Hillsboro, OREGON

Most Recent Hillsboro Camping Reviews
Our Favorite State Park

Yes it can be busy but we love it here. We mainly come weekdays & off season. The camp ground is clean and the beach is lovely. We like that you can walk into Manzanita or bike. It’s quite. On second thought, don’t come here😉

Love This Park

Good times.

River and trees

Nice campground along the river. Some sites have river views.

In the trees

Small campground in the trees. You can hear the river. Paths lead to a few small areas by the river.

Clean, Basic, Cheap, Right on Freeway

Not really our style, since we travel with kids and are looking for things to do (trees, playgrounds, pools, etc.), but for what it is, this is a decently priced, clean, basic RV Park. I didn't get the same creepy feeling of long-timers staring at us when pulling up that I get at other parks, but rather it's nice people (mostly full-time RV retirees) who are here to stay for a week or a month and then move on to the next place.

Location is literally right on the freeway (back wall shares a wall with I-5). Plenty of noise, but not as bad as it could have been.

Compared to other places nearby, the price is great (about$35), and you're right in Vancouver and near Portland. I don't think we'd go back again since it's not our thing, but could be fine if cheap, convenient, and clean is what you're looking for.

Not for Us. More Full Timers than Overnight Camping

I'd give this place about 2.5 stars. On one hand, it's quite cute in a gnome-fairy in the woods kind of way. Absolutely amazing, huge trees in the back half that look like a wonderland.

But really this is a place more for full-timers or at least long-timers, which we are not. They're even set up more for full-timers with things like permanent mail boxes.

It's also not super kid-friendly. Most people were older when we were there, and it's not full of many things for the kids to do other than run around the woods (which is nice and all, but couldn't find a playground, pool, etc.). I could see my parents liking this place though (an older generation).

Pros:

• Clean enough.
  • Amazing Trees.
  • Quaint.

Cons:

• Main phone number disconnected (as of when I wrote this review).
  • Pretty much all full-timers, or long-timers.
Nice hiker-biker area

I camped one night here while on my bicycle tour along the Oregon coast. The hiker-biker area is pretty nice with one exception… the bathroom is really quite a long way away, especially important during the nighttime walk in the pouring rain… that’s the only reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars. There are raised areas for you to put your tent which are filled with nice packed sand. There is an area with lockers for the biker- hiker campers to store their food and other items in. Also included is a bike repair stand - looked to be in good condition although I didn’t need to use it.

Awesome state park

Love this camp ground just the perfect little spot to have a base camp and explore the Oregon coast! Spots are nice pretty private as far as distance but there could be more trees between. It’s the beach!

Choose this park!

This was a beautiful, quiet cove with a view of the water and mountains. The people who run it are very nice also. The price is reasonable. I would highly recommended this park.

Nice and Easy

This is  simple, primitive campground mostly centered around a small picturesque lake.

There are a few other sites dispersed in the area. One of the best ones is just around the bend from the lake sites and its of the road and gets more sun, if thats your thing.

When i visited mid week in July it was empty.

Its quite a distance on sometimes very rough gravel roads, with no tirn outs and sometimes large drops on one side, so be very careful with log trucks .

But i made it OK with my beat up old Grand Caravan.

Enjoyed

Pretty Good close in campground

It's not bad at all, just right off of the highway.

Beautiful Campground with Huge Trees and Lots of Waterfalls

Since we had a wedding to attend in Oregon, it gave me a chance to visit Silver Falls State Park. My first impression was how crowded the campground was during the middle of the week. The bath house was more than I expected, especially for a state park. I don’t know whether or not the other Oregon State Parks have modern bath house facilities like this one, but I was impressed. The campsite that I chose was flat and had plenty of shade, and the trees were huge. As a lover of all things natural, especially trees, this was great. It hadn’t rained in a while, so I couldn’t judge how well the site would drain, especially since there were no raised tent pads. The main attraction for this large state park is obviously centered on waterfalls and trails. I didn’t get a chance to explore all of them, but the ones I did get to see were impressive. South Falls is a short hike, and you can walk behind it. From the bridge facing the waterfall, it looks like the Garden of Eden. You can also walk to the top of the waterfall. North Falls also is a short hike. Although it is not as high as South Falls, it is one that is worth the hike. The main campground areas were booked, but the group camping area had quite a few sites available the first day we were there. However, the next day, the group camping area was also filling up since it was getting closer to the weekend. Overall, I was impressed with this campground. Unfortunately, I probably will not get to visit it again for quite a while since I live 2,500 miles away. With that said, I do highly recommend this state park and campground.

