Clarkson, NEW YORK

Most Recent Clarkson Camping Reviews
Beautiful park but campground not as nice as other NY state parks

Ranger Review: Men’s Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket at Letchworth State Park

CampgroundReview:

I’ve visited Letchworth State Park, known as the Grand Canyon of the East, in the winter and the summer, but this is the first time in autumn and the first time camping. Although this very large state park is starkly beautiful, the campground is not as nice as other New York state parks we have recently been to. We were in the 600 loop, the farthest from the camp office and closest to the Genesee River (although we could not see it from our site). The sites on the outside of the 600 loop were larger and more private; most of them were pie-shaped and had many trees that provided ample separation. The sites on the inside of the loop were much smaller and less private. The bathrooms were reasonable but dated. The showers did not look very inviting and although I did not use them, I overheard someone comment they were the worst showers they had ever experienced!

I highly recommend the free tour of the Mt. Morris Dam on the other side of the river from the campground. The tour is interesting and lasts approximately one hour. Offered at 2 pm in the offseason and twice per day during the summer.

It rained almost the entire time we were there, so we didn’t take any long hikes. We did a short hike to the Lower Falls. The footbridge was closed for repairs when we were there. The Middle Falls and Upper Falls can be seen with very short walks. There is also a restaurant in the park which was ok but not fantastic

.……………………………………..

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, we tested the Men’s Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket by Red Ledge. The price of this jacket is much less than many other available brands, so we were interested in checking it out and ordered one for my husband.

Positives:

• Affordable price
  • Workmanship appears to be solid and of good quality.
  • Seams are all sealed. Feels comfortable, although the material has a slightly rubbery feel
  • Water beads up very well
  • The waist is adjustable.

Negatives:

• The hood adjustment is a bit awkward
  • There are no zippered air vents at the armpits
  • The front Rapid entry zip pockets are designed to protect your cell phone from rain, but it makes it slightly awkward for slipping your hands in.
  • Ordered size large because the sleeve length on the XL would have been too long, but this did not leave a lot of room for layering.

Bottom line:

Although it is well made and a good value for the price, it is not as functional as my husband would have liked.

Chill

Great place to hangout for a weekend, camp sites are walking distance to the lake. The only thing is the sites are pretty congested so make sure to look at the map before you choose your spot. I recommend site 161 if you can get it.

Decent

Nice pool but rough terrain.

Impressive...

What an impressive, pristine, and maintained park and campground. A good trail system, plenty of overlooks, good facilities, restaurants and shops. It’s one of the better parks I’ve visited. Campground is standard but elevated by its context

Quiet and friendly

Back to the basics, not resorty, love it we have tent camped here and also brought our pop up for a week

Beautiful, Friendly, Quiet

We had a great experience here at Beaver Meadow. The terrain was hilly and fun to navigate, the store was well stocked, the fish in the pond were hungry and active. The golf cart rental was pretty steep compared to all other campgrounds.

Beautiful views

Highly recommend going to the middle falls at night to see them lit up (when driving watch out for bears, deer, and raccoons). Many opportunities to hike as long or as little as you want, or just drive through and stop at the many viewpoints. The park has several spots to grab a bite to eat, and just outside the park is small town convenient for whatever you may need.

Perfect getaway

The campgrounds are not too close together, allowing you to have a little spot in the woods to yourself. All spots have a picnic table, a fire pit, and room for 2 cars. Each loop of campsites has a clean bathroom and shower facility. About $25 a night, which was definitely worth it. The location in the park is super convenient for driving to the falls or finding a trail to hike. Will definitely be back

Beautiful!

Wonderful park. The canyon was incredible, and lots of look out spots. The roads, and trails, and lookout points are all well constructed, and flow well. The scenery is remarkable, and there is a lot of informative boards, dedicated benches that provide a lot of interesting history and information. 10/10 would recommend.

Darien Lake camping resort

Large campground, with almost every kind of camping available through the park. Cabins,trailers, tents, and every type of space for whatever your mode of camping is. Since it is attached to 6 flags you have every amenity available to you . Campstore, cafe, gift shop, showers and laundry. The only negative and for me it's a big negative is that there are no posted speed limits on the grounds, and I found that the majority of people were driving way to fast with so many kids around

Unbelievable

I dont even know where to start 2 water parks for kids and adults play areas for pets DEFINITELY BRING OR RENT THE GOLF CART , very hilly but tons of fun

Relaxing

Great place to relax and have fun with the family , lots of pets , kids loved the beach and it's only minutes from 6 flags

Great time

Really nice staff! Free putt putt. Clean! So much to do. There is a dog park as well!

Fun

Great place clean camp ground. Lots of fun we had breakfast there and lunch was pretty expensive near the pools. Would not camp there if we weren’t going to Darien lake. We went on that new swing ride that was really high it was a lot of fun!

Awesome

Put put was free. So many things to do with the kids. Heated pools. Beach was clean.

Great fun

The laser show was great. Some of the rides were down so that was annoying. But we all had fun!

Huge campground

This KOA was really big. We came a stayed the weekend, which was packed and very loud. There was a Christmas in July theme and the Christmas lights were honestly annoying. Sunday night rolled around though and everything changed. We did not get to do anyone of the in camp activities because we were doing so much site seeing, but there are two small pools, a pond, basketball courts, play ground and jump pad.

This is about an hour from Niagara.

