. amenities: no water. decently clean facilities. attractions: near Crater Lake State Park. I would go camping here next time we visit Crater Lake.