Tricky to find, but one of the most magical camping locations

We arrived really late and it was really tricky for us to find the place as it's not really a campsite but more like awesome spots by the river without any signs. We recommend you arriving during the day as it was just pure luck, we picked probably the most amazing spot here. We found it somewhere in between the 11th and 12th mileposts. There is a narrow path towards the river, first we thought we might gonna get stuck, but it immediately opened up to a spacious big area where 2-3 cars/RVs could easily fit.

It's a dispersed camp so there is no infrastructure around it, but there was a built fireplace there.

Probably the most amazing part of it was when in the morning we found an other really narrow path towards the river which again opened up and we walked to the beautiful shore of the river, where we had the chance to dip in the river.

All in all we were super surprised and happy that we spend a night here.

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state park's camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

The best part about the campsite is that it's located in the middle of the statepark, there are plenty of trailheads around. We did the whole trail of ten falls - about 10 miles, and we definitely recommend it. The day-use area is also recommended. As it was raining the whole day, we really appreciated, that it was one of the rare places where we found covered grill area so we could prepare lunch here without getting wet.

All in all an A+++ location

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state parks camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

All in all an A+++ location

This park is small and right off and busy road

They have a restroom, great spot to fish, but not many spot to camp and no serene surroundings…

Suprised

When we pulled in with our 40' Coach I thought oboy I blew it. Getting into our site was a little tight but doable. We were in a pull through tucked in the forest with full hookups. A fire pit and picnic table too! If you go camping to stay inside our Verizon phones, Sprint hot spot and over the air TV all worked. You can hear the train in a distance and a little traffic. It is a great spot and we will come here again.

All Around Great

This was my first visit to Cape Lookout, or camping on the Oregon coast, for that matter. The RV sites are separated from the tent sites, which is nice. Most of the tent sites are fairly open, some of them have more privacy, but all of them are very green and incredibly close to the beach while still being somewhat protected from the wind coming off of the ocean.

Bathrooms were relatively clean, though you always have someone emptying all of their camp trash in the bathroom trash can (pizza boxes? Really?) so it's hard to keep up. Staff were knowledgeable and helpful.

A truly beautiful place.

Pretty and Close, but a Little Noisy

We took off from Portland around 4pm on a Friday and got to the campground around 6. Be careful with Apple Maps, I think they routed us to the historical campground and had us going about 10 miles past the site.

This was our first time camping in the Tillamook; and was cool to see the differences between it and Mt Hood. There were tons of birds, rabbits, and chipmunks at the site.

The river was super clear, with a rocky beach and some beautiful formations a bit to the west.

We were there the first weekend in September and it was remarkably empty. I think two of the sites in the K loop were occupied.

We opted for K4 which was farther from the parking lot, and closer to the river. Unfortunately, closer to the river meant closer to the highway, too. So we never really got the serenity of a site further off the path. Not a big deal, but since I live near a highway, I welcome the break when I can get it.

The other problem with K4 was that you had trails on either side of the site, so it wasn’t the most private. I think K6 might be the best spot in the loop, but you may get additional noise from the parking lot and squeaky water pump.

Okay, Not Great

So much potential being right on the Willamette River, but unfortunately there is basically no view of the water. We had a rough visit that I’m sure was an anomaly. We had a change of itinerary that brought us to Woodburn and had to arrive with no reservations. There were sites available (after Labor Day) so no problem. Were were told to “pick any unreserved site” so we did so. Got unhooked, leveled, and fully set up, then went to register for the night when the ranger told me that the site was reserved. IT WAS NOT TAGGED. So, we had to pack up and move. Total bummer. Beside that, the park is unwatered and was just dry and unattractive. Upside was spacious sites in B loop, but we just had the view of a dried out field. Paved sites, level, with plenty of electric/water sites. I wouldn’t stay here again unless it was in the spring.

Not Camping, Nice Park

Okay, this isn’t really camping, it’s more like parking in a parking lot so don’t have an expectation that it’s a camping atmosphere. That being said, this is a very nice place to get off I-5 and park an RV with all the amenities. You can walk to several restaurants and the outlet mall. There is a great laundry room, clean bathrooms and showers, pool, pet areas, and nicely paved, level, but crowded sites.

One down side

Campgrounds: Some were very apparent that it was smaller than other sites, but I loved that each site came with picnic table. Also some camp sites did not accommodate for multiple tents because uneven grounds and tree stumps, so bringing a air mattress or a mat would be helpful.

Amenities: Bathrooms are actually flushing water visible ones. Showers are available at a cost. It’s not bad at all, easy to use. Well maintained.

Park: Even though it’s a short distance - Drive there, as long as you have camp site parking pass, you should be fine. The river was shallow and dropped to the deep end. It was ideal for children becaus the shallow end stretched a bit and the deeper end was the other side .