Relaxing, lots of things to do

Coming to Letchworth will never get old. Love coming here to camp or just spend the day with friends and family. I’ve had graduations, birthdays and anniversaries here for over 40 years. I wish the bathrooms were a bit cleaner. They always seem to feel neglected.

Only if you have to

This campground is only worth staying at if you’re going to the park. The bathrooms are small dirty and there’s not enough of them. The hookups are pathetic most sites I saw that were listed as 30 amp were not and the power box was well in front of your camper and water was on the wrong side of the camper. We had a shaded and wooded site which was ok but the mowing and maintenance was terrible.

Very nice, well maintained. Never a dull weekend.

This campground was very nice and very well maintained. Everyone was friendly. Our arms were sore after the first night from waving to everyone who drove past. Mostly seasonal sites with about 35-40 rentals. The camp store was stocked about as well as Camping world. We needed a hand crank for our tv antenna, yep they had it. Huge lot with activities ever weekend. We will be back and we know what site we want!!

Super Friendly community

This is a great community to camp in.  They only allow seasonal or membership camping- it is not a place that you can just stay for the weekend without a membership.  There are a variety of sites to choose from, some with great water views.  There is a beach and a dog pond, basketball, volleyball, paddle boats, fishing, playground and pavilion.  They offer several community activities as well.  It is a beautiful,private place to camp.

One word to describe the sites here: SPACIOUS

The sites in the loop we stayed in had about 75’ between driveways, all with varying levels of trees/brush between them, very secluded. The beach is a decent little hike, but very easy flat bike ride or about a minute in a car going 15mph. If you want secluded beaches, skip the public beach and head a little West of Area 4, take the sandy path to the water for an amazing hidden grotto. Sites are electric only but with a 100’ hose you can reach a spigot from most any spot to re-fill the camper.

Great little mom and pop campground

The tent sites were great and spaced apart. The owners were very friendly and there was a nice pond. Showers could need updated but it was about what I was expecting. I love little campgrounds like this so it was even better than I was hoping.

Cute cabins and amazing views

We stayed in a cute cabin with running water, a stove, and a heater for cold nights! Outside we had a picnic table and a campfire pit. The park itself has amazing hiking with awesome views. Highly recommend!

Quiet, good 1 night stop over

Nice camp ground, $30/night, quiet, good quick stop over.

Not my favorite

I can't really complain too much about the campground.  The staff was friendly and helpful although I came in after an eight hour drive and totally exhausted.  I wasn't happy when they charged me almost the full price of our stay (yeah, I forgot about that but I didn't have the credit card it was supposed to go on).  Then they charged me $10 for a fob to let me in the gate after hours.  Not quite sure how that was supposed to work since half the time the gate wasn't manned anyway.  At least we got our money back for it but it was one more expense I wasn't expecting. It was frustrating.  The pond was disgusting.  I wouldn't swim in it.  Trash was all over the edge of the pond.  My son and I cleaned up after some guests.  The sites weren't marked.  I drove by our site and had to ask another guest where it was.  The campground is mostly long-term campers.  Most have decks and shrubbery surrounding their rv's.  There were even a couple of mobile homes.  Saturday night was horrible as the golf carts kept going up and down the street until around midnight.  Fortunately, everyone left the next day and the campground was very pleasant to stay in.  The frogs were a hoot and we woke every morning to the cows at the farm next door.  Loved the two pools and the creek.  Nice little snack bar inside the store and office.  Just wish the office opened earlier.  We left at 8 before anyone was there and had to have our refund mailed.  Would I stay there again?  No.  I much prefer state campgrounds.

Great sites, be prepared for fireworks on weekends

I didn’t see a review mentioning that the park has a fireworks and laser light show from 10-11:30PM every Friday and Saturday. The show is right next to the campground. We had just gotten our two kids down to sleep when it started and of course everyone was back up again until Midnight. Other than that the campground was great, well maintained, and there are security trucks enforcing quiet hours, no one around us made a peep after 10, and we saw the guards snuff out a couple partys quickly and quietly. There was a HUGE line for the dump station on Sunday morning, definitely worth the couple extra bucks for full hookup so you can bypass that.

Friendly staff, lots to do.

The staff was really friendly and judging by the regulars, they are always this friendly. There is lots to do, swimming, fishing, volleyball, bike riding, etc.. They were fully booked over fathers day weekend but found a spot for our truck camper with hookups. We will definitely go back.

Peaceful getaway, family and pet friendly

This is a private campground located in Bloomfield, NY right on the Mud Creek. Located close to shopping, wineries, hiking, and concert events. Call for reservation, then they use text to send reservation form, confirmation form and site map. $20 gets you a bucket full of campfire wood delivered directly to your campsite! A pavilion on site offers a sink and refrigerator to use ( must label with name) , FREE games ( pool table, foosball, cards, Cornhole, etc). Don't feel like bringing/ setting up the grill? They have you covered…. Use their full size grills on site! While they have several showers to use, I only found one flush toilet for the ladies to use ( large area but no door or curtain) however, there are Port a pottys to use as well. Sites have picnic table, fire ring, Adirondack chairs, water and electric hookup, and a dump station to use on your way out. If you stay for an extended period, they offer free emptying at your site. Turtle visits are complimentary as well.

Letchworth Campground

Stayed here 1 night in June. They have a peculiar rule at the gate that says to not enter CG if not checked in with the office and to set up in the parking lot; so make sure you get there before the office closes at night. The sites are very close to one another and pretty small. We barely had room for 2 tents. Plenty of tree cover right on the rim of the gorge though. Fire rings and a table are provided at each site.