One down side to the whole experience: Freeway is really really close to the whole camp site. You can hear vehicles at night. If you’re a light sleeper or need nature noises when camping - this is not the site for you. Other than that , i had a good time and felt a lot of what the camp site had to offer was great!

On the flip side, If you messed up and forgot something, wal mart or convenient store was nearby.

Not bad for overnight

Tight small spots next to the water. Great wildlife viewing. Charge 5 quarters for 5 minute shower additional to cost for night. Wouldn’t want to spend a week here but for one night stop not too bad.

Hidden gem

Beautiful wooded site with good basic amenities (showers and large clean toilets) –  perfect for a self-contained campervan. The sites were large – two cars and three tents – and reasonably priced, and being in among the trees our site felt more private than a standard RV park. We had our own picnic table and a firepit with built in grill, and logs were available to buy onsite. Very peaceful at night, and amazing view of the stars. Would definitely stay here again.

We managed to book a place here at short notice for a busy weekend in August, when all the State campsites were completely booked up. You can book online via the Tillamook County Parks Department site (the booking page was a little glitchy and the box to enter your booking dates occasionally disappeared, but switching between the 'Camping/RV' and 'Day Use/Picnic' tabs brought it back up!) We were glad to get any booking at all, and this was a really pleasant surprise.

Lucky last spot

About 4 years ago my wife, who was my gf then, and I took a road trip to Seattle to see her grandma. While making our way back to Arizona, we decided to cruise down the coast.

We didn’t reserve any camping spots on our trip and just decided we would just decide where we would stay as we went on our trip. After a full day or visiting the Northwest coast of Oregon all day. We needed to find a place to stay around Nehalem. Unfortunately all the state parks were packed and so we’re the local private campgrounds.

So we started making our way south and out of no where we saw signs for this place. It was already dark and we were starting to get desperate to find a place, and lucky for us we got the second to last spot here.

Although the spaces were very near each other, the location of the camping spots was great! With a nice view of the bay and smell of the ocean not far away, we definitely enjoyed our stay at this place that night. If we had more time I think we would of stayed a couple more nights there for sure.

Equestrian Trails!

Great trails that have a little bit of everything. Some of the hills are long and great for but muscles 😂♥️ There were a few issues with bees, or some kind of but that bites, the last time I went (late August) so maybe bring extra fly spray and/or bug replant.

Large and busy but clean.

Nice, clean park. Very large and busy but has nice ameneties.

Cute place right on the beach!

Cape Lookout was an awesome little place right on the beach! I would wake up every morning and go out to the beach to watch the waves. Our stay was relaxing and beautiful. There are a TON of campsites at this campground, so you'll be sure to find one you like. The bathrooms and showers were clean which is always nice. There was a little store that sold firewood, and even a junior ranger program that my little cousins did.

The beach out in front of the campground was super nice, because it was sandy unlike a lot of the other beaches we had seen up the coast. Check out cape lookout trail, it was a nice moderate little hike.  We still got our fill of the rocky beaches when we drove up the washington coast. It wasn't too far, and we spent one day road tripping up and back down the coast looking for cool hikes.

All around great place to stay, no complaints!

An Oregon MUST VISIT!

No matter the time of year, Silver Falls State Park is an Oregon must visit!

Top reasons I love this campground:

• SOOOO much to see and do!
  • Amazing waterfalls (keep in mind they won't be rushing in the heat of the summer).
  • Great programming
  • Beautiful lodge
  • Vast parks and play areas
  • Swimming
Ranger Review: Liquid I.V. at L.L. “Stubb” Stewart

Campground Review: Something for everyone!

Top reasons I love this campground:

• So easy to get to from anywhere in northwestern Oregon; especially the Portland area
  • Open year-round
  • 18-hole disc golf course
  • Great hiking and biking trails
  • Full hook-ups, cabins, equestrian sites, and walk-in tent sites

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, occasionally I get to test products. At this campground, I tested Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier and the Liquid I.V. Sleep night time drink mix. I really liked both products. They are portable, have natural ingredients, taste good and I found them to be effective! Additionally, Liquid I.V. has an incredible social justice cause donating millions of their products to people around the world who are in need of proper hydration. I love that this is a company AND products I feel good about!

Pros:

• Portable
  • Natural ingredients (vitamins, electrolytes, potassium, sodium, glucose)
  • Rapid absorption
  • IT WORKS!!
  • Amazing cause

Cons:

• It’s pricey
  • I wish the Sleep night time drink mix came in another flavor without lavender
  • Contains more sugar than I would like

Overall, I give the product 4.5 